PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock Rant

Sethdaddy8
02-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Is anyone who watches the NFL network sick of this guy yet? To me, he's never shared enlightening information, he just sort of states the obvious over and over again. And he is so blatantly biased to those guys who perform at NFL covered events like the combine/ Senior bowl week/etc. Last year, because Jay Cutler did the combine, Mayock was ALL OVER his jock. Called him the #1 qb on several occasions. His lack of objectivity just seems to be ridiculous, and his input is next to worthless. So I'm wondering, if Jamarcus and Brady don't compete at the combine, is this yahoo gonna slap Drew Stanton as the best qb in the draft? I'm voting yes.

IAG
02-15-2007, 03:43 AM
I agree. What is his background in assessing players?

DolphinDevil28
02-15-2007, 03:58 AM
Ummmm, maybe that's because Jay Cutler IS the best QB from last year's draft.

I and many others thuroughly agree with Mayock on that one.

Dolfan2788
02-15-2007, 06:21 AM
I dunno.
Over at Draft countdown they hype him like he's god but they jump on anything that's 'hot right now' so their opinion is worth diddly squat in my eyes.

Ohio Fanatic
02-15-2007, 07:11 AM

exactly. He was dead on about Cutler, so you just reinforced his expertise :shakeno:

ChambersWI
02-15-2007, 07:27 AM
hate on him all you want, but come draft time, he's usually the most accurate (called Rodgers dropping to Green Bay a month before the draft, said Whitner and Simms would be top 10 picks, said Leinart would be a Cardinal, ect)

jlfin
02-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Is anyone who watches the NFL network sick of this guy yet? To me, he's never shared enlightening information, he just sort of states the obvious over and over again. And he is so blatantly biased to those guys who perform at NFL covered events like the combine/ Senior bowl week/etc. Last year, because Jay Cutler did the combine, Mayock was ALL OVER his jock. Called him the #1 qb on several occasions. His lack of objectivity just seems to be ridiculous, and his input is next to worthless. So I'm wondering, if Jamarcus and Brady don't compete at the combine, is this yahoo gonna slap Drew Stanton as the best qb in the draft? I'm voting yes.

Picking a Vanderbilt QB as the best in the draft is gutsy. It's a far cry from most guys who just go with the safe picks from the winning programs.

finfan54
02-15-2007, 07:58 AM

thats why vince was ROY! :sidelol:

finfan54
02-15-2007, 08:00 AM

Mayock is a little overbearing at times and is starting to act like his opinion is greater than others. That aside, he does put alot of time into this. Anyone who does that has my ear. The deal is to read between the lines. My wife says his speech impediment is annoying (he has a lisp). BTW, Cutler is not the greatest QB from that draft, it is Vince Young.

slosh13
02-15-2007, 08:10 AM
do you think that carnell williams is better than ronnie brown...because he won ROY 2 years ago... dont think so

finfan54
02-15-2007, 08:26 AM
do you think that carnell williams is better than ronnie brown...because he won ROY 2 years ago... dont think so

cmon dude, poor analogy. Let me put it to you this way. If Jason Taylor and the Miami Dolphins go up against Cutler, me not scared. If Vince Young, me scared.

ChambersWI
02-15-2007, 09:06 AM

if you saw Vince's QB Stats, they were horrible. VY won the award because of how is team did with him in the line-up, but his stats were awful.

GCD960
02-15-2007, 09:16 AM
cmon dude, poor analogy. Let me put it to you this way. If Jason Taylor and the Miami Dolphins go up against Cutler, me not scared. If Vince Young, me scared.

That was a perfect analogy.. vince young may be better but its not bc he won ROTY...

jlfin
02-15-2007, 10:30 AM

You put it poorly. Cutler can thread the ball anywhere. If I'm JT and the Phins I'd be plenty scared of an accurate, rocket armed QB. Especially, if I have a suspect secondary.
More SB's have been won with drop back QB's than with scrambling QB's. VY still needs to develop his skills as a passer. I have hope for him, unlike Mike Vick.

NPG
02-15-2007, 10:31 AM

plus I kind of like Mayock. Besides getting Cutler right, what else has he done wrong.

Motion
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM

:yes:

Motion
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I'd like to know who ranked the players by position in the Bottomline on NFL Network during the "Path to the Draft". Having Reggie Nelson ranked behind Brandon Meriweather is a complete joke.

IluvJuMiami
02-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd like to know who ranked the players by position in the Bottomline on NFL Network during the "Path to the Draft". Having Reggie Nelson ranked behind Brandon Meriweather is a complete joke.

Beware the wrath of UF.:lol:

Give em hell motion, I got cho back.:ninja:

Motion
02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Beware the wrath of UF.:lol:

Give em hell motion, I got cho back.:ninja:

:D

All bias aside, they are on different levels.

12MaN
02-15-2007, 10:46 AM

Just because the Gators won the national championship does not mean that Nelson is better than Merriweather.

IMO they are both good players but Merriweather will play safety in the NFL, as far as Nelson i think he will have to be converted in to a CB.

Nelson is all over the field tipping and intercepting balls but he does not play the run well or put big hits on people. On the other hand Merriweather does it all, tips balls, intercepts them, plays the run to prefection and lights people up when he hits them.

So I can understand why Merriweather is ranked above Nelson. If the Fins had a shot to get either or I would take them but I would preffer Merriweather.

IluvJuMiami
02-15-2007, 10:47 AM
:D

All bias aside, they are on different levels.

No argument here brotha and I'm a Cane's fan.

Motion
02-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Just because the Gators won the national championship does not mean that Nelson is better than Merriweather.

IMO they are both good players but Merriweather will play safety in the NFL, as far as Nelson i think he will have to be converted in to a CB.

Nelson is all over the field tipping and intercepting balls but he does not play the run well or put big hits on people. On the other hand Merriweather does it all, tips balls, intercepts them, plays the run to prefection and lights people up when he hits them.

So I can understand why Merriweather is ranked above Nelson. If the Fins had a shot to get either or I would take them but I would preffer Merriweather.

Thats all I needed to read to disregard your opinion.

I mentioned nothing of the National Championship. If you honestly think Nelson isn't a heavy hitter than that tells me how much you've seen of him. He was also one of the main reasons Florida shutdown one of the top backs in the nation, McFadden, in the SEC title game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not trying to take anything away from Meriweather, not saying he's a bad player. But Nelson is much better.

Not the best quality, but some typical Nelson hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWImu1_hl3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMGyqZ-TBU

12MaN
02-15-2007, 10:58 AM

I mentioned nothing of the National Championship. If you honestly think Nelson isn't a heavy hitter than that tells me how much you've seen of him. He was also one of the main reasons Florida shutdown one of the top backs in the nation, McFadden, in the SEC title game.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm not trying to take anything away from Meriweather, not saying he's a bad player. But Nelson is much better.

You don't want me to put videos of Merriweather's hits cuz you'll be watching for days.

12MaN
02-15-2007, 11:04 AM

Meriweather is an Ed Reed, Sean Taylor clone. Nelson can't touch any of those guys.

Motion
02-15-2007, 11:05 AM
You don't want me to put videos of Merriweather's hits cuz you'll be watching for days.

Please do, I was really impressed with what I saw of him against FIU.

Meriweather is an Ed Reed, Sean Taylor clone. Nelson can't touch any of those guys.

:lol: If you say so bro. By your own logic, just because those other guys went to the U doesn't mean Meriweather is half as good as them.

To each their own.

PyroDOLFAN
02-15-2007, 11:11 AM

Nice comeback, I was thinking the same thing. Vince Young will fall over dead like the Micheal Vick era did.

IluvJuMiami
02-15-2007, 11:28 AM

That FSU hit was sick. He reminds me of Zach Thomas the way he just throws his body at people. He may be to small to be that effective in the pros though. He needs to bulk up. Same goes for Merriman. They both may be better suited for DB.

Edit: I ment "better suited fo CB.":lol: No shi... he's better suited for DB.

Motion
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
That FSU hit was sick. He reminds me of Zach Thomas the way he just throws his body at people. He may be to small to be that effective in the pros though. He needs to bulk up. Same goes for Merriman. They both may be better suited for DB.

:yes: His INT in that game was even more impressive.

This is the kind of presence we need in the Fins secondary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3o2ULj5IsQ

dolpns13
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM

I share the same sentiment...ALTHOUGH Vince started 13 games and Jay started only 5 so there is really no accurate way to tell who is the better QB at this point

12MaN
02-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Please do, I was really impressed with what I saw of him against FIU.

:lol: If you say so bro. By your own logic, just because those other guys went to the U doesn't mean Meriweather is half as good as them.

To each their own.

:sidelol: I like the FIU comment I'll give you that one.

I like them both but I'm sticking with Brandon on this one bro.

Motion
02-15-2007, 11:39 AM

:wink: Its all good.

IluvJuMiami
02-15-2007, 11:44 AM

Alls fair in love and war.

You can't hate on the guy for trying to kick someone's *** in a fight. If he'd have picked the FIU player up and dusted him off I would have thought it peculiar.

Crowder52
02-15-2007, 11:56 AM

You're right about that point. But how do you explain the fact that Nelson was a concensus 1st team All-American, a Defensive Player of the Year finalist and Thorpe Award finalist, while Merriweather didn't even make 3rd team All-American or get nominated for any post-season awards?

12MaN
02-15-2007, 12:14 PM
You're right about that point. But how do you explain the fact that Nelson was a concensus 1st team All-American, a Defensive Player of the Year finalist and Thorpe Award finalist, while Merriweather didn't even make 3rd team All-American or get nominated for any post-season awards?

Could the FIU brawl have worked against him? Remember the NCAA was pissed off about that brawl. That incident hurt him really bad and alot of those awards are based on what you do on the field as well as your character.

I will agree he messed up and hurt his possobility of earning any awards.

Motion
02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Could the FIU brawl have worked against him? Remember the NCAA was pissed off about that brawl. That incident hurt him really bad and alot of those awards are based on what you do on the field as well as your character.

Possibly, I think Miami having a down year hurt as well. He was really hyped going into the season but you really didn't hear anything about him during the season other than the brawl incident.

Crowder52
02-15-2007, 01:25 PM

That's true, and I'm sure that's part of the reason. Prior to the brawl though, he wasn't playing near the level of Nelson or Landry. Without the brawl he still wouldn't have had a chance to challenge them for those honors.

marino1348
02-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Jay Cutler's team didn't make the playoffs because of his inexperience. VInce Young had did pretty well with him despite having the 32nd defense.

Motion
02-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Jay Cutler's team didn't make the playoffs because of his inexperience. VInce Young had did pretty well with him despite having the 32nd defense.

I'd have to disagree with that.

PHINANALYST
02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Cutler WAS Vandy football ...

Lienart and Young played on very good teams ... not knocking either -- but clearly different environments ... [Young of course, was a difference maker]

You can't say the same about any other QB in this draft ... Stanton does not bring what Cutler did ... Quinn is close to Cutler -- but I would still take Cutler in a nanosecond !!

We'll see in 2 more years who is better -- Young or Cutler ... or more correctly -- who is better postured to win a SB .... and that vote would go to DEN vice TEN

Sethdaddy8
02-15-2007, 06:08 PM
My point was, Cutler showed up for the combine, and Mayock was all over him like white on rice. He obviously sang his praises, simply for going through the combine, and didn't remain objective to those 2 qbs who were greater talents. How can anyone compare Cutler to Young. Young took over the worst team in the NFL last season, and made them winners. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel, right next to the Raiders, and turned them around, and gave them a sense of invincibility. When Vince Young got behind center, The Tennessee Titans believed they could win any game, despite any deficit. And much more often than not, they did win with him. Jay Cutler took over a winning Bronco team with an elite defense, and with a backfield producing near 2000 yards rushing, and lead them right out of play-off contention. Yes, Jay Cutler is much better than Vince Young.:rolleyes2

Dors156
02-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Yea mayock is boring but i knew he was right on Cutler. that was obvious to tell IMO. But he does repeat himself alot.

Crowder52
02-15-2007, 07:26 PM
My point was, Cutler showed up for the combine, and Mayock was all over him like white on rice. He obviously sang his praises, simply for going through the combine, and didn't remain objective to those 2 qbs who were greater talents. How can anyone compare Cutler to Young. Young took over the worst team in the NFL last season, and made them winners. They were scraping the bottom of the barrel, right next to the Raiders, and turned them around, and gave them a sense of invincibility. When Vince Young got behind center, The Tennessee Titans believed they could win any game, despite any deficit. And much more often than not, they did win with him. Jay Cutler took over a winning Bronco team with an elite defense, and with a backfield producing near 2000 yards rushing, and lead them right out of play-off contention. Yes, Jay Cutler is much better than Vince Young.:rolleyes2

I think it's a little too early to tell who will have a better career between Young and Cutler. Don't put too much faith into rookie seasons for QBs.

ChambersWI
02-15-2007, 07:39 PM
I think it's a little too early to tell who will have a better career between Young and Cutler. Don't put too much faith into rookie seasons for QBs.

exactly cause Rick Mirer had a decent rookie season.

unifiedtheory
02-15-2007, 07:59 PM

You fear a guy who is a one read and run/one dimensional quarterback who will make the bone head decision over the guy who is a pass first quarterback with a CANNON for an arm? Let me guess, you also like Ron Mexico?

Talk to me in a season and tell me who's better...

On topic: Mayock is annoying but he is usually pretty dead on with his projections.

Motion
02-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Actually Mayock was big fan of Cutler before the combine. Talked him up quite a bit during Senior Bowl week. I think its far to early in their career to declare one so much better than the other. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but if I was starting a franchise and had to choose between the two I'd take Cutler everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

DolphinDevil28
02-15-2007, 10:02 PM
I was absolutely salivating about the Dolphins possibly getting Jay Cutler MONTHS before last year's draft.

I saw a few projections with him going 16th to us, and I rejoiced to the Heavens.

But then he proved how good he actually is in the combine and other stuff, and he went higher.

JC actually has what it takes to be the best QB in the NFL. Watch in 3 years. Mark my words.

PublixSubsRule
02-15-2007, 11:06 PM
If you dont like him then dont watch him.... unless you are Superman and Mikie is your Kryptonight and Dr. Evil has you chained to a chair in front of the Television and the clicker is out of reach... god help us with no superman

Sethdaddy8
02-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Vince Young scares me as a Dolphin fan. He is going to make playing Tennesse very scary for years to come. The guy is a winner, and a freak talent...deadly combo. Now, can anyone tell me if Quinn or Russell is participating in the combine? If not, I predict during combine week, Mayock will adopt the top talent at qb, surrounded by most hype, and will label him the best qb in the draft.

Dolfan11
02-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Don't know why you feel that, but when it comes to watching draft "gurus," I think his opinions and analysis are the most insightful, on TV that is.

Sethdaddy8
02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
I just think he's a bit of a nut-hugger for guys who compete on the programs he tries to promote. Last year, he took a lot of credit away from Vince Young and Matt Leinert because they didn't compete at the one event a year that Mayock "is the guy" at, the combine. Draft day, its Kiper. If Joe Thomas doesn't compete at the combine, guaranteed, he'll slap Levi as the best Tackle in the draft. Last year he almost seemed like he was on a witch hunt against guys who skipped the combine( skipped because thier value was already so high). Thats what Im saying. But just because a very top draft prospect doesn't compete, does not mean you should deny thier true value. The truth prevailed draft day though, when both Young and Leinert went before Cutler, to Mayock's displeasure no doubt.

Motion
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Vince Young scares me as a Dolphin fan. He is going to make playing Tennesse very scary for years to come. The guy is a winner, and a freak talent...deadly combo. Now, can anyone tell me if Quinn or Russell is participating in the combine? If not, I predict during combine week, Mayock will adopt the top talent at qb, surrounded by most hype, and will label him the best qb in the draft.

As I said before, Mayock was a huge Cutler fan BEFORE the combine.

Motion
02-16-2007, 09:31 AM
I just think he's a bit of a nut-hugger for guys who compete on the programs he tries to promote. Last year, he took a lot of credit away from Vince Young and Matt Leinert because they didn't compete at the one event a year that Mayock "is the guy" at, the combine. Draft day, its Kiper. If Joe Thomas doesn't compete at the combine, guaranteed, he'll slap Levi as the best Tackle in the draft. Last year he almost seemed like he was on a witch hunt against guys who skipped the combine( skipped because thier value was already so high). Thats what Im saying. But just because a very top draft prospect doesn't compete, does not mean you should deny thier true value. The truth prevailed draft day though, when both Young and Leinert went before Cutler, to Mayock's displeasure no doubt.

You honestly think he lost sleep over Cutler being drafted after the other two? Couple years down the road when he turns out to be the best of the 3 Mayock will say I told ya so. Your putting too much emphasis on the combine as well, the Senior Bowl is the first stop and most guys that skip that, skip most of the combine drills as well. Granted Young and Russell were/are juniors and can't be in the Senior Bowl, but its not just the combine thats important.

Stitches
02-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Actually Mayock was big fan of Cutler before the combine. Talked him up quite a bit during Senior Bowl week. I think its far to early in their career to declare one so much better than the other. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but if I was starting a franchise and had to choose between the two I'd take Cutler everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

I was a fan of Cutler before his senior season. I was hoping we'd get to land him, little did I know he'd go top-15 before the season though.

Crowder52
02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I was a fan of Cutler before his senior season. I was hoping we'd get to land him, little did I know he'd go top-15 before the season though.

I liked Cutler long before he was on the national radar as well. But you know who I wanted to draft in the first round last year prior to the college season? Omar Jacobs. :( That didn't work out as planned, to say the least.

Motion
02-16-2007, 12:34 PM

:yes: I've been a big fan of his since he was a sophmore. Fearless player, took his whole team on his shoulders every Saturday at Vandy.

Motion
02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I liked Cutler long before he was on the national radar as well. But you know who I wanted to draft in the first round last year prior to the college season? Omar Jacobs. :( That didn't work out as planned, to say the least.

Yikes :D

Crowder52
02-16-2007, 12:38 PM
Yikes :D

:lol: I played against him in high school and he was running over and stiff-arming our safeties in the playoffs. He along with Brent Schaffer were the two QBs I played against who were just on a different level than anyone else. I guess things change every time you take your game to the next level.

Sethdaddy8
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
You honestly think he lost sleep over Cutler being drafted after the other two? Couple years down the road when he turns out to be the best of the 3 Mayock will say I told ya so. Your putting too much emphasis on the combine as well, the Senior Bowl is the first stop and most guys that skip that, skip most of the combine drills as well. Granted Young and Russell were/are juniors and can't be in the Senior Bowl, but its not just the combine thats important.

But thats where my issue with Mayock is, to digress to my original point. IMO, he put super value on the guys who competed at the combine, and paid a less creedence to the super prospects who skipped it, than he should have...almost saying "you don't do my combine, than to hell with you." Thats what I got from his coverage last year, and add his vanilla analysis on top of that, I felt the need for a rant. He watches a lot of tape, I won't deny that. Hey, good stuff on counter arguements. We're all entitled to opinions. Its what make this an interesting 1 star thread.:lol:

NorFlaFin
02-16-2007, 09:34 PM
I agree. What is his background in assessing players?

Mike Mayock - 10th rd of the Steeler who played with Giants for a couple of years.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/mayock_mike

10rd guys scrap for roster spots.

BTW:Hes the son of a coach.