PDA

View Full Version : why trading up is making sense...

MrEd
02-17-2007, 08:34 AM
with the new rumors of mia talking with both cle and tb about trading up from #9 to #3...

and the rumors that chambers is available...

and the rumors that booker is rumored to be talking about restructuring his deal...

and the rumors that mueller wants speed at wr...

and cle rumored to really like okoye...yet need a qb as well...

and tb rumored to needing a pass rushing de....yet need a qb as well...

it is making a little more sense now that mueller could be interested in calvin johnson.

think about it.

our #9, chambers, and our 3rd round pick for calvin johnson.

then cle/tb takes the player they covet: okoye/anderson/adams...and trade a 3rd round pick (of which they would have 2 of with the trade)...and aquire david carr.

this makes a whole lot of sense to both sides...if you ask me.:wink:

also, i think hou is interested in trading carr because they want quinn.

Alex44
02-17-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd love to trade up for Calvin Johnson but I think it is a little to early to start putting puzzle pieces together. After the combine we will really be able to start making assumptions like that, but IMO its still to early.

34isback
02-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Cam needs to put his stamp on this first pick, even if it costs another 1st day pick. would rather have an impact guy like CJ than draft two other players that won't have an impact at all

sshaffer76
02-17-2007, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't mind trading up but don't want to give up any more draft picks. We need all the picks we can get to get some more speed and youth.

jason8er
02-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Cam needs to put his stamp on this first pick, even if it costs another 1st day pick. would rather have an impact guy like CJ than draft two other players that won't have an impact at all
Yeah, I would take CJ too, if I could give up Eddie Moore, Todd Wade, JJ Johnson, Kenny Mixon, Andrew Greene, Aubrey Beavers, and Eddie Blake. Oh wait.....

slosh13
02-17-2007, 09:35 AM
no way, we are getting ripped...I love CJ, but our 1st,3rd,and our #1 WR who was a pro bowler a year ago..... I would do our 1st and 3rd for CJ.

dolphinfan0762
02-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I heard that Oakland is also rumored to be interested in David Carr and is willing to give Houston a 2nd rounder and Draft Calvin Johnson with there first pick and that Jake Plummer is heading to Houston to reunite with coach Kubiak. it's definitely going to be interested on whats the Dolphin's going to do with Clev. and Minn. also needing a QB.

QrtBck13
02-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I think Cleveland is a lock in my opinion to take Peterson with out a doubt

cnc66
02-17-2007, 10:27 AM
we need EVERY pick we have ...IMO, trading up is insane, there is NOBODY worth the cost of moving up...no one

Boone
02-17-2007, 10:28 AM
with the new rumors of mia talking with both cle and tb about trading up from #9 to #3...

and the rumors that booker is rumored to be talking about restructuring his deal...

it is making a little more sense now that mueller could be interested in calvin johnson.

think about it.

then cle/tb takes the player they covet: okoye/anderson/adams...and trade a 3rd round pick (of which they would have 2 of with the trade)...and aquire david carr.

That's alittle too much speculation.... :rolleyes2

Boomer
02-17-2007, 10:37 AM
God knows where all those rumours come from, but I can assure you that 99% of them are bollocks.

Lab3003
02-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I would trade up for only Calvin Johnson. I'd give up a 1st, 4th and Chambers though, not my 3rd round pick.

footballer
02-17-2007, 11:04 AM
i'd rather give arizona our first, chambers and our 3rd for larry fitzgerald..than to give up all of that, and get a guy who may or may not become a star..

Alien
02-17-2007, 11:30 AM
i'd rather give arizona our first, chambers and our 3rd for larry fitzgerald..than to give up all of that, and get a guy who may or may not become a star..

i just cant see them giving fitz up, i dont know the financial side of the thing but fitzgerald looks to be better than boldin and has more upside. but in the end i see no way the cards give up any part of that offense, they have a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber offense with the players they have at the skill positions (god knows they need oline help... but hey SO DO WE!:rolleyes: ). Calvin Johnson is the SUREST thing in this draft if you are looking for a superstar, his measurables are PERFECT, he has a good work ethic, a MARVIN HARRISON type attitude, all the things leading to a franchise player that leads by example and is always there for his team when they need him. TRADE UP FOR CJ!:cooldude: Ive had my eye on quinn but hell... give daunte another randy moss without the attitude and who knows what this offense can acheive.

jim1
02-17-2007, 11:37 AM

think about it.

I've mentioned before that trading chambers wouldn't bother me. I like your trade idea, and we could use our second pick for perhaps Ryan Kalil, Joe Staley, Sidney Rice, or Chris Houston. CJ in Miami would be sweet.

p.s. TE Greg Olsen in the second would work for me, too. McMike better step up to the plate McQuickly.

kashbo
02-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I would like JOE Thomas

OneHondo
02-17-2007, 12:25 PM
I would hope and would like to think that Mueller would rather accumulate draft picks rather than trade them away. CJ may be great but we have been dissappointed and burnt enough in the past with the draft pick roulette we've been playing. We are already short one draft pick this year. You would think that Mueller can disprove a lot of doubters with making all of our draft picks count rather than trading up and losing picks to get the popular choice.

wazzy
02-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I just think this is way to much speculation and even if it were true we our putting way to much into the WR corps! I really like CJ and if we traded down for him I wouldn't say I would be angry but we better be smart and quick with signing some key free agents to fill the wholes that we could of filled with those picks!

Also not to kill your thread but Cameron says he likes to build his team through a QB RB FB and C. If we used all those picks on a reciever he would sort of be going against his own beliefs!

OneHondo
02-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I was just thinking, Mueller has a lot riding on this draft. Until Saban left he had no real power to accomplish anything and when they had the great "GM Search" when Spielman got the job Mueller had been critical of the way it was handled after he was interviewed. It would seem that Mueller would work real hard to validate his job and his abilities as a GM. This doesn't really have any bearing on this thread but it is going to be real interesting to see if Mueller tries to pull of a solid draft or a spectacular draft through a move to get one of the big names.

MrEd
02-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't mind trading up but don't want to give up any more draft picks. We need all the picks we can get to get some more speed and youth.

there's no other way to trade up but to trade picks...

Boomer
02-17-2007, 05:16 PM
there's no other way to trade up but to trade picks...

Well there is. You trade players.

MrEd
02-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I just think this is way to much speculation and even if it were true we our putting way to much into the WR corps! I really like CJ and if we traded down for him I wouldn't say I would be angry but we better be smart and quick with signing some key free agents to fill the wholes that we could of filled with those picks!

Also not to kill your thread but Cameron says he likes to build his team through a QB RB FB and C. If we used all those picks on a reciever he would sort of be going against his own beliefs!

Not at all...he already has his QB, RB, and FB. And should have a solid C in Hadnot or Mckinney. No way Cameron takes a C at #9.

So the next step is a WR that can be a go to guy/red zone threat in the form of Gates was for him in SD.

Cameron stated that he makes the best with what he has. Gates was the best he had as far as the WR corps was concerned.

CJ is the perfect weapon to compliment say Culpepper, Brown, Barnes, and Hadnot/Mckinney.

Mueller will most likely look to sign Dielman which would help out Hadnot/Mckinney enormously.

Just going by what we have as far as info so far...not saying that this "will" happen...but sounds like if it is brewing...

SQuinn17
02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
no way, we are getting ripped...I love CJ, but our 1st,3rd,and our #1 WR who was a pro bowler a year ago..... I would do our 1st and 3rd for CJ.

yah our underachieving, overrated and overpaid #1 receiver. all he did last year is drop passes and whine about how he should get the ball more. if we could get cj for chambers and a 3rd rounder, it should be a no brainer.

SQuinn17
02-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I would hope and would like to think that Mueller would rather accumulate draft picks rather than trade them away. CJ may be great but we have been dissappointed and burnt enough in the past with the draft pick roulette we've been playing. We are already short one draft pick this year. You would think that Mueller can disprove a lot of doubters with making all of our draft picks count rather than trading up and losing picks to get the popular choice.
and we're the only team like that? thats happened to everybody. the odds that we'll get a stud with the #4 pick are much better than something alot lower than that.

MiaDolph99
02-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Okay I just thought of this so dont be harsh about it.

Miami trades its 1st and 3rd round picks to move up and get Calvin Johnson. (Yes that means we miss out on Brady Quinn)

BUT we trade our 2nd round pick and Chambers for a late 1st round pick to a team that needs a WR.. maybe Seattle/Philadelphia. Then with that late 1st round pick we take Troy Smith and develope him as our QB of the future.

MrEd
02-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Well there is. You trade players.

:rolleyes2

MrEd
02-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Okay I just thought of this so dont be harsh about it.

Miami trades its 1st and 3rd round picks to move up and get Calvin Johnson. (Yes that means we miss out on Brady Quinn)

BUT we trade our 2nd round pick and Chambers for a late 1st round pick to a team that needs a WR.. maybe Seattle/Philadelphia. Then with that late 1st round pick we take Troy Smith and develope him as our QB of the future.

I would do that in a heart beat...

MiaDolph99

It's not the Quantity of picks.. its the Quality of picks.. thats some Saban failed to realize. Which is why we still have all this undeveloped talent on the team. (i.e. Rod & Manny Wright, Kevin Vickerson, Fred Evans, Travis Daniels, Marcus Vick, Cleo Lemon, etc.) I mean yeah Daniels is good but he's been at the same level for 2 years. I'd rather have guys we KNOW are future stars (like CJ and Quinn) other than people we THINK are gonna be stars with the later picks.

Delfin 22
That's alittle too much speculation.... :rolleyes2

:yeahthat:

MrEd
02-17-2007, 05:32 PM
and we're the only team like that? thats happened to everybody. the odds that we'll get a stud with the #4 pick are much better than something alot lower than that.

I think that the reason MIA is talking to both CLE "and" TB is to whoever gets the #3 pick.

Boomer
02-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I think that the reason MIA is talking to both CLE "and" TB is to whoever gets the #3 pick.

Great Odin's Raven!

Miami are 'tallking to Cleveland and Tampa about the 3 spot'.....where do you get this stuff from?? Miami hasn't even formulated it's draft board yet. Dear oh dear oh dear.

MrEd
02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Great Odin's Raven!

Miami are 'tallking to Cleveland and Tampa about the 3 spot'.....where do you get this stuff from?? Miami hasn't even formulated it's draft board yet. Dear oh dear oh dear.

...again, :rolleyes2

Boomer
02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
...again, :rolleyes2

Why are you rolling your eyes? Because you've been caught telling porkies and are embarrassed?

wazzy
02-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Not at all...he already has his QB, RB, and FB. And should have a solid C in Hadnot or Mckinney. No way Cameron takes a C at #9.

So the next step is a WR that can be a go to guy/red zone threat in the form of Gates was for him in SD.

Cameron stated that he makes the best with what he has. Gates was the best he had as far as the WR corps was concerned.

CJ is the perfect weapon to compliment say Culpepper, Brown, Barnes, and Hadnot/Mckinney.

Mueller will most likely look to sign Dielman which would help out Hadnot/Mckinney enormously.

Just going by what we have as far as info so far...not saying that this "will" happen...but sounds like if it is brewing...

Well see this is where the argument can go either way! If he feels we need to upgrade at Centre and FB then we our going to need those extra picks to fill wholes and depth! However if he is confident with the team he is building then yes it would make sense for him to move up and grab the big playmaker CJ