PDA

View Full Version : Why go Quinn, when we have culpepper and lemon?

Elle Clouds
02-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I dont understand the need or want for Brady ...culpepper seems to be getting thrown under the bus...Quinn did not look NFL ready in their bowl game, and i have a feeling he will be an overhyped qb with performance issues. Im tired of having slow, immobile quarterbacks in Miami, so i think its time for a change. If we can not get Russell by trading up, I hope someone grabs quinn before we do.:rolleyes2

daniel3
02-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Why pay for health insurance when you are in perfect health? In the case of Culpepper nor Lemon panning out, we do have Quinn. Also a good QB is a hot commodity that can pay in dividends later. If Cleo proves himself to be a very accomplished passer and Quinn does the same, one of them could net us a very decent return in the trade market.

Not to mention, with the 9th pick we might as well go with best player available regardless of position (even if its a RB). I don't see many draftees at positions of need (like OT and CB) that are clearly worth a top 10 pick.

NJFINSFAN1
02-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Quinn is the best QB in the draft, Culpepper has not played in two years and nobody knows if he will get healthy or regain his old form, chances are not great. I like Lemon, but you can't pin all your hopes on him.

If Quinn is at # 9, he will be a Fin.

Elle Clouds
02-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Quinn is the best QB in the draft, Culpepper has not played in two years and nobody knows if he will get healthy or regain his old form, chances are not great. I like Lemon, but you can't pin all your hopes on him.

could u honestly say that Quinn looked better than Russell.. :goof: But i guess that is your opinion. Do you have any ties to Notre Dame?

fish fan 4 life
02-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Not to mention, with the 9th pick we might as well go with best player available regardless of position (even if its a RB). I don't see many draftees at positions of need (like OT and CB) that are clearly worth a top 10 pick.I 2nd that

tyson22
02-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Quinn is the best QB in the draft,

:rolleyes2

phinphanforever
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM

I certainly hope not. If Quinn falls to 9 though I think the Fins can get a nice package of picks.

Phanatical
02-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I dont understand the need or want for Brady ...culpepper seems to be getting thrown under the bus...Quinn did not look NFL ready in their bowl game, and i have a feeling he will be an overhyped qb with performance issues. Im tired of having slow, immobile quarterbacks in Miami, so i think its time for a change. If we can not get Russell by trading up, I hope someone grabs quinn before we do.:rolleyes2

You don't understand the need or want????

I see it like this: CP's return to PB form looks doubtful, JH is a good backup at best, and Lemon is unproven. Why WOULDN'T the Phins look to obtain a QB in the draft?

phinphanforever
02-18-2007, 02:26 PM
could u honestly say that Quinn looked better than Russell.. :goof: But i guess that is your opinion. Do you have any ties to Notre Dame?
There are a lot of ND supporters and Brady Quinn supporters on this site. Be carefull knowcking Quinn though. It may just get you banned.:shakeno:

Alien
02-18-2007, 02:28 PM

quinn had a bad bowl game and the other top quarterback in the draft just happened to be on the opposite sideline so therefore since russel won hes the better qb? how does one bowl game decide that? especially when quinn was facing a fast and well schemed lsu defense and russel was playing against a secondary that looked like "a bunch of ******s trying to hump a door knob".quinn has had a more successful career and he was developed in a pro style offense. his offensive line this year for notre dame really wasnt that good and the irish defense just plain stunk while russel enjoyed the satisfaction of having a team in lsu that could probably of beaten OURS right now:lol: Russel is athletic... but its not like hes coming in to be vince young, hes a PASSER, hes not gonna run for 60 yards especially with the speed the nfl has in it. Quinn is not slow and immobile and has shown it in his career too, he aint no mike vick, but his speed is supposedly in the 4.7-4.8 range (about the same as russel is believed to be).

TotoreMexico
02-18-2007, 02:33 PM

LMAO

You're basing your opinion on 1 freaking game? Quinn has 2 years of experience under a pro style offense, I guess he's not ready because of 1 game:rolleyes:

Cannonboy
02-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Why Quinn, Becasue the fins have turned the other way for the QB postion in the draft since Marino left. Instead we get everybodys cast off. There is a resaon why these guys are being let go and dumped on the fins. They stink. It's time this franchise gets a big time QB in the draft that will be at the postion for years to come. This franchise has a turnover every year at QB. Thats why there has been no playoffs for years and horrible offensive playing. Harrington isn'rt the answer, C-pep and Lemon may or may not be the answer. If they aren't then the fins will again be looking at a qb turnover again. Get your stud now with Quinn.

iamKIP
A stupid QB that can run and throw basic passes and look like a stud against college players and can probably never read an NFL defense.. Yes, I want Russelll!!!!:shakeno:

What I want is an NFL proto type QB, one who has been under Weiss and one who has the best potential to be a stud!!!!:ninja:

Not another Shuler, Leaf or Vick!!!!!:mad:

TotoreMexico
There are a lot of ND supporters and Brady Quinn supporters on this site. Be carefull knowcking Quinn though. It may just get you banned.:shakeno:

Stupid post:shakeno:

Phanatical
02-18-2007, 02:38 PM

I don't think it's so stupid. I know exactly what they're talking about.

endorPHINS72
02-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Did Daunte look NFL ready last year? Did Daunte not look slow and immobile last year?? And Daunte coming to Miami wasn't the slightest bit overhyped last year???

Bruzer
02-18-2007, 02:41 PM

no kidding he got a temp ban for a personal attack but he blames it on the quinn talk. It doesn't matter who miami takes there will always be haters so i guess you can't please everyone. If miami drafts him its because hes the right pick we knew what was right we would be in the nfl working but we are not and we don't know more than them.

endorPHINS72
02-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Do you have any ties to Chuck E. Cheese? Because that's where it seems your football knowledge comes from. Basically what you are saying is that just about any QB is better than Brady Quinn (Culpepper, Lemon, Russell), which shows that you just hate Notre Dame. That is ignorant. I don't like the University of Miami or USC, but if there is a good player available for us to draft from either one of those schools, I would love to have them. That's called putting aside your biases and doing what is best for the team. You might want to look into that.

endorPHINS72
02-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Very stupid, agreed!

diehardfin
02-18-2007, 02:52 PM
i think this is possibly the most horrible question ever!!!!! watch the low lights of daunte last year. HE SUCKS! the problem he has is not with his knee its his head and lemon is a good back up but he can not start for a whole season. This is why we desperatly need a QB and either one of the two would do. We absolutely cant pass on drew brees again. i knew it was a mistake when we did and we should be thinking about that in this years draft.

Delfin 22
02-18-2007, 02:57 PM
LMAO

You're basing your opinion on 1 freaking game? Quinn has 2 years of experience under a pro style offense, I guess he's not ready because of 1 game:rolleyes:

:yeahthat:...

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I dont understand the need or want for Brady ...culpepper seems to be getting thrown under the bus...Quinn did not look NFL ready in their bowl game, and i have a feeling he will be an overhyped qb with performance issues. Im tired of having slow, immobile quarterbacks in Miami, so i think its time for a change. If we can not get Russell by trading up, I hope someone grabs quinn before we do.:rolleyes2With all due respect, we are hardly set at QB w/ 'Pepper and Lemon.

And you can't judge a player in college by either his big-game performances or his bowl games. Otherwise, Peyton Manning would have slipped to the fifth round.

And Quinn did have some nice games in the spotlight (remember against USC his junior year?).

Quinn is as pro-ready as any QB has been in a while coming out of college. He's learned in a pro-style offense at a big-time program. He's not perfect, but he brings a world of talent to the position that we haven't had since ...

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 03:01 PM
You know, 26 teams made a mistake in 1983 letting Marino slip to us! Let's hope history repeats itself in 2007. This time, only eight teams need to make a mistake!!

Just for the record, no I'm not saying Quinn=Marino. Christ, that's blasthfamy (sp?)! I just think Quinn is going to be a star - above average at the very worst!

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 03:04 PM
LMAO

You're basing your opinion on 1 freaking game? Quinn has 2 years of experience under a pro style offense, I guess he's not ready because of 1 game:rolleyes::stupid:

:wink: This is exactly what I was saying!

tyson22
02-18-2007, 03:42 PM
You know, 26 teams made a mistake in 1983 letting Marino slip to us!

and it only took one team to draft ryan leaf. these marino slipping comparisons are just absurd. brady lasted how many rounds? harrington went pretty high right? some of you need to step away from the hype. until quinn PROVES anything in the nfl, c-pepp and lemon are both better.

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 03:48 PM
and it only took one team to draft ryan leaf. these marino slipping comparisons are just absurd. brady lasted how many rounds? harrington went pretty high right? some of you need to step away from the hype. until quinn PROVES anything in the nfl, c-pepp and lemon are both better.Do you remember 1983?? It was almost magical the way Marino lasted all the way to 27 for us! Outside of Elway, none of those guys could hold Danny's jock coming out of college, but yet they all came off the board before he did. Shula was SHOCKED that Marino was there when we drafted!!!

I think that's why people - including myself - make such a big deal about that happening!! Of course in reality - a pick is a pick is a pick, it all depends on how you use them.

But the point here is sometimes it's destiny the way things happen. If Quinn falls to us after being touted as the #1 pick not long ago, perhaps that is destiny too?

SweetLou
02-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I love the hypocrisy on these boards. During the NCAA football season almost everybody on these boards was hating on Brady Quinn and Notre Dame. People were saying Brady Quinn was overrated and hiding behind Weiss' name and NFL reputation. Then come draft time, Mel Kiper makes a prediction that Brady Quinn will fall in the draft and possibly end up Miami. NOW everybody is in love with Brady Quinn and sees him as our savior. I don't get it. Months ago when we didn't have a shot at getting Brady Quinn people hated him, now that we might have a chance at getting him people love him. I JUST DON'T GET IT!

We need to keep Culpepper and Lemon, draft someone in the later rounds, and use our first round pick on someone that can help us immediately.

tyson22
02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
If Quinn falls to us after being touted as the #1 pick not long ago, perhaps that is destiny too

but hes not being touted as #1 now, and a "fall" fom 1-9 just isnt that far. its not the same as marino being passed over for that many other QBs.

tyson22
02-18-2007, 04:01 PM
We need to keep Culpepper and Lemon, draft someone in the later rounds, and use our first round pick on someone that can help us immediately.

:yeahthat:

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
but hes not being touted as #1 now, and a "fall" fom 1-9 just isnt that far. its not the same as marino being passed over for that many other QBs.Look, this is all semantics here. I'm not claiming this is God sending us another Marino in exactly the same way.

I just think it would be a pleasant surpise to have Quinn fall in our laps now after there was no way this would happen not long ago.

OneHondo
02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Why go Quinn, when we have culpepper and lemon?
Its very simple, how long has Miami been making do with the QBs that are on hand without thinking of the future nor weighing those QBs benefits to the team.
Neither Culpepper or Lemon have proven anything up to this point though most of us have or had high hopes. This has been the prevailing trend for how long now? Since Marino was here we have had how many QBs, Huard, Fiedler, Lucas, Griese, Feeley, Rosenfels, Harrington,
Frerotte, Druckenmiller, Heupel, McNown, and none have proven to be our "franchise QB".
We now have a castoff from the Vikes who received a serious knee injury and is 30 years old and a third string QB who is an unproven project from San Diego and some want us to set back and rest all of our future hopes on them, without thinking of the future. Culpepper may come back strong and play great but he hasn't proven anything so far so what if? Lemon may turn out to be a good QB and play great but he hasn't proven anything so far so what if? I would hope that if anything the Dolphins have learned that they can't set back and rely on players salvaged from another team to bring us success.

umpalu
02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Why pay for health insurance when you are in perfect health?

because the body has many needs other than just its general health. what you are saying is that your teeth may be falling out and you are almost blind and need glasses, but you would rather spend your money on another physical when the last to have proven ok instead of going to the dentist and eye doctor to take care of those problems. We have more pressing needs than qb at the moment. those can be filled by trading out of our spot if quinn falls. those picks we would pick up would be like going to the dentist and the eye doctor instead of just going to the doctor again. (i am not saying we are set at qb by any means, but we still have the chance to be so we need to draft elsewhere)

tyson22
02-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I just think it would be a pleasant surpise to have Quinn fall in our laps now after there was no way this would happen not long ago.

thats your opinion. i dont find it to be all that "pleasant" of a surprise, i think its terrible. ive got a friend who is a jets fan who cant wait for us to call quinns name. we have to many other needs to draft an overrated, overhyped QB. unless he is bringing smardzjia(sp?) and weiss with him to the nfl i think he will bust, thats my opinion.

TotoreMexico
02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
:stupid:

:wink: This is exactly what I was saying!

:lol:

:hi5:

tyson22
02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
so what if?

so what if quinn is a bust? DRAFTING QUINN DOES NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS.

OneHondo
02-18-2007, 04:14 PM
and it only took one team to draft ryan leaf. these marino slipping comparisons are just absurd. brady lasted how many rounds? harrington went pretty high right? some of you need to step away from the hype. until quinn PROVES anything in the nfl, c-pepp and lemon are both better.

Until Culpepper and Lemon prove anything in a Dolphin uniform they are just as much of an unknown as Quinn is and neither are better until they prove it on the field in a Miami Dolphin uniform.

tyson22
02-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Until Culpepper and Lemon prove anything in a Dolphin uniform they are just as much of an unknown as Quinn is and neither are better until they prove it on the field in a Miami Dolphin uniform.

but they are both on our team now. its not going to take a top 10 pick to find out. BTW any 2 guys on any nfl team are always better than someone who isnt even in the league yet.

OneHondo
02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
so what if quinn is a bust? DRAFTING QUINN DOES NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS.

So drafting Quinn or Stanton or Russell or anybody with an early pick is not accepting the status quo which is what we have been doing every year since Miami made an attempt to get a Franchise QB in the first round with Dan Marino. I don't know why some people see trying to get a QB in the early rounds as a threat to Culpepper or an insult to Lemon. Its an attempt to get something we haven't had in a long time in Miami and that is a franchise QB.
I truly hope Culpepper comes back and lights it up and goes to the pro-bowl but until that happens I hope the Dolphins don't set back and wait to see if it happens.

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 04:29 PM
thats your opinion. i dont find it to be all that "pleasant" of a surprise, i think its terrible. ive got a friend who is a jets fan who cant wait for us to call quinns name. we have to many other needs to draft an overrated, overhyped QB. unless he is bringing smardzjia(sp?) and weiss with him to the nfl i think he will bust, thats my opinion.

Fair enough, but I think yhour Jet fan friend would live to regret hoping we call Quinn's name!!

Some people called Peyton Manning overhyped too!

OneHondo
02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
but they are both on our team now. its not going to take a top 10 pick to find out. BTW any 2 guys on any nfl team are always better than someone who isnt even in the league yet.

Pretty broad statement there, by your anology, why even draft players because we already have all of those positions on our roster and they are better than those college players. By your way of thinking L.J. Shelton and Damion McIntosh are better than Joe Thomas and Levi Brown so we definitely don't need a left tackle in the draft.

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Pretty broad statement there, by your anology, why even draft players because we already have all of those positions on our roster and they are better than those college players. By your way of thinking L.J. Shelton and Damion McIntosh are better than Joe Thomas and Levi Brown so we definitely don't need a left tackle in the draft.
And David Woodley was better than Marino, so why bother drafting Dan at all :confused:

:wink:

tyson22
02-18-2007, 05:22 PM

right, thats exactly what i meant when i typed this:shakeno: notice the words "until" and "proves". make sense now?

until quinn PROVES anything in the nfl, c-pepp and lemon are both better.

tyson22
02-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Fair enough, but I think yhour Jet fan friend would live to regret hoping we call Quinn's name!!

hey if we end up drafting him i hope you are right and i am wrong. i think we agree that the fins need to adress QB through the draft at some point, i just dont think this years class warrants the fins using the #9 pick on a QB considering the other needs we have. i just dont want to see our 9 pick on the bench all year and IMO thats where quinn will be. if we draft a qb to groom lets do it with the 2nd or 3rd round picks. my choice would be stanton in the 2nd(if he is still there).

DonShula84
02-18-2007, 05:36 PM

You realize Quinn is probably faster than Russell right?

utahphinsfan
02-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Quinn is the best QB in the draft... If Quinn is at # 9, he will be a Fin.

BQ may be the best QB in this years draft but even if Brohm were to have declared this year; it would not be as good as last years QB class.

The Dolphins have other more pressing needs. After OLB, OLT, & CB are addressed then a QB like Rowe or Kolb can be acquired.

I'd even think about resigning Justin Holland or (for today's Homer moment) signing Brett Ratliff as an UDFA.

montrealfinfan
02-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Brady runs 4.7 real slow

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 07:19 PM
i think we agree that the fins need to adress QB through the draft at some point

:finfan72:
:hi5:

Amen brother, amen!

endorPHINS72
02-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Great! Then we're set. We don't need to draft anyone this year. :shakeno:

endorPHINS72
02-18-2007, 07:22 PM

Why do you even care what a Jets fan thinks? It's like getting mad at a monkey at the zoo for flinging feces at you.

endorPHINS72
02-18-2007, 07:26 PM
And David Woodley was better than Marino, so why bother drafting Dan at all :confused:

:wink:

I don't know if you remember this, but back in 1983, there were some draft "experts" that questioned Coach Shula for drafting Dan Marino, saying it wasn't fair to the young QB who got them to the Super Bowl the year before (Woodley).

finnyfan4life
02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Is this a serious question????:sidelol:

DolfanTom
02-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't know if you remember this, but back in 1983, there were some draft "experts" that questioned Coach Shula for drafting Dan Marino, saying it wasn't fair to the young QB who got them to the Super Bowl the year before (Woodley).
I've heard that, yes. It's crazy how people could think our QB situation was solved w/ Woodstrock. It wasn't godawful, but c'mon!

What I do remember about that draft - being 10 at the time - is my dad saying, "hey, we got this really good quarterback."

Yep, Dad, you were right!

Mr772
02-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Quinn will be 10 times better than Russell will ever be. Russell does not have a good work ethic.

I don't understand your reasoning. I mean it's not like Pep and Lemon came out and threw for 3000 yards and 25 TD's. It is like saying don't draft Joe Thomas because we have LJ Shelton.

slyfox13
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I dont understand the need or want for Brady ...culpepper seems to be getting thrown under the bus...Quinn did not look NFL ready in their bowl game, and i have a feeling he will be an overhyped qb with performance issues. Im tired of having slow, immobile quarterbacks in Miami, so i think its time for a change. If we can not get Russell by trading up, I hope someone grabs quinn before we do.:rolleyes2um okay:shakeno:

Phanatical
02-19-2007, 12:01 AM
You know, 26 teams made a mistake in 1983 letting Marino slip to us! Let's hope history repeats itself in 2007. This time, only eight teams need to make a mistake!!

Just for the record, no I'm not saying Quinn=Marino. Christ, that's blasthfamy (sp?)! I just think Quinn is going to be a star - above average at the very worst!

Yep, it's not unfathomable that Russell could fall to 9 either.

Tureo
02-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Because I am not sold on either DC or Lemon. However, I am not old on Quinn either nor do I believe he will fall to us at 9 anyway.

Tureo
02-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Why pay for health insurance when you are in perfect health? In the case of Culpepper nor Lemon panning out, we do have Quinn. Also a good QB is a hot commodity that can pay in dividends later. If Cleo proves himself to be a very accomplished passer and Quinn does the same, one of them could net us a very decent return in the trade market.

Not to mention, with the 9th pick we might as well go with best player available regardless of position (even if its a RB). I don't see many draftees at positions of need (like OT and CB) that are clearly worth a top 10 pick.
AT 9 I am not so sure I see too many guys that are clearly worth the pick at 9. I do not want a RB. There is no way we pick a RB at 1 unless we have atrade arranged with some other team and Peterson falls to us. That will not happen so we will be looking at guys like Ginn, Jarret, Adams, Revis, Landry, Willis, and Okoye.

finfansince72
02-19-2007, 08:58 AM

I hope that going RB if thats the BPA at 9 is a joke, I mean picking a RB and tying up like 40 mill in Brown and rookie for the next 4 years is completely insane.
I agree with the original poster, I dont think Quinn will ever approach Daunte at his best, not even close. Quinn will never have a season like Daunte did a couple years back. Panicking when Daunte actually played fairly well considering he was hurt badly while playing is just not smart. Daunte is coming back with a chip on his shoulder. If we give him a solid Oline and some kind of consistant running game he will be a allpro. Quinn may, MAY ever be that good but we know if Daunte is healthy he can be a MVP caliber player. Quinn however, is unproven.

Regan21286
02-19-2007, 06:05 PM

Culpepper's been injured in the past 2 years and could be likely to be injured again. Plus, his performance isn't exactly appealing save for one year. Lemon's a project at best. His mechanics are still way off and he needs work. Quinn is not slow and immobile. He has a 4.80 40 time according to nfldraftcountdown.com while Russell has 4.85. Quinn can scramble even though he's a pocket passer first. Plus, he's NFL ready just as Leinart was. Pocket QB's do well in this league. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Bulger, and even our own Dan Marino were good QB's. Brady Quinn has a chance to be a solid possibly spectacular pocket QB in the league.