PDA

View Full Version : Ginn Not participating at combine

Zeke0123
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
NFL | Ginn Jr. not expected to participate at NFL Combine
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:40:45 -0800

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Ohio State WR Ted Ginn Jr. (foot) is not expected to take part in the NFL Combine. Ginn Jr. continues to recover from a sprained left foot injury.

The Confessor
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I think there was speculation of this in another thread. One of the guru's was predicting a "Pro-day" at Ohio State in a couple of weeks:wink:

banzaitrey
02-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Are any of the top picks expeceted to work out at the combine?

Crunkcore
02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Not surprising.

CANDolphan
02-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I believe Calvin Johnson is opting out of it, going to run at his pro day and thats it.

Levi Brown apparently moved past Joe Thomas on the Patriots draft chart... thats a hot new item

ChambersWI
02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Are any of the top picks expeceted to work out at the combine?

everybody but CJ and maybe Quinn and Peterson. Unless you're a garunteed top 5 pick, it's not a good idea to skip the combine

banzaitrey
02-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I dont know...A lot of times the top 10 players don't even go...Last year who all didn't go...Does anyone remember?

banzaitrey
02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Im guessin Jarret,Peterson,Quinn,Russel,Thomas,CJ21,Ginn,

Crowder52
02-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I believe Calvin Johnson is opting out of it, going to run at his pro day and thats it.

Levi Brown apparently moved past Joe Thomas on the Patriots draft chart... thats a hot new item

Is this a joke? How would anyone know what their draft chart looks like?

slyfox13
02-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Tony Grossi, of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, reports Ohio State WR Ted Ginn Jr. (foot) is not expected to take part in the NFL Combine. Ginn Jr. continues to recover from a sprained left foot injury.
another pro day dude im afraid!:wink:

ChambersWI
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
I dont know...A lot of times the top 10 players don't even go...Last year who all didn't go...Does anyone remember?

Bush,Young, and Leinart didn't go and that's it. I actually think those three went as well, but didn't work out because I keep thinking about the Wonderlic and how poorly Young did.

VT Dolphan
02-18-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm surprised that Ginn isn't going to the Combine. If the guy has one thing working in his favor, it is his blazing speed. His forty time should be absolutely amazing, and would imagine his stock would only go up. Right now there is no guarantee he will be a top fifteen pick, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Plus, if he is still recovering from his ankle sprain, that could raise some questions as to his durability.

GRT8
02-18-2007, 10:53 PM

that has a serious chance in lowering his draft value

CANDolphan
02-18-2007, 11:00 PM

Have you not read any of my posts? I have a guy who actually works in Pioli's office that grew up with me and gives me information. Granted, some of the information he gets is wrong, because its chatter between scouts. Whether they do it on purpose or not is one thing, but he's been dead on about a couple of things ( Patriots being high on Chad Jackson, them trading Deion Branch, and them signing Junior Seau ) so I've learned to trust him.

Crowder52
02-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Have you not read any of my posts? I have a guy who actually works in Pioli's office that grew up with me and gives me information. Granted, some of the information he gets is wrong, because its chatter between scouts. Whether they do it on purpose or not is one thing, but he's been dead on about a couple of things ( Patriots being high on Chad Jackson, them trading Deion Branch, and them signing Junior Seau ) so I've learned to trust him.

Now, this may come as a surprise to you, but I probably haven't read all of your posts you have ever made on this forum. I don't know who your childhood friends are and I don't know where they all work. :cooldude:

But seriously, that is pretty cool to have that kind of insider info, and that's definitely interesting stuff about Levi Brown.

Roman529
02-18-2007, 11:27 PM

The Patriots are not going to come close to sniffing either of these guys so who cares where the Patsies rank them. :confused:

ckparrothead
02-18-2007, 11:42 PM
I don't think it's terribly unexpected. Unlike most of the guys that opt out, Ginn actually has a valid medical excuse. A lot for Ginn is riding on what he runs...because anyone that watches film on the guy comes off thinking he's the fastest player in college football.

With that ankle the way it is, he really needs the time to get it right.

dominizzo
02-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Why Would teddy Ginn do that?

CANDolphan
02-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Now, this may come as a surprise to you, but I probably haven't read all of your posts you have ever made on this forum. I don't know who your childhood friends are and I don't know where they all work. :cooldude:

But seriously, that is pretty cool to have that kind of insider info, and that's definitely interesting stuff about Levi Brown.

Believe it or not, you actually quoted one of my posts where I mentioned slightly I had "insider" information, thats why I was shocked you of all people questioned! :tongue:

he's not 100% accurate, and closer to draft time they get tight lips, but they still let things slip up at lunch and what not.. so I get to hear some good stuff.

And for the guy who said who cares where the patriots rate someone they wont draft him.. well, you dont think teams like the Colts, Patriots, Bears, etc judge and rate the top players in the draft just because " oh we will never get to pick em who cares! " ? That's ignorant, at best. Pioli's office has proven to be one of, if not THE best organization as far as scouting players abilities and drafting goes.. so I tend to take their evaluations a bit more seriously than a team like the 49ers and the Vikings.. not to mention they happen to have TWO first round picks, so if they like someone, they could more than likely get him. Still interesting to know we have the fan base equivalent of Rick Spielman's on this board though! :D

Some risers and fallers from Combine interviews and first impressions:

Calvin Johnson is actually expected to show up and do some drills.. weird! Not 100% sure but his agent didn't pull him out yet apparently.

Jarvis Moss still has injury concerns across the board, but Urban Meyers training staff is going on his behalf to prove it was a fluke that kept him off the field for so long. He's the 3rd ranked DE and 2nd right OLB right now.. if he shows good strength in the drills and the bench press.. he's going to skyrocket. Think Kameron Wimbley from last year.. A direct quote from one of the scouts was " Kid puts up 30 reps and shows anything close to 4.5 on that timer after the 40, he'll be top half...easy "

Which speaks poorly about us being able to draft him :( Oh well. Another guy the Patriots are watching is Brandon Merriweather, so that has to say something.

Ted Ginn is the fifth wide receiver on the Pats board.. yeah, I'm shocked too.. Ive been down on the guy but I definitely didn't have him pegged as low as the 5th. Apparently, though, they base it purely on WR attributes, not so much as PR/KR.. so I guess it makes much more sense. If I had to make a guess, Id say it goes CJ, Jarret, Rice, Meachem, Ginn.

That also reminds me, Miami has GOT to draft Meachem in the 2nd round if they dont get Stallworth in FA.. Guy will show his deceptive game speed. He runs anything under a 4.5 and he might slip into the first round

miamiron
02-19-2007, 05:28 AM

Reggie

miamiron
02-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Why Would teddy Ginn do that?

Either he has a legit injury and does not want to ruin his earning potential for the next few years

or he and his agent are worried about the time he would run his 40 in
just think if he ran a 4.4 his value would drop very fast as would the money train

And for the people out there that think Ginn couldn't get a Dr.s note
Only if he was injured....PLEASE...with this kind of money available I think
it would be rather easy to get a Dr.s note saying you cannot participate

HE WILL END UP RUNNING AT HIS PRO DAY WHILE ALL THE SCOUTS GO CRAZY WITH THOSE HAND HELD TIMES

Boomer
02-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Believe it or not, you actually quoted one of my posts where I mentioned slightly I had "insider" information, thats why I was shocked you of all people questioned! :tongue:

he's not 100% accurate, and closer to draft time they get tight lips, but they still let things slip up at lunch and what not.. so I get to hear some good stuff.

And for the guy who said who cares where the patriots rate someone they wont draft him.. well, you dont think teams like the Colts, Patriots, Bears, etc judge and rate the top players in the draft just because " oh we will never get to pick em who cares! " ? That's ignorant, at best. Pioli's office has proven to be one of, if not THE best organization as far as scouting players abilities and drafting goes.. so I tend to take their evaluations a bit more seriously than a team like the 49ers and the Vikings.. not to mention they happen to have TWO first round picks, so if they like someone, they could more than likely get him. Still interesting to know we have the fan base equivalent of Rick Spielman's on this board though! :D

Some risers and fallers from Combine interviews and first impressions:

Calvin Johnson is actually expected to show up and do some drills.. weird! Not 100% sure but his agent didn't pull him out yet apparently.

Jarvis Moss still has injury concerns across the board, but Urban Meyers training staff is going on his behalf to prove it was a fluke that kept him off the field for so long. He's the 3rd ranked DE and 2nd right OLB right now.. if he shows good strength in the drills and the bench press.. he's going to skyrocket. Think Kameron Wimbley from last year.. A direct quote from one of the scouts was " Kid puts up 30 reps and shows anything close to 4.5 on that timer after the 40, he'll be top half...easy "

Which speaks poorly about us being able to draft him :( Oh well. Another guy the Patriots are watching is Brandon Merriweather, so that has to say something.

Ted Ginn is the fifth wide receiver on the Pats board.. yeah, I'm shocked too.. Ive been down on the guy but I definitely didn't have him pegged as low as the 5th. Apparently, though, they base it purely on WR attributes, not so much as PR/KR.. so I guess it makes much more sense. If I had to make a guess, Id say it goes CJ, Jarret, Rice, Meachem, Ginn.

That also reminds me, Miami has GOT to draft Meachem in the 2nd round if they dont get Stallworth in FA.. Guy will show his deceptive game speed. He runs anything under a 4.5 and he might slip into the first round

In all the years that I've been studyig the draft, I find it nigh on impossible to believe that ANY team has set it's draft board before either the Combine or any of the pro day workouts.

And what does "some risers and fallers from Combine interviews and first impressions" mean?? The Combine hasn't even started yet.

Jarvis Moss has "injury concerns across the board"??? Do you know anything at all about Moss??? Jarvis had a sediment level was 11 times higher than average in 2003/4 after extensive tests to find out why he was losing weight. Turned out that after analysing bone chips from his pelvis, doctors concluded that bacteria had penetrated Moss' pelvic bone during a high school injection, causing a staph infection that feasted on his body. The NFL knows this.

I think we have another DCH on our hands.

If you're going to make up stories, at least have some facts and don't ruin your illusions by showing ignorance about what you're talking about.

Boomer
02-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Ginn has said since the BCS game that he wouldn't be working out in Indy because of the ankle injury. This isn't new news. It's a legitimate injury and he'll work out 10 days later at the OSU Pro Day or at a specially arranged workout in Columbus.

zonk4ever
02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
If this information about the Patriots draft board is true. You can fire Mueller and anyone else in the scouting department and just go with that "LIST". Having said that, it's unbelievable that a team as secretive and successful as the Patriots would provide any list to anybody. That's like the colonel letting everyone know the secret herbs and spices in Kentucky Fried Chicken!

twanderer
02-19-2007, 11:42 AM
what blows me away are the healthy ones who dont participate. I heard a story about one lineman who wasnt going because he had to pick up his pants from the taylor.

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
what blows me away are the healthy ones who dont participate. I heard a story about one lineman who wasnt going because he had to pick up his pants from the taylor.

A lot of these guys get directly challenged at the Combine when they decide not to participate for any non-medical reason. Scouts give them a very hard time, and lately I've been noticing a trend of players showing up thinking they weren't going to participate and then getting talked into it.

These scouts really get after them, calling them cowards and questioning their heart. Rick Spielman interviewed one guy one year and asked why he wasn't participating in the drills and the guy said that because of the cross-country trip and jet lag he felt it was in his best interests to wait until his pro day...and so Rick Spielman said something along the lines of "Ok, I'll just go ahead and make a note here that if we draft you, we have to leave you home whenever we travel to an away game because you can't handle jet lag."

ChambersWI
02-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Ginn has said since the BCS game that he wouldn't be working out in Indy because of the ankle injury. This isn't new news. It's a legitimate injury and he'll work out 10 days later at the OSU Pro Day or at a specially arranged workout in Columbus.

It may be a legitmate injury but it doesn't take that long to heal from a sprained ankle.

Of course I don't think speed is the thing scouts will worry about ith Ginn. His speed will get him drafted high, but Ginn is not that strong, and does have durability questions. IMO he's got to come out and have good bench reps.

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 01:09 PM
It may be a legitmate injury but it doesn't take that long to heal from a sprained ankle.

Of course I don't think speed is the thing scouts will worry about ith Ginn. His speed will get him drafted high, but Ginn is not that strong, and does have durability questions. IMO he's got to come out and have good bench reps.

Tell that to Travis Daniels.

PhinCanuck
02-19-2007, 01:10 PM
I was about to ask how he got that information. I do not think anyone has access to this information, but the team itself. It would be great though !!

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 01:25 PM
I was about to ask how he got that information. I do not think anyone has access to this information, but the team itself. It would be great though !!

I'm with Boomer. I've never known any teams to have compiled a draft board before the Combine

shanem40
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM

i want brown so bad

Finfan53
02-19-2007, 03:40 PM
So no Quinn and no Ginn for the combine.... I can't remember why Quinn isn't or is that just rumor??

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
So no Quinn and no Ginn for the combine.... I can't remember why Quinn isn't or is that just rumor??

Quinn didn't participate in the Senior Bowl. If he skipped the Combine too he'd quite possibly fall to the bottom of the first round. It isn't characteristic of his personality to duck out of both. Supposedly he did have medical people telling him he needed to sit out of the Senior Bowl. I expect him to fully participate in the Combine, maybe excepting the 40 yard dash, which isn't important for him anyway.

rafael
02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm with Boomer. I've never known any teams to have compiled a draft board before the Combine

I also have never heard of a team having a draft board compiled this early, but I have heard scouts say "I/We have this guy above that guy on our board" even though it was early on (and no official board was actually compiled). I don't know whether this poster's inside info is real or not, but it's possible that his friend could have heard a scout say something along those lines.

CANDolphan
02-19-2007, 05:05 PM
In all the years that I've been studyig the draft, I find it nigh on impossible to believe that ANY team has set it's draft board before either the Combine or any of the pro day workouts.

And what does "some risers and fallers from Combine interviews and first impressions" mean?? The Combine hasn't even started yet.

Jarvis Moss has "injury concerns across the board"??? Do you know anything at all about Moss??? Jarvis had a sediment level was 11 times higher than average in 2003/4 after extensive tests to find out why he was losing weight. Turned out that after analysing bone chips from his pelvis, doctors concluded that bacteria had penetrated Moss' pelvic bone during a high school injection, causing a staph infection that feasted on his body. The NFL knows this.

I think we have another DCH on our hands.

If you're going to make up stories, at least have some facts and don't ruin your illusions by showing ignorance about what you're talking about.

lol. Amen to you, brother!

Combine interviews have already begun, and whether you believe that the patriots have a draft board or not, it doesnt really affect me. Have I seen it? No. Has my friend overheard PLENTY of conversations about players " moving above " and " moving below " other people? Sure has.

Believe me or not, but I've hardly shown myself as ignorant about the Draft. Nowhere did I say their draft board was set, nowhere did I claim it was 100% true, nowhere did I say anything that you're trying to apparently call me out on. If you don't believe teams have a list of players, you yourself might want to do some more research, Draft King!

I posted the information as I heard it so a couple of people who could read it could have some neat stuff to read on to help pass the day.. but considering you seem to value yourself as a VALUABLE member of the FINHEAVEN DOT COM draft squad, you'll call bull**** in an attempt to make yourself feel oh so much better that when people need draft news from a 100 person website, they will come to you.

Don't worry, your fragile little ego is safe with me.

Also, I've followed the Gators religiously since Urban Meyer has taken over, and I've probably been to more Gator games than anyone on this board. Jarvis Moss does have INJURY CONCERNS... and yes, I am saying that they are ridiculous concerns which is precisely why Urban Meyer's staff is meeting with different NFL scouts on his behalf.. Hell, even some of the Draft Websites have listed Moss as an " injury concern ". Until they do research, it all remains a concern, same reason that Troy Smith is a " Character Concern " for taking money way back when.

So tell me, honestly, if I donated $100 to this website and posted in every single thread 5 times a day, would I then garner some respect like yourself?

Get a clue, man! Believe or don't believe, because for all I know, he's yanking my chain! He's been right in the past, he's been off in the past, he's been close in the pastI could care less! This is the last time I'll listen to any of your bull**** bantering, because it's the internet and a messageboard, and I don't know who you are or what sort of chip you have on your shoulder, but from the past I've learned with people like you it's best to just say " yeah man, you're right, I could be off " and be on your way.

So, with that.. You're right, Boomer, I might be off! Great Job and good posting! Have a great day!

edit: for the record, I'll say that you and I seem to have had a misunderstanding. You seem to have either taken some things I've said completely wrong and I'm more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt in that effect. One thing I don't take kindly to is a condescending attitude towards me for no apparent reason, but I may be reading too much into some of your comments and I'll admit that. No hard feelings?

Boomer
02-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Quinn didn't participate in the Senior Bowl. If he skipped the Combine too he'd quite possibly fall to the bottom of the first round. It isn't characteristic of his personality to duck out of both. Supposedly he did have medical people telling him he needed to sit out of the Senior Bowl. I expect him to fully participate in the Combine, maybe excepting the 40 yard dash, which isn't important for him anyway.

Brady's working out with Jarrett as we know now, and Alan Branch, so I'll be pretty surprised if he doesn't work out. It'll be interesting to see if he throws. That new Indy turf will probably persuade more to run and we both know he has good wheels.

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 06:37 PM

Combine interviews have already begun, and whether you believe that the patriots have a draft board or not, it doesnt really affect me. Have I seen it? No. Has my friend overheard PLENTY of conversations about players " moving above " and " moving below " other people? Sure has.

Believe me or not, but I've hardly shown myself as ignorant about the Draft. Nowhere did I say their draft board was set, nowhere did I claim it was 100% true, nowhere did I say anything that you're trying to apparently call me out on. If you don't believe teams have a list of players, you yourself might want to do some more research, Draft King!

I posted the information as I heard it so a couple of people who could read it could have some neat stuff to read on to help pass the day.. but considering you seem to value yourself as a VALUABLE member of the FINHEAVEN DOT COM draft squad, you'll call bull**** in an attempt to make yourself feel oh so much better that when people need draft news from a 100 person website, they will come to you.

Also, I've followed the Gators religiously since Urban Meyer has taken over, and I've probably been to more Gator games than anyone on this board. Jarvis Moss does have INJURY CONCERNS... and yes, I am saying that they are ridiculous concerns which is precisely why Urban Meyer's staff is meeting with different NFL scouts on his behalf.. Hell, even some of the Draft Websites have listed Moss as an " injury concern ". Until they do research, it all remains a concern, same reason that Troy Smith is a " Character Concern " for taking money way back when.

So tell me, honestly, if I donated $100 to this website and posted in every single thread 5 times a day, would I then garner some respect like yourself?

Get a clue, man! Believe or don't believe, because for all I know, he's yanking my chain! He's been right in the past, he's been off in the past, he's been close in the pastI could care less! This is the last time I'll listen to any of your bull**** bantering, because it's the internet and a messageboard, and I don't know who you are or what sort of chip you have on your shoulder, but from the past I've learned with people like you it's best to just say " yeah man, you're right, I could be off " and be on your way.

So, with that.. You're right, Boomer, I might be off! Great Job and good posting! Have a great day!

edit: for the record, I'll say that you and I seem to have had a misunderstanding. You seem to have either taken some things I've said completely wrong and I'm more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt in that effect. One thing I don't take kindly to is a condescending attitude towards me for no apparent reason, but I may be reading too much into some of your comments and I'll admit that. No hard feelings?

Hey cool you just went on an insulting tirade about a guy that has forgotten ten times more draft research than you'll ever know, has watched a thousand times more film than you'll ever watch, and has been offered jobs from former NFL scouts. Good job.

Boomer
02-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Combine interviews haven't begun because most prospects aren't in Indy yet. Draft interviews have obviously begun, but not Combine interviews.

As I repeat, Moss' biggest 'concern' is over his missed year and how that relates specifically to his pelvis. Troy Smith's biggest character concerns actually stem from breaking a woman's jaw in a fight and continuing not to distance himself from questionable associates and calling out teammates in private, far more than taking any money. So as you'll see, I got a clue.

As for donating money, I've never donated a penny.

That said, I have no hard feelings at all. At the end of the day it's the internet. Who cares? ;)

CANDolphan
02-19-2007, 07:14 PM
As I repeat, Moss' biggest 'concern' is over his missed year and how that relates specifically to his pelvis.

Trust me, Im big on Jarvis Moss.. I'm just relaying information as I get it. I'm not saying I have spy photos of a giant " TOP 32 ACCORDING TO ME! " board right outside Pioli's office, but my friend works in the mail room and has lunch frequently with two of his scouts.. who happen to drop little hints and comments that he passes along to me. It's better than nothing but hardly something I would call " concrete " I think after the combine Jarvis Moss will be the #1 OLB... even though I think he could be a DE in the right 4-3 system ( look at Kiwanuka )