PDA

View Full Version : Player Comparisons

ChambersWI
02-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Just comparisons for some of the prospects in the draft. If you don't agree with some please explain, and if you've got some to add, please do so.

Please note though, these comparisons are based on similarities and scouting reports from college. None of these comparisons are really insults.

Brady Quinn-Eli Manning
JaMarcus Russell-Ben Rothlisberger
Adrian Peterson-Larry Johnson
Calvin Johnson-Andre Johnson I guess (can't really compare him to anybody)
Ted Ginn J.-Devery Henderson
Alan Branch-Richard Seymour
Adam Carriker-Aaron Smith
Gaines Adams-Simeon Rice
Jamaal Anderson-Charles Grant
LaMarr Woodley-Derrick Burgess
Amobi Okoye-Warren Sapp
Levi Brown-Levi Jones
Leon Hall-Antrel Rolle
LaRon Landry-Brian Dawkins
Reggie Nelson-Ed Reed
Marshawn Lynch-Clinton Portis
Chris Houston-Antoine Winfield
Dwayne Jarrett-Reggie Williams
Patrick Willi-Antonio Pierce
Paul Pozlusney-Lance Briggs
Ryan Kalil-Ton Nalen
Anthony Spencer-Shaun Phillips
Drew Stanton-Jake Plummer
Joe Thomas-Jon Jansen
Greg Olsen-Dallas Clark
Josh Wilson-Darrent Williams
Ben Grubbs-Brian Watters
David Harris-Teddy Bruschi
Anthony Gonzalas-Brandon Stokely
Troy Smith-Drew Brees
Aaron Rouse-Thomas Davis
Tenard Jackson-Ronde Barber
Daymeion Hughes-Tory James

Those are some that stick out to me. Thoughts? Any to Add?

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Just comparisons for some of the prospects in the draft. If you don't agree with some please explain, and if you've got some to add, please do so.

Please note though, these comparisons are based on similarities and scouting reports from college. None of these comparisons are really insults.

Brady Quinn-Eli Manning
Gaines Adams-Simeon Rice
Amobi Okoye-Warren Sapp
Levi Brown-Levi Jones
Leon Hall-Antrel Rolle
Reggie Nelson-Ed Reed
Ryan Kalil-Ton Nalen
Joe Thomas-Jon Jansen
Greg Olsen-Dallas Clark
Ben Grubbs-Brian Watters
Troy Smith-Drew Brees
Aaron Rouse-Thomas Davis

The ones underlined are ones I just don't get how you compare the two.

The very first one, Brady Quinn and Eli Manning, is about as horrible as it gets.

ChambersWI
02-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Eli and Quinn have very similar scouting reports and very similar pedigrees coming out of college.

Allan Branch was more so from going to NFL Draft Countdown, and everybody comparing him to Seymour. He won't be a NT in a 3-4, but he'd be a very good DE.

Leon Hall can be compared to any of the successful Michigan CBs to come around recently, but I didn't really want to compare him to another Wolverine. I don't think Rolle is too bad of a compairison.

Stanton IMO is a lot like Plummer was at Arizona State. Very mobile, some accuracy problems, and hard nosed.

Wilson and Williams wre both physical corners that were undersized and could return kicks and punts

Rouse, like Davis, could be switched to LB in the pros.

Jackson I compared to Ronde due to the fact most feel Jackson is best suited for a cover 2

The rest you underlined I really can't defend that well.

#1dolphinsfan
02-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Brady Quinn-Eli Manning
Calvin Johnson-Chad Johnson
Gaines Adams-Simeon Rice
Amobi Okoye-Warren Sapp
Levi Brown-Levi Jones
Leon Hall-Antrel Rolle
Reggie Nelson-Ed Reed
Ryan Kalil-Ton Nalen
Joe Thomas-Jon Jansen
Greg Olsen-Dallas Clark
Ben Grubbs-Brian Watters
Troy Smith-Drew Brees
Aaron Rouse-Thomas Davis

Crowder52
02-19-2007, 07:57 PM

The very first one, Brady Quinn and Eli Manning, is about as horrible as it gets.

:rolleyes:

TotoreMexico
02-19-2007, 07:59 PM

Brady Quinn-Eli Manning
Gaines Adams-Simeon Rice
Amobi Okoye-Warren Sapp
Levi Brown-Levi Jones
Leon Hall-Antrel Rolle
Reggie Nelson-Ed Reed
Ryan Kalil-Ton Nalen
Joe Thomas-Jon Jansen
Greg Olsen-Dallas Clark
Ben Grubbs-Brian Watters
Troy Smith-Drew Brees
Aaron Rouse-Thomas Davis

More like Randy Moss without the attitude:confused2

Boomer
02-19-2007, 08:04 PM
There's quite a lot I don't agree with. But I'm too tired to write them. Aside from Quinn and Manning.......that's a very bad one.

VT Dolphan
02-19-2007, 08:05 PM

How does Aaron Rouse's game not resemble Thomas Davis's? He was kind of a linebacker playing safety in college and will likely be switched to linebacker in the pros just as Davis was in Carolina. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the perfect comparison.

As for the Brady Quinn/Eli Manning comparison, that one is pretty bad. Quinn seems to have a passion for the game that Eli just doesn't seem to have, plus Eli is as inaccurate as hell. I can't really think of a great comparison for him either, maybe Tom Brady, but that is a stretch as well.

ChambersWI
02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
There's quite a lot I don't agree with. But I'm too tired to write them. Aside from Quinn and Manning.......that's a very bad one.

alrighty then. I guess it's more of a matter of opinion

CitizenSnips
02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
I'll give you an A for effort. At least its different.

ChambersWI
02-19-2007, 08:16 PM
thanks for telling me why the list sucks guys:lol:

TotoreMexico
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
thanks for telling me why the list sucks guys:lol:

We're lazy bums:o

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
How does Aaron Rouse's game not resemble Thomas Davis's? He was kind of a linebacker playing safety in college and will likely be switched to linebacker in the pros just as Davis was in Carolina. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the perfect comparison.

As for the Brady Quinn/Eli Manning comparison, that one is pretty bad. Quinn seems to have a passion for the game that Eli just doesn't seem to have, plus Eli is as inaccurate as hell. I can't really think of a great comparison for him either, maybe Tom Brady, but that is a stretch as well.

Thomas Davis is and was an instinctual playmaker, and a hard worker. Aaron Rouse is none of those things, can't even nail down a starting job.

Scouts agreed that during one of the Senior Bowl practice days, he played better than any time in his entire college career. And, it wasn't a flattering statement.

You'd never say that about Thomas Davis.

ckparrothead
02-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Eli and Quinn have very similar scouting reports and very similar pedigrees coming out of college.

Allan Branch was more so from going to NFL Draft Countdown, and everybody comparing him to Seymour. He won't be a NT in a 3-4, but he'd be a very good DE.

Leon Hall can be compared to any of the successful Michigan CBs to come around recently, but I didn't really want to compare him to another Wolverine. I don't think Rolle is too bad of a compairison.

Stanton IMO is a lot like Plummer was at Arizona State. Very mobile, some accuracy problems, and hard nosed.

Wilson and Williams wre both physical corners that were undersized and could return kicks and punts

Rouse, like Davis, could be switched to LB in the pros.

Jackson I compared to Ronde due to the fact most feel Jackson is best suited for a cover 2

The rest you underlined I really can't defend that well.

Comparisons have to be very style-based. People that keep disagreeing with comparisons, a lot of the time they can't get over X player is as good as Y player when really that's not what you're saying.

In that way, the Rouse-Davis thing I don't like because as prospects, Rouse is not a high character, hard working guy...Davis was. Overachiever/underachiever...not the two kinds of guys I like comparing.

I just disagree with Branch/Seymour comparisons wherever I find them. Branch plays a lot bigger, and doesn't have anywhere near the versatilty that Seymour has. I think Branch could indeed find his way into a NT role.

Rolle was a lot bigger than Hall, a lot faster, made a lot more plays. Rolle was a physical specimen. Leon Hall is not. We'll see where Leon Hall ends up at the Combine but I'd be surprised if he was on Antrel Rolle's level.

Josh Wilson doesn't play with Antoine Winfield's hard-nosed tackling mentality. Wilson is a speed guy. Winfield was never a speed guy. I'd compare Revis maybe, to Winfield.

marcodolphin
02-19-2007, 08:35 PM
quinn-eli manning since i like quinn and i want the dolphins to draft him i will take the manning comparison but not the eli the peyton ,quinn-peyton manning

ChambersWI
02-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Josh Wilson doesn't play with Antoine Winfield's hard-nosed tackling mentality. Wilson is a speed guy. Winfield was never a speed guy. I'd compare Revis maybe, to Winfield.

I didn't compare Wilson to Winfield, I compared him to Darrent Williams

kashbo
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
I like greg olsen, funny story I actually bumped into him @ this Club (Ocean).

Crowder52
02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I like greg olsen, funny story I actually bumped into him @ this Club (Ocean).

That's quite a story. Tell it at a party sometime.

ILfinfan85
02-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Well from your comparisons I would take Troy over all of them!!But I will just stick to Quinn being Quinn.

CANDolphan
02-20-2007, 02:15 AM
That's quite a story. Tell it at a party sometime.

Haha.. I had a laugh. Thank you for this Crowder.

Hell of a story!

Oh, and a good comparison Ive been seeing lately is Jarvis Moss and Mathias Kiwanuka. I have absolutely no idea how that links up, but both are about 6'5 1/2 and 260 lbs.. so I guess it seems good? I dont know, I guess if you can compare Troy Smith to Drew Brees ( what? ) based solely on the fact that they are both 6 foot quarterbacks.

Here is what seems to happen.

Troy Smith? ( small quarterback )
Like him - Drew Brees
Don't like him? Rex Grossman

Ted Ginn? ( small, fast )
Like him - Steve Smith, Santana Moss
Don't like him? Devery Henderson

Joe Thomas? ( white linemen who has a lot of hype )
Like him - Matt Light
Don't like him - Robert Gallery

It's ridiculous at times.

ChambersWI
02-20-2007, 08:51 AM

Smith and Moss aren't anything like Ginn. For 1, they're both about 4 inches shorter than Ginn, and are more polished WRs coming out of college. Though I might give you Smith when he first came out of Utah because he was only good for ST.

dolpns13
02-20-2007, 12:04 PM

My seniments exactly...This thread should have included what the comparisons are exactly.

dolpns13
02-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Haha.. I had a laugh. Thank you for this Crowder.

Hell of a story!

Oh, and a good comparison Ive been seeing lately is Jarvis Moss and Mathias Kiwanuka. I have absolutely no idea how that links up, but both are about 6'5 1/2 and 260 lbs.. so I guess it seems good? I dont know, I guess if you can compare Troy Smith to Drew Brees ( what? ) based solely on the fact that they are both 6 foot quarterbacks.

Here is what seems to happen.

Troy Smith? ( small quarterback )
Like him - Drew Brees
Don't like him? Rex Grossman

Don't like him? Devery Henderson

Joe Thomas? ( white linemen who has a lot of hype )
Like him - Matt Light
Don't like him - Robert Gallery

It's ridiculous at times.

:sidelol: He's a white lineman so he cant be that good :tongue:

ckparrothead
02-20-2007, 12:43 PM
I didn't compare Wilson to Winfield, I compared him to Darrent Williams

Oh god, you're right...that's even worse. Darrent Williams (R.I.P.) wasn't half the speed story that Josh Wilson is.

And Chris Houston to Antoine Winfield is extremely misguided. Houston is a straight up cover corner, not very good against the run at all. Winfield is perhaps the most gifted tackler among all corners in the game...especially on a pound-for-pound basis. Houston's just a completely different kind of player...speed and man-to-man coverage.

ckparrothead
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Smith and Moss aren't anything like Ginn. For 1, they're both about 4 inches shorter than Ginn, and are more polished WRs coming out of college. Though I might give you Smith when he first came out of Utah because he was only good for ST.

I like the Moss/Ginn comparisons for every reason except height. If Ginn were 4 inches shorter, he'd be Santana Moss.

Boomer
02-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Oh god, you're right...that's even worse. Darrent Williams (R.I.P.) wasn't half the speed story that Josh Wilson is.

And Chris Houston to Antoine Winfield is extremely misguided. Houston is a straight up cover corner, not very good against the run at all. Winfield is perhaps the most gifted tackler among all corners in the game...especially on a pound-for-pound basis. Houston's just a completely different kind of player...speed and man-to-man coverage.

I agree with you totally, although I think Chris plays the run a little better than you give credit for. But he's certainly no Antoine Winfield when it comes to that facet of the game and he's no Darrelle Reveis in that area either.

PhinfanUK
02-20-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't get the Drew Brees Troy Smith comparison :confused:. Isn't Smith an extremely athletic quarterback?

The only similarities I can really see there are that they're short for the position and they're both pretty accurate.