PDA

View Full Version : Halo 3 "x" Button

Scatman
02-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Was just reading the the x button in halo 3 is supposed to be something new and pretty special too. There keeping it in tight wraps and it wont even be turnned on during the beta release.

What do you guys think it does?

im thinking that you can pick different chracter classes, so to speak 0 that mkake you have a different spartan suit. Like say a suit that has added armor (but might go slower), one that has a jet pack, one that can go faster, etc. and the "x" button activites the suits special feature.

This is the only thing i can think of thats not completely gay and not worth it. I just figured since the suits pretty much what makes him have the special abilities to begin with, theyll probably do something with it.

Another thing i thought is it might be to command a squad - but that would be kinda stupid in halo game - imo.

UltraDol-Fan
02-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Actually Bungie said that you will see what the secret button does in the BETA, here is a quote from their FAQ on Bungie.net...

Will we see the function of the mysterious X button?
Yes. Whether or not it’ll still be mapped to X is subject to change. And honestly, it won’t be all that surprising. Just cool.

Here is the control scheme from Bungie...

Left and right sticks: Movement and look. Just like H2.
Click left and right sticks: Crouch and zoom – just like H2, although there is a “toggle crouch” option, so that you can stay crouched until you click the stick again.
A: Jump
B: Melee attack. Note: B may also be used to activate a subtle, but nifty context-sensitive feature.
Y: Switch to next weapon.
X: Activate mysterious new feature which on the cool scale falls somewhere between “crouch” and “activate Fantanas on speed dial.”
LT: Toss grenade.
RT: Shoot weapon.
LB: Cycle grenade type (you have at least three types of grenade now, so they must be cycled rather than switched).
RB: Pick up weapon/activate stuff/reload/use turrets and so on.
Note: If you hold LB while standing over a dual wieldable weapon, you’ll pick it up in your left hand – a huge improvement over the “Y” button in Halo 2. This doesn’t affect grenade cycling, because you can still tap LB to cycle grenades, but you can’t toss ‘em while dual wielding anyway. So it’s moot. After about ten minutes of play, it feels incredibly natural, with the lone downside that you have trouble adjusting when you go back to Halo 2. But more vitally, LB reloads the weapon in your left hand, individually when you’re dual-wielding.
BACK: Calls up the Multiplayer “player menu” – where you can mute jerks, see gamer data and so on. The back button is useful, but tough to press in really hectic action, since it’s so close to the Guide button.
START: Pause menu (which is translucent so you can adjust controls without losing track of what’s on screen) and one or two other significant goodies we haven’t revealed yet. From here you can also end or quit a game, naturally.
D-PAD: Used for sweet circular fighting game moves. No wait, my bad - it is currently used to activate team chat, but that’s very provisional. This is being given a lot of care and attention and is tied to other matters, such as your default settings and how team chat and proximity voice work. You’d be amazed how much testing and thought goes into this stuff.

UltraDol-Fan
02-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Here is the full FAQ from Xboxic.com since Bungie.net is blocked at work...

http://www.xboxic.com/news/2414

mor911
02-20-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm thinking it's some kinda class switch. Think battlefield2. You're a sniper, and want to be equiped for heavy artilery... instead of dying and respawning, you can class switch with X. If this is the case, then it would have to take some kind of time where you're vunerable for a few seconds... And it can't automatcally give you as weapon of choice, maybe gear that supports the class?

I dunno, I'm fishing now.

Phinz420
02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Im going out on a limb and guessing that it is some kind of melee kill animation. Something to the ilk of the Chainsaw attack in Gears. I mean, it was just so popular in Gears, why not do something similar for Halo 3?

The only problem I see with that is that half of the reason Gears' chainsaw attack was so cool, is that the game is in a third person perspective. So, unless Bungee were to come up with something really cool, maybe that idea wouldn't have the same effect as it did in Gears.

Anyways, who knows, its just my ignorant speculation :tongue:

Phinz420
02-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking it's some kinda class switch. Think battlefield2. You're a sniper, and want to be equiped for heavy artilery... instead of dying and respawning, you can class switch with X. If this is the case, then it would have to take some kind of time where you're vunerable for a few seconds... And it can't automatcally give you as weapon of choice, maybe gear that supports the class?

I dunno, I'm fishing now.

That would certainly be an interesting twist on fast paced Halo game play.

UltraDol-Fan
02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking it could be as simple as a dive and roll like in PDZ...

DrewAlmighty
02-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm thinking it's like that bubbleshield thing in the trailer.

FinsNCanes
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I wish Halo was 3rd person view. It's probably some sprint bull****..although a roll feature would be pretty cool. It would be kind of cool if you crouched and then shot up in air like a "super jump" of some kind.

Phinz420
02-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I wish Halo was 3rd person view. It's probably some sprint bull****..although a roll feature would be pretty cool. It would be kind of cool if you crouched and then shot up in air like a "super jump" of some kind.

Yeah, maybe cool for 10 seconds while in 1 player story mode.

Online, that would drive me absolutely insane to see people flying in the air like that so much. Bunny Hopping is bad enough in a lot of games, the last thing we need is bunny hopping on crack :lol:

Mike13
02-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm thinking it's like that bubbleshield thing in the trailer.

Thats what I think it will be.

FinsNCanes
02-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, maybe cool for 10 seconds while in 1 player story mode.

Online, that would drive me absolutely insane to see people flying in the air like that so much. Bunny Hopping is bad enough in a lot of games, the last thing we need is bunny hopping on crack :lol:

Have bulit in stamina would fix the problem.

illscriptures
02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Thats what I think it will be.

Whatever it may end up being, I hope they do not **** up the game with it.

I know that crouch and then super jump idea sure would.

Maybe the X button will allow the chief to disrobe his hand and pimp slap some well deserving covenant. (lol)