PDA

View Full Version : Drew Stanton and the Combine.

FinAtic8480
02-20-2007, 06:27 PM
If Drew Stanton has a strong combine any way he moves up in the draft.....What would he have to do to end up like Jay Cutler did last year...

MassFinFan06
02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
NO SCREW-UPS UNDER PRESSURE!
He would really have to impress to move into the 1st Round!:lifter::lifter:

:notme:

VT Dolphan
02-20-2007, 06:42 PM
A lot of people here have been speculating that Drew Stanton could sneak into the end of the first round, and that isn't even including the Combine. He definitely helped his stock in the skills competition a few weeks ago, and with an impressive combine i would not be surprised to see him sneak into the bottom of the first round. I think that that would be a major reach. I wouldn't take him before the third round.

ckparrothead
02-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Yeah I've been speculating that especially when he stands next to Brady Quinn during all these standing non-game-speed drills, many of the scouts will continue to comp to Quinn and the comps will be favorable, and Stanton could sneak into the first in that way.

aj13
02-20-2007, 07:19 PM
ive personally attended several games with stanton AND quinn...

i will say this...stanton is the better...in my mind he could be better than russell but i havent seen much of him...

stanton has a better arm, better legs and is a better leader than quinn...stanton's value dipped because of michigan state's frequent meltdowns late in games but i assure you this was a case of poor coaching than a player...ive been saying for 2 years that stanton is the better qb regardless of value but at where he will be drafted he's a steal...

dont get me wrong i think quinn will be a good nfl qb...but im just a big drew stanton backer...i think with a year or two under the tutelege of cameron, he could jump in and play like phillip rivers...

also, and let mesay this with the utmost conviction, when you have a coach like cam cameron, who can develop qbs, you give the edge to the guy with the better physical tools...in that area, stanton should shine...

UABfan
02-20-2007, 07:19 PM
my thought is that if Brady Quinn is not available in the first round, Miami should take Stanton in the second. and i guess if we miss out on both there is always Jordan Palmer on day 2.

ckparrothead
02-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Ugh, Jordan Palmer...Mr. Waste of Space himself.

When it comes to QBs, I always prefer the guy I perceive to be harder working and a quicker study. Between Stanton and Quinn I think they both have about the same physical tools, but Quinn is more mentally prepared, he's quicker at reading defenses, makes fewer boneheaded plays, and I just think he's the harder worker among the two.

FINSFAN2781
02-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Ive said all along we should draft Stanton with our 2nd pick. Id much rather have him than Quinn, but i think we will end up with Quinn. As long as we draft a QB, im happy.

DefensiveEnd#76
02-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Stanton has a better arm and is a guy who can come through in the clutch more. I also think he's tougher and has more moxy then Brady Quinn.

CANDolphan
02-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Stanton has a better arm and is a guy who can come through in the clutch more. I also think he's tougher and has more moxy then Brady Quinn.

Quinn has been playing behind a horrible line at ND, has played through a ton of injuries and has led a weak ND team to a ton of victories, yet Stanton is a more clutch player and tougher? Give me a break.

sports24/7
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
my thought is that if Brady Quinn is not available in the first round, Miami should take Stanton in the second. and i guess if we miss out on both there is always Jordan Palmer on day 2.
I'd rather Smith, Kolb or Beck over Palmer.

Mike13
02-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Stanton may sneak into the bottom of the first round.
But the teams there don't really need a QB.

If we don't take Quinn in the first, we can get Stanton in the second.

Boomer
02-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd rather Smith, Kolb or Beck over Palmer.

I'd rather you over Palmer

FinAtic8480
02-20-2007, 08:47 PM
I was thinking of him impressing enough to move as far up as Cutler.... Stanton played in a stronger division and hasnt missed anything. Stanton played much better than Cutler at the Bowl game and impressed at the practices. I was wondering what if he has a Combine that pushes him into the top 10... Could that happen....

dahlmarino
02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Quinn has been playing behind a horrible line at ND, has played through a ton of injuries and has led a weak ND team to a ton of victories, yet Stanton is a more clutch player and tougher? Give me a break.

Neither of them have proven to be "clutch" anything, so let's not even bother trying to compare which one is "more clutch".

EDIT: As for tougher, Stanton was on the punt return team as a freshman and was used to pressure the punter as well as block on the return. Just some food for thought...

aerokev
02-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I was thinking of him impressing enough to move as far up as Cutler.... Stanton played in a stronger division and hasnt missed anything. Stanton played much better than Cutler at the Bowl game and impressed at the practices. I was wondering what if he has a Combine that pushes him into the top 10... Could that happen....

in case you missed it, the big 10 has not been a very strong division for some time. with the rules of the bowl games (blitzing types of defense), i wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in it. i think troy smith won some award in one and he blows

slyfox13
02-20-2007, 09:27 PM
If Drew Stanton has a strong combine any way he moves up in the draft.....What would he have to do to end up like Jay Cutler did last year...he looked pretty good in miami last week!:cooldude:

DefensiveEnd#76
02-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Neither of them have proven to be "clutch" anything, so let's not even bother trying to compare which one is "more clutch".

EDIT: As for tougher, Stanton was on the punt return team as a freshman and was used to pressure the punter as well as block on the return. Just some food for thought...

Like I said, Stanton IS tougher. I rest my case. :tongue:

DUB
02-20-2007, 10:18 PM

So you don't think the whoever doesn't get quinn/russell in rd one wont want stanton early in rd two?..:sidelol: Afterall, it is just the Raiders, Lions, Browns, Vikings, Texans and us that may be looking for a qb. If we miss on Quinn we will have to move up to the late 1st to grab Stanton.

2413fanphins
02-20-2007, 10:59 PM
would love to land stanton.

you want to say quinn has a bad team and has to do everything.
Michigan state is not a good team at all.

Stanton has major tools just like quinn. If culpepper comes back and is healthy. We would have our backup qb, and future franchise qb, but wouldn't have to pay him top ten money to sit for 2 or 3 years.
Stanton was friggin impressive in the all star challenges.

This is exactly why we should trade down and get somebodys late first round and second round pick for our first. We could get stanton and have two second rounders. this is my ideal situation.

NMUCats
02-20-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm a fan of Stanton myself. He made some amazing plays at Michigan State that went unnoticed, because he had an absolutely horrid receiving corpse that often dropped balls. He's very elusive, and has a strong arm. Sometimes he tries too hard to make plays and forces balls, but I would attribute that to playing for Michigan State more than anything. He was under similar circumstances to Quinn, but he had a worse coaching staff and a worse receiving corpse.

In my mind, he would be worth a mid-2nd round pick.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Cam & Stanton = Holmgren & Favre

jason8er
02-20-2007, 11:47 PM

I posted this a few weeks ago:

I want Stanton Bad, but for some reason, I'm getting a funny feeling he won't get past Chicago in the late 1st.
I'm not sure what holes da Bears need to fill, but Grossman has to be one of them.

GCD960
02-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Like I said, Stanton IS tougher. I rest my case. :tongue:

i think quinn can beat up stanton

2413fanphins
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
One thing that is really impressive about stanton is his ability to throw on the run. This dude is deadly accurate. I know he had a pathetic set of receivers, but he absolutely lit it up at the all star challenge.

If were going to sit somebody a year, this guy could really be good under cams guidance for a year or two. Wouldn't be paying him top ten dollar either, which is another plus.

ckparrothead
02-21-2007, 11:05 AM
One thing that is really impressive about stanton is his ability to throw on the run. This dude is deadly accurate. I know he had a pathetic set of receivers, but he absolutely lit it up at the all star challenge.

If were going to sit somebody a year, this guy could really be good under cams guidance for a year or two. Wouldn't be paying him top ten dollar either, which is another plus.

"absolutely lit it up at the all star challenge"

First off, no, he didn't, He looked ok. Troy Smith had a bad day, and the other QBs were a joke.

Second, that all star challenge is worth precisely nil as far as evaluating QBs goes.

Who was the superior player on the field, 9 times out of 10? Brady Quinn. Who is being rated a top 5 or maaaaybe a top 10 player? Brady Quinn. Who is currently rated a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback? Drew Stanton.

Motion
02-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Love to land Stanton in the 2nd.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth. That guy is horrible, not even worth a UDFA pickup.

ckparrothead
02-21-2007, 11:12 AM
The way I see it is, if you'd be willing to draft Stanton in the 2nd, there's no reason not to draft Quinn in the first. Stanton in the 2nd would be a contingency plan for when/if Quinn does not fall to #9.

And it's not a contingency plan I'm particularly high on. I like the idea of Troy Smith or John Beck in the 3rd or 4th. I never thought Smith could fall to the 3rd or 4th but he's going to and he's going to be one heck of a deal when he gets there, IMO.

DolfanTom
02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah I've been speculating that especially when he stands next to Brady Quinn during all these standing non-game-speed drills, many of the scouts will continue to comp to Quinn and the comps will be favorable, and Stanton could sneak into the first in that way.
Quinn is by far my first choice, but if you were to tell me that Stanton would be on our roster the Monday after the draft, I would still be happy. There are more question marks for Stanton, but he does have a lot of talent still.

I think he's going to move well into the first round when all is said and done. Kinda like Philip Rivers did, except not all the way to the top of the draft. Many people thought rivers was a 2nd or 3rd round pick at the end of his senior season - then he had workouts, etc., people started watching film and - bam - he skyrocketed up.

Stanton will be similar - IMO - just not quite as far up the draft ladder. Maye 15-20 range in the first?

finfansince72
02-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I really can't stand this arguement that Quinn played on terrible teams. These teams were ranked in the top 5 or so by every major outlet prior to the season. Yea, terrible talent.
I like Stanton alot, in the 2nd he would be really nice, I like him to develop behind Culpepper for a few years.

CANDolphan
02-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I really can't stand this arguement that Quinn played on terrible teams. These teams were ranked in the top 5 or so by every major outlet prior to the season. Yea, terrible talent.
I like Stanton alot, in the 2nd he would be really nice, I like him to develop behind Culpepper for a few years.

I think most people who pride themselves on college football recognized Notre Dame teams were really depleted as far as defensive talent goes. Brady Quinn gets crap for not being able to win a big game when his defense was horribly outgunned for athletes.. not to mention his O-Line was complete crap, thanks to a poor recruiting Tyrone Willingham. They were ranked top5/top10 because.. well.. they are Notre Dame.. the only team to have a major network TV deal

When I think " great player on a bad team " I see someone like Jay Cutler.. not someone like Drew Stanton. I'm just not sold on him.. nor am I sold on Troy Smith..

I was extremely disappointed Miami didn't get Jay Cutler last year ( but how could they? Teams with a clue recognized his talent and attacked.. landing him ) but if they get Brady Quinn, I'll be pleased as punch.. I really like his ability in a Pro Style offense..

ckparrothead
02-21-2007, 11:52 AM
I think most people who pride themselves on college football recognized Notre Dame teams were really depleted as far as defensive talent goes. Brady Quinn gets crap for not being able to win a big game when his defense was horribly outgunned for athletes.. not to mention his O-Line was complete crap, thanks to a poor recruiting Tyrone Willingham. They were ranked top5/top10 because.. well.. they are Notre Dame.. the only team to have a major network TV deal

When I think " great player on a bad team " I see someone like Jay Cutler.. not someone like Drew Stanton. I'm just not sold on him.. nor am I sold on Troy Smith..

I was extremely disappointed Miami didn't get Jay Cutler last year ( but how could they? Teams with a clue recognized his talent and attacked.. landing him ) but if they get Brady Quinn, I'll be pleased as punch.. I really like his ability in a Pro Style offense..

Which is really the bottom line. The Brady Quinn detractors focus on rankings as the basis for saying the Irish should have competed better against LSU, Michigan and USC (three of the top 5 teams in college football, btw).

The people that defend Quinn focus on specifics, the fact that the Notre Dame defense allowed 40+ points each game and never allowed for a comeback...the fact that the Notre Dame receivers had pedestrian speed...the fact that the Notre Dame OL was shredded to pieces by the meat grinder front sevens of USC, Michigan, and LSU.

The people that like Quinn use specifics, details, etc...the people that don't like him use these general hazy (and ignorant, IMO) ranking-based arguments.

PhinCanuck
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
I am not a big Palmer fan. I like Edwards, Kolb, Zabransky, Smith or Leak better.

ckparrothead
02-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I am not a big Palmer fan. I like Edwards, Kolb, Zabransky, Smith or Leak better.

Zabransky, yuck. That guy is not a quarterback.

I don't like Palmer either. Or Trent Edwards.

And I rate Chris Leak right around the same area as Drew Tate and Tyler Palko. Smaller guys that don't throw the ball real well and would have to really develop MARVELOUS consistency to make it as pros, but they've already come this far so it wouldn't hurt to see if any of them could become "system" quarterbacks as UDFAs.

finfansince72
02-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Which is really the bottom line. The Brady Quinn detractors focus on rankings as the basis for saying the Irish should have competed better against LSU, Michigan and USC (three of the top 5 teams in college football, btw).

The people that defend Quinn focus on specifics, the fact that the Notre Dame defense allowed 40+ points each game and never allowed for a comeback...the fact that the Notre Dame receivers had pedestrian speed...the fact that the Notre Dame OL was shredded to pieces by the meat grinder front sevens of USC, Michigan, and LSU.

The people that like Quinn use specifics, details, etc...the people that don't like him use these general hazy (and ignorant, IMO) ranking-based arguments.

Well I guess Im ignorant.:rolleyes: I never went into a extended diatribe about specific games and such, the Quinn debate is one for the ages on here, no need to drag it out here in a great extent. My point is that when people say the Irish had no talent, stunk, etc, etc, and that Brady carried a terrible team thats BS. The Irish were not one of the top 5 teams, they were overrated in the preseason, but they are not like some Boise Tech team with no chance to beat good teams. Brady had some great games against good teams, I like Brady, but I think this argument that he had no talent around him is silly. Yea he didnt play for Ohio State or Florida or whatever but he was on a good college team with a great coach. When you bring up the he played on a bad team card that just excuse making and he doesnt need it. He played well this year and last year I just dont want people telling me he played on some Div2 team with no talent thats nonsense.

Crowder52
02-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Well I guess Im ignorant.:rolleyes: I never went into a extended diatribe about specific games and such, the Quinn debate is one for the ages on here, no need to drag it out here in a great extent. My point is that when people say the Irish had no talent, stunk, etc, etc, and that Brady carried a terrible team thats BS. The Irish were not one of the top 5 teams, they were overrated in the preseason, but they are not like some Boise Tech team with no chance to beat good teams. Brady had some great games against good teams, I like Brady, but I think this argument that he had no talent around him is silly. Yea he didnt play for Ohio State or Florida or whatever but he was on a good college team with a great coach. When you bring up the he played on a bad team card that just excuse making and he doesnt need it. He played well this year and last year I just dont want people telling me he played on some Div2 team with no talent thats nonsense.

Agreed. You also never hear those people say "well, let's ignore the games against Army, Navy, Stanford, etc." when his team was the much more talented one in those matchups. It only works one way...if Notre Dame was worse, let's cry foul. If they were better, let's not mention it.

nick1
02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
if Stanton goes 1st round than we can't get him, I think we get Quinn at the #9 spot. otherwise we have to take a chance that Stanton is there in the 2nd and even though we have a early 2nd I still think he will be gone by than

Stitches
02-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Boise Tech? Is that a division 2 team?

And outside of QB, ND had about the same talent as Penn State in my opinion. It was because of Brady Quinn that thier was a 15 or so disparity in rank between them.

aj13
02-21-2007, 02:55 PM
you guys have no idea how much stanton bleeds for his team...at state, while john l smith had the world collapsing, he was the stand up guy who shouted out to the media, which were bashing the team, what pride he had in green and white...ask anyone in east lansing and they will tell you incredible stories about the guy...hes not just an athlete who let his ego take over...he has the type of personality you build around...his character is unquestioned...not to mention he has the best physical assets in this draft (even though his 40 time may not be that high)....i havent seen much of jamarcus russell...but to me there is no debate between quinn and stanton...both great qbs but one is heads and above...