PDA

View Full Version : Quinn targets final goal: Be the No. 1 pick

DonShula84
02-22-2007, 12:51 AM
"At the same time, I feel as if I have a little bit of a chip on my shoulder coming into the NFL because I didn't do the things I set out for myself," Quinn said.

He is leaving nothing to chance in his bid to reach his third goal. Quinn spent five weeks here at Athletes' Performance Institute, an intensive training facility popular among elite athletes. He reduced his body fat from 6% to 4.9% with a five-day-a-week program that included a nutritionist, a quarterback coach, a boxing trainer and even computer flexibility drills that improved the small muscles in his eyes so he could see the field better.
Quinn left last Friday and returned to South Bend, Ind., where his college coach, Charlie Weis, prepped him Sunday on the impending interview sessions with NFL personnel at the combine.
Tom Brady (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=1163), Pro Bowl quarterback of the New England Patriots, has even given Quinn advice.
"He told me, 'Be yourself. Don't allow your success, what people tell you, to shift who you are,' " Quinn said. "I definitely feel ready. I feel comfortable."
Quinn is arguably the most prepared quarterback in the draft, given his four years as a starter in the big-game, pressure-packed spotlight at Notre Dame. He had two years of tutelage under Weis, the former offensive coordinator at New England who helped transform Brady into a Super Bowl champion.
"I'm in the best position of any college quarterback," Quinn said.
Smart, with a strong arm, leadership qualities and driven personality, Quinn is expected to be a top-three pick and could be the first quarterback chosen even though he fared poorly opposite LSU's JaMarcus Russell (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=4154) in the Sugar Bowl.

Scott Wright of the website NFL Draft Countdown said Quinn is a "potential franchise quarterback in the mold of (Cincinnati's) Carson Palmer (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=2550)."
The Oakland Raiders, who won two games in 2006, and the Detroit Lions, winners of three, have the first two picks. The Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers will pick third and fourth, the order of which will be settled by a coin flip.
Quinn, from Dublin, Ohio, says he's partial to the Browns because of his roots.
"But that's where it ends," he said. "My goal is to put myself, after the combine, in a position where I'm at the top, and every team is like, 'That kid is so valuable, maybe — if we don't need him — we still have to take him.'
"I want to be the No. 1 pick. As far as playing for a certain team, I don't want to say it doesn't matter a lot, but that's my goal."

We'll see if his hard work pays off.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-02-20-combine-quinn_x.htm

Regan21286
02-22-2007, 12:55 AM
I hope he doesn't become the #1 pick...so he can come to us. QB coach meaning Shea? I certainly hope so. If Shea was a Dolphins-first guy, he'd tell Quinn to start loading up on trans-fatty foods and couch potato physical training. :lol: But seriously, I think we'd be the best situation for him to be in. Raiders are in limbo, likewise for Lions.

Lisle Phin Fan
02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
I hope he doesn't become the #1 pick...so he can come to us. QB coach meaning Shea? I certainly hope so. If Shea was a Dolphins-first guy, he'd tell Quinn to start loading up on trans-fatty foods and couch potato physical training. :lol: But seriously, I think we'd be the best situation for him to be in. Raiders are in limbo, likewise for Lions.

:sidelol:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

lets go for a burger Brady

Caldolfan
02-22-2007, 01:13 AM
I hope he is a top 4 pick, then we will be forced to pick somebody we need at a position we need.

CANDolphan
02-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I hope he is a top 4 pick, then we will be forced to pick somebody we need at a position we need.

Quarterback is definitely not a need!

Culpepper will come back and lead us until he's 45 years old!

DonShula84
02-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Quarterback is definitely not a need!

Culpepper will come back and lead us until he's 45 years old!

:lol:

dominizzo
02-22-2007, 01:58 AM
If Quinn Does go Number 1!! Does jamarcus Russell Drop to 9?

CANDolphan
02-22-2007, 02:54 AM
:lol:

You laugh now but god its pretty OBVIOUS to anyone here that QB is NOT A NEED! WASTE OF A PICK WHEN CULPEPPER RETURNS TO GLORY! AND CLEO LEMON! LEMON LAW THOSE DEFENSES BABY!

:tongue:

DonShula84
02-22-2007, 03:18 AM
You laugh now but god its pretty OBVIOUS to anyone here that QB is NOT A NEED! WASTE OF A PICK WHEN CULPEPPER RETURNS TO GLORY! AND CLEO LEMON! LEMON LAW THOSE DEFENSES BABY!

I hope Culpepper does return to his old form...I was laughing at him being our QB until he's 45 though. And if Culpepper doesnt return to glory your plan scares me, because it doesnt exist.

djphinfan
02-22-2007, 03:36 AM
This is going to be a crazy draft,,do we really think that its set in stone that the raiders are going to pick jamarcus russell.

Do we really think detroit is going to pick joe thomas,that would be the fifth strait year detroit takes an offensive player,i personally don't get this one at all,that team needs defense in the worst way.

I see the raiders choosing quinn just as much as russell.

It sure is gonna be fun come april

WelcomeBack
02-22-2007, 03:40 AM
I wouldn't mind Quinn, but there's a lot of players that could be available at 9 that I would be happy with as well.

Gaines Adams, Levi Brown, Alan Branch, LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson. Just to name a few :).

aerokev
02-22-2007, 09:16 AM

while i like culpepper, is he really going to be a top QB in the NFL again? he has played in a handful of games the past 2 years with a major injury so if he cannot play again is miami's future an undrafted free agent QB? if miami needs their QB of the future, it is not like they have had a lot of opportunities to get him in the past, this could be the time, and quinn will be the best player coming out of this draft.

jason8er
02-22-2007, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't mind Quinn, but there's a lot of players that could be available at 9 that I would be happy with as well.

Gaines Adams, Levi Brown, Alan Branch, LaRon Landry, Reggie Nelson. Just to name a few :).
Exactly. Just about anyone at the #9 pick will be an upgrade at that position, as well as a need.

The Rev
02-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Exactly, what I was thinking. There is going to be a lot of players to choose from. All in all, it's going to make for exciting television (as exciting as watching a draft can be). :wink:

cellman007
02-22-2007, 10:02 AM

:bong2:

Stitches
02-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Exactly, what I was thinking. There is going to be a lot of players to choose from. All in all, it's going to make for exciting television (as exciting as watching a draft can be). :wink:

The 2 hours leading up to our pick will seem like forever though.

Spiff
02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Hopefully we will pick the best player available and not the biggest need.

DolfanTom
02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Quinn needs to work as hard as he can on achieving a new goal I'm going to give him - be the #9 pick in the draft! :lol:

dolpns13
02-22-2007, 11:48 AM

:sidelol: :spamattac

WelcomeBack
02-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Hopefully we will pick the best player available and not the biggest need.

I have a strong belief in drafting Best Player Available, but also based on needs. Example, if Adrian Peterson and Levi Brown are both there at 9, I'd rather have Brown since we are already set with a starting RB.

May be just my opinion though. :)

Mr772
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM

:sidelol: :chase:

Finsfan1984
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM

Well It's not so OBVIOUS to me! How can you pass on a player with that high a rating just cause you think an older QB, who has been injured severely and still recovering, has not played good the last 2 years to say the least, is our future for the next decade much less the next few years. How can you pass on a young QB. That is the most critical position of any team, and the one position that has been overly inconsistant since Danny left.

So tell me Einstein, how is this so d*** OBVIOUS?:confused:

Finsfan1984
02-22-2007, 12:52 PM
I have a strong belief in drafting Best Player Available, but also based on needs. Example, if Adrian Peterson and Levi Brown are both there at 9, I'd rather have Brown since we are already set with a starting RB.

May be just my opinion though. :)

Your absolutely right, if we dont need a position, eventhough there is the best player available. People get too caught up on the BPA thing. Its usually pretty close. Except when a team reaches in the 1st for a position need and picks a guy rated in like the late 2nd or 3rd because of need. Much like we did the last draft of Shula when we picked Billy Milner in the 1st.:boohoo:

But if they are fairly close, and one is a position that you dont need and the other is a need position, then its fairly obvious to me then...

DolfanTom
02-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Obvious? :rolleyes2

I want 'Pepper to come back and give us 2-3 good seasons in a row, but that might be like wishing for a Swimsuit model to come to my house and discussing a three-some w/ my wife. Sounds great, but it may not happen. OK, the model thing will definitely not happen, but you get the point. :lol:

Drafting Quinn would not be a waste no matter what. He either becomes great for us, or 'Pepper does come back to form, is great and we trade Quinn in 2-3 years. I don't see Quinn busting in any way. At worst, he'll be a poor-man's Trent Green, which would be the best thing we've had under center since Marino, circa '95-96.

Finsfan1984
02-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Obvious? :rolleyes2

I want 'Pepper to come back and give us 2-3 good seasons in a row, but that might be like wishing for a Swimsuit model to come to my house and discussing a three-some w/ my wife. Sounds great, but it may not happen. OK, the model thing will definitely not happen, but you get the point. :lol:

Drafting Quinn would not be a waste no matter what. He either becomes great for us, or 'Pepper does come back to form, is great and we trade Quinn in 2-3 years. I don't see Quinn busting in any way. At worst, he'll be a poor-man's Trent Green, which would be the best thing we've had under center since Marino, circa '95-96.

Absolutely, at worst thats what he'll be. The guy has already shown what he can do with good coaching and that would continue at the fins...one of the best things he's got going for him is his work ehtic and leadership qualities...he's got his head on straight.

Finsfan1984
02-22-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm tired of this crap about Quinn can't play, and he choked in the big games, this is a bunch of crap.

I'm also tired of people thinking that just cause we have CP we don't need a QB. Heck even if he returns to his previous form of two years ago, we still need a younger QB. He wont play forever, and a good young QB is probably the hardest position to fill. How could you pass it up just cause you think that CP will be OK.

DolfanTom
02-22-2007, 01:24 PM
[/b]

Absolutely, at worst thats what he'll be. The guy has already shown what he can do with good coaching and that would continue at the fins...one of the best things he's got going for him is his work ehtic and leadership qualities...he's got his head on straight.Dude has Peyton Manning-work-ethic written all over him.

May not ultimately have Peyton Manning-talent, but he's got plenty in that department too. Add in the work-ethic and it spells "success."

The most successful athletes in sports have had a great mix of talent and work ethic! Tiger Woods had a gift, but he beat the beJesus out of that gift to get where he is today. Michael Jordan? Jerry Rice? Did anyone work as hard as those guys to get where they were?

A lot of guys have one or the other, and they usually never reach greatness. It's a rarity when you find a player that has both! When you find these kinds of players, you go out of your way to get them! You can never have too many!

CANDolphan
02-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Well It's not so OBVIOUS to me! How can you pass on a player with that high a rating just cause you think an older QB, who has been injured severely and still recovering, has not played good the last 2 years to say the least, is our future for the next decade much less the next few years. How can you pass on a young QB. That is the most critical position of any team, and the one position that has been overly inconsistant since Danny left.

So tell me Einstein, how is this so d*** OBVIOUS?:confused:

Its amazing how easily Sarcasm cannot be detected.. no matter how unsubtle it is..

The :tongue: and me saying Culpepper would QB us until hes 45 didn't give either of you "einsteins" a clue? What's it like on that short bus?

ohiobryan
02-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Quinn Will Be A Fin!

DolfanTom
02-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Its amazing how easily Sarcasm cannot be detected.. no matter how unsubtle it is..

The :tongue: and me saying Culpepper would QB us until hes 45 didn't give either of you "einsteins" a clue? What's it like on that short bus?:rolleyes2

CANDolphan
02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
:rolleyes2

lol, upset that you tried to make me look like an *** but you were just looking in a mirror, eh?

No worries.. its the internet.. hard to tell sarcasm I guess because some people on this board would post what I did... and genuinely believe it