PDA

View Full Version : Can you pass the Wonderlic?

Amars
02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Take a stab at it below. Grab the stop watch, set it for 2 minutes and forty seconds.

Ready?

And with that ... begin:

1. Assume the first 2 statements are true. Is the final one:

1. True
2. False
3. Not certain

The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.

2. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will 4 pads cost?

3. How many of the five pairs of items listed below are exact duplicates? Nieman, K.M. Neiman, K.M.
Thomas, G.K. Thomas, C.K.
Hoff, J.P. Hoff, J.P.
Pino, L.R. Pina, L.R.
Warner, T.S. Wanner, T.S.

4. PRESENT, RESENT — Do these words:
1. Have similar meanings
2. Have contradictory meanings
3. Mean neither the same nor opposite

5. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

6. When rope is selling at $.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents?

7. The ninth month of the year is:
1. October
2. January
3. June
4. September
5. May

8. Which number in the following group of numbers represents the smallest amount?

9. In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?

10. Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

11. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one:
1. True
2. False
3. Not certain

Tom greeted Beth. Beth greeted Dawn. Tom did not greet Dawn.

12. A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?

Time's up.

Answer and Score Calculation below

How'd you do? Check the answers below, and multiply the amount you got right by 4.16.

1. True 2. 84 cents 3. 1 4. 3 5. 300 feet 6. 6 feet 7. September 8. .33 9. 17 10. $560 11. not certain 12. 40 years old

GoonBoss
02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow. So....It means less now than ever.

Wow.

ckparrothead
02-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Well, just imagine only getting ONE of those answers right.

The ninth month of the year. For cryin out loud the ninth month of the year!!!

Dredd1050
02-22-2007, 06:15 PM
I know of some propriotary colleges around the country that use that as the entrance exam!!

Cannonboy
02-22-2007, 06:16 PM
So where are the answers?

Amars
02-22-2007, 06:17 PM
So where are the answers?

Below in small white wording.

ckparrothead
02-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Below in small white wording.

Shh! That was one of the test questions! :)

emocomputerjock
02-22-2007, 06:21 PM
That's it? You're kidding me right? Running that out, I got 100% of them correct. Trust me, you don't want me making decisions on who to throw it to in an NFL offense.

FinFanGirl
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
i got 100% SERIOUSLY -- thats the test

Stitches
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I think it's different than this, though the questions are certainly similar.

Shula Come Back!
02-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I got two wrong so I think that puts me at just over 40. Only Ryan Fitzpatrick did better!LOL-Now that we have the same intellegence as NFL QB's, all we need now is the athleticism-darn!

emocomputerjock
02-22-2007, 06:27 PM
I got two wrong so I think that puts me at just over 40. Only Ryan Fitzpatrick did better!LOL-Now that we have the same intellegence as NFL QB's, all we need now is the athleticism-darn!

Seriously, well, I need about a foot of height and an extra 100 pounds before that even begins.

Shula Come Back!
02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Seriously, well, I need about a foot of height and an extra 100 pounds before that even begins.

haha-right on!

DolphinzD
02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
In response to the question in the title, what score represents "passing?"

emocomputerjock
02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
In response to the question in the title, what score represents "passing?"

Some number that an NFL coach likes? :wink:

Amars
02-22-2007, 06:51 PM
That's it? You're kidding me right? Running that out, I got 100% of them correct. Trust me, you don't want me making decisions on who to throw it to in an NFL offense.

It just part of it. The question are similar to this.

phinMikeDC
02-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I skipped the two word problems because I ran out of time, but I got the rest right. Good post - where did you get this from?

ckparrothead
02-22-2007, 06:59 PM
I've taken the test before...was one of the tests you take to get into my company.

I don't think you can extrapolate a 12-question test into the whole test. The more questions you have to answer the better chance you have that one of them trips you up a bit and screws with your timing.

Also I believe the timing is a little off. To my recollection you had 12 minutes to answer 50 questions. That's 14.4 seconds per question. Not to be nitpicky but this sample gave you 13.3 seconds per question.

The questions are meant to be set up such that any person of decent intelligence COULD answer all of them correctly, given enough time. The timing is of key importance.

Also with 50 questions, mental fatigue, even in only a 12 minute span, can set in and cause slip-ups, mistakes, etc.

So overall I take wonderlic results with a grain of salt...except for when someone scores single digits. When someone scores single digits, I don't care if it's PC or not but you're either punchy...or you have a learning disability. Period. That's why I was very harsh on Vince Young a year ago.

Amars
02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
I skipped the two word problems because I ran out of time, but I got the rest right. Good post - where did you get this from?

Front page of MSN but it links you to FOXsports.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6487846?MSNHPHCP&GT1=9131

Some notable scores according to the article.
Alex Smith — 40 (2005)
Ryan Fitzpatrick — 50 (2005)
Eli Manning — 39 (2004)
Philip Rivers — 40 (2004)
Ben Roethlisberger — 25 (2004)
Ell Roberson — 11 (2004)
Drew Henson — 42 (2003)
Tee Martin — 11 (2000)
Heath Shuler — 16 (1994)
Drew Bledsoe — 37 (1993)
Jeff George — 10 (1990)
Dan Marino — 14 (1983)

ckparrothead
02-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Fitzpatrick's score is bogus. Either he didn't actually score a 50, or he had previous copies of the test to study from (highly likely). Scoring a 50 on the wonderlic is all-but impossible.

CyPhin
02-22-2007, 07:05 PM
This makes you wonder how many academic scandals are out there in NCAA schools. I think that academic violations are like holding calls on the offensive line . . . if you look hard enough you can call holding on every play. Isn't the last major college program that got busted, the U of Minnesota basketball program?

emocomputerjock
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Fitzpatrick's score is bogus. Either he didn't actually score a 50, or he had previous copies of the test to study from (highly likely). Scoring a 50 on the wonderlic is all-but impossible.

Ah, this makes more sense now. Believe it or not, as sort of a placement exam Florida Tech used to deliver a 50 question, 12 minute test almost identical to this. I managed a 45 (I really, really hate train leaving station questions). The only reason I can imagine anyone taking a Wonderlic, ever, is for laughs.

Dolfan2788
02-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Definitely not impossible. For help on passing a specific test to get into medicine my previous school had the med hopefuls take the wonderlic for practise for time among a variety of other tests and I know for a fact that 2 kids out of those 5 got 50.

Super Duper
02-22-2007, 07:23 PM

i got 100% SERIOUSLY -- thats the test

My hats off to both of you. I did the test, timed, one time only and got a 33.28. Not to mention I have a supposed IQ, I really don't belive those tests are accurate, of 140 and hold 2 engineering degrees.

I couldn't answer all the questions in the time frame and had to skip a couple word ones. Plus I messed up the similarity one.

Impressive.

miamiron
02-22-2007, 07:24 PM

Not Ryan Fitzpatrick...your real score tied Frank Gore:wink:

and be PROUD OF IT!!!

Alex44
02-22-2007, 07:26 PM
There are a lot more questions and they get harder as you go. Those are the types of questions asked at the start but they do get harder. How much harder? I don't know but the whole thing isnt that short or easy.

EDIT: I meant the first part of the post...not the one with the whole test.

emocomputerjock
02-22-2007, 07:34 PM
My hats off to both of you. I did the test, timed, one time only and got a 33.28. Not to mention I have a supposed IQ, I really don't belive those tests are accurate, of 140 and hold 2 engineering degrees.

I couldn't answer all the questions in the time frame and had to skip a couple word ones. Plus I messed up the similarity one.

Impressive.

I'm not going to speak for FinFanGirl, but personally, I test exceptionally well. The majority of timed tests are like this. You learn to spot what you're looking for in a hurry. I finished this one with a little under a minute remaining on the clock, and my CCNA with over an hour left. It's not so much analytical but abstract - you let your brain take care of them and quickly double check the ones you know lay in your problem areas. Half of the time you're right anyway. True problem solving (like we engineers are used to) has so many more elements to it, you end up looking for information that's not there, and take more time than you're alotted.

Super Duper
02-22-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm not going to speak for FinFanGirl, but personally, I test exceptionally well. The majority of timed tests are like this. You learn to spot what you're looking for in a hurry. I finished this one with a little under a minute remaining on the clock, and my CCNA with over an hour left. It's not so much analytical but abstract - you let your brain take care of them and quickly double check the ones you know lay in your problem areas. Half of the time you're right anyway. True problem solving (like we engineers are used to) has so many more elements to it, you end up looking for information that's not there, and take more time than you're alotted.

That was part of my problem I looked at a couple thinking they were two strait forward. Thinking they were trick questions.

I also test extremely well. Almost all the tests I took in the later part of my education were completely open book and timed. You got a good grade if you knew the stuff because if you had to look something up and not just reference you could never finish a test or even come close for that matter.

utahphinsfan
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
With all the Vince Young hype, last year, I took the full Wonderlic (30 Q's) and only missed two and one of those I shouldn't have.

montrealfinfan
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
100%, you cant be serious, thats the test how do qb's do so bad on it, i didn't even know what was goin on.

Regan21286
02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Definitely not impossible. For help on passing a specific test to get into medicine my previous school had the med hopefuls take the wonderlic for practise for time among a variety of other tests and I know for a fact that 2 kids out of those 5 got 50.

I agree it's not that hard to get a 50. I've scored it the 2 times I've taken it for fun (when you practice daily on MCATs, any test seems like fun). Though I don't know if using it as a test to get into med school is a wise idea, though I guess if you think a Wonderlic is hard, you can forget about attempting the MCAT, because that's an exercise in mental fatigue, intelligence, and memorization-retention skills.

How Vince Young got what he got is baffling. You'd have to be a preschooler to get only that. And some preschoolers might actually do better. :lol:

CD13
02-22-2007, 11:24 PM

I don't know about all-but impossible, I took one online, assuming it was indeed a wonderlic, and it wasn't that hard.

PublixSubsRule
02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Some of you are scoring pretty high, DID YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS?

I took the test in the 2:40 it said and got 9 right after multipling by 4.16 I got a 37.44, thats pretty good. One question though...

How does this show how draft picks will projects as Pros.

FinAtic8480
02-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I got a 12.48

DonShula84
02-23-2007, 12:08 AM
It's easier to do when you have no pressure and nothing riding on it. I could see test anxiety kicking in and missing a couple easy ones when you think the time is ticking fast.

FinFanGirl
02-23-2007, 03:02 AM
i followed the instructions to the tee -- i had 13 secs remaining when i finished. I dont test extremely well, i did take the MCAT and i scored pretty well on it (although, declined to go to med school). I think there is an actual wonderlick on the si.com website -- it was up last yr when vince young's results came back for people to compare. Its not an exceptionally hard test, it just makes your brain work in ways its not used to.

CCMiamiDolphins
02-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Didnt Marcus Vick do real bad last year?

MarinoForPres
02-23-2007, 04:51 AM
i found last year there was an example olmost whole wonderic test on espn page 2 and i past lol its not to bad im not saying i got all them right lol but quite a few

Roman529
02-23-2007, 05:03 AM
I got 9 right....the other three I was still working on....ran out of time. :D
These are easy compared to the GRE and LSAT and I have taken both.

MoneyBrown
02-23-2007, 05:32 AM
I got a 12.48

:rawk:

danfan13
02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
if you multiply 12 x 4.16 you only come up with 49.92 so how do can you possible score a 50? Also if I remember correctly Dan the Man only scored a 16 on this test so what does this test prove. Nada...

emocomputerjock
02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
if you multiply 12 x 4.16 you only come up with 49.92 so how do can you possible score a 50? Also if I remember correctly Dan the Man only scored a 16 on this test so what does this test prove. Nada...

It's an approximation, not an exact figure. The real test, as stated, has 50 questions on it, and is meant to be taken in 12 minutes.

The test doesn't prove anything, some of the greatest quarterbacks ever didn't score exceptionally well on the Wonderlic. It's just a mental exercise.