PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Tricky Fraud E mail *****

dolfan87
06-18-2003, 05:32 PM
I know this probably belongs in another forum, however this could really screw up your day if you thought it was legit.

The following is an e mail I received today:

Dear customer,

Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card information.
This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/17/2003.
Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you can confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct information.
This e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.

Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
http://www.BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

=====================================================================
ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED

ITEMS PURCHASED
Item No: 73890
CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The order listed above has not yet been processed.
The reason for the delay in processing your order is:

- UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS

- Information provided:
Shipping
41 WINHAM ST
Staten Island, NY 10306
United States
phone# 206-337-9843

In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed to avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.
Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve the cause of the problem.
http://www.BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

Now if you click on the link, it appears to take you to Best Buy'
s website, however if you were to copy and paste the link into your web browser's address bar, it will come up that the page does not exsist. Also if you notice, running your mouse over the link provides a web address starting with www.digitalgamma.com.

Obviously this is not Best Buy's doing. It is a scam to get you to fill out your credit card info, and also your social security number.

Here are two ways to identify if you get a fraudulant e mail such as this.

1. Always copy and paste the link into your web browser. NEVER just click on the link and trust it is from the place they say it's from.

2. Never give your personal info to a website from an e mail. As in this case, the proper procedure for me was to go to www.bestbuy.com, and then call them from the number that is on their website. I asked if the email was for real, they said no, and that was that. ALWAYS go to the company's website yourself, never go from the link provided in the e mail.

I am just looking out for our Fin Heaven members, as this is a quirky little scam that is just getting under way.

Stay Safe.

Migs182005
06-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the warning Gram. ;)

I'll leave it here for a couple of hours and then I'll move it.

DrAstroZoom
06-18-2003, 05:37 PM
You should forward that e-mail to the REAL Best Buy and have them let loose the hounds of litigation!

dolfan87
06-18-2003, 05:41 PM
I did e mail best buy, and I sent them the e mail. Hopefully they will get on it.

IceStorm
06-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Go forth and let loose the dogs of war!

or

Release the hounds!

DrAstroZoom
06-18-2003, 05:46 PM
One more note about this general topic. Folks, if you get a suspicious e-mail, there are a couple great Web references to debunk fraudulent or hoasx e-mails:

www.truthorfiction.com

www.snopes.com

Barbarian
06-18-2003, 10:28 PM
There is one floating around that is very similar to this only it's for eBay... need to be carefull out there guys.

Justasportsfan
06-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

WeVie
06-18-2003, 11:14 PM
It saddens me that people will do crap like this but it saddens me even more the people are dumb enough to fall for these things. You would think that with all the information and warnings out there these days that they would know better.

Clumpy
06-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Death Penalty for these scumbags!!

Capt. Dick
06-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Death Penalty for these scumbags!!

Or worse.....put them in a cage with Cristina Aguilera and only one bowl of food between them.