PDA

View Full Version : Greatest game ever?

Mike13
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
This is pretty much self explanatory, what do you guys think is the greatest game ever?

arsenal
02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
haha whats crazy is i was just gonna post a thread like this... saying if you can only pick ONE game, which would it be...

mine would be Twisted Metal 2 for the playstation, i played that game more than i played any other video game of all time... in the apartments i lived in my best friend lived across the courtyard and we would just play that game every damn day for hours... wed battle each other first, hed be spectre with his special missile that would go through anything, id have to throw the shield up whenever i heard that signature sound, id be axel and we'd just battle it out then go into the co-op story mode and play that way... that game will always be my favorite of all time...

Bruzer
02-23-2007, 11:37 AM
For me its a tie between metal gear solid 1 and zelda ocarina of time for me thats my two greats of all time.

mor911
02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Super Metroid for the SNES. Final Fantasy 6, 4, and 7 get some serious props.

Hate it or love it, World of Warcraft has probably eaten up more game time than all of those combined :wink:

Phin-o-rama
02-23-2007, 12:01 PM
hard question

honestly WoW has kept my interest for like 2 years....it is an awesome game....it is hard not to say WoW is the 'greatest'.....for me anyways...

i was gonna say like....chrono trigger. but i couldn't pick that game up now an play it....

Bruzer
02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
hard question

honestly WoW has kept my interest for like 2 years....it is an awesome game....it is hard not to say WoW is the 'greatest'.....for me anyways...

i was gonna say like....chrono trigger. but i couldn't pick that game up now an play it....

See I would like to play wow but I can't justify the monthly fee for myself. You been playing 2 years thats 300+$ on 1 game I could never justify myself to do that. Not saying its bad but just not for me.

Dolfan5000
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
1. Final Fantasy 7- number 1 all time favorite, spent more than 1,500 hours on that game... ok, think about that, i loved every next hor more than the other. When I finally got Final Attack materia mastered chained with mastered Phoenix, nothing could beat me. Nothing. lol

2. Metal Gear Solid- the storyline had me in a video game crush. Badass Snake stuck on an archipelago in Shadow Moses fighting to save the world from imenent nuclear destruction single-handedly while falling in love to have it ripped from him... twice. Amazing. Hideo Kojima is a video game god. (I know you said one but whatev)

3. Final Fantasy 9
4. Twisted Metal: Black and World Tour (multiplayer was badass in this both)
5. Resident Evil 2
6. R.E. 3

ahh memories

mor911
02-23-2007, 12:09 PM
See I would like to play wow but I can't justify the monthly fee for myself. You been playing 2 years thats 300+$ on 1 game I could never justify myself to do that. Not saying its bad but just not for me.I used to think of it that way... but it's different.

1. They always add new stuff. I'm not talking about the expansion. I'm talking about regular updates adding stuff and changes to make the game better. Developement NEVER stops working, so we have to keep paying them. This isn't Epic studios that is giving a free map or two for Gears. I'm talking about major content regularly.

2. Server/ISP fees. Blizzard has to pay for servers and bandwidth to support 8 million users. That can't be cheap... granted, they do make profit, but a good majority of it goes back to the players in one form or another.

3. Honesly, there's been a lot of 'iffy' games that have come out in the last year that I would have picked up because I had nothing to play. Because WoW was there, there's a lot of games I pass on because I have WoW and it is so entertaining.

I dunno. I used to have the "i ain't paying monthly for a game" mentality... till i tried the WoW free trial.

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Mario Kart 64 - this game is total fun.

KotOR - this game is total total fun

God of War - Holy crap this game is super fun

Chrono Trigger - Fun is what this game is

Motion
02-23-2007, 12:19 PM
God of War
Super Mario Kart
Metal Gear Solid
GTA

mor911
02-23-2007, 12:20 PM
Mario Kart 64 - this game is total fun.

KotOR - this game is total total fun

God of War - Holy crap this game is super fun

Chrono Trigger - Fun is what this game is
Dude, your in-depth description of each game has captivated me :lol:

i kid, i kid

Phin-o-rama
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I used to think of it that way... but it's different.

1. They always add new stuff. I'm not talking about the expansion. I'm talking about regular updates adding stuff and changes to make the game better. Developement NEVER stops working, so we have to keep paying them. This isn't Epic studios that is giving a free map or two for Gears. I'm talking about major content regularly.

2. Server/ISP fees. Blizzard has to pay for servers and bandwidth to support 8 million users. That can't be cheap... granted, they do make profit, but a good majority of it goes back to the players in one form or another.

3. Honesly, there's been a lot of 'iffy' games that have come out in the last year that I would have picked up because I had nothing to play. Because WoW was there, there's a lot of games I pass on because I have WoW and it is so entertaining.

I dunno. I used to have the "i ain't paying monthly for a game" mentality... till i tried the WoW free trial.

thank you for typing that out, couldn't have said it better myself.....but hey to each his own

Mindwarp
02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Pong

Phinz420
02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
NPjsBsz4trk

QYR_acwm0VQ

TrueDolFan
02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
The Legend of Zelda

I played that game so much as a kid, it was ridiculous. To be 11 again...

FinsNCanes
02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Ultima Onlne. One of if not the first MMO ever.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/02/sandersen_05-1.gif

Oh..how I miss the PvP on that game :boohoo:

Motion
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Super Mario 3 was great too

Eop05
02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
NPjsBsz4trk

QYR_acwm0VQ

Mike Tyson's punchout was my all-time favorite.

If you see the way that guy beat Tyson there...I used to be able to beat him without getting hit too. People were amazed that I could do it. A couple years ago my friend set it up in his apartment and no one believed I could beat Tyson. When I beat him, everyone started cheering because they've never seen it done. Of course I got hit a bunch of times (only because it was my first time playing in 12 years)

It's the only game ever that I was head and shoulders above everyone else at.

Bruzer
02-23-2007, 02:25 PM

I completely understand those points be I have played mmo's before and I will get hooked for a few weeks then get bored of having to get more and more xp to get a level up just gets old for me. So I mean I understand for them to run the game that it cost a monthly fee because of server cost and maintence.

Its not that I have a problem making the monthly payment that doesn't bother me but I am more of a singleplayer person so I either can spend about 150$ a year or got 2-3 single player games. I don't hate wow or anything I can imagine its fun its just I am more of a single player and wow is nothing but mp plus the monthly cost. I got tons of mp games barely play any.

Scatman
02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
street fighter 2 - #1

other contenders:
samurai showdown 2
super mario world
halo 1
gears of war (yea super duper fun online)
mario kart 64 (sooo fun..heck yea -lol)
castlevania sotn
super metroid
mario 1
dead or alive 3
grand theft auto

Dolfan984
02-23-2007, 05:18 PM
gvRRIY3YGFU
just a puppet

Amars
02-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Herzog Zwei. I spent hours playing against friends.
3EO53h7nWEU

Alex44
02-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

and

Super Mario Bros. 3

Best games ever hands down.

Alien
02-23-2007, 07:23 PM
i know its not the best game ever but its the one i enjoyed the most playing:
resident evil 4

FinsNCanes
02-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyone remember General Chaos for the Sega?

Can't seem to get the youtube code to work..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aUBiCAm_H4

AirMarino83
02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
both are Super games:
Super mario brothers 3...
tecmo Super bowl...
i can still pick up either and play them with the same entertainment as i did when i was a kid.

Mindwarp
02-23-2007, 09:28 PM
ooooh forgot Donkey Kong Country

Phinz420
02-23-2007, 09:50 PM
ooooh forgot Donkey Kong Country

:rawk:

Mike13
02-23-2007, 10:01 PM
gvRRIY3YGFU
just a puppet

Best. Villian. Ever.

Phin-o-rama
02-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Herzog Zwei. I spent hours playing against friends.
3EO53h7nWEU

dude...nice

Dol-Fan Dupree
02-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Best. Villian. Ever.

you haven't seen Kefka. That is the best villain ever. Not some wussy looking for his mother and then getting mad at humanity because his mother is a huge blob with Kefka. He is just pure evil for the fun of it.

To quote Kefka,

"Bwa ha ha"

"Mwa ha ha"

"Gwa ha ha"

HysterikiLL
02-24-2007, 06:31 AM
Pokeman

Bruzer
02-24-2007, 09:16 AM
my favorite villain has to be revolver ocelot.

Stitches
02-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Final Fantasy VII is my favorite ever right now.

TheMageGandalf
02-24-2007, 02:57 PM
You guys have named some great games...but none shall ever compare to the awesomeness that is: (SEE YOUTUBE LINKS BELOW TOO...ENTIRE FIRST VIDEO ESPECIALLY :evil: )

FALLOUT 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2

(I played that one first so I am partial to that one although many say Fallout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%28computer_game%29 is their fav. of the series)

Nothing compares to them, not even that vaunted FFVII. If you haven't played them, be your own best friend and get them and play them BOTH.

AS far as the greatest villian, I'd say the one from FALLOUT:

THE MASTER http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_%28Fallout%29

IMO, no one has ever been a better villian. Especially when it comes to being a manaical FREAK mutant hell bent on destroying humanity.

e3PXiV95kwA

_mcJAI6oRYY&mode=related&search=

WkBNKa2KXZE&mode=related&search=

DrewAlmighty
02-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Goldeneye.

and while it's not the best game, my favorite has to be Gears of War.

ricky williams
02-24-2007, 04:17 PM
most games i like are the 1st i played when pc gaming was new and exciting to me.

doom/duke nuke em/team fortress classic

warcraft II/age of empires series/company of heroes

return to castle wolfenstein/enemy territory

original panzer general

a hole bunch of role playing games but none that really sticks out because of repetitive boring quests.

heroes of might and magic series

and civ series

Phinz420
02-24-2007, 04:57 PM
most games i like are the 1st i played when pc gaming was new and exciting to me.

doom/duke nuke em/team fortress classic

warcraft II /age of empires series/company of heroes

return to castle wolfenstein/enemy territory

original panzer general

a hole bunch of role playing games but none that really sticks out because of repetitive boring quests.

heroes of might and magic series

and civ series

Those are some true classics right there. I hope that you will join us TFC freaks when TF2 is released over steam :cooldude:

ricky williams
02-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Those are some true classics right there. I hope that you will join us TFC freaks when TF2 is released over steam :cooldude:

i'm always up for a good multi-player frag fest :)

rob19
02-24-2007, 11:13 PM
I may be alone on this but my #1 game ever is

The Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask

I dont know why but i totally love that game...

#2- Oblivion
#3- Fable: TLC

Bruzer
02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I may be alone on this but my #1 game ever is

The Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask

I dont know why but i totally love that game...

#2- Oblivion
#3- Fable: TLC

I love majoras mask as well alot of people don't like it but I like it near as much as OOT.

Ronnieisabeast
02-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Mario 64 has always been my favorite. It was like the old Marios on steriods for me.

rob19
02-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I love majoras mask as well alot of people don't like it but I like it near as much as OOT.

Ocarina of Time is definitely a classic, im not sure why but i just totally love Majors Mask. Getting all the masks was alot of fun to me.

DonShula84
02-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Mine would have to be Zelda Ocarina of Time, Half Life, WoW just because of how much time I spent playing it, and Madden.

Dolfan984
02-25-2007, 02:21 AM
you haven't seen Kefka. That is the best villain ever. Not some wussy looking for his mother and then getting mad at humanity because his mother is a huge blob with Kefka. He is just pure evil for the fun of it.

To quote Kefka,

"Bwa ha ha"

"Mwa ha ha"

"Gwa ha ha"

Lets not get into this again. :lol:

Sephiroth > Kefka

Dolfan984
02-25-2007, 02:22 AM
You guys have named some great games...but none shall ever compare to the awesomeness that is: (SEE YOUTUBE LINKS BELOW TOO...ENTIRE FIRST VIDEO ESPECIALLY :evil: )

FALLOUT 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_2

(I played that one first so I am partial to that one although many say Fallout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%28computer_game%29 is their fav. of the series)

Nothing compares to them, not even that vaunted FFVII. If you haven't played them, be your own best friend and get them and play them BOTH.

AS far as the greatest villian, I'd say the one from FALLOUT:

THE MASTER http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_%28Fallout%29

IMO, no one has ever been a better villian. Especially when it comes to being a manaical FREAK mutant hell bent on destroying humanity.

e3PXiV95kwA

_mcJAI6oRYY&mode=related&search=

WkBNKa2KXZE&mode=related&search=

I've played both.

Sephiroth set off the nuke.

FinsNCanes
02-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Jesus Christ..

I didn't have the patience to watch the videos but I do remember playing Fallout.

Cool game..

Boone
02-25-2007, 03:06 AM
Tecmo Superbowl - SNES
Burnout 3 - PS2
Halo - Xbox

TheMageGandalf
02-25-2007, 03:48 AM
I've played both.

Sephiroth set off the nuke.

:lol:

Nah....

IMO, although a great tough guy, he be just another test subject for the Enclave and their FEV.

Sethdaddy8
02-28-2007, 01:03 AM
I normally like to just say a favorite in threads like these, because everyone usually lists a bunch of games...but I cant. Its too hard.
So here's a mini hall of fame:
(someone should invent a videogame hall of fame btw)
Berzerk(atari)
On Field Boot(football game, 4 on 4)(commodore 64)
Mike Tysons PunchOut(nes)
Tecmo Bowl
Baseball Stars
Super Mario Bros. 2
Altered Beast(genesis)
The 2nd year of Madden (when they had all teams and stats)
Slaughterhouse(Turbo Grafix 16)
Ocarina of Time(N64)
WCW wrestling game by THQ
Resident Evil(playstation)
Final Fantasy 7&8
Tomb Raider 2
GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas(ps2)
(huge fan of the series, each game was a breakthrough IMO)
Final Fantasy 10
Gears of War(360)
Madden 07(360)
Twilight Princess(Wii)

Theres a bunch Im sure I forgot, but Id have to say, Final Fantasy 7 may be my #1.

Sethdaddy8
02-28-2007, 01:12 AM
I've never checked out WOW, and considering that I spend too much time playing games as it is...im kinda afraid to look into it. I dont need another gaming addiction.

Dubfire
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
These may not be the best ever - but all 4 had me by the balls during my college years -

Twisted Metal Black
Halo
Starcraft
Diablo/Diablo II

Ray Finkle
02-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

It was a long game with a lot of fun secrets, puzzles and mini games. Parts of it were very dark for a Nintendo game at the time. Cool graphics, sounds, control was easy. Overall a great game and it never got old replaying it.

Other personal favorites:
Legend of Zelda (NES)
Streets of Rage 1 & 2 (Sega)
WCW/nWo Revenge (N64)
WWF No Mercy (N64)
Super Mario (N64)
Banjo Kazooie (N64)
MVP Baseball 2005 (PS2)

DrewAlmighty
03-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Here's a game I really liked, certainly not the best, but a favorite:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/03/00116606-1.jpg

TexanPhinatic
03-08-2007, 02:35 AM

Well put dude, about the same applies for me :D

Im mostly a PC man, so not much from the consoles on my list. The two things that best take a game from great to epic are storyline and music, and all of the following have them.

1)WoW-spend way to much time playing it, im addicted-if i had to choose one game to play for the rest of my life this would be it.
2)Civ2-PC strat game. Was easy to play and moved fast, yet was the first game that got me in trouble with the parental units for staying up till 3am. Dammit mom, I just want to conquer the freakin Zulus!!
3)FFXII-Epic storyline, best ive played by far. Sephiroth is the baddest mofo, Cloud was cool, and everything was just so engrossing.
4)Half Life 2-Superb graphics with fantastic plot. Very well put together game, say what you want about the Steam platform, the game itself was undeniably good.

Some others ive enjoyed immensely-Rome Total War (nothing like watching your heavy infantry crush those poor Gauls), Homeworld (scifi PC game, amazing graphics and control in a 3d environment, incredible plot), and ofc, the legendary STARCRAFT. Zerg Kerrigan rocked me hard, obvious in retrospect, I never saw it coming, and then BAM. Good gameplay too, terrans ftw.