PDA

View Full Version : American Pastime?

M-REAL
06-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Does everyone agree that football is now considered the American pastime? I think it is but some disagree.

Cranx
06-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Football is America's passion, it's America's sport, and it's America's first sports love.

Baseball, on the other hand, can claim "passtime" all it wants. Passtimes are things you do when there's absolutely nothing else to do and you're really board and I'd have to be on the virge of drowning myself from bordome before I'd watch a game so, sure, Baseball can be the passtime thing all it wants.

Agua
06-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Expo88
I'd have to be on the virge of drowning myself from bordome before I'd watch a game so, sure, Baseball can be the passtime thing all it wants.

Hehhehh. They're actually not bad if you go to the games; sufficient alcohol intake necessary, of course. But on TV? Couldn't agree with you more.

Disgustipate
06-19-2003, 01:12 PM
I think baseball is fairly dead in terms of ever being more popular then football. Too boring in today's day and age, and the people in charge make too many stupid, stupid mistakes.

I'm glad we've got someone like Tags in charge instead of someone like Selig.

baccarat
06-19-2003, 01:16 PM
B-A-S-E-B-A-L-L

DPlus47
06-19-2003, 01:21 PM
football is really the best run league of the three major american sports, and that's been a big help. it's always been my personal favorite anyway, but the product they deliver is far superior to MLB and the NBA and it looks like the NFL is going to be on top for quite some time.

DPlus47
06-19-2003, 01:23 PM
i see disgustipate got where i was going while i was typing... yeah, football has really kept up the integrity of the game, whereas with baseball you have the juiced ball and in basketball you have a lot of selfish play.

baccarat
06-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DPlus47
i see disgustipate got where i was going while i was typing... yeah, football has really kept up the integrity of the game, whereas with baseball you have the juiced ball and in basketball you have a lot of selfish play.

hypocrite! Take a look at Michael Vick and a lot of NFL players. :rolleyes:

dolphinators13
06-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Baseball sucks it's the worst sport ever.

FumanChu
06-19-2003, 01:33 PM
There is always the argument that baseball brings in more $$ and fans than the other sports.. I don't buy it, maybe when fudging numbers in their favor this works out.. and it may have to do with the fact that the baseball season is WAY too long.

If baseball was america's pastime, why is it that this time of year when ONLY baseball is played is considered dead by sports standards.. Baseball goes on strike every couple of years too for contract negotiations, and these are the guys making the most $$. Good riddance to baseball if you ask me.. if baseball was gone I wouldn't have to see the damn Marlins infield during my 'Phins games.

I'm on the side that thinks Football is americas pastime.. College football and pro football bring out huge crowds all across the country.. there are college football games with over 100k fans in attendance!! Look at the super bowl, this event brings in HUGE money and advertising alone costs millions for a 30 second spot.

WeVie
06-19-2003, 01:40 PM
So you are saying Vick is selfish? Yeah right. Maybe some are but not Vick. I don't even think Terrel Owens is selfish. Maybe a little to showy sometimes but not selfish.

Baseball is all but dead anyway. Even the sports writers make fun of it from time to time.

muddaconch
06-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by DPlus47
football is really the best run league of the three major american sports, and that's been a big help. it's always been my personal favorite anyway, but the product they deliver is far superior to MLB and the NBA and it looks like the NFL is going to be on top for quite some time.

This is the correct reason as to why the NFL has become more popular. I just recently read an article in the most recent issue of Street & Smith's Magazine about this very same topic. It introduced some very satisfying and interesting statistics (to me).

"The NFL sells more merchandise, draws higher television ratings and commands more public attention than any other psorts league. Last year, USA Today recognized the trend and re-christened its 11 year old Baseball Weekly publication Sports Weekly, focusing more on football."

"The Superbowl, meanwhile, has become the fouth-biggest "holiday" on the calender behind Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve."

"The NFL has grown so huge that a non-event like the NFL Draft ha become a bigger television draw than the NBA All-Star Game and, arguably, any round of the baseball postseason other than the World Series."

Prime Time
06-19-2003, 01:41 PM
I didn't like baseball but this year I even bought a game (MVP Baseball 2003) for my PS2. Baseball isn't too bad. Not as good as football. Definately not as good as soccer...but then again what is. But Baseball is good. I like it. Not a huge fan-atic but when your bored...you could watch the Marlins.

muddaconch
06-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Here's another good one:

"NFL players have a better public image than their counterparts from other sports. Fans view the NBA players as more self-absorbed and spoiled. Baseball players, not football jocks, have been under the microscope recently for steroid use. And though football players are handsomely paid, fans seem to believe they earn it more because of non-guaranteed contracts and the violence they must endure."

baccarat
06-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by WeVie
So you are saying Vick is selfish? Yeah right. Maybe some are but not Vick. I don't even think Terrel Owens is selfish. Maybe a little to showy sometimes but not selfish.

Baseball is all but dead anyway. Even the sports writers make fun of it from time to time.

I'm saying vick is juiced with steroids.

TerryTate
06-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by dolphinators13
Baseball sucks it's the worst sport ever.

Soccer is pretty bad too....

unless i lived in brazil and it was the only sport around....

dolfan87
06-19-2003, 02:31 PM
Well I have to jump in here and defend Baseball a little bit. It took me until I was pushing 30 to appreciate the sport of baseball. I too hated it, and didn't understand why in the world people watched the game.

However I now follow my D backs like I follow the Phins. I watch almost every game, and I know all the players. The family aspect of it is refreshing, and you don't have to wait a week to watch another game.

There are obviously a lot of negatives about the game (season is too long, players make too much for so little effort) however I enjoy it, and so does my son.

Football is still a lot more exciting, and if I had to pick one or the other, it would be football no question. But since I don't have to pick, then I watch my D-backs. ;)

Going to my first live game this weekend. I'm excited.

End of my story.

iceblizzard69
06-19-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_

He would have gotten caught already.

Football is easily the biggest sport in this country. I like to follow baseball, but watching it puts me to sleep. Football, soccer, and basketball are all a lot better to watch than baseball.

Coral Reefer
06-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by booyeah_

Just Vick????

There are many, many, many players on some type of Illegal strength enhancement. Whether it be steroids, Growth hormone, etc. It's just the way it is.

Coral Reefer
06-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

He would have gotten caught already.

Having played football in college, I can tell you Ice that drug testing for steroids is a complete joke. There are a dozens of ways to manipulate and beat a test. The last time I heard the NFL dosen't even have a test in place for Growth hormone at all yet. You'll find athletes in all sports on steroids. I saw it first hand in college and know one person that I played with that has taken them throughout his NFL career without problems.

muddaconch
06-21-2003, 01:53 AM
None of us know anything. Why speculate?

Coral Reefer
06-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by muddaconch
None of us know anything. Why speculate?

If you've played the game in even a mid size college program or above there is no speculation needed. You would know the truth.
A high level of athletes, especially in football, juice. It's just the way it is. Not saying whether it's right or wrong, it just is.

Danny
06-21-2003, 02:47 AM
Baseball used to be great in the 60's and 70's when it was still a game.Now you have guys who hit 265 and 22 homers that are making 10 mill a year. Football is the sports that's above all the others in America.

Ozzy rules!!!

Rrodr038
06-21-2003, 04:42 AM
See...I agree with some of you that baseball is not as entertaining as football or even basketball...but it definitely (IMO) is more entertaining than hockey or soccer (excluding the world cup).

The reason that I love baseball is that for one...it might be the hardest sport to excell at. Most sports writers would agree that the hardest thing to do in all of sports is to hit a baseball. The reaction time that a player has to recognize what pitch it is, evaluate if its hittable and swing is a mere third of a second! That is just incredible. Secondly, you do not have to be a genetic freak to excel in baseball like you have to in basketball or football. In baseball, a guy that is 5'6'' and 140lbs can be a star, where as in basketball or football they would not even make it. Just as a side note, the average height in basketball is 6'7''; a full 8 inches above the average man's height. Thirdly, besides football and baseball, every other sport has problems with scoring. In soccer and hockey, you would be lucky to see 4 goals all game between the two teams. In basketball, even the better defensive teams can't stop great INDIVIDUAL scorers (which I really dislike). Another problem with basketball is you really don't have to watch the first three quarters. I remember reading somewhere earlier this year that 90% of all basketball games, the two teams are within 6 points of each other somewhere in the fourth quarter.

I really think that there are three reasons why baseball has lost so much popularity. One, in baseball, there is no salary cap or penalties for exceeding a certain amount. Basically, if Bill Gates wanted to buy a team and invest a billion dollars into it, he could probably make his own allstar team. This is why the Yankees, Redsox and Braves will always be competitive (either because of the owner's large pockets, ie the Braves, or the cash crop of the market, ie Yankees and Redsox) while small markets will almost always have bad teams (ie the Marlins, Brewers, Royals and the Expos). The second reason it has lost so much popularity is because it is too slow of a game sometimes, which is a killer in this fast paced society. The third reason is that the current commisioner (Selig) has allowed the game to lose its luster with the fans, because of the Strikes, the allegations of steriod use and all around stupid decisions (like the all-star game fiasco and the pete rose saga). With all of this, if Miami (or where ever you live) had a perrenial playoff team, a lot more of you guys would appreciate baseball a little more. This might have dragged on a bit too long, but long story short, baseball ain't so bad.

XoPhinsoX
06-21-2003, 03:51 PM
Oh lord...BASEBALL.

What a joke, IMO. More like a fashion show with all their jewelry and crap hanging all over them.

These pre-madonnas go out there doing nothing 90% of the time, making crap loads of money compared to any other sport, they complain over anything and everything, and I think most baseball players are cry babies.

Football is a mans sport :D

muddaconch
06-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Um, I have been able to hit a baseball since I have been a kid. It took me a whole football season to learn the art of tackling.

Baseball requires no where NEAR the amount of skill football, soccer, or hockey do.

Basketball is just a rapper sport, no respect for that.

Bobby Humphrey
06-23-2003, 02:00 PM
baseball is only a pastime....

football is to exciting to be a pastime....

so i think baseball can have that kinda boring sounding phrase, if the shoe fits....

Rrodr038
06-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by muddaconch
Um, I have been able to hit a baseball since I have been a kid. It took me a whole football season to learn the art of tackling.

Baseball requires no where NEAR the amount of skill football, soccer, or hockey do.

Um, you can hit a fastball thrown at 90mph down the middle? I doubt it...try going to batting cages and do it...it is not that easy. Not to mention hitting curve balls, change ups, sliders, splitfingers, screwballs all placed to specific parts of the plate like low and outside, up and in and out of the zone completely. Believe me, as a person who used to play high school baseball (and couldn't hit 75mph fastballs that were placed right) and have been playing football and baseball all my life, it is much harder to do what major league hitters do than what football players do...football might be more physically demanding, but baseball (specifically hitting) is just much harder thing to do. You don't have to take my word about it being tough, I think sports illustrated last year ranked hitting a major league pitch the hardest thing in sports to do by an overwhelming margain.

Bobby Humphrey
06-24-2003, 05:13 AM
i agree that baseball players do have something we don't. if not, why aren't we all playing in the mlb for 3 mill a year?

Hellion
06-26-2003, 04:34 AM
Hockey is by far more exciting to watch than baseball.
Baseball is fun to watch when my kids are playing or softball when my daughter is playing, and baseball is a fun game to play, but nothing like football or hockey and I played all three sports in amuture leagues or in high school.
Hell Arena league football is better than baseball.

Baseball needs to learn to change with the times.
Get a salary cap.
15 second pitching clock.
Limit pitch outs to first per batter.
Limit amount of times a batter can step out of the batters box to once per a bat.
Limit extra innings to 3 then call it a tie.
Limit the amount of mound confrences by the catcher.
Shorten the season.
Then maybe basball might survive.

M-REAL
06-26-2003, 05:22 PM
To me, baseball is just as boring in person as it is on TV. Look, where are all the Marlin's fans? The Yankee stadium is always full of their fans. But you pick any NFL team and set them against our Dolphins any day of the year and it will probably be sold out, especially now that most of us are really phening for some football. Baseball is dead, at least in the deep south...

baccarat
06-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Rrodr038

Um, you can hit a fastball thrown at 90mph down the middle? I doubt it...try going to batting cages and do it...it is not that easy. Not to mention hitting curve balls, change ups, sliders, splitfingers, screwballs all placed to specific parts of the plate like low and outside, up and in and out of the zone completely. Believe me, as a person who used to play high school baseball (and couldn't hit 75mph fastballs that were placed right) and have been playing football and baseball all my life, it is much harder to do what major league hitters do than what football players do...football might be more physically demanding, but baseball (specifically hitting) is just much harder thing to do. You don't have to take my word about it being tough, I think sports illustrated last year ranked hitting a major league pitch the hardest thing in sports to do by an overwhelming margain.

That's just for making contact. After hitting the ball you have to run 90 feet fast just get a base hit. Add fielding and baserunning to that and do it 162 times a year and that's very physically demanding.

http://www.thomastontimes.com/articles/2003/04/14/news/sports/fowler.txt

USA Today ranked hitting a Major league baseball as the second most difficult thing to do in sports.

Baseball is dead, at least in the deep south...

It's fanbase is strong in Atlanta.