PDA

View Full Version : Why Crackdown isn't all it's Cracked up to be....

mor911
02-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Well... After spending several hours going through Crackdown, leveling my guy up to 4 stars in everything (damn that was tough), and conquering most of the known gang world... It's safe to say that Crackdown is a mediocre game at best.

The first 2-3 hours of Crackdown is insanely fun. Running, jumping, shooting, blowing stuff up... It's just great. But when the euphoria of the leveling system and the powerful physics sytems where's off, there's little there to keep your attention.

Very similar to the Superman Demo for 360. Flying in Superman was the coolest thing ever... Until you realized that everything else was crap and flying is all there is. Don't get me wrong, Crackdown is nowhere NEAR as bad as Superman. But the missions get very bland once you realize the pattern... You go, kill a million guys, and lay lead into the very easy boss. They're all the same, they're all boring.

The story is as deep as Contra's. There's tons of graphical glitches throughout the city. Once, I fell through the roof of a building and fell below the city into an invisible underground lake... Which I was stuck in. I had to reboot.

The sound effects are awesome in surround and the graphics (glitches aside) as great. I didn't like the half cell shaded and half real look, but it worked.

All in all, gamespot gave it a 7.8. I wouldn't even give it that. I give it a flat 7.0. I still feel like it was a mediocre game and Microsoft knew it... That's why it was packed with the Halo 3 demo. Sad.

Oh well. Hope this helps someone.

Phin-o-rama
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
gah, i disagree completely, but you are obviously entitled....

haven't experienced the graphical glitches per say....and everyone knew it had NO story....its a blast on co-op....its a great sandbox world, without alot of the confines of the gta style game....its just not for everyone.

no way is it a 7....8.5 is my rating and that stands for me.....this is a game i may get tired of if i junky the crap outta it...but in a month i could turn it on and have a blast all over again.

crackdown is what it is...microsoft's demo release basically showed you alot of the game.....did you find the underground area yet? O_o

anyways...i woulda bought it w/o the halo beta key, and that has been the general consensus from the people that have reviewed it over at teamxbox.com.....sorry you didn't like it tho :(

mor911
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
gah, i disagree completely, but you are obviously entitled....

haven't experienced the graphical glitches per say....and everyone knew it had NO story....its a blast on co-op....its a great sandbox world, without alot of the confines of the gta style game....its just not for everyone.

no way is it a 7....8.5 is my rating and that stands for me.....this is a game i may get tired of if i junky the crap outta it...but in a month i could turn it on and have a blast all over again.

crackdown is what it is...microsoft's demo release basically showed you alot of the game.....did you find the underground area yet? O_o

anyways...i woulda bought it w/o the halo beta key, and that has been the general consensus from the people that have reviewed it over at teamxbox.com.....sorry you didn't like it tho :(It's not that I didn't like it.. It just got old because it felt like it never changed. Don't get me wrong, The Mor loves some random sandbox carnage, but it never felt like it changed. I had planned on buying it (halo3 demo or not) because I loved the demo. But I just felt like it got old too quick. I'm sure I'll always pop it in for some crazy city destruction. But it was justn't as good as it was hyped imo.

On the flip side of that, I'm glad you like it! I did buy it, and I don't plan to get rid of it. I know the second I trade it in, they'll release some new missions on XBLM. :lol:

There's an underground? I beat the crap out of the mexicans, the europeans, and most of the asian... Tell me more of this underground place.

Phin-o-rama
02-28-2007, 11:51 AM
i do not know where, but apparently if you throw a grenade in some empty pool somewhere that there is **** underground...ill look around on some forums and post back :o

Dubfire
02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Well... After spending several hours going through Crackdown, leveling my guy up to 4 stars in everything (damn that was tough), and conquering most of the known gang world... It's safe to say that Crackdown is a mediocre game at best.

The first 2-3 hours of Crackdown is insanely fun. Running, jumping, shooting, blowing stuff up... It's just great. But when the euphoria of the leveling system and the powerful physics sytems where's off, there's little there to keep your attention.

Very similar to the Superman Demo for 360. Flying in Superman was the coolest thing ever... Until you realized that everything else was crap and flying is all there is. Don't get me wrong, Crackdown is nowhere NEAR as bad as Superman. But the missions get very bland once you realize the pattern... You go, kill a million guys, and lay lead into the very easy boss. They're all the same, they're all boring.

The story is as deep as Contra's. There's tons of graphical glitches throughout the city. Once, I fell through the roof of a building and fell below the city into an invisible underground lake... Which I was stuck in. I had to reboot.

The sound effects are awesome in surround and the graphics (glitches aside) as great. I didn't like the half cell shaded and half real look, but it worked.

All in all, gamespot gave it a 7.8. I wouldn't even give it that. I give it a flat 7.0. I still feel like it was a mediocre game and Microsoft knew it... That's why it was packed with the Halo 3 demo. Sad.

Oh well. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for posting this. I have read many, many reviews on this game and all of them kinda said what you just said but were afraid to put it in the manner you did. I like the look of the game and premise - but I had a gut feeling that it'd be a shallow game after reading all the reviews. I won't be getting it.

Phin-o-rama
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM
don't deprive yourself of a rent though.....

FinsNCanes
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I was going to check this out (because I am getting a 360 here within the next month) because I move into my new place in April. Once I heard there is only 2 people online kinda pissed me off. I think it would've been cool if online you could have up to 16 people jumping around buildings blowing eachother up.

Scatman
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
agree with mor if your playing single player.

co-op makes it a lot lot better... and honestly if you dont get a chance to play co-op with someoneyou know, i would say that your only realizing 50-60% of the games potential and overall fun.

i palyed with my cousin for like 4 hours the other night, and we had a flipping trip... the most fun..... ive had in a game in a while. and to me thats were this game is good.... if youve got a buddy or cousin, brother wahtever to screw around in the city in..... your gonna have a blast.... kicking the guy of the building, stacking crap up and blowing it up..... for real you can just mess around so much its crazy.

but like Mor said, single palyer lets a ton to be desired, the bosses completely blow, the weapons are way way to standard for this type of game.... they shoulda done some crazy a$$ weapons, like ratchet and clank crap, they shoulda had some boats and planes..... much bigger areas, etc. there is (well was) a lot more potnetial for this game to be "great", but as it stands its just a "good" game... i dont think anyone will feel too bad puschasing it, as your gonna have some good fun with it... nothing too intense, like gears of war or hard missions like gta.... and if you get a buddy, like i said will make a huge difference.

Phin-o-rama
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
crackdown 2 could be insane...they already confirmed it....and im interested to see what downloadable content they come out with for crackdown (also confirmed).

Dubfire
02-28-2007, 03:35 PM
don't deprive yourself of a rent though.....

Definitley going to rent it - looks fun as hell.

mor911
02-28-2007, 03:53 PM
crackdown 2 could be insane...they already confirmed it....and im interested to see what downloadable content they come out with for crackdown (also confirmed).Microsoft better get some kinda exclusivity.... Cause it does have potential to be the next big thing.

Sethdaddy8
02-28-2007, 03:55 PM
The first few hours of this game were as fun as any Ive played. I estimate about 10 or 12 hours to unlock and beat everything in this game(maybe not find all orbs though), and to be honest, thats enough for me, for one game. a 60 hour marathon like Zelda Twilight Princess is too taxing. I love crackdown, though Mor is right too, it does level off a bit, when it merely becomes about beating the bosses.

ps. i hope someone posts when the Halo Beta is available...im liable to forget

Phin-o-rama
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
i will....while im not a halo fiend...i like checking stuff out and will definitely join in on some halo3 action!

Sethdaddy8
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
i will....while im not a halo fiend...i like checking stuff out and will definitely join in on some halo3 action!

thanks

Majpain
02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Looks like a rental at best. Though they did a great job with marketing. Buy Crackdown and your in the Halo 3 beta.

Phin-o-rama
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
no ...its a rental AT LEAST.....not at best

mor's own thread says I spent alot of time having a blast...to get 4 stars in everything is like... ~10 hours...easy

and with scatmans input on co-op, just depends on if thats what you want.....but AT LEAST RENT IT...cuz you are guaranteed 3-5 hours of FUN.

mor911
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
It's definitely a MUST RENT. It's only a buy if you're really into sandbox and blowing **** up

FinsNCanes
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
no ...its a rental AT LEAST.....not at best

mor's own thread says I spent alot of time having a blast...to get 4 stars in everything is like... ~10 hours...easy

and with scatmans input on co-op, just depends on if thats what you want.....but AT LEAST RENT IT...cuz you are guaranteed 3-5 hours of FUN.

I might as well go to the bar and spend 50 bucks for 3-4 hours of fun instead of buy a game :cooldude:

Phin-o-rama
03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/03/runaway-1.gif

UltraDol-Fan
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/runaway.gif

my favorite emoticon! I use it all the time on another board

PhinzN703
03-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the review brother. I'll keep it a shot eventually. Right now I'm waiting for NBA 2K7 from Gamefly. Saints Row was a blast and is my favorite game so far. I wish I didn't beat it so quickly though

UltraDol-Fan
03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I played Crackdown at a friends house last night, I think I am going to pick it up tonight when I get home from work. Although I never really played any GTA style games, the co-op on this one seems like it will be a blast

Phin-o-rama
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
i fired it up last night and put in 2.5 hrs like it was nothing....orb collecting, and got my explosions and firearms up to 3

agility is at like 3.90 so im real close on that....i love the game....i mean i see what mor saying don't get me wrong, but this game fully compliments my gaming style

and its also a game where if a bud is over, i will pop in crackdown to show some 360 fun times...my guy will be all leveled up and awesome!!

did u guys notice that your skin changes as you level up so your guy looks more badass as he goes? (diff hair, more tattoos more piercings)?

mor have you climbed buildings in the suv yet?

VanDolPhan
03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Why playing with friends is a blast:

eaWqseH2A60

#1 Fan
03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
i like the game

Phin-o-rama
03-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Read preview:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/759/759983p1.html

Game goes vertically up and DOWN. Underground.

After I killed the boss, I looked down and somebody threw a grenade in the pool. Or somebody blew up a half dozen propane tanks or something, and a giant hole in the ground opened up. Initially I jumped down to grab an orb -- because, at this point, I was addicted good and proper and could not help myself. The orb was just above this hole in the ground, so I jumped down, got it, and fell through the hole. My co-op partner, a Microsoft employee who had played 25 hours of the final game, said, "Where did you go?" Followed by, "I didn't even know that hole was there." The hole led down about three stories into a massive underground tunnel. And guess what? Explosive barrels and enemies littered the place. An entirely hidden section of the game, which I may have totally missed in one play session, opened up to show me a whole new area to explore.