PDA

View Full Version : Why was the thread locked?

Jason in LA
06-20-2003, 03:01 AM
I had just written a reply in another thread, just to see it was locked. Why? It was said it was becoming counter productive. Why, because we had a good debate going? Funny thing that the thread that got locked down was a thread that said the Dolphins wouldn't go undefeated.

Since I can't put my reply to Expo about OC being bland, I'll put it here.

Yes, I said bland. In a lot of the newer areas there are nothing by track homes. Every damn house looks just like the one next door. They are all painted the same color. How can you guys find your houses out there?

Multiple entertainment centers? That's pretty funny. You mean those mini malls you guys have at every major intersection? It has a movie theater, a Starbucks, a Subway. Maybe it's plush and it has a Cocos, or some other chain restaurant.

Driving down the major streets there aren't stores. There are just large walls or bushes so people aren't looking in other people's back yards. There isn't any culture. Every area looks like every other area.

If anybody has seen the movie Office Space, that's pretty much what OC is. It's as bland as it gets. It's slow. The only event on the weekend is the little league baseball game. When I go to shoot those games I see a parking lot full of mini vans with the team name spray painted on them. The whole family comes out about has a little picnic. It's so nice, and bland.

It's a great place to raise a family, from a parents stand point. They don't have to worry about the big city problems. But if I were a kid, I would hate growing up out there. There's no culture out there. In LA, there is something for everybody. What ever you are into, it's out here. In OC, it's the same old thing where ever you go.

Maybe in 20 years, when I’m 46 years old, I may see it different. But as a guy in his mid 20s, there's no way I'd want to live out there. I'd be bored out of my mind.

WharfRat
06-20-2003, 03:08 AM
A: I locked the thread because it was becoming an argument and getting personal.

B: It was becoming a non-football thread.

C:
Since I can't put my reply to Expo about OC being bland, I'll put it here. No...you won't ...this has absolutely nothing to do with Miami Dolphins football, and is getting moved to the Lounge.

In the future, please keep discussions about places to live, etc out of the Main forum.

Thank You,

Jon

Jason in LA
06-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Damn, are you the police of this board or something?

WharfRat
06-20-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Jason in LA
Damn, are you the police of this board or something?

Actually, the moderators are more like the "police" of the board, which would make me more like the chief of police, and AJ would be the mayor. Does that clear things up?

FinHeavenAJ
06-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Jason in LA, we like to keep things in their proper forum to keep everyone happy. People that wish to read related Dolphin posts go to the Dolphins forum. People that wish to read other posts will go to that related forum. And your post obviously has nothing to do with the Dolphins... so, it got moved here.

Furthermore, as WharfRat said... whenever things get personal, we lock the thread down and stop the argument in its tracks... because we will not tolerate personal attacks.

Billsfan
06-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Sometimes Mods on these boards are way too anal. Everything has to be so nice and in order and if an argument starts becoming too heated, they shut it down. That's one thing I really dislike about these boards. Jesus, we're all adults here, I think we know how to handle social situations.

I don't mean to pick on this board because I really like it (it gets so boring talking about how great your team's going to be all the time, It's nice to have a little back and forth) but you guys seem to shut it down too quick. If a Bills fan says something negative about the fins, it's a pack mentality and many posters start railing on everything Buffalo. If a Fin fan says something negative, they're labeled a traitor, it heats up, and the thread is shut down within minutes.

I think you guys need to lighten up and let the posters do most of the moderating. Less is more!

Billsfan
06-20-2003, 10:18 AM
And my god, it’s not a sin to have a non-football topic on the main Dolphins board! I don’t think the internet gods will mind too much if it’s only for a little while.

WharfRat
06-20-2003, 11:22 AM
I'd also like to add, that the thread in question had a full day to either straighten itself out, or die on its own. It did neither. I felt it necessary to pull the plug on it....

Billsfan
06-20-2003, 11:33 AM
You should hardly ever "pull the plug"

XoPhinsoX
06-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Are we talking about Orange County? And if so, why?