PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider: Jamar Fletcher

FinfanInBuffalo
06-20-2003, 03:40 PM
- 8 million taxpayers who make less than $75,000 a year will get no tax cut at all. That number includes 6.6 million working people who earn no more than $30,000 a year. [could that be because they don't pay any taxes?]
- while child tax credits increased for wealthier families from $600 to $1,000, Congress dropped the credits for the families in the income range of $10,500 to $26,625. There are 6.5 million such families, with 12 million children. [No offense, but why do people who make 10,000 - 20,000 per year have two children?]
- Taxpayers who earn over $1 million will receive an average benefit of $93,500. [Which is a small % of the taxes they pay.]
- "We have passed a bold package of tax relief ... that reaches every single corner of America.''....President Bush [amen]

MaxPower
06-20-2003, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo
- 8 million taxpayers who make less than $75,000 a year will get no tax cut at all. That number includes 6.6 million working people who earn no more than $30,000 a year.

[could that be because they don't pay any taxes?]
In some cases, yes. In others, no. $75K/year is quite a bit. I made MUCH less than that last year & paid nearly $2K in taxes. I wouldn't mind having some of that back for daycare/diapers/etc. Yet I don't want it back if it means cutting some poor kid's free vaccinations, or whatever else. And if I did get it back, it would mean a hell of a lot more to me than Donald Trump's does to him...

- while child tax credits increased for wealthier families from $600 to $1,000, Congress dropped the credits for the families in the income range of $10,500 to $26,625. There are 6.5 million such families, with 12 million children.

[No offense, but why do people who make 10,000 - 20,000 per year have two children?]
That's weak. Who says they each have 2? And what happens when a parent dies and a spouse has to handle it alone on his/her $26K/year teaching job? Who gets to decide who has kids & who doesn't? The point is that the people who are least able to afford quality health/child care are being penalized further - it is not the kids' fault that their parents are idiots. Why handicap these kids further by taking from them to give to the rich(er)?

- Taxpayers who earn over $1 million will receive an average benefit of $93,500.

[Which is a small % of the taxes they pay.]
Granted. So they can afford to (keep) paying it. However, to make up for this give back to the rich - education funding, health care benefits, veteran's benefits, and every other program that plays an important role in the lives of the poor was cut back.

- "We have passed a bold package of tax relief ... that reaches every single corner of America.''....President Bush

[amen]
The irony in this being, of course, that his reach is not always a pleasant one to those of us not directly associated with the oil or the defense industry.

We all want more money, just don't pass off this thing, which is absurdly tilted toward the wealthy of the country, as some sort of populist legislation that helps us all.

Sorry fans to reply in the Fins forum. It belongs elsewhere...:sleep:

FinfanInBuffalo
06-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by MaxPower

I made MUCH less than that last year & paid nearly $2K in taxes.

Personally I'm sick of the amount of taxes I pay.

Who gets to decide who has kids & who doesn't?

The parents decide. I just think other people shouldn't have to pay for them. We have way too many people in this country who think things are owed to them. I fully expect that a % of the population will have fallen on difficults at any one time. I'm tired of the people who take no responsibility for their own actions. Knowingly bringing a child into this world when you are having difiiculty caring for yourself should be a crime.

The irony in this being, of course, that his reach is not always a pleasant one to those of us not directly associated with the oil or the defense industry.

We all want more money, just don't pass off this thing, which is absurdly tilted toward the wealthy of the country, as some sort of populist legislation that helps us all.

The point of the tax cut is to stimulate the economy. Whether it will work is open to debate. The economic boom of a few years back should be enough to convince anyone that a thriving economy is the way to support the less fortunate.

My apologies also. I couldn't resist. Its refreshing to share differing ideas with an obviously intelligent person.

BTW, GO FINS!!!!!

Va.fin fan
06-21-2003, 11:02 PM
i love politics like the next guy. i'm a hard core conservitive, but what does this have to do with this thread about fletcher? or was this a snafu at the site?