PDA

View Full Version : True Co-op play - Good or Bad?

mor911
03-08-2007, 10:37 AM
This is starting to piss me off. The Mor is a competetive gamer. I'm no pro, but I hold my own. But sometimes I don't want to do versus matches. Sometime I want to go through the campaign mode... sometimes I want to do it with a friend.... (hehehe I said "do it with a friend"). Lately, a lot of games have been advertising a co-op mode, but co-op is a little more than bot controlled mutiplayer.

My gripe is because of GRAW2. This game isn't the cause of the madness, it's just the one that I'm playing now that put me over the limit.

GRAW2's "co-op" consists of "mission" modes in multiplayer. It's a big map that makes you go from nav point to nav point killing waves and waves of enemies... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STORYLINE? THE CINIMATICS? Why do they take the coolness of a campaing mode out just because it's multiplayer.

I think more companies need to take a hint from Gears of War when it comes to co-op. Possibly the most impressive and well done co-op game ever. GRAW2's co-op is GRAW1's... I was really hioping for more. Rainbow6: Vegas had a decent co-op... you could even put your own face on the game characters via the vision cam. Problem was, they eliminated briefings and cinimatics. WHY? Didn't think 2 people could be immersed in the same game?

Come on developers, throw us a bone!

Phin-o-rama
03-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I do agree...Gears co-op was really badass. I think Army of Two will rock.

Dolfan5000
03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I wish Resistance would've had a fully co-op compatible online campaign mode. Now that would rock.

arsenal
03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
i think all games need the online co-op, but they also need the local co-op... i dont remember what game it was but i had it for a while, maybe saints row, and there was no local co-op or multiplayer... i dont play online much i play more with friends and **** or roomates or whoever, and i think some developers are going all for the online multiplayer and disregarding the local aspect... i could be completely wrong but thats what i thought of as i read this thread...

UltraDol-Fan
03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
All games need co-op. For me it is the feature that adds the most replayablility. I liked RB6:Vegas cause it even gives the option to do terrorist hunt OR the campain, although like the Mor said they cheesed out the cinematics. Even that wouldn't have been that bad except they wouldn't let you skip through it so you would just spend 3-5 minutes on the helecopter staring at your friends.

mor911
03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
All games need co-op. For me it is the feature that adds the most replayablility. I liked RB6:Vegas cause it even gives the option to do terrorist hunt OR the campain, although like the Mor said they cheesed out the cinematics. Even that wouldn't have been that bad except they wouldn't let you skip through it so you would just spend 3-5 minutes on the helecopter staring at your friends.It'd be cool id they would have used that helicopter ride to re-spec, choose weapons and prepare for the next mission. It's pretty much what you do in the game lobby before launching the game anyway :lol:

FinsNCanes
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
This is starting to piss me off. The Mor is a competetive gamer. I'm no pro, but I hold my own. But sometimes I don't want to do versus matches. Sometime I want to go through the campaign mode... sometimes I want to do it with a friend.... (hehehe I said "do it with a friend"). Lately, a lot of games have been advertising a co-op mode, but co-op is a little more than bot controlled mutiplayer.

My gripe is because of GRAW2. This game isn't the cause of the madness, it's just the one that I'm playing now that put me over the limit.

GRAW2's "co-op" consists of "mission" modes in multiplayer. It's a big map that makes you go from nav point to nav point killing waves and waves of enemies... WHAT HAPPENED TO THE STORYLINE? THE CINIMATICS? Why do they take the coolness of a campaing mode out just because it's multiplayer.

I think more companies need to take a hint from Gears of War when it comes to co-op. Possibly the most impressive and well done co-op game ever. GRAW2's co-op is GRAW1's... I was really hioping for more. Rainbow6: Vegas had a decent co-op... you could even put your own face on the game characters via the vision cam. Problem was, they eliminated briefings and cinimatics. WHY? Didn't think 2 people could be immersed in the same game?

I hear what you are saying. Lots of games recently are either having you go online for co-op or doing "selected missions" like you said with no storyline. I was really stoked when I noticed you can play GoW with offline co-op. I miss split screen. I like sitting back, drinking a beer, smoking a J, and having some good laughs with my friends. This is why we are trying to find as many 2 player RPG (Champions of Norrath is a great one) if you get the chance to play it for the ps2 (very diablo-esque).

FinsNCanes
03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I wish Resistance would've had a fully co-op compatible online campaign mode. Now that would rock.

It does..

I beat it with a friend. Oh..you said online..I'm talking offline.

Agent51
03-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Dude, I'm with you Mor. I used to be strictly a sports gamer, with the occasional racing game or GTA mixed in. Then when Halo 1 came out I got hooked. I know, I know, Halo is overrated, blah blah, lol. But for a gamer like me, it was great, because it was the first FPS I really enjoyed on a console, as I do not like computer gaming. The best part of it was the 2 player co-op. There is nothing cooler than you and a friend taking on the game, and doing the ACTUAL story, not just some levels designed for 2 or more players.

Since Halo I have bought, or rented, pretty much every game that has a 2 player co-op campaign because they are just so damn fun. I agree that it seems like less and less games are giving you the ACTUAL compaign and are instead settling for basically an alernate game mode for co-op but calling it a "campaign."

I'm gonna take it one step further though. I don't like how the games that ARE including "true co-op" campaigns seem to be doing away with the split-screen incarnations. I know this is the age of online gaming, and thats great, it's pretty damn fun (I'm STILL hooked on Battlefield 2: Modern Combat and I have NEVER liked games liek that before it), but there are times you just wanna have your buddies over and drink some beers and go through a story mode together (like in the Halos). I personally am NOT a fan of using the headset, so if I'm trying to do a co-op campaign with a friend via XBL I just get annoyed, because I either have to use the headset, or we have no way of communicating and yelling out a strategy, whereas if we are both chillin on the same couch we can get all into the game and just be right there to yell out strategies (or swears if the other guy dies, :lol:) etc.

Dolfan984
03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
I hear what you are saying. Lots of games recently are either having you go online for co-op or doing "selected missions" like you said with no storyline. I was really stoked when I noticed you can play GoW with offline co-op. I miss split screen. I like sitting back, drinking a beer, smoking a J, and having some good laughs with my friends. This is why we are trying to find as many 2 player RPG (Champions of Norrath is a great one) if you get the chance to play it for the ps2 (very diablo-esque).

I've co-op beat the crap out of CoN, Dark Alliance, and Dark Alliance 2. Great games.

I've also done 4 player co-op of Xmen legends 2 and that was badass as well.

Iceman rules.

DrewAlmighty
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Gears of War has fantastic co-op. Me and my cousin have been playing it on insane, it's a little frustrating, but a lot of fun.

FinsNCanes
03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I've co-op beat the crap out of CoN, Dark Alliance, and Dark Alliance 2. Great games.

I've also done 4 player co-op of Xmen legends 2 and that was badass as well.

Iceman rules.

I rented Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance but we leaned towards Champions of Norrath. Seeing as they don't make that for the xbox I guess we're gonna have to beat Dark Alliance. It still looks like a good game though, just CON seemed to have more custimization (although we didn't get much into DA).

LittlePaulie
03-18-2007, 04:15 AM
I agree all game companies need to develope the co-op interface! I see why Microsoft and Sony want to keep play online and Multi consoles to add to there revenue but i wonder about other options.

My question to people more familiar with the technical aspects of the gaming system is:

1. Would it be so hard or cost prohibitive to allow one game system to play co-op on two tvs?

2. Is it possiblr for a private developer to manufacture the hardware needed to play multiplayer or co-op games on two Tvs from one system?

Just a Idea that keeps popping in my head. I see these systems trying to add features to seperate themselves but never that one??

Megatron
03-18-2007, 04:23 AM
The Mor is wrong as usual. Nobody wants to have fun with their friends. It's all about scoring scrumph. Geez it's like I'm taking crazy pills or something.