PDA

View Full Version : My review of Motorstorm

Dolfan5000
03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
The highly touted best selling PS3 Japan launch game Motorstorm came to North America and Aulstralia Wednesday. I was excited as I had the game on reserve for about two months and today was finally the day. I went up to my local Game Crazy and picked it up; unfortunately I'm still in high school and I had to leave there and go right to work. I left the game in my truck and thought about it all night and of course I had to work until 11:20 when I was supposed to get off at 9:45.

Needless to say I raced home and popped it into my PS3 and the intro made me go =-O. I thought I was watching something real. But here's for the juicy stuff.

-Gameplay- was stellar. Flying around in mud surfaces seeing my tracks affected by the time of day and what dust and dirt was flying into it was amazing (and still is lol). The fast paced races really aren't for the faint of heart. I've had some extremely competitive races so far where I've had to use the boost feature to explode (literally) across the finish line. THAT is exciting. They're some faults however; I've noticed driving around on some tracks they're a COUPLE of invisible depressions in the track surface that can bring your vehicle to a quick and infuriating stop. Other than that, the gameplay gets an A-.

-Graphics- Sure they weren't the E3 teaser good, but they weren't a far cry from reality. I'm telling you, this game is GORGEOUS. In 420 and 720 (it doesn't support 1080 :( ) . They're a few pixelations that you notice in some of the canyon walls if you pause and the crowds are still 2d-definately not next gen. The graphics get a B+.

-Online functionality- (I'll have to get back to this since I haven't beat the story races. Don't do online until you beat it, right?)

-Score- The music doesn't range very far in the game but it FITS very well. From old grungy rock, southern rock, hard rock and some dance/techno every race feels like there's a new song playing. Score gets a B.

Miscellaneous features- The game isn't terribly user friendly. There's no car analysis to see the performance stats of the car- you just really have to go by looks- which can be really annoying when you're trying to race a certain type of vehicle and you can't figure out if they're faster than you or not until they've beaten you ten times in the same race.

The game has a wide variety of vehicles and I REALLY like that. Although they're many different types there aren't too many in each category.

What's with no split screen?

Micellaneous features gets a D.

Overall I give the game a B- to C+. Definately worth a rent and if you're into racing games a buy. The game is certainly the most fun game I have played on PS3 to date (non-online anyway). When I beat the game I'm sure I'll have more to add about the online functionality but for now, go get the storm and check it out your self.

mor911
03-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Good review! :hi5: I'll be picking up my PS3 soon.

Superself
03-09-2007, 12:10 PM
What about tracks? Are there a lot of them?

Scatman
03-09-2007, 12:20 PM
i heard there where 8.

im thinking about getting this game, but i heard that after the 1st 3 hours or so, it gets crazy hard. and i like a challenge and all, but i hate a game thats tooooo difficult to enjoy.

Dolfan5000
03-09-2007, 12:23 PM
i heard there where 8.

im thinking about getting this game, but i heard that after the 1st 3 hours or so, it gets crazy hard. and i like a challenge and all, but i hate a game thats tooooo difficult to enjoy.
It doesn't get CRAZY hard, but it's challenging.

Sorry, they're 10 tracks, I forgot to mention that. The tracks are all completley different with it's own theme to it. Either short and VERY crowded, jumping on cliffs, a giant sand dune etc etc. They all vary.

Dolfan5000
03-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Good review! :hi5: I'll be picking up my PS3 soon.
Thanks Mor! When you pick your PS3 up make sure to get the 60 GB version, Resistance and Motorstorm. No 60 GB means no WiFi and no WiFi sucks. lol

Scatman
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM

Sorry, they're 10 tracks, I forgot to mention that. The tracks are all completley different with it's own theme to it. Either short and VERY crowded, jumping on cliffs, a giant sand dune etc etc. They all vary.

do you really think its worth picking up?

how many hours have you palyed so far?

Dolfan5000
03-09-2007, 12:52 PM
do you really think its worth picking up?

how many hours have you palyed so far?
I do think you should. I've played about five so far.

Superself
03-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Ten tracks kinda sucks....I mean this is a $60 game right??
Hopefully they offer downloadable content.

Motion
03-09-2007, 01:27 PM
I was playing this at the store the other day. Graphics are amazing.

Scatman
03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I do think you should. I've played about five so far.

thanks man, i think im gonna pick it up. ive played the demo i crap load of times.... but the reviews have been very mixed for this so i was kinda on the fence about it.

i got resistance, tekken 5, and vf5, and there pretty good, but you can only play them for so long. also i think its gonna be a while before anything else comes out good for the system.

Dolfan5000
03-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Ten tracks kinda sucks....I mean this is a $60 game right??
Hopefully they offer downloadable content.
Not really, as I've said before I've played about 5 hours and not played on all the tracks yet. The tracks like I said before are REALLY unique. Not the typical track of any other game. 10 tracks isn't a lot, but there's no complaining by me.

Scatman
03-09-2007, 08:22 PM
damn you got me to get it, i swung by eb and bought it. im gona go see 300 and maybe after tonight ill try it out.

Dolfan5000
03-10-2007, 12:13 AM
damn you got me to get it, i swung by eb and bought it. im gona go see 300 and maybe after tonight ill try it out.
OOO AHH!

All I ask is for you to remember us... remember 300...

Dude, I think I'm in love with that movie. I just got back from seeing it and dinner, best fight sequences I've ever seen.

Scatman
03-10-2007, 12:41 AM
OOO AHH!

All I ask is for you to remember us... remember 300...

Dude, I think I'm in love with that movie. I just got back from seeing it and dinner, best fight sequences I've ever seen.

damn movie was good, just took my braveheart spot. i thought it was gonna be a little over the top, but man it was right on.

im gonna try motorstorm tomorrow, for some reason im tired as hell tonight.

Scatman
03-10-2007, 09:48 PM
just tried it for the last 40-50 minutes........

gotta tell you its actullay pretty difficult right from the get go. good, but a little on the difficult side.

Dolfan5000
03-11-2007, 08:18 PM
just tried it for the last 40-50 minutes........

gotta tell you its actullay pretty difficult right from the get go. good, but a little on the difficult side.
Well I'm on level 3 ticket races now and if you think the first 40-50 minutes are tough... ehhh, lol. I'm getting close to done with it though.

Scatman
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Well I'm on level 3 ticket races now and if you think the first 40-50 minutes are tough... ehhh, lol. I'm getting close to done with it though.

yea thats y i was thinking it was pretty difficult to beginwith, i mean it took me like 4 tries on the 1st race (which is usually easy on most games) to get 1st. ive completed only the 1st 2 tickets in the game, all races with 1st. and its been about 2 hours of game time.

gotta say, the levels are very well done. the graphics are also top notch.
tried tog et online and play, but after about 20 minutes of waiting in different rroms for them to start up, i got pissed and shut it off.

i really wish there was multiplayer split-screen in the game, as well as a difficulty selector.

Dolfan5000
03-19-2007, 11:49 PM
yea thats y i was thinking it was pretty difficult to beginwith, i mean it took me like 4 tries on the 1st race (which is usually easy on most games) to get 1st. ive completed only the 1st 2 tickets in the game, all races with 1st. and its been about 2 hours of game time.

gotta say, the levels are very well done. the graphics are also top notch.
tried tog et online and play, but after about 20 minutes of waiting in different rroms for them to start up, i got pissed and shut it off.

i really wish there was multiplayer split-screen in the game, as well as a difficulty selector.
Dude, I'm on the final ticket with two races left and HOLY ****. Those two races I'm holding off on until tomarrow so I don't crush my 600 dollar console against the wall. Took me 1 1/2 hours to beat the first two on the ticket.

When I finish this game I'm going to feel MAJORLY accomplished.

Ah, Armored Core 4 comes out Thursday and I already have it paid for. Convenient timing eh?

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?r=1&type=wmv&id=17890

Dolfan5000
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Dude, I'm on the final ticket with two races left and HOLY ****. Those two races I'm holding off on until tomarrow so I don't crush my 600 dollar console against the wall. Took me 1 1/2 hours to beat the first two on the ticket.

When I finish this game I'm going to feel MAJORLY accomplished.

Ah, Armored Core 4 comes out Thursday and I already have it paid for. Convenient timing eh?
Holy crap

I beat it and it's freakin' intense...
so intense it drains you

Ahh, glory

Scatman
03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
just got to level 2 tickets.... man game is hard, but its soooo much fun while playing you can forgive it. There really should have been a difficulty selection aavialable and split screen

Dolfan5000
03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
just got to level 2 tickets.... man game is hard, but its soooo much fun while playing you can forgive it. There really should have been a difficulty selection aavialable and split screen
Yeah, it's Soooooooooooooooo much fun. Funnest game I've played in a long time.

Good luck on the rest of the game.