PDA

View Full Version : So much stupidity, it will blow your mind.

JoeMama
06-24-2003, 02:26 AM
I browed thru some political articles I had ignored the past week & came across a few gems. I consider myself a pretty skeptical person, but even I was shocked at the level of stupidity in the news this week.

For one, the Supreme Court will hand down a decision this week regarding the Texas sodomy law. You know, the one that bans gay sex between consenting adults. Despite its blatant violation of the Constitution, we can be assured that this vote will be closer than it ought to.

Three reasons...

1) Scalia
2) Rehnquist
3) Thomas

No matter the outcome, stupidity will reign.

If the law is upheld in the Supreme Court, we will get to see the ridiculous reasoning behind the movement by wingnut Justices (which will undeniably explain why fascism & totalitarianism is good for us).

If by some freak accident, the Supreme Court isn't as stupid as I fear it is & the sodomy law is overturned, there will be a massive outcry by the religious right saying that gays are going to eat everyone's children! You just know that the AFA, FOTF, CC, & other Christian hate groups will be slandering the decision for months.

Stay tuned for that!

Then I came across another interesting tidbit. Did any of you know that Enron recieved free money from the government last year? They recieved a 3/4 of a billion dollar tax cut! And don't forget about Worldcom... they recieved a whopping 4 trillion dollar tax cut from Bushy & friends.

It's no wonder these massive corporations give so much to these campaigns. They get it all back 1000 fold!

Last but not least, did anyone read about Bush's censorship of the recent EPA report that is due out in a few weeks? As if it isn't already bad enough that Bush cut the EPA's budget in half, now that despot is X'ing out their report to make his anti-environtmental platform seem more pallatable.

Here's the link but it requires registration (http://www.nytimes.com/auth/login?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/19/politics/19CLIM.html&OQ=th).

PhinPhan1227
06-24-2003, 09:08 AM
Lol...lets bash Bush for Worldcom, and not bring up Clinton and Global Crossing...lovely.

JoeMama
06-24-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm not a Democrat, my man.

I closest relate to this party. I guess you could say they are the party I disagree the least with.

www.lp.org

Clinton was a jerkoff, no argument here.

PhinPhan1227
06-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by JoeMama
I'm not a Democrat, my man.

I closest relate to this party. I guess you could say they are the party I disagree the least with.

www.lp.org

Clinton was a jerkoff, no argument here.

There's a lot to like about the Libertarians, but they're just a little TOO hands off for my tastes. In general, I fall pretty close to dead center. I'm a ProChoice, Pro Gun Control, Anti-Big Gov, Anti-Trade barrier, Pro-Military, Pro-Environment kind of guy. Basically, I have the ability to piss just about anyone off...:lol:

JoeMama
06-24-2003, 12:43 PM
If you're anti-big government, Bush should be enemy #1.

He has swelled the federal government to a size that exceeds any previous liberal. That's my main beef with the man. He ran his entire campagin on the slogan "less government"--which excited me--but has done the opposite.

JoeMama
06-24-2003, 12:50 PM
& if you can name an attorney general more invasive & freedom hating than John Ashcroft, I'd like to know who...

PhinPhan1227
06-24-2003, 01:01 PM
If you're anti-big government, Bush should be enemy #1.

He has swelled the federal government to a size that exceeds any previous liberal. That's my main beef with the man. He ran his entire campagin on the slogan "less government"--which excited me--but has done the opposite.

Actually, for a President fighting a war, he hasn't done too badly. Take a look at the spending increases after the last time American soil was attacked. As for spending overall, both Bush and the GOP majority leader have called for cuts in the spending package which was passed. If you look at who's spending what, you've got a bunch of GOP Congressmen trying to use the control of Congress and the Presidency to push through a lot of pork spending. It's shameful, but nothing the Dems wouldn't be doing as well in the same situation.

PhinPhan1227
06-24-2003, 01:04 PM
& if you can name an attorney general more invasive & freedom hating than John Ashcroft, I'd like to know who...

I'm not a big fan of Ashcroft, but before you make that statement, you should take a look at the laws that were enacted after WWII, and Korea. Some of the crap which was enacted in this country would have made you think that the Nazi's won the war.

JoeMama
06-24-2003, 05:38 PM
What scares me about John Ashcroft is the way he's expanding the government's snooping powers. The potential for abuse is astounding. Given the use of the internet, phone lines, & other forms of communication... Ashcroft is letting the government get away with murder.

They can tap your phone without your consent or knowledge.

They can save your emails to a database at the Pentagon.

They can keep records of library checkouts (like in Seven).

They have set up agreements with private internet providers to disclose all sorts of personal information.

True, there are no intern camps but there are tons of Arab Americans sitting behind bars without formal charges, without access to a lawyer, & without due process.

This guy is setting us back about 50 years socially. He's definately the most totalitarian of the bunch in charge.

baccarat
06-24-2003, 07:06 PM
I hope sodomy laws are overturned. If two consenting, gay adults want to do it in the privacy of their own home, the govt. shouldn't care. I do object though to calling Clarene Thomas a racist and a fascist.(Racism is a huge part of fasicism) First off, if you're going to make such a wild accusation, try backing it with some facts and reason. I consider Clarence Thomas a main stream conservative but you can opine that he's radical. Still, he's not a fanatic blowing up abortion clinics.

PhinPhan1227
06-25-2003, 10:54 AM
What scares me about John Ashcroft is the way he's expanding the government's snooping powers. The potential for abuse is astounding. Given the use of the internet, phone lines, & other forms of communication... Ashcroft is letting the government get away with murder.

They can tap your phone without your consent or knowledge.

They can save your emails to a database at the Pentagon.

They can keep records of library checkouts (like in Seven).

They have set up agreements with private internet providers to disclose all sorts of personal information.

True, there are no intern camps but there are tons of Arab Americans sitting behind bars without formal charges, without access to a lawyer, & without due process.

This guy is setting us back about 50 years socially. He's definately the most totalitarian of the bunch in charge.

Actually they are NOT Arab Americans, they are Arab immigrants. And the vast majority of them are here with expired visas, which means they're here illegaly. I see no problem with legal immigrants being granted all the rights of US citizens, but once someone is or becomes illegal, they become another matter. As for government snooping, I've always felt that America is actually too far to the left where that is concerned. I see no problem with a national fingerprint/DNA database(my fingerprints are on file because I served in the military, so why should someone who did NOT serve deserve annonimity?). I do believe that sharing that information with private companies should be a felony crime, but having the databases in and of themselves would be TREMENDOUS for not only reducing crime(most violent crimes are commited by repeat offenders), but also for insuring that we don't convict innocent individuals. In England, the police can conduct a "DNA sweep", where they collect DNA from every person in an area that matches the description of a person who committed a crime. In America we would see this as the start of a fascist state...but England seems to be holding on to it's civil rights despite such "invasive" acts...:cool:

Joe Friday
06-25-2003, 01:50 PM
We've gone over this before but just to chime in, John Ashcroft is one of the most dangerous men in the US today. Can you say J. Edgar Hoover? Sen. McCarthy?