PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 Headset Question

Agent51
03-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Shouldn't other people's voices play through my headset instead of my tv/surround sound? I ask because I've been addicted to Battlefield 2: Modern Combat recently and I just now, for the first time ever, opened my headset (yes, the one that came with the system, it's been sitting in the orange plastic bag, still sealed, for about a year now, lol) to try it out. I usually play with the volume muted or way down and some music on, but I decided I might as well try out the headset and see what my teammates are saying (I always see the little mic icon pop up but never knew what the were saying, lol). Well, I heard NOTHING through my headset (yes, it was unmuted and the volume was all the way up) and peoples voices were coming through my surround sound. That is HIGHLY annoying IMO. Is there a setting to change it or something? I think one time I heard a voice through the headset, and it was pretty loud and clear, but the rest were through the surround sound and barely audible over the explosions. I don't wanna turn the TV volume up because the explosions are already super loud. I just assumed if you use a headset other people's voices play through it, like when I played my friends in Madden on PS2, their voices came through the headset and not the TV. Could it be that I got a faulty headset? The jack WAS bent when I took it out (I found it at the bottom of a junk drawer) but it bent right back into place. I just wanna know if the voices are SUPPOSED to play through the TV or if they are supposed to go through the headset and mine is just broken? It's REALLY dumb if you have to listen through the TV even though you have a headset. Forgive me for the noob question too, lol, but I NEVER online game, outside of Madden, which is the only other time I have ever used a headset online (and it was PS2 like a year ago, not the 360). I DID use my headset with SOCOM/SOCOM II and the voices played through it, so what gives with the 360/BF2?

Phin-o-rama
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
its a setting if you want other peoples voices to come through the headphones or tv speakers....console setting, not game setting (check preferences or something)

UltraDol-Fan
03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
yeah, it's a console setting. Xbox guide button, settings

Agent51
03-13-2007, 01:36 PM
sweet, thanks

Agent51
03-13-2007, 02:43 PM
OK that did nothing, still from the TV and nothing from the headset. I have the volume at 10, the mic is unmuted, and I have the "play through headset" thing checked (instead of "play through TV" or "play through both"). It was already setup like that when I went into it. Could it just be the game is like that, or maybe I have a screwed up headset? It's really starting to piss me off now. I'm getting really into the game and made a clan so I wanna be able to communicate during matches. I don't wanna blast my volume to hear voices through the TV because then the explosions will just be louder, but the headset isn't sending voices through, I see that someone is talking and I either don't hear it or barely hear it through the TV, the headset is dead silent except for the occasional static crackle when the plug part hits my leg or something.

Phin-o-rama
03-13-2007, 03:51 PM
hmmm, i wonder if that individual game has settings?

can people hear you?

i really don't know man....if its been in the package for 1 year till just recently its hard to believe its broke...i mean they aren't great quality but mines held up well.

Dubfire
03-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Agent, I'm having the same exact issue playing Tiger online. Howeverm when I play Gears I can hear people through the headset. It's pretty annoying . Im inclined to think it's game specific.

UltraDol-Fan
03-14-2007, 10:01 AM
could be game specific or could be a messed up headset. I've known some guys who have gone through 3 or 4. Just go out and buy the wireless blue-tooth one :D

Agent51
03-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Agent, I'm having the same exact issue playing Tiger online. Howeverm when I play Gears I can hear people through the headset. It's pretty annoying . Im inclined to think it's game specific.

Man that would be crappy if it were game-specific. Now way should a game that has tons of explosions and gunfire force you to hear other people's voices through the speaker too, it's just dumb. The action drowns out the voices everytime.

Phin-o-rama
03-14-2007, 02:59 PM
that makes no sense

Agent51
03-14-2007, 03:45 PM
that makes no sense

My post or the fact that you have to listen to voices through the speakers instead of the headset?

As far as in-game settings, there aren't any. The only ones I found were "use army language" and "mute microphone", nothing about where you want player chat to be sent.

Phin-o-rama
03-14-2007, 03:46 PM
i just don't know what to tell you...never experienced it...but dunno

try a new headset? borrow a friends or buy one, swap urs out with it and return it

:P

Dubfire
03-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, my friend who I play Tiger with alot, has the same issue. I dont get it. It would be one hell of a coincidence for both headsets to have the same defect.

I dont mind hearing him through the TV speakers - but it's annoying to wear the thing if all I'm wearing it for is to talk.

Agent51
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
i just don't know what to tell you...never experienced it...but dunno

try a new headset? borrow a friends or buy one, swap urs out with it and return it

:P

Oh I definately will get a new one, I just wanted to know if anyone else knew if it was the actual game setting or my headset before I went out and bought a new one just to find out it's the game itself that is like that. I guess there aren't any other Battlefield 2 players here though, lol.

K-BayFinFan
03-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Shouldn't other people's voices play through my headset instead of my tv/surround sound? I ask because I've been addicted to Battlefield 2: Modern Combat recently and I just now, for the first time ever, opened my headset (yes, the one that came with the system, it's been sitting in the orange plastic bag, still sealed, for about a year now, lol) to try it out. I usually play with the volume muted or way down and some music on, but I decided I might as well try out the headset and see what my teammates are saying (I always see the little mic icon pop up but never knew what the were saying, lol). Well, I heard NOTHING through my headset (yes, it was unmuted and the volume was all the way up) and peoples voices were coming through my surround sound. That is HIGHLY annoying IMO. Is there a setting to change it or something? I think one time I heard a voice through the headset, and it was pretty loud and clear, but the rest were through the surround sound and barely audible over the explosions. I don't wanna turn the TV volume up because the explosions are already super loud. I just assumed if you use a headset other people's voices play through it, like when I played my friends in Madden on PS2, their voices came through the headset and not the TV. Could it be that I got a faulty headset? The jack WAS bent when I took it out (I found it at the bottom of a junk drawer) but it bent right back into place. I just wanna know if the voices are SUPPOSED to play through the TV or if they are supposed to go through the headset and mine is just broken? It's REALLY dumb if you have to listen through the TV even though you have a headset. Forgive me for the noob question too, lol, but I NEVER online game, outside of Madden, which is the only other time I have ever used a headset online (and it was PS2 like a year ago, not the 360). I DID use my headset with SOCOM/SOCOM II and the voices played through it, so what gives with the 360/BF2?

while logged on to xbox live, go into your personal settings then go to "voice". you should have options to hear voices through headset only, tv speakers only, both or mute. hope this helps you out.:wink:

Agent51
03-15-2007, 01:43 PM
while logged on to xbox live, go into your personal settings then go to "voice". you should have options to hear voices through headset only, tv speakers only, both or mute. hope this helps you out.:wink:

did that, and it didn't work. The setting was already set to headset only anyway, but I tried switching it then switching it back, just to see if that worked, but nope. I have the volume on 10, the mic un-muted, and the headset only option checked in that screen, and yet I still get the voices through the surround sound instead. I have given up and gone back to keeping it on mute when I play and listening to music :lol: