PDA

View Full Version : New 360 in April for $479

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Should nab alot of those on the fence between the 360 and ps3

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/hdmi-enabled-black-xbox-360-in-late-april-for-479/

Uh, it's black
HDMI port and HDMI cable (oh, you bullies!)
120GB hard drive (but you told us 20GB was more than enough!)
A $479 price tag (ouch!)
No HD-DVD integration (yup), the "format's not proven" (pssst, and it's being outsold)
The 120GB hard drive will be available for under $200 (uh, we certainly hope so!)
It's coming in "late April"
Our questions:

Where the hell is the built-in WiFi? Seriously. Our DS Lite has it built-in for $30 more than the 360's adapter!
Will this be a third SKU, or will they finally pull the Core?
Will the Zephyr release come coupled with price-drops for the other SKUs?
Does this model have the desirable, albeit delayed, 65nm chips?
How pissed off will early adopters be?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/rumor-game-mag-validates-black-xbox-360-245472.php

I for one am not upset whatsoever, although I think a larger hard drive would be nice....I almost downloaded my first HD movie through xbox live this weekend....anyways...I personally am not interested in HDMI, my VGA/optical audio combo dominates anyways....

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 12:16 PM
oh let me add, it could very well be an april fools joke...so ...yeah

Motion
03-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I hope a price drop for the current premium model is on the way as well.

Dolfan5000
03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I wonder when the different size HDs will be released for PS3s. I have the 60 GB model and that's nice and all but after about 4000 songs and such I'd like to have more space.

200 GB maybe

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I wonder when the different size HDs will be released for PS3s. I have the 60 GB model and that's nice and all but after about 4000 songs and such I'd like to have more space.

200 GB maybe

dude

you can install your own...just buy any 2.5" HD from www.newegg.com and put it in yourself.

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
google it....the manual supposedly has step by step instructions on how to do it.

Agent51
03-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Should nab alot of those on the fence between the 360 and ps3

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/20/hdmi-enabled-black-xbox-360-in-late-april-for-479/

Uh, it's black
HDMI port and HDMI cable (oh, you bullies!)
120GB hard drive (but you told us 20GB was more than enough!)
A $479 price tag (ouch!)
No HD-DVD integration (yup), the "format's not proven" (pssst, and it's being outsold)
The 120GB hard drive will be available for under $200 (uh, we certainly hope so!)
It's coming in "late April"
Our questions:

Where the hell is the built-in WiFi? Seriously. Our DS Lite has it built-in for $30 more than the 360's adapter!
Will this be a third SKU, or will they finally pull the Core?
Will the Zephyr release come coupled with price-drops for the other SKUs?
Does this model have the desirable, albeit delayed, 65nm chips?
How pissed off will early adopters be?

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/rumor-game-mag-validates-black-xbox-360-245472.php

I for one am not upset whatsoever, although I think a larger hard drive would be nice....I almost downloaded my first HD movie through xbox live this weekend....anyways...I personally am not interested in HDMI, my VGA/optical audio combo dominates anyways....

I'm an "early adopter" and I'm pretty pissed. My 2 biggest complaints from day 1 were the small HD (I tend to keep demos on there and mine is CONSTANTLY full, preventing me from keeping music/movies/etc on it) and lack of HDMI. Regardless of the HDMI vs Component debate, I prefer HDMI for the sole fact that it is one cable compared to 5, it looks a lot neater and cleaner than a jumble of wires, and it takes up less space.

I will end up just buying a new 120GB HD instead of this system for 2 reasons. The first being I KNEW MS would pull something like this (I've been saying it since the 360 vs PS3 debates have been going on here) before the rumor even started, and there is no way I am going to give them another $500 for a system that has the things that should have been included from day one. It seems to me that they only did this to compete with the PS3s specs, to try and sway MORE people on the fence to their side of the market. The second reason is, the black looks DISGUSTING. I have grown to like the white console, a lot. I think the styling is pretty cool and way better looking than the original XBox. The black worked for the first one, and it works for Playstations, but it looks STUPID on a 360.

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm an "early adopter" and I'm pretty pissed. My 2 biggest complaints from day 1 were the small HD (I tend to keep demos on there and mine is CONSTANTLY full, preventing me from keeping music/movies/etc on it) and lack of HDMI. Regardless of the HDMI vs Component debate, I prefer HDMI for the sole fact that it is one cable compared to 5, it looks a lot neater and cleaner than a jumble of wires, and it takes up less space.

I will end up just buying a new 120GB HD instead of this system for 2 reasons. The first being I KNEW MS would pull something like this (I've been saying it since the 360 vs PS3 debates have been going on here) before the rumor even started, and there is no way I am going to give them another $500 for a system that has the things that should have been included from day one. It seems to me that they only did this to compete with the PS3s specs, to try and sway MORE people on the fence to their side of the market. The second reason is, the black looks DISGUSTING. I have grown to like the white console, a lot. I think the styling is pretty cool and way better looking than the original XBox. The black worked for the first one, and it works for Playstations, but it looks STUPID on a 360.

why would you buy the new one? there is no difference except for the HD size, which you can upgrade seperately....the hdmi debate is old, i could care less about cables because i run a 5.1 dolby digital surround sound system and me personally could care less....if it made the graphics better, or something then i could see the need...but it doesn't.

and wtf ...the black looks stupid on a 360 because you are used to seeing it white, and also you are judging it from one picture scanned from a magazine that may not even exist and totally be an april fools joke. its funny, you are the most 360 hating 360 owner in the history of gaming i think.

i think you need a hug :bighug:

Agent51
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
why would you buy the new one? there is no difference except for the HD size, which you can upgrade seperately....the hdmi debate is old, i could care less about cables because i run a 5.1 dolby digital surround sound system and me personally could care less....if it made the graphics better, or something then i could see the need...but it doesn't.

and wtf ...the black looks stupid on a 360 because you are used to seeing it white, and also you are judging it from one picture scanned from a magazine that may not even exist and totally be an april fools joke. its funny, you are the most 360 hating 360 owner in the history of gaming i think.

i think you need a hug :bighug:

No, I'm the most MS-hating 360 owner, I love the actual console. My hating MS isn't funny, you, and others, defending them is whats funny. Tell me one GOOD reason for them *possibly* releasing this version of the 360? There isn't one, they are just releasing it because they want to compete with the PS3's specs, which is ridiculous. It should've been released this way at launch, not AFTER the PS3 comes out and you see what it has so you make a 3rd version (really a 2nd because the core is useless) to compete. I've been pissed at them since the 360 launch basically, because the core system was a money grubbing joke of a console, since you still had to spend another $100-something to even make it playable, so wtf was the point?

Again, the 360 is great, Microsofts business decisions are the joke and what piss me off.

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 02:28 PM
1- you didn't have to spend 100 to make the core playable, it was a cheap option to let people get into 360 gaming, and allow them to upgrade over time.

2- hardware revisions happen, period. anytime you buy a product...especially electronics, you take that chance. they are doing just fine in their competition with sony, and have guaranteed themselves AT LEAST 2nd place this generation...it is theirs to lose.

3- why should they have included hdmi? most people not only don't have hdmi capable tv's, and alot of those don't even know what it is. It isn't needed for hd gaming....period.

4- M$'s business decisions have been phenomenal this round. They keep bringing exclusive after exclusive, enable 1080p gaming, are about to announce IPTV, and high quality peripherals..(i think their gamepad is the best ever made)....

Also, its funny that I and others 'defend' them, but it's not funny that you trash them?

Show M$ your displeasure with your wallet. Thats the only way to get your point across, don't buy games/systems.

Microsofts business decisions are what made the 360 great. You think Sony is doing everything perfectly? They are a hell of alot easier to shred than microsoft right now.

PhinzN703
03-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd like for the 360s out now to drop so I can buy another one. That is all :cooldude:

Phin-o-rama
03-20-2007, 03:46 PM
for the record i think it looks hot (if this is real, if its not april fools joke)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

theghost
03-20-2007, 03:50 PM
for the record i think it looks hot (if this is real, if its not april fools joke)

http://64.111.216.60//ul/2455-2411-black-xbox-360.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, though the color of my system doesn't really matter........unless it was pink.

UltraDol-Fan
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
It's real, I was in Game Stop today and it is in April's issue of Game Informer magazine (out now)

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't see the value in this version of the 360, not at almost $500! I think the black is very cool looking, but if all the 360s were black? I'd want a white one like I have now. :D

The larger HD is needed for those that want to download a ton of games, demos and TV shows/movies from Xbox Live.

I was REALLY hoping that MS would drop the Core system and make the 360 with the 20GB HD the new "basic" system at $299 and have this black beast as the new "premium" at $399.

Of course, an April Fools joke is always possible too...

FinsNCanes
03-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Guess I should've waited..:lol:

I actually don't really care. Black just makes dust more noticeable.

VanDolPhan
03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
No, I'm the most MS-hating 360 owner, I love the actual console. My hating MS isn't funny, you, and others, defending them is whats funny. Tell me one GOOD reason for them *possibly* releasing this version of the 360? There isn't one, they are just releasing it because they want to compete with the PS3's specs, which is ridiculous. It should've been released this way at launch, not AFTER the PS3 comes out and you see what it has so you make a 3rd version (really a 2nd because the core is useless) to compete. I've been pissed at them since the 360 launch basically, because the core system was a money grubbing joke of a console, since you still had to spend another $100-something to even make it playable, so wtf was the point?

Again, the 360 is great, Microsofts business decisions are the joke and what piss me off.

You need a hug. Anyone 'pissed off' by such really needs to reevaluate life. This has gone on since the beginning of consoles. Hell I remember the TurboGrafx 16 having like 11 models and at one point quadrupling the RAM inside. It's like being pissed the computer you bought 6 months ago is already obsolete or the car you bought last year just added their yearly list of 15 new features to the car at the same price.

UltraDol-Fan
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I was pissed when I got the GameBoy Color when it only came in purple...

Enforcerfin33
03-21-2007, 09:57 AM
I want a 360 still..but I just cant see spending that kind of money.

Dubfire
03-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I want a 360 still..but I just cant see spending that kind of money.

Use Jedi mind tricks like I did with the Mrs. She got tired of hearing talk about how bad I wanted one and went and got it for me.:chuckle:

Enforcerfin33
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Use Jedi mind tricks like I did with the Mrs. She got tired of hearing talk about how bad I wanted one and went and got it for me.:chuckle:
Mines powerful in the ways of the darkside....they dont work on her.:D

Agent51
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
1- you didn't have to spend 100 to make the core playable, it was a cheap option to let people get into 360 gaming, and allow them to upgrade over time.

2- hardware revisions happen, period. anytime you buy a product...especially electronics, you take that chance. they are doing just fine in their competition with sony, and have guaranteed themselves AT LEAST 2nd place this generation...it is theirs to lose.

3- why should they have included hdmi? most people not only don't have hdmi capable tv's, and alot of those don't even know what it is. It isn't needed for hd gaming....period.

4- M$'s business decisions have been phenomenal this round. They keep bringing exclusive after exclusive, enable 1080p gaming, are about to announce IPTV, and high quality peripherals..(i think their gamepad is the best ever made)....

Also, its funny that I and others 'defend' them, but it's not funny that you trash them?

Show M$ your displeasure with your wallet. Thats the only way to get your point across, don't buy games/systems.

Microsofts business decisions are what made the 360 great. You think Sony is doing everything perfectly? They are a hell of alot easier to shred than microsoft right now.

1: YES, you DO. You need a memory unti to be able to save, that's $40, and you need a game since you don't have a HD to save demos to, that's $60, that equals $100. With the premium system you could get away with not buying a game right away and just DL all the demos they had to offer until you decided which you liked best to purchase, not with the core, you HAD to buy the game right away or you had nothing more than a $300 paperweight. Also, it wasn't backwards compatible because that was stored on the HD. So yes, $60 for a game plus $40 to save said game, and that is $100, nevermind if you wanted a wireless controller, which was another $50.

2: Hardware revisions aren't supposed to happen with consoles, aside from a DLable patch or something, that is the appeal of them. It is supposed to be something you buy that you know will play every game released from launch to console death without needing graphic card upgrades or more RAM etc etc. How often do you see and ENTIRE console redone? The last I can rememner is the PS2's slim version, and that was the same console in a different casing and with the network adapter built-in. This 360 is rumored to have HDMI support, a bigger HD, and a new chipset that is "highly desireable". This isn't a revision, it's more like a re-issue, or a 3rd console. What SHOULD have been done is the premium system should have been the core system, and the "zypher" or whatever the code name is should have been the premium system. Then it would be comparable to Sony's launch, where BOTH systems are playable right out of the box and you have access to all features right away without needed extra purchases (aside from the HDMI cable, which was dumb on their part).

3: For the millionth time, they should have included it as an alternate hookup option so people don't have to go buy one of those adapter boxes if they run out of component slots on their TV. Also because HDMI is becoming an industry standard and 99.9% of TV that come out today have at least one slot. Meaning every 360 owner who doesn't already have an HDTV will end up having one that supports HDMI when they finally give in and buy one. They obviously feel a need for it since the new version is going to have it, so why couldn't they have just included it from the get-go? I'm not saying HDMI is better than component, or vice-versa, but you keep turning it into that every single time this comes up. I also never said you NEED HDMI for HD gaming. All I am saying is it would have been nice to include it from the launch for convienience and for the consumer to choose how he wants his system setup.

4: I never bashed MS for their 1080p decision or their signing away exclusives, the problem I have with them is when it comes to the 360 itself and the money-grubbing decisions they have made with it. One being the core system, another being releasing a 3rd version a year and a half later that is oddly similar to the PS3 spec-wise, and ye another being the release of after-launch periphials like a memory card reader and an HD-DVD drive which were never even mentioned until the PS3 specs came out. Also, the denying for an entire year that the "red ring of death" problem even existed, then their solution was to fix everyones console that was made after a certain date, which screwed most of the people that had the problem. It just seems like they rushed the console out to beat Sony so they'd get the leg-up in the stupid console war and then when the PS3 was finalyl launched they saw how much more it had included so they rushed to make a bunch of add-ons to make the system equal to the PS3 instead of just letting them be as 2 different systems.

It's only "funny" when people defend MS that do it just for the sake of arguement. If someone provides nice facts as to their MS ddefense then it's fine, it is a friendly debate, but it's highly annoying when someone praises MS to high hell everytime the PS3 is mentioned or their MS defense is "HDMI SUCKS". I'm not "trashing" MS, I am voicing my displeasure. I don't go around writing "MS sucks, Sony rules" etc, I write the facts as to why I dislike the MS company.

I also don't think Sony is perfect, and the only time I have really defended them is when talking about the PS3 having more value for the price than the 360. Other than that there are tons of things I don't agree with Sony on, from the small stuff like no HDMI cable in the box to bigger stuff like allowing exclusives to be signed away or the decision to take out rumble and add gimmicky motion to teh controller. All that being said though, Sony is LOSING money on every PS3 put out just to allow consumers to have a superior gaming system while MS is doing everything in their power to keep milking money out of their 360 owners all while not even acknowledging, or taking the right steps to fix, a major problem with their console (the 3 red lights).

Agent51
03-21-2007, 01:58 PM
You need a hug. Anyone 'pissed off' by such really needs to reevaluate life. This has gone on since the beginning of consoles. Hell I remember the TurboGrafx 16 having like 11 models and at one point quadrupling the RAM inside. It's like being pissed the computer you bought 6 months ago is already obsolete or the car you bought last year just added their yearly list of 15 new features to the car at the same price.

It was a figure of speach, I'm not sitting around my house in a rage because MS is releasing a new 360 :lol:. Video games aren't even a big part of my time, I barely have any time to play them. I am just annoyed that the features I wanted on a 360 all along are now coming out in a 3rd version a year and a half later. I didn't think they were going to release an HDMI + bigger HD version at all, since there was ZERO talk of it, so I went ahead and just bought the premium system last march (or may, one of the M months) but if I had known this version was going to be released in the near future I would have just waited, since I don't get much playtime as it is anyway.

It's also NOT like the PC thing, because with a computer you know that pretty much as soon as you buy it something new and better comes out, but the main appeal of consoles is NOT having to worry about that.

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 02:08 PM
1: YES, you DO. You need a memory unti to be able to save, that's $40, and you need a game since you don't have a HD to save demos to, that's $60, that equals $100. With the premium system you could get away with not buying a game right away and just DL all the demos they had to offer until you decided which you liked best to purchase, not with the core, you HAD to buy the game right away or you had nothing more than a $300 paperweight. Also, it wasn't backwards compatible because that was stored on the HD. So yes, $60 for a game plus $40 to save said game, and that is $100, nevermind if you wanted a wireless controller, which was another $50.

Hardware revisions aren't supposed to happen with consoles, aside from a DLable patch or something, that is the appeal of them. It is supposed to be something you buy that you know will play every game released from launch to console death without needing graphic card upgrades or more RAM etc etc. How often do you see and ENTIRE console redone? The last I can rememner is the PS2's slim version, and that was the same console in a different casing and with the network adapter built-in. This 360 is rumored to have HDMI support, a bigger HD, and a new chipset that is "highly desireable". This isn't a revision, it's more like a re-issue, or a 3rd console. What SHOULD have been done is the premium system should have been the core system, and the "zypher" or whatever the code name is should have been the premium system. Then it would be comparable to Sony's launch, where BOTH systems are playable right out of the box and you have access to all features right away without needed extra purchases (aside from the HDMI cable, which was dumb on their part).

3: For the millionth time, they should have included it as an alternate hookup option so people don't have to go buy one of those adapter boxes if they run out of component slots on their TV. Also because HDMI is becoming an industry standard and 99.9% of TV that come out today have at least one slot. Meaning every 360 owner who doesn't already have an HDTV will end up having one that supports HDMI when they finally give in and buy one. They obviously feel a need for it since the new version is going to have it, so why couldn't they have just included it from the get-go? I'm not saying HDMI is better than component, or vice-versa, but you keep turning it into that every single time this comes up. I also never said you NEED HDMI for HD gaming. All I am saying is it would have been nice to include it from the launch for convienience and for the consumer to choose how he wants his system setup.

4: I never bashed MS for their 1080p decision or their signing away exclusives, the problem I have with them is when it comes to the 360 itself and the money-grubbing decisions they have made with it. One being the core system, another being releasing a 3rd version a year and a half later that is oddly similar to the PS3 spec-wise, and ye another being the release of after-launch periphials like a memory card reader and an HD-DVD drive which were never even mentioned until the PS3 specs came out. Also, the denying for an entire year that the "red ring of death" problem even existed, then their solution was to fix everyones console that was made after a certain date, which screwed most of the people that had the problem. It just seems like they rushed the console out to beat Sony so they'd get the leg-up in the stupid console war and then when the PS3 was finalyl launched they saw how much more it had included so they rushed to make a bunch of add-ons to make the system equal to the PS3 instead of just letting them be as 2 different systems.

It's only "funny" when people defend MS that do it just for the sake of arguement. If someone provides nice facts as to their MS ddefense then it's fine, it is a friendly debate, but it's highly annoying when someone praises MS to high hell everytime the PS3 is mentioned or their MS defense is "HDMI SUCKS". I'm not "trashing" MS, I am voicing my displeasure. I don't go around writing "MS sucks, Sony rules" etc, I write the facts as to why I dislike the MS company.

I also don't think Sony is perfect, and the only time I have really defended them is when talking about the PS3 having more value for the price than the 360. Other than that there are tons of things I don't agree with Sony on, from the small stuff like no HDMI cable in the box to bigger stuff like allowing exclusives to be signed away or the decision to take out rumble and add gimmicky motion to teh controller. All that being said though, Sony is LOSING money on every PS3 put out just to allow consumers to have a superior gaming system while MS is doing everything in their power to keep milking money out of their 360 owners all while not even acknowledging, or taking the right steps to fix, a major problem with their console (the 3 red lights).

rent games, you don't have to save....people played ps2 alot w/o memory units....i wouldn't...but you COULD...i would never recomend anyone to buy the core...but they could if they wanted to..

hardware revisions happen all the time, 14 to the ps2 infact...i had a launch ps2 and it played every game throughout its 6 year lifespan ....the 360 i own now, will play 360 games released 4 years from now....i don't see your point. you don't NEED hdmi to play any games...you don't NEED the 120g to play games...plus you can buy it extra. the new chipset will probably make zero difference to the gamer, and is desirable by microsoft because its cheaper to make, thus making them more money from each console. Will you really sit there playing metal gear solid 4 on your black 360 and think ...man this new processor ROCKS...even though the outcome is the exact same?

maybe the money M$ is 'milking' out of the customers go towards the fund that is pulling exclusives away from the competition to bring more games to the 360?

is it smart business to lose money on every console you sell, when you don't even have any damn games to make up the losses? this isn't a charity event...

VanDolPhan
03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
It was a figure of speach, I'm not sitting around my house in a rage because MS is releasing a new 360 :lol:. Video games aren't even a big part of my time, I barely have any time to play them. I am just annoyed that the features I wanted on a 360 all along are now coming out in a 3rd version a year and a half later. I didn't think they were going to release an HDMI + bigger HD version at all, since there was ZERO talk of it, so I went ahead and just bought the premium system last march (or may, one of the M months) but if I had known this version was going to be released in the near future I would have just waited, since I don't get much playtime as it is anyway.

It's also NOT like the PC thing, because with a computer you know that pretty much as soon as you buy it something new and better comes out, but the main appeal of consoles is NOT having to worry about that.

Should honestly get used to it. Every console has such. Just with the internet in full blown mode now every detail gets over analyzed compared to even 10 years ago such a system would come out and not even make a noise. In fact I don't see this new version really selling except to guys with more money then brains who want a huge harddrive. Other then that the harddrive will be an optional addon (that's if this rumor is even true ;p).

I'm just not sure why Microsoft takes the brunt of it especially when the PS3 has been out for barely months and they are DOWNGRADING hardware (removing the hardware emulation for software) which is a MUCH bigger issue.

PS2 did this several times to I believe. Progressive scan dvd, faster progressive scan dvd, network port and then making it smaller is just some of the stuff I recall.