PDA

View Full Version : Rumor Mill - Microsoft Eyeballing the Crap out of Take Two Interactive

mor911
03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
http://xbox360.qj.net/BIG-FAT-RUMOR-Microsoft-eyeing-Take-Two-like-a-hawk-eyes-a-mouse-/pg/49/aid/86825

This one comes from WorthPlaying, and because they say it's an insider in Rockstar Vancouver, it will be difficult to confirm this story through official sources, at least until those official sources (Microsoft (http://xbox360.qj.net/tags/microsoft/94), Take-Two Interactive (http://xbox360.qj.net/tags/take-two-interactive/5085)) decide to publicly speak up about it.

Of course, the rumor is entirely plausible. While the official PR is that the company is considering other options to present to shareholders, including a sale of the company (http://www.qj.net/Take-Two-Interactive-considers-selling-company/pg/49/aid/86663), conspiracy theorists on Wall Street can easily spin stories of backroom dealings, but that's for the SEC and the government to worry about. At the same time, gaming (http://xbox360.qj.net/BIG-FAT-RUMOR-Microsoft-eyeing-Take-Two-like-a-hawk-eyes-a-mouse-/pg/49/aid/86825#) industry analysts and Xbox fanboys both agree: being able to acquire the Grand Theft Auto (http://xbox360.qj.net/BIG-FAT-RUMOR-Microsoft-eyeing-Take-Two-like-a-hawk-eyes-a-mouse-/pg/49/aid/86825#) franchise would be a gold mine for Microsoft.

Definitely a Bill Gates-type move.

Motion
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Thats not a good sign. Sony has to be sweating bullets right now.

Dubfire
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
These console wars can and will get pretty nasty. :yes:

Dubfire
03-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Damn Mor, you beat GoW 2 already?

Just realized...geez

mor911
03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Damn Mor, you beat GoW 2 already?

Just realized...geezI got GoW2 on Friday.. Went on a GoW binge... Only stopped because of work and silly girlfriend.

Dubfire
03-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I got GoW2 on Friday.. Went on a GoW binge... Only stopped because of work and silly girlfriend.

(((Must steal back PS2 from silly girlfriend myself)))

Damn how am I going to explain this one? She loves Guitar Hero 2 on that thing and aint no way in hell she's borrowing my 360!!:lol:

Mike13
03-20-2007, 11:15 PM
That would be a hell of a blow to Sony.

Medieval954
03-21-2007, 12:10 AM
If true, obviously all Microsoft wants is Rockstar Games. They'd sell off the rest of Take-Two. But hopefully they'd keep Visual Concepts since I'm sure EA would love to swoop in, buy them out and kill off the 2KSports series. :mad:

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-21-2007, 01:48 AM
The lesser of two evils would be MS getting Take Two. The thought of EA being the ONLY developer/publisher of sports games is... :(

GTA being exclusive to the 360 would be HUGE for many gamers, but I just want 2K Sports to be kept intact, and even given a bigger budget to develop the 2K sports games.

Talk of selling the company is probably just posturing in the power struggle between shareholders and the CEO. We'll see...

Dolfan5000
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
dude this is lame
i try not to hate microsoft but look at the kind of bs they do

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 09:38 AM
what? deliver pwnage? lol jk

Dolfan5000
03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
what? deliver pwnage? lol jk
lame dude
this really urks me
the freakin GTA series rose from the ashes on a SONY console and was considered one of the best games all time but now... lameness

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
it's the world of business...sony isn't in control anymore....

don't jump!!!

Dolfan5000
03-21-2007, 10:06 AM
it's the world of business...sony isn't in control anymore....

don't jump!!!
i know they aren't but they seem to just sitting by idly letting this happen
glad PS3 launches in Europe Friday... maybe that'll bring some good news on the Sony front

tired of all this crap

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
bah, sony will fight back don't worry.....they will drop the price sometime this year. 360 is doing alot of things right, but i think in a year ps3 will be lookin really good....i mean it looks good now, but just blu ray alone succeeding and beating out hd-dvd pretty much guarantees sony surging back....hell i know i will be buying a ps3 next year even if its ONLY for the blu ray player....600 is a bargain for that alone.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
i know they aren't but they seem to just sitting by idly letting this happen
glad PS3 launches in Europe Friday... maybe that'll bring some good news on the Sony front

tired of all this crap

Well, don't be shocked if MGS4 and FF13 find their way to the 360. It's even money that happens at this point.

Blame Sony. They've sat around thinking just having the "Sony" name would be enough to win yet another console generation. They didn't bother to court developers to keep games like DMC exclusive.

The Sony wounds are self-inflicted...

Motion
03-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, don't be shocked if MGS4 and FF13 find their way to the 360. It's even money that happens at this point.

Blame Sony. They've sat around thinking just having the "Sony" name would be enough to win yet another console generation. They didn't bother to court developers to keep games like DMC exclusive.

The Sony wounds are self-inflicted...

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened eventually, but I'd be shocked if they both launched cross platform.

mor911
03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
I could see MGS being a 360 game... Not FF13 so much... I've never seen Square-Enix move a game cross-platform.

Scatman
03-21-2007, 10:44 AM
man that would be crazy for m$, theres no reason to hate them, there just smart and take advatage of opportunities. if they buy TT just for keeping GTA out of the ps3 and a 360 only, i just give them more props for not standing with their tail between their legs. sony had this chance and they let it go, so dont balme m$.
although, it'd be cool if it was available for both - clinching gta is big thing for the mass mainstream gamer market.

Scatman
03-21-2007, 10:46 AM
ohh and devil may cry 4. i guarantee you the metal gear will be, even if its a few moths after, it will release.

im just glad sony at least showed "home" and littlebigplanet, if they didnt the last couple news things woulda hit them very hard.

Mike13
03-21-2007, 11:42 AM

I doubt the Final Fantasy series would move.

Dolfan5000
03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I could see MGS being a 360 game... Not FF13 so much... I've never seen Square-Enix move a game cross-platform.
Yeah FF13 will be PS3 only. That's cool but I like the MGS series a lot more these days and I want to have one of my favorite games an exclusive but like Mor said I believe MGS will eventually be a 360 title too. PS3 launch first and then a couple months later on 360.

Dolfan5000
03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
And if this did happen and Microsoft bought out Take Two this wouldn't mean that GTAIV would become an exclusive but later GTAs would, correct?

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
just an article based on rumors

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158126

Capcom made their intentions clear from the outset with Resident Evil 5. They may have taken a gamble with Nintendo on the last outing, but they won't risk the marbles this time -- the next sequel will arrive on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 simultaneously. Dead Rising and Lost Planet were experiments to see what kind of success they could muster by sinking some time and money into Xbox 360 (more with the latter, given its intense marketing push) and it's proven a successful formula.

Not that they've been explicitly public about the matter, either. Even in January, rumors started circulating that DMC4 had left the exclusivity camp, but Capcom stuck to their guns, telling Kotaku:

"Capcom does not comment on rumors. Devil May Cry 4 is exclusive to PS3. No other announcements have been made."

Yet, that's exactly what happened last night. Microsoft is clearly pleased, but how indicative is this of future third-party attitudes towards support aligned with Xbox 360 and PS3? Other rumors have suggested Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is just waiting to be ported, and while Konami's remained silent, so did Namco Bandai and Capcom -- originally. Boris Schneider-Johne, Xbox product manager at Microsoft Germany, pasted the this check list on his blog in response to the news:

1. Devil May Cry
2. Final Fantasy
3. Metal Gear Solid

Schneider-Johne quickly claimed it was only a wish list and not representative of franchises Microsoft is actively pursuing. That would, of course, be a lie -- they would kill for them. The question's whether Konami and Square Enix are already taking that next step. In the next year, we'll find out -- but try to hide your surprise.

Agent51
03-21-2007, 01:07 PM
bah, sony will fight back don't worry.....they will drop the price sometime this year. 360 is doing alot of things right, but i think in a year ps3 will be lookin really good....i mean it looks good now, but just blu ray alone succeeding and beating out hd-dvd pretty much guarantees sony surging back....hell i know i will be buying a ps3 next year even if its ONLY for the blu ray player....600 is a bargain for that alone.

:lol:, dude, thats funny, because everytime I was defending Sony for the blu-ray being included and being a bargain at that price you bashed it and said it's dumb, they are FORCING you to adopt blu-ray, $600 is too much for a game system, blah blah blah. And I kept sayiong people bash Sony for it now, but as soon as Blu-Ray wins everyone will think Sony is a genius. Now look, you are NOW claiming $600 for a PS3 is CHEAP just for the fact that it includes a $1,000 DVD player, which is what I was saying all along yet you started huge arguements over. Like I said, people bash whatever is cool to bash on the internet at the time, then when it's not as cool to hate it anymore everyone loves it. Case in point right here. You know the PS3 uses your hated HDMI right? :rolleyes2

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
i ate my crow a while back about blue ray....i still think they took a huge chance by going with an unproven format and yes, forcing people to buy it...

also i was trying to make dolfan5000 feel better because he was getting pissed...

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 01:43 PM
oh and I don't hate hdmi....it's just not needed....i run hdmi from my hd directv receiver right now, with digital coaxial audio to my receiver...which completely defeats the purpose of audio and video in the same cable (for me anyways).

as far as blue ray? right now, there is no doubt that it is ahead of hd-dvd. Does the ps3 need blu ray for larger storage for games? doubtfull, did they tout that as a major reason for including it? yep. i am a high definition freak. I love it, i love hd movies, and pay for hd service w/ directv....i get sunday ticket superfan just so i can get all those games in HD every sunday (also because every year they don't show 1 or 2 phins games in my area)....

I stated a while back, that i don't care who wins the format war, just end it....bluray? fine....hd-dvd? fine....but all the format war does is end up costing the consumers more money. Also, after the pshome was announced and I posted a video here on it, i stated that this was something extremely cool if they can pull it off, hopefully it doesn't become 'vaporware'
....I think the ps3's future is bright, but the 360 is bright NOW and has been for 1.5 years or w/e. Sony including the blu ray player helped support their agenda of promoting blu ray in the first place...using the ps3 as a tool to ensure the storage medium that won is the one that they stood to benefit the most from. Maybe they should have focused more on making games, and squaring away their game developers.

Agent51
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
oh and I don't hate hdmi....it's just not needed....i run hdmi from my hd directv receiver right now, with digital coaxial audio to my receiver...which completely defeats the purpose of audio and video in the same cable (for me anyways).

as far as blue ray? right now, there is no doubt that it is ahead of hd-dvd. Does the ps3 need blu ray for larger storage for games? doubtfull, did they tout that as a major reason for including it? yep. i am a high definition freak. I love it, i love hd movies, and pay for hd service w/ directv....i get sunday ticket superfan just so i can get all those games in HD every sunday (also because every year they don't show 1 or 2 phins games in my area)....

I stated a while back, that i don't care who wins the format war, just end it....bluray? fine....hd-dvd? fine....but all the format war does is end up costing the consumers more money. Also, after the pshome was announced and I posted a video here on it, i stated that this was something extremely cool if they can pull it off, hopefully it doesn't become 'vaporware'
....I think the ps3's future is bright, but the 360 is bright NOW and has been for 1.5 years or w/e. Sony including the blu ray player helped support their agenda of promoting blu ray in the first place...using the ps3 as a tool to ensure the storage medium that won is the one that they stood to benefit the most from. Maybe they should have focused more on making games, and squaring away their game developers.

See, THAT is the kind of response I have been waiting for from you :lol:.

It just seems like every single other post I make you try and be arguementative on teh fact, and it was frustrating the hell out of me. I wanted to just go off but I didn't because I don't have any personal problems with you and it's just a message board.

I agree with the loving HDTV thing. I HATE it when a show I wanna watch is on a non-HD channel (like SpikeTV or something).

I also don't care who wins, I just want them to pick one and go with it, because having two is ridiculous. I would say I PREFER Blu-Ray for the sole fact that it can hold more content, but either would be fine. I did see that hey have a new DVD player that plays BOTH formats, which is pretty cool.

Also, 360 is definately bright right now, and has been. I will admit it is a LOT better than I thought it would be, as I wasn't a fan of the XBox at all (I bought one at launch and returned it a week later because I hated it, then I rebought one a few years later when Halo 2 came out and hardly touched it after beating it), so I didn't have high expectations for the 360, but it was worlds above my initial reaction to it. I'm excited for the PS3's future but there just isn't anything about it right now that makes it good enough for me to go out and grab one. I don't have much gaming time as it is, and I originally planned to get the PS3 before the 360, but since having my 360 and the PS3 not having many games that interest me yet, I'm pretty content right now. I'll prolly grab one at the end of summer just to give it more time for games to be released and all that.

Phin-o-rama
03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
if you don't run your 360 in a hometheater with dolby digital you are missing out....i pretty much just got mine set up in my den on a little onkyo home theater in a box...and using the optical audio cable to the receiver? its freakin sick...it adds so much to the gaming experience, almost as much as going from playing on a standard definition tv to a high def one...

Agent51
03-21-2007, 02:56 PM
if you don't run your 360 in a hometheater with dolby digital you are missing out....i pretty much just got mine set up in my den on a little onkyo home theater in a box...and using the optical audio cable to the receiver? its freakin sick...it adds so much to the gaming experience, almost as much as going from playing on a standard definition tv to a high def one...

I've got mine running through my Pioneer surround sound system. Makes it WAY better than just through the TV speakers. That game Condemned: Criminal Origins? Scary as hell when I played it through the surround sound. I had like 12 mini heart attacks during it.

VanDolPhan
03-21-2007, 08:17 PM
i ate my crow a while back about blue ray....i still think they took a huge chance by going with an unproven format and yes, forcing people to buy it...

also i was trying to make dolfan5000 feel better because he was getting pissed...

Your going to waste your money if it's just for a Blu-Ray player. Your buying into the current Beta/VHS wars. There are already attempts to merge the formats and I'm betting by about 2009 the argument will be moot as players become 'multi format' thereby making the battle over but screwing early adopters who can't play all movies.

I don't know why anyone would buy a player that doesn't play all movies. Just stick with an HDMI up-converting DVD player for now and wait for the market to settle.