PDA

View Full Version : New Fox Sports Mock - Realistic?

Frayser
03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6588190

I happen to think this is pretty dead on . . . at least in the top 10. I know you Ginn Jr.-heads out there won't like him falling all the way to the Colts, and I must admit that the thought of that scares the hell out of me. Maybe we should take him just so the Colts don't.

But seriously, I think the Falcons won't get Landry because the Redskins are going to grab him now that Archuleta is finally in Chicago. Sean Taylor and Laron Landry just might turn out to the best duo of safeties in the league.

The author even admits that there is no way Peterson falls that far. So my hope in a scenario like this would be that, if Peterson were to fall to us, we trade down with Green Bay (screwing Buffalo over in the process which is always nice) and then take Darelle Revis. I seem to remember the University of Pittsburgh being kind to us in the draft before.

zach8111
03-21-2007, 08:25 PM

I happen to think this is pretty dead on . . . at least in the top 10. I know you Ginn Jr.-heads out there won't like him falling all the way to the Colts, and I must admit that the thought of that scares the hell out of me. Maybe we should take him just so the Colts don't.

But seriously, I think the Falcons won't get Landry because the Redskins are going to grab him now that Archuleta is finally in Chicago. Sean Taylor and Laron Landry just might turn out to the best duo of safeties in the league.

The author even admits that there is no way Peterson falls that far. So my hope in a scenario like this would be that, if Peterson were to fall to us, we trade down with Green Bay (screwing Buffalo over in the process which is always nice) and then take Darelle Revis. I seem to remember the University of Pittsburgh being kind to us in the draft before.

it cant be too acurate because falcons pick #8 and texans pick #10

Danny
03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
That's stupid....if we go DT at 9 it'd be Branch as Okoye doesn't really fit the NT that we're looking for when Traylor retires.

Ozzy rules!!

IluvJuMiami
03-21-2007, 08:41 PM

I think the mock is bad but Landry to Washington does make a lot of sense now.

Darrelle Revis? Everytime I hear a Dolfan suggest a first round defensive selection I cringe.

You got a top 5 ranked defense that just signed Joey Porter on one hand, a 20th ranked offense that's lost it's starting TE, it's most productive WR, most of it's OL depth and you guys still want to draft defense?

Either I don't know a thing about this game or those of you calling for defense don't.

I'm gonna back myself on this one.

Frayser
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
it cant be too acurate because falcons pick #8 and texans pick #10

Congratulations on pointing out that a trade was made today that I'm sure this guy was not aware of at the time he published this.

Frayser
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
That's stupid....if we go DT at 9 it'd be Branch as Okoye doesn't really fit the NT that we're looking for when Traylor retires.

Ozzy rules!!

Branch has been falling as his workouts have not been great and more and more rumors of him being lazy have circulated. It is possible that Okoye could grow into the NT position. He is only 19. I'm not defending the pick though. I don't think we should take either DT.

Frayser
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM

Darrelle Revis? Everytime I hear a Dolfan suggest a first round defensive selection I cringe.

You got a top 5 ranked defense that just signed Joey Porter on one hand, a 20th ranked offense that's lost it's starting TE, it's most productive WR, most of it's OL depth and you guys still want to draft defense?

Either I don't know a thing about this game or those of you calling for defense don't.

Trust me. I know plenty. You can't just look at last years rankings and make your draft selections. Our top three defensive players are all over 30. Our defensive line is unproven. And our secondary is mediocre at best. We can use some help on defense.

On offense, we are either going with Culpepper or Green to start. The top two QBs in the draft will likely be gone before we pick so that is out anyway. Chambers and Booker are still a decent pair of WRs, and we also have Hagan who was a 2nd round pick from last year. Not much we can do to upgrade RB. TE could probably use some more talent . . . so Greg Olsen might not be a bad idea. And I don't believe our offensive line is the catastrophe waiting to happen that some people do. I definitely think we should take two linemen in our first five or so picks, but I'm not sure there is anyone at 9 or even in the middle of round 1 that I am incredibly high on.

miamitd13
03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
If that is how it unfolds - I'd hope maybe we could entice a running back needy team to trade up with us for Peterson....

Sean
03-21-2007, 09:15 PM

GB won't get Mcetchem; they'll get Marshawn Lynch

Frayser
03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
If that is how it unfolds - I'd hope maybe we could entice a running back needy team to trade up with us for Peterson....

Like I said, it seems only natural that if that were to play out Green Bay would consider hopping ahead of Buffalo for him. Even if we give them a deal and just grab an extra pick or two, it might be worth it considering #9 is not looking like a great value slot for us.

IluvJuMiami
03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Trust me. I know plenty. You can't just look at last years rankings and make your draft selections. Our top three defensive players are all over 30. Our defensive line is unproven. And our secondary is mediocre at best. We can use some help on defense.

On offense, we are either going with Culpepper or Green to start. The top two QBs in the draft will likely be gone before we pick so that is out anyway. Chambers and Booker are still a decent pair of WRs, and we also have Hagan who was a 2nd round pick from last year. Not much we can do to upgrade RB. TE could probably use some more talent . . . so Greg Olsen might not be a bad idea. And I don't believe our offensive line is the catastrophe waiting to happen that some people do. I definitely think we should take two linemen in our first five or so picks, but I'm not sure there is anyone at 9 or even in the middle of round 1 that I am incredibly high on.

I understand that at 9 the value as far as rankings and mocks go are at defense, but we don't have to stay at 9.

Who sold you guys a bill of rights proclaiming that unless you get exactly what you want you can't move out of your draft spot?

If no one is offering to trade up then you might have to bite the bullet and take less in a trade, that's all. Or grow some testes and move up. Or whats more, take the guy you want value or not at that spot.

A trade down, even in a mediocre trade, would be better than that last option, but if no one wants to move up even cheap, take the guy you want/need.

IMO LaRon Landry has the same value on our defense that Greg Olsen or Ted Gin Jr would have on our offense. But LaRon Landry will be chosen way before any of those other guys.

Frayser
03-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I understand that at 9 the value as far as rankings and mocks go are at defense, but we don't have to stay at 9.

Who sold you guys a bill of rights proclaiming that unless you get exactly what you want you can't move out of your draft spot?

If no one is offering to trade up then you might have to bite the bullet and take less in a trade, that's all. Or grow some testes and move up. Or whats more, take the guy you want value or not at that spot.

A trade down, even in a mediocre trade, would be better than that last option, but if no one wants to move up even cheap, take the guy you want/need.

IMO LaRon Landry has the same value on our defense that Greg Olsen or Ted Gin Jr would have on our offense. But LaRon Landry will be chosen way before any of those other guys.

Believe me, I am right there with you. I have been saying for days now we should work out a trade even if we are giving the pick away. Throw out the value charts. If someone wants to toss us a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, lets do it. No sense in reaching when we can move back and add another first day pick. This draft is a bit light at the top but heavy from about picks 25-90 if you ask me.

And I would make one additional point with respect to our offense/defense debate. You can't change who you are. Since Marino left, we have been a power run/strong defense kind of team. That's why we wanted Ronnie, and that is why the defense has been given more attention than the offense. As great as our defense was though, when did it breakdown? We gave up too many big plays, and we were ineffective on blitzes (or sometimes a combination of both). Porter was brought in to change the latter. I think we need a top notch safety or corner to change the former. With those changes, we go from a Top 5 defense to the Top defense. We may not end up #1 on rankings, but we will be feared. And we will create more turnovers, score more defensive points, and give our offense much better field position.

I'm not saying we must pick defense. I'm just trying to give you a better idea of why I think it makes our team better. You also have to realize that the Pats just stocked their receiving corps.

fishypete
03-22-2007, 02:34 AM

I believe Green coming to Miami is about Zero....the Dolphins want him to play for Vet min....thats not going to happen....so either they go after Carr or a QB in the draft.

Dolphins | Team interested but wants Green to take pay cut
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:06:16 -0700
Greg A. Bedard, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins are very interested in Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) QB Trent Green (http://www.kffl.com/player/989/nfl), but they want Green to take a major pay cut from the $7.2, $7.7 and $9.2 million the 36-year-old veteran is due over the next three seasons, which are the final three years on his current contract. Miami doesn't want to pay Green, who will turn 37 in July, much more than the NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) veteran's minimum, which is $820,000 in 2007.

Roman529
03-22-2007, 02:39 AM

I don't see Patrick Willis going in the top 11 picks, and I don't see AP lasting until the 12th pick. I think Miami would have to grab AP if he is there when we pick...he will be the BPA....we could always trade him later if need be.

finfan54
03-22-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't see Patrick Willis going in the top 11 picks, and I don't see AP lasting until the 12th pick. I think Miami would have to grab AP if he is there when we pick...he will be the BPA....we could always trade him later if need be.

um, i could see it definitely. It happens all the time that someone catapults themselves up while others (branch slip downward in a big way). Willis is the best LB in this draft period.

IluvJuMiami
03-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Believe me, I am right there with you. I have been saying for days now we should work out a trade even if we are giving the pick away. Throw out the value charts. If someone wants to toss us a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, lets do it. No sense in reaching when we can move back and add another first day pick. This draft is a bit light at the top but heavy from about picks 25-90 if you ask me.

And I would make one additional point with respect to our offense/defense debate. You can't change who you are. Since Marino left, we have been a power run/strong defense kind of team. That's why we wanted Ronnie, and that is why the defense has been given more attention than the offense. As great as our defense was though, when did it breakdown? We gave up too many big plays, and we were ineffective on blitzes (or sometimes a combination of both). Porter was brought in to change the latter. I think we need a top notch safety or corner to change the former. With those changes, we go from a Top 5 defense to the Top defense. We may not end up #1 on rankings, but we will be feared. And we will create more turnovers, score more defensive points, and give our offense much better field position.

I'm not saying we must pick defense. I'm just trying to give you a better idea of why I think it makes our team better. You also have to realize that the Pats just stocked their receiving corps.

Wow. I end up questioning you and find out I see eye to eye with you on everything we've touched base on.:lol:

I couldn't agree with you more on all of it.

I was one of the posters begging Dolphin brass to go spend big money on Nate Clements. Ofcourse, that was before I knew he would cost 80 mill. We all knew the guy would get paid but 80 mill? Damn.

One shutdown corner and this defense would be stellar, not just great but greatest. Yet the early CBs in this draft don't excite me one bit. We already have a 5-11 guy who has lightning speed and he can't be a #1 corner.

I like my corners to be 6 ft or taller. I think it's a necessity with all the tall recievers coming out of college as of late. Take what the Jaguars were able to do to us last year for instance. It was embarrassing. Sure, short CBs can be successful. There's plenty of them around the league. But so can tall CBs and their size is a bonus.

Landry is going to be a ballhawk for some lucky team. And if we were to take Landry moving Allen to CB, I wouldn't exactly be livid.

But we have to find our offensive impact player in this draft. Have to.

We've said it every year for a while now but it's still true- JT and ZT aren't getting any younger. And while they're production is a solid as ever, we surely can't expect that to last for 3 more years.

We can make a serious run with a young team just as the Jets did. We just have to hit on offensive players in the draft, just as the Jets did.

Trading out of 9 is the key, up or down. If Brady Quinn or Joe Thomas is your man, go get him I say.

If not, take whatever you can get, move down and take a Ted Ginn Jr, Greg Olsen, Levi Brown(not a fan), Joe Staley, Ryan Kalil, Robert Meachem, Dwayne Bowe. Draft someone who's going to help you put points up on offense because I promise you our defense is going to hold opponents as they always have. The O just needs to give them the drives needed to stay off the field and stay fresh.

Add a quality player in the late first and an extra "lottery ticket" and how can we lose?

Frayser
03-22-2007, 08:37 AM
I believe Green coming to Miami is about Zero....the Dolphins want him to play for Vet min....thats not going to happen....so either they go after Carr or a QB in the draft.

Dolphins | Team interested but wants Green to take pay cut
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:06:16 -0700
Greg A. Bedard, of the Palm Beach Post, reports the Miami Dolphins are very interested in Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl) QB Trent Green (http://www.kffl.com/player/989/nfl), but they want Green to take a major pay cut from the $7.2, $7.7 and $9.2 million the 36-year-old veteran is due over the next three seasons, which are the final three years on his current contract. Miami doesn't want to pay Green, who will turn 37 in July, much more than the NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) veteran's minimum, which is $820,000 in 2007.

I am all for bringing Carr if it is for a second day pick.

Frayser
03-22-2007, 08:38 AM
um, i could see it definitely. It happens all the time that someone catapults themselves up while others (branch slip downward in a big way). Willis is the best LB in this draft period.

Yeah, I think Willis has really started to rise after his great 40 time. He's a potential star. I would love to have a guy like him to take over for Zach, but we clearly have more pressing needs.

PhinfanUK
03-22-2007, 02:19 PM
I like Okoye, but I don't see how he fits into our defense. Do we really want to spend the #9 pick on a 3-4 DE when we have Holliday and Roth? Not only that, but Okoye could be the next Warren Sapp in a 4-3 defense, why play him in a position where he might never live up to his potential?

zonk4ever
03-22-2007, 02:30 PM
I think Okoye is a great pick @ 9 ... as long as he can play left offensive tackle.

miamiron
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM

Very well said and to go one step further Everytime I hear lets trade up and pick up Calvin or Brady I get sick to my stomach because as much as I love
Calvin Johnson and would love to see him as a dolphin I just cant see giving away 4-5 or more draft picks who could come in and be very good players
(I REALIZE THAT JOHNSON COULD BE A POTENTIAL HALL OF FAME PLAYER)
but with our needs we just have to get more players and draft picks...

If we were that ONE player away from the superbowl then I would have no problem pulling the trigger and sending our whole draft for Calvin Johnson but lets face reality our team needs to hit on the next 2-3 drafts with atleast
5 players from each becomming GOOD starters.We cant afford to have any JASON ALLEN draft picks...if your drafted in the first round your butt needs to be at training camp and you need to be lining up as a starter that first game...and be productive not a special teams player...

zach8111
03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Very well said and to go one step further Everytime I hear lets trade up and pick up Calvin or Brady I get sick to my stomach because as much as I love
Calvin Johnson and would love to see him as a dolphin I just cant see giving away 4-5 or more draft picks who could come in and be very good players
(I REALIZE THAT JOHNSON COULD BE A POTENTIAL HALL OF FAME PLAYER)
but with our needs we just have to get more players and draft picks...

If we were that ONE player away from the superbowl then I would have no problem pulling the trigger and sending our whole draft for Calvin Johnson but lets face reality our team needs to hit on the next 2-3 drafts with atleast
5 players from each becomming GOOD starters.We cant afford to have any JASON ALLEN draft picks...if your drafted in the first round your butt needs to be at training camp and you need to be lining up as a starter that first game...and be productive not a special teams player...
i also dont want a defensive player take first round and i would love to trade up for calvin. i think instead of trading all of our picks away for him we might would be able to give away our 1, 2b/2a, and maybe chambers or someone else, maybe culpepper and pick up carr and draft a QB in later round, to either clev. or det. if johnson is still available by det. I think the browns might would cuz the in my opinion want AP and he will still be available at #9 as long as no one trades down for him like GB or BUF.

retarmyfinfan
03-22-2007, 04:48 PM
I would take Okoye over Branch. Something tels me he is not going to be all he is cracked up to be. But with the Wrights, Evans and Traylor I don't see us going DT with #9.

dominizzo
03-22-2007, 05:10 PM
WOOOW!! Teddy Ginn to COlts