PDA

View Full Version : Why does many Mocks have us taking Alan Branch?

Elle Clouds
03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
A DT when our offense barely can score 10 points a game.. what the hell is wrong with a. the experts and b. our front office if they do draft him... i wouldnt care if he was the best DT in the draft, that is not a blaring need... we had a good defense and i know they are getting old, but what about the anemic offense.. they are young, but still garbage.. we need a playmaker on offense... if we pick a DT with the number 9 overall pick... ill throw up in an envelope and mail it to our front office.. and itll be mexican :fire:

Regan21286
03-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Mainly because we don't have a pure NT on our team. Also, there's not much in terms of offense that has value at the #9 (unless you want to draft Levi Brown or reach for Joe Staley or hope Ted Ginn is healthy enough to retain his speed). I for one would rather trade up to get a QB.

phinsfan1221
03-22-2007, 04:40 PM
yes i think we should trade up for quinn hopefully at the #6 spot for #9 and #60or#71 not both to secure him if he slips to #6

phinsfan1221
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
say no to branch! thats why they call them mocks

diehardfin
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
sure the spelling is not great but i do see what is being said. we do not need a defensive tackle or any other defensive position for that matter besides a CB and that could be had later in the draft. anybody that thinks we need defense needs to put the pipe down and go to sleep:D

dominizzo
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Alan Branch = BPA

phinsfan1221
03-22-2007, 04:58 PM
branch at #9 would be a bad move, i believe alot of reports the past weeks have him dropping

Brown42000
03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Branch has the size to be a 3-4 NT which Miami will be running on a regular basis and Miami doesn't have a young capable NT that will be able to control the line like Branch does.

PHINSfan
03-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Branch is now off Kiper's top 25. I don't think he will be our pick at #9.

PJack
03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
He was a top 5-7 pick in most drafts until recently. I do have concerns about his dedication and motor. He looked like crap at the combine and I've heard he's had issues in some personal work outs. I doubt Landry will be available now that Atlanta picks ahead of us as he will never make it past the Vikes or ATL. I'm hoping someone drops unexpectedly, but it won't be Quinn or Landry. Maybe we look at best corner available???

Frayser
03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Mainly because we don't have a pure NT on our team. Also, there's not much in terms of offense that has value at the #9.

There is your answer. NT is the anchor of any 3-4, and while we have lots of DTs on the roster we are light when it comes to that spot. We need a Casey Hampton or Vince Wilfork that can clog the trenches for the next 5-7 years.

But I am down on Branch. I was not surprised about Kiper's draft. If we wanted a DT, I would rather take Okoye and develop him over the next several years. It might drive you crazy right now, but he could be an absolute monster after a few seasons.

shanem40
03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
lets just trade our 1st round picks for the next 10 years for peyton manning lol

AZStryker
03-22-2007, 09:03 PM
A DT when our offense barely can score 10 points a game.. what the hell is wrong with a. the experts and b. our front office if they do draft him... i wouldnt care if he was the best DT in the draft, that is not a blaring need... we had a good defense and i know they are getting old, but what about the anemic offense.. they are young, but still garbage.. we need a playmaker on offense... if we pick a DT with the number 9 overall pick... ill throw up in an envelope and mail it to our front office.. and itll be mexican :fire:

Perfectly put! Just say no to Branch!!!!

umpalu
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Branch has the size to be a 3-4 NT which Miami will be running on a regular basis and Miami doesn't have a young capable NT that will be able to control the line like Branch does.

bingo, thread done after this, no more posts.

PJack
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
The question is will he become the next Big Daddy (whom was a projected HOF coming out of college drafted #1) or the next Williams or Tommy Harris. I just am getting a bad feeling, but maybe it's my flashbacks of Daddy's rib eat'n azz.

AZStryker
03-24-2007, 12:53 AM
bingo, thread done after this, no more posts.

Hmm.. Miami has a top 5 defense with most starters returning plus upgrades. Miami's offensive line and quarterback are in disarray to say the least. Thread back open.

Just say no to Branch!

fishypete
03-24-2007, 01:36 AM
Because it's monkey see..monkey do.

miamiron
03-24-2007, 06:42 AM
Hmm.. Miami has a top 5 defense with most starters returning plus upgrades. Miami's offensive line and quarterback are in disarray to say the least. Thread back open.

Just say no to Branch!

And you will still see people saying lets draft Landry...Lets draft defense:rolleyes2
Maybe they weren't breast feed long enough...maybe way to long...who knows
To me there is no reason to draft defense with our first pick unless
GOD himself decided to play for one year...then it would be a tough decision

Elle Clouds
03-24-2007, 12:45 PM
honestly, i would not be that upset to at least draft the best corner, but i still think we go offense here...our defense was ranked number #4, but where was i offense ranked??? ...im sure it was bottom 15 in the league..i think cameron will go offense due to him being an offensive minded coach... something we havent had in a long time.. wann, jimmy, saban..all defensive coaches

darsey
03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Trade back.... there are a lot of holes to fill.

thomasdan15
03-25-2007, 07:56 AM
We do have alot of holes to fill and even though our defense played well last year the major contributors are all getting old. Giving the offense to Cameron should be a major upgrade in itself. We have neglected the defense for years. Look at the first and second round picks we have spent on QB's and RB's in the last few years. I'm not suggesting we take Branch. I'm just saying we need some quality youth on the defense soon our we will be in serious trouble. Soon!!

NorFlaFin
03-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Go back and look at how many snaps our aging DL linemen played last year. Only Roth played any significant snaps (Evans played one or two games).

The of school of thought on building a defense is start at the ball (with a premier NT/DT) and build back wards(the spine) and then out wards.

The Jags built a truly hellified defense this way and the anchor was/is John Henderson.

Seriously, if the DL can't stop the FB dive, then it doesn't really matter if the secondary is filled with the second coming of Dieon Sanders and Ronnie Lott.

unifiedtheory
03-25-2007, 11:27 AM
honestly, i would not be that upset to at least draft the best corner, but i still think we go offense here...our defense was ranked number #4, but where was i offense ranked??? ...im sure it was bottom 15 in the league..i think cameron will go offense due to him being an offensive minded coach... something we havent had in a long time.. wann, jimmy, saban..all defensive coaches

Just because our offense was piss poor means NOTHING. If you reach for an offensive player you'll get burned. Top 10 picks are not for "need". Top 10 picks are for selecting premium talent, the best player that is available regardless of position, unless it is a position you don't have a "need" at.

Look at the age of our defense, lack of high end depth and the lack of draft day investment made in the front seven, especially the defensive line since Jimmy Johnson retired.

How many day one picks have we made on our front seven since Jimmy Johnson retired? Three. Crowder, Roth and Eddie F'n Moore. That is a grand total of THREE top defensive prospects drafted in SEVEN YEARS.

Our defense has withered on the vine for years. All of our premium defensive talent is 30 and over. We are 2-3 years away from a crisis on the defensive side of the football. Saban started the rebuild by picking Crowder and Matt Roth but he had to fill holes in free agency. We simply can't continue to plug the holes in the dam with players that are over 30.

If the best player available is a defensive player then we SHOULD take a defensive player. If Brady Quinn is gone (likely) then Leon Hall or Adam Carriker would suit me just fine. Add a premium talent to the defense. I'm not for adding Branch, he's lazy and looks like a "bust". Hall and Carriker are talented, mature players.

We have four picks on the first day, we'll find some offense, I pray we don't "reach" for it in the first round.

ih8brady
03-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Branch is now off Kiper's top 25. I don't think he will be our pick at #9.

I agree. His stock is slipping and thats why he wont be drafted.

PJack
03-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Just because our offense was piss poor means NOTHING. If you reach for an offensive player you'll get burned. Top 10 picks are not for "need". Top 10 picks are for selecting premium talent, the best player that is available regardless of position, unless it is a position you don't have a "need" at.

Look at the age of our defense, lack of high end depth and the lack of draft day investment made in the front seven, especially the defensive line since Jimmy Johnson retired.

How many day one picks have we made on our front seven since Jimmy Johnson retired? Three. Crowder, Roth and Eddie F'n Moore. That is a grand total of THREE top defensive prospects drafted in SEVEN YEARS.

Our defense has withered on the vine for years. All of our premium defensive talent is 30 and over. We are 2-3 years away from a crisis on the defensive side of the football. Saban started the rebuild by picking Crowder and Matt Roth but he had to fill holes in free agency. We simply can't continue to plug the holes in the dam with players that are over 30.

If the best player available is a defensive player then we SHOULD take a defensive player. If Brady Quinn is gone (likely) then Leon Hall or Adam Carriker would suit me just fine. Add a premium talent to the defense. I'm not for adding Branch, he's lazy and looks like a "bust". Hall and Carriker are talented, mature players.

We have four picks on the first day, we'll find some offense, I pray we don't "reach" for it in the first round.

My thoughts exactly! Landry, Okoye, Willis, maybe Hall are all better choices than reaching for Brown or Ginn whom have more potential to be busts IMO. Willis is not a need at all but with Zach getting up there we'll have our future MLB and he can spell at other spots (and 4.37 is sick). Carriker is interesting as I think he gives us some flexibilty and depth on the D-line.

Delfin 22
03-25-2007, 07:32 PM

??????????:confused:

Boone
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM

:goodpost: Post of the week! :goodpost:

LouPhinFan
03-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Great post!

People that think because our offense needs work we should reach for an offensive player at #9, aren't seeing the big picture. We will draft offensive players, but they will be drafted at the appropriate time that warrants that pick. Reaching for offensive talent is a receipe for disaster. To be honest with you guys, we need help everywhere, not just offense.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
03-26-2007, 10:42 AM
if the best player available is a premium offensive talent, then we take him. if the best player available is a premium defensive talent, then we take him...

Motion
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
if the best player available is a premium offensive talent, then we take him. if the best player available is a premium defensive talent, then we take him...

Pretty much sums it up.

ticophin
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
I agree. His stock is slipping and thats why he wont be drafted.

Didn`t Branch just get all roughed up by Tim Krumrie, the Chiefs Line coach , at Michigan`s workouts with his famous slapping routine, and came out horrible? I believe thst`s one of the reasons he fell hard.

oldfinfan
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM

mocks are just speculation...check all of them and you will see the Fins picking about 10-12 different players with the 9th pick. It doesn't mean a thing.

Rubbin420
03-26-2007, 11:10 PM

DT is a need. Traylor is gone next year. Okoye is my choice.

However, your right we need offensive help. At 9 the best offensive players are either gone or not worth the 9th pick.

Danny
03-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Peope needs to stop getting so worked up over mocks....the FO will draft the players and the mocks won't matter.

Ozzy rules!!