PDA

View Full Version : Can they really crackdown on internet sharing?

XoPhinsoX
06-29-2003, 10:07 AM
I find this ammussing ,because I'm sure everyone has seen on the news they are going to "track down" MILLIONS of people for internet sharing (songs, etc) and sue them.

Apparently they have already have a few hundred, rofl.

Didn't they say this 3 years ago or something when Metallica was crying over it?

Muck
06-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Sure they could. It wouldn't be fast though. It would take some time if they're targeting the peer-to-peer programs (WinMX, Kazaa Lite). Napster ran on a centralized server(s). So everything was right there. This is different. And really, if you don't share music, they're not gonna get you.

In short, they'll never beat us.

BTW - I've been messing with this thing called "Waste". It's a very privatized sharing program developed by the guy who created Winamp (his company is called Nullsoft). It's something that is going to be VERY tough to regulate because it's totally private. Nullsoft was recently aquired by AOL. And less than 24 hours after Nullsoft released "Waste" last month for download, parent AOL yanked it. That's how dangerous it is to the RIAA.

Shortly thereafter, the creator left Nullsoft and went out on his own. Luckily, I captured "Waste" before it left. But it's popping up again. :)

Muck
06-29-2003, 11:52 AM
FYI - Maybe we'll start a Finheaven "Waste" network. I've been thinking about it for a while. Obviously, Finheaven would have no affiliation. Just members of Finheaven joining up. We would share music and such between us.

XoPhinsoX
06-29-2003, 12:01 PM
So if you "share" files your can be in trouble, but if you just download you can't? Or is that considered the same thing ;\

Prime Time
06-29-2003, 02:11 PM
Good Idea Muck....Muck is a trouble maker, first the food on camera mans stuff now this...tsk tsk I thought Muck was a good little boy.

Muck
06-29-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
So if you "share" files your can be in trouble, but if you just download you can't? Or is that considered the same thing ;\

LOL. Well, you're still "guilty" either way. But they're mainly targeting the "big sharers" (is that a word??). People sharing a massive library of music. So if you don't share, or are a small-time "crook", you're pretty much safe.

Muck
06-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I'm quite the bad influence. :lol:

Prime Time
06-29-2003, 05:27 PM
:lol:

WeVie
06-29-2003, 07:06 PM
I will never stop. I use mIRC to get all my stuff and I have quiet a big list to share also. This one person I know has about 150.000 songs that they share. How crazy is that!!

minus
12-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Muck ...

What happen to Waste network idea?

Justasportsfan
12-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

Create a separate folder on your desktop ( or wherever) and move the song you just downloaded. just make sure the new folder is not shared.

I don't think they'll be gunning for you when they see that the song you are downloading is the only song you have. They'd rather go for those with a huge library that they can see.

WeVie
12-24-2003, 02:42 AM
Yes Muck I would like to know more about the waste network thing. Please do tell us more