PDA

View Full Version : The BEST Mock Draft I've Seen So Far (IMO), Updated 3/23 and Full 7 Rounds

Agent51
03-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Here's a pretty good 7-round mock, with everything current (all traded picks including the Flacons/Texans trade). I am LOVING the way Miami's draft plays out in this mock, and I can only hope it actually goes this way:

Here is the link to the complete draft: http://www.drafttek.com/firstround.html

And below I wrote out each of Miami's picks from the mock along with my own personal writeup for each pick:

Round 1 (#9) - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
We need this pick. It is time to finally invest in a young QB. SERIOUSLY invest in a young QB, not draft ones in the later rounds like Heupel and Berlin etc. We also need to stop signing injured, old, and/or washed up QBs in free agency. Brady is perfect for us, and he's been at the top of my personal Dolphins draft board since his potential draft entrance last year.

Round 2 (#40) - Tony Ugoh, OT, Arkansas
I've heard his name a bunch, and heard some pretty good things about him. I'm not super familiar with him, and I might want USC center Ryan Kalil over him here, but OT is a bigger need than center and I would be pretty happy with this pick.

Round 2 (#60, from New England) - Steve Smith, WR, USC
I'm not a huge Smith fan (I find it hard to like anyone from USC, as I DESPISE them, lol), but I wouldn't mind taking him here, he seems like he'd be able to contribute to out recieving corps, especially with Quinn at QB. Ran a 4.4 40 and is willing to go over the middle, plus "he runs excellent routes, has great hands, and knows how to get open" according to scouts, so he'd be a good replacement for Welker.

Round 3 (#71) - Samson Satele, C, Hawai'i
Fills another spot on the o-line, and makes up for passing on Ryan Kalil in round 2. 2nd team all-WAC in freshman and sophmore years, and 1st team junior year (at guard). Said to have great technique and be a "superb pass blocker". Also said to be very tough and aggressive, with excellent strength and good instincts and awareness. Experienced at guard and tackle as well, so could help wherever we need it.

Round 4 (#104) - Kenny Scott, CB, Georgia Tech
I don't really know anything about him, so I can't fairly ***** him or his value here.

Round 5 (#135) - *Traded to Detroit*
Stupid Harrington........:fire:

Round 6 (#166) - Kevin Boss, TE, Western Oregon
As with Kenny Scott, I don't know enough about him to fairly ***** his value or play.

Round 6 (#183, from Denver) - Zach Latimer, ILB, Oklahoma
I don't know a lot about his measureables or his times, but he did play in my Longhorns' conference so I got to see him a few times a year. I'd be happy with him. Not drooling, but not dissappointed either.

Round 7 (#200) - Prescott Burgess, OLB, Michigan
Don't know too much about him but I've heard he's an underachiever. Also heard that he is a big hiter and a "fiery competitor who is smart and a hard worker with a decent amount of upside".

Round 7 (#219, from New England) - Nate Ilaoa, RB, Hawai'i
This guy is a BEAST. Highly recruited out of high school, he turned down big programs like Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), Oklahoma, and BYU to play for Hawai'i and be near his family. I've seen almost ALL of his games and this guy is a bruiser. Could be a nice steal to use in goal line and short yardage 3rd down situations, or even when Ronnie Brown needs a breather. I REALLY like him, especially at this pick, I personally think it's a value.

So what does everyone else think of this mock and our picks (assuming, for discussion's sake, that this is exactly how the draft goes)? Like I said, I love this mock, and all we need to add to it is signing Trent Green to mentor Quinn for a year or two and I'd be in heaven........FINheaven :lol: sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Sean
03-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Don't like Smith in 2nd, maybe in mid 3rd, but other than that it's perfect.

Kdawg954
03-24-2007, 01:00 AM
I can't complain about those first 3 picks at all, tho I dont think Steve Smith makes it to 60, boy if he did I would be going crazy. 2 picks from Hawaii . . . I know their QB's breaking records every other year . . . do I need to pay more attention to them more often then catching them on the midnight game on Saturday?

Get a DE prospect instead of 2 LB prospects and its tight.

zach8111
03-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Here's a pretty good 7-round mock, with everything current (all traded picks including the Flacons/Texans trade). I am LOVING the way Miami's draft plays out in this mock, and I can only hope it actually goes this way:

And below I wrote out each of Miami's picks from the mock along with my own personal writeup for each pick:

We need this pick. It is time to finally invest in a young QB. SERIOUSLY invest in a young QB, not draft ones in the later rounds like Heupel and Berlin etc. We also need to stop signing injured, old, and/or washed up QBs in free agency. Brady is perfect for us, and he's been at the top of my personal Dolphins draft board since his potential draft entrance last year.

I've heard his name a bunch, and heard some pretty good things about him. I'm not super familiar with him, and I might want USC center Ryan Kalil over him here, but OT is a bigger need than center and I would be pretty happy with this pick.

I'm not a huge Smith fan (I find it hard to like anyone from USC, as I DESPISE them, lol), but I wouldn't mind taking him here, he seems like he'd be able to contribute to out recieving corps, especially with Quinn at QB. Ran a 4.4 40 and is willing to go over the middle, plus "he runs excellent routes, has great hands, and knows how to get open" according to scouts, so he'd be a good replacement for Welker.

Fills another spot on the o-line, and makes up for passing on Ryan Kalil in round 2. 2nd team all-WAC in freshman and sophmore years, and 1st team junior year (at guard). Said to have great technique and be a "superb pass blocker". Also said to be very tough and aggressive, with excellent strength and good instincts and awareness. Experienced at guard and tackle as well, so could help wherever we need it.

I don't really know anything about him, so I can't fairly ***** him or his value here.

As with Kenny Scott, I don't know enough about him to fairly ***** his value or play.

I don't know a lot about his measureables or his times, but he did play in my Longhorns' conference so I got to see him a few times a year. I'd be happy with him. Not drooling, but not dissappointed either.

Don't know too much about him but I've heard he's an underachiever. Also heard that he is a big hiter and a "fiery competitor who is smart and a hard worker with a decent amount of upside".

This guy is a BEAST. Highly recruited out of high school, he turned down big programs like Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), Oklahoma, and BYU to play for Hawai'i and be near his family. I've seen almost ALL of his games and this guy is a bruiser. Could be a nice steal to use in goal line and short yardage 3rd down situations, or even when Ronnie Brown needs a breather. I REALLY like him, especially at this pick, I personally think it's a value.

So what does everyone else think of this mock and our picks (assuming, for discussion's sake, that this is exactly how the draft goes)?
do you have quinn starting right away or culpepper or green or car? who? cuz i like this draft alot. looks like you put some thought into it unlike some people on here.

Agent51
03-24-2007, 01:06 AM
do you have quinn starting right away or culpepper or green or car? who? cuz i like this draft alot. looks like you put some thought into it unlike some people on here.

Well, unfortunately I cannot take credit for this mock, it's from the website in the link I provided (although the writeups under the picks are my own). But to answer your question, I'd have us either trading a 7th for Green or waiting til he was released and signing him, then he would start for a year, maybe two, and "hold the fort down" while mentoring Quinn so he can pick up everything he possibly can so he is 100% ready to take over. I don't want him being forced in to early and ruining his confidence (although he doesn't seem to have a problem with that from the interviews I've seen). Also, I'd have us trading/releasing Culpepper.

I don't see the need to even look at Carr unless we don't get Quinn. Who is Carr going to mentor? He is still basically a raw QB that needs mentoring himself, so to bring him in as the "veteran presence" would be pointless. However, if we don't get Quinn in the draft I'd rather sign Carr than Green. I think Green has the better upside as a short-term starter and a veteren mentor, but I think Carr has the better upside as a long-term starter.

Phanatical
03-24-2007, 01:12 AM
The first two picks are very good!! After that, I like mine better. We need some DE depth and I like my CB and WR better than the ones they selected.

dominizzo
03-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Im Ok with that

finfan54
03-24-2007, 07:09 AM
replace smith with gonzalez if we go WR and get Kasey Studdard as a G in late rounds and it looks good to me.

The Confessor
03-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Not bad cept for smith in the second...I dont think he is worthy of a third much less a second. No way Quinn falls to us at 9. Aside from that, I would be very happy with this draft.
Hmmm. 51 any chance these two names help you like this draft a little more? Satele and Ilaoa:lol:. I would LOVE us picking up Satele in the third, dont know anything about Ilaoa except that I cant pronounce his name...:D

TractorTraylor
03-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Hahaha, I love the Ilaoa pick. I'm surprised someone else has actually thought about him. He reminds me of Natrone Means with better hands. It would be a nice depth pick since the defenses wouldnt get a break when going from Ronnie Brown to Ilaoa. Maybe Cam could see him as a poor man's Michael Turner or something. He would be a steal in the 7th but I could see him going late 5th early 6th as well.

VT Dolphan
03-24-2007, 12:09 PM
It's been updated, first three picks now Levi Brown, Craig Davis and Drew Stanton. The original was so much better...

alen1
03-24-2007, 12:23 PM
i wood like that but i heard that steve smith is now considered a first round pick in some peoples minds on espnews.. but that would be awesome

Frayser
03-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I think they have already changed it. Now it says:

1. Levi Brown (OT)
2a. Craig Davis (WR)
2b. Drew Stanton (QB)
3. Samson Satele (C)
4. Michael Coe (CB)
6a. Matt Spaeth (TE)
6b. Anthony Waters (ILB)
7a. Prescott Burgess (OLB)
7b. Nate Ilaoa (RB)

I really don't mind that at all. Judging by their draft order, I would be happier with something like this:

1. Leon Hall (CB)
2a. Arron Sears (OL)
2b. Quentin Moses (DE/OLB)
3. Jason Hill (WR)
4. Trent Edwards (QB)
6a. Matt Spaeth (TE) - Draftcountdown has him as a first day pick
6b. Anthony Waters (ILB)
7a. Scott Stephenson (C)
7b. Stanley Doughty (DT)

cowtowndick
03-24-2007, 01:44 PM
with the updated version, i now have doubts about this site, specifically regarding mia's pick 2a. they predict craig davis, then rate it as a huge reach. of course it's a huge reach, no mock i've seen has davis rated that high - so what makes them think mia will draft him at that spot? they have davis going ahead of anthony gonzales, jason hill, aundrae allison and steve smith. if someone else has davis rated that high, i certainly haven't seen it. makes me wonder about the site as a whole.

Frayser
03-24-2007, 02:17 PM
with the updated version, i now have doubts about this site, specifically regarding mia's pick 2a. they predict craig davis, then rate it as a huge reach. of course it's a huge reach, no mock i've seen has davis rated that high - so what makes them think mia will draft him at that spot? they have davis going ahead of anthony gonzales, jason hill, aundrae allison and steve smith. if someone else has davis rated that high, i certainly haven't seen it. makes me wonder about the site as a whole.

I think Stitches had said that Davis was moving up and some people had him going early 2nd now.

MustangFinFan
03-24-2007, 02:25 PM
our defense was rated #4...what this team needs is OFFENSE. now with the 1st pick, i do think Laron Landry is perfect...our defense would be solidified. but if hes not there, and im having a hard time believing that he will be there...a good draft would be like:

R1. Levi Brown OT
2a. Sidney Rice WR
2b. Zach Miller TE
R3. Josh Beekman C
R4. Marcus Thomas...a 1st round NT, but issues land him in the 4th.
R6. FB
R7. WR

We would get help on the OL, with receiving, and a Nose Tackle.

cowtowndick
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I think Stitches had said that Davis was moving up and some people had him going early 2nd now.

i guess that certainly could be the case. as i said, i haven't seen it myself but would be happy to stand corrected if that's how it works out. i know we could use the help at wr - i prefer jason hill, but i'm all for the best one available.

cowtowndick
03-24-2007, 02:33 PM
our defense was rated #4...what this team needs is OFFENSE. now with the 1st pick, i do think Laron Landry is perfect...our defense would be solidified. but if hes not there, and im having a hard time believing that he will be there...a good draft would be like:

R1. Levi Brown OT
2a. Sidney Rice WR
2b. Zach Miller TE
R3. Josh Beekman C
R6. FB
R7. WR

no qb? no thanks.

Minibull
03-24-2007, 02:42 PM
no qb? no thanks.

I agree - the Dolphins need to follow the GB model of drafting a QB each draft, even if it is only a 5th-7th pick. I don't want to draft a QB in the first round since there is a very good likelyhood of it being a bust (someone had a link to a sight that calculated it out that only 20% of the past10 years 1st round QBs have played at a pro bowl level...).

HybridPHIN 23
03-24-2007, 02:57 PM
I agree - the Dolphins need to follow the GB model of drafting a QB each draft, even if it is only a 5th-7th pick. I don't want to draft a QB in the first round since there is a very good likelyhood of it being a bust (someone had a link to a sight that calculated it out that only 20% of the past10 years 1st round QBs have played at a pro bowl level...).
it's also true that in most years, more than 50% of the playoff contenders are led by former 1st rounders at QB !!

My opinion is theres no way Quinn falls to nine...... Russell maybe... i wouldn't be upset if we traded up for a QB in the 1st.... but i'd rather sit at 9, hope one does fall to us and try to trade down..... or take him if we want him..... or lastly, pass and/or take BPA.

DonShula84
03-24-2007, 03:02 PM
All I had to see was the first pick and I loved it :)

HybridPHIN 23
03-24-2007, 03:05 PM
All I had to see was the first pick and I loved it :)

i guess we should hope the phins get the luck of the Irish come draft day

NPG
03-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Not bad cept for smith in the second...I dont think he is worthy of a third much less a second. No way Quinn falls to us at 9. Aside from that, I would be very happy with this draft.
Hmmm. 51 any chance these two names help you like this draft a little more? Satele and Ilaoa:lol:. I would LOVE us picking up Satele in the third, dont know anything about Ilaoa except that I cant pronounce his name...:D

What is it you don't like about him? I've seen him play and think he'd be a good pick with that 2nd second rounder.

FinNasty
03-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Mike Walker making it to the 5th?!? Wow...

Huscroft6
03-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Everything solid except NO WAY Smith in 2nd, maybe 4th at best. Smith will not be that good of an NFL WR. Maybe a #3.

Huscroft6
03-24-2007, 07:49 PM

R1. Levi Brown OT
2a. Sidney Rice WR
2b. Zach Miller TE
R3. Josh Beekman C
R6. FB
R7. WR

Thats a solid draft. I like Beekman, seen a lot being up here 1 hr away from BC. Good mock

IluvJuMiami
03-24-2007, 08:01 PM
I agree, best mock draft for Miami I've seen yet. Thanks.

Roman529
03-24-2007, 08:20 PM
There is no way Quinn falls to #9....nice to think about it but it won't happen....so we need to need to go wtih Kevin Kolb with the #60 pick (2b. I believe?).

zach8111
03-24-2007, 08:47 PM

R1. Levi Brown OT
2a. Sidney Rice WR
2b. Zach Miller TE
R3. Josh Beekman C
R6. FB
R7. WR

yes i agree we need offense but we still need CB and could take one in the later rds. and instead of a FB we probably should get some youth to the D we also need a franchise QB

Agent51
03-24-2007, 11:36 PM

The Quinn pick combined with filling in some positions of need in the rest of the rounds with some pretty good players is what made me love it, not that Hawai'i connection :lol:. However, Satele and Ilaoa (pronounced ee-LAW-wuh :up:) would be great picks. As I said, I get to see quite a bit of them, and Satele is great at any spot on the line, but the one I like the most is Ilaoa. In fact, he might be my favorite pick in this mock aside from Quinn. He ran a 4.77 40, but the guy is 5'9" and 245lbs, he is a BEAST. Imagine him coming in when Brown needs a rest, or even on goal-line and short-yardage situations?

Hahaha, I love the Ilaoa pick. I'm surprised someone else has actually thought about him. He reminds me of Natrone Means with better hands. It would be a nice depth pick since the defenses wouldnt get a break when going from Ronnie Brown to Ilaoa. Maybe Cam could see him as a poor man's Michael Turner or something. He would be a steal in the 7th but I could see him going late 5th early 6th as well.

I've been watching this guy forever man. I'd love to have him in round 7. Imagine him subbing in for Brown, who is already a physical runner. Have Brown do his thing and then send Ilaoa in to kick 'em when they're down.

As far as the new update goes, I hate it, they went from my favorite mock possibly ever to just pssing me off, I am 100% against Brown, Adams, Anderson, or Branch in round 1 :fire: :lol:

TexanPhinatic
03-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I loved the first mock with us getting Quinn. BTW, to all those people who say we have no chance for him, the whole Houston/Carr situation gives us a good shot at him. First off it takes Houston out of the running, and second if a team like the Vikes/Raiders/Browns take Carr we are suddenly looking good.

I agree with you Agent on Levi, Gaines/Jamaal and Alan. I would be dissapointed if one of them became our first rounder.

Agent51
03-25-2007, 12:20 AM
I loved the first mock with us getting Quinn. BTW, to all those people who say we have no chance for him, the whole Houston/Carr situation gives us a good shot at him. First off it takes Houston out of the running, and second if a team like the Vikes/Raiders/Browns take Carr we are suddenly looking good.

I agree with you Agent on Levi, Gaines/Jamaal and Alan. I would be dissapointed if one of them became our first rounder.

Houston moving to #10 was GREAT for us (and dumb on their part :lol:). Of all the possible ways this could go I PRAY Cleveland is the one that signs Carr. If Cleveland signs Carr that takes our biggest competition out of the running for SURE. It ends all the speculation between Peterson/Quinn. I personally view them as the biggest threat to take Quinn, and I've had them taking him all along. If they sign Carr then they can sign Peterson (or whomever) and that would leave Oakland, possibly Detroit, and Minn needing QBs before us. I still don't think Minn would go QB after investing all that in Jackson last year, but Quinn would be pretty hard to pass up. I'm not worried about Oakland at all since they are in love with Russell and CJ and Quinn doesn't even fit their mold. I'm on the fence about Detroit taking him or not. They are said to like McCown and Kitna is a very capable QB, so their need doesn't seem that great, but again, there are some questions so I think ANY team that doesn't have a guy like Manning or Brady has to at least consider it.

So back to my point, the best scenerio would be Oakland taking Russell, Detroit Taking CJ, and Cleveland signing Carr and taking Peterson. If it went like that we could then trade our #9 and #60 to Washington for their #6 and take Quinn before the Vikings even had the chance, instead of gambling on knowing what they are thinking.

Regan21286
03-25-2007, 04:37 AM

So what does everyone else think of this mock and our picks (assuming, for discussion's sake, that this is exactly how the draft goes)? Like I said, I love this mock, and all we need to add to it is signing Trent Green to mentor Quinn for a year or two and I'd be in heaven........FINheaven :lol: sorry, I couldn't resist :D

Looks good but if Staley miraculously stays available at the 2nd round spot (probably with Levi Brown causing a domino effect), I'd take him instead. Or maybe tab Sidney Rice and Ugoh, instead of Smith. And of course, it would also require almost a miracle for now to have Quinn drop that far. I would rather go with Justin Hickman in the 6th, who could be a nice OLB/DE hybrid for us. He just gets to QB's. And also Paul Soliai with the other 6th rounder, who's a pretty strong widebody to put at NT.

NorFlaFin
03-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Nate Ilaoa - Dude is 5'9" 248lbs. hes friggin bowling ball.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=18694

finfan54
03-25-2007, 10:31 AM

agreed.

finfan54
03-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Houston moving to #10 was GREAT for us (and dumb on their part :lol:). Of all the possible ways this could go I PRAY Cleveland is the one that signs Carr. If Cleveland signs Carr that takes our biggest competition out of the running for SURE. It ends all the speculation between Peterson/Quinn. I personally view them as the biggest threat to take Quinn, and I've had them taking him all along. If they sign Carr then they can sign Peterson (or whomever) and that would leave Oakland, possibly Detroit, and Minn needing QBs before us. I still don't think Minn would go QB after investing all that in Jackson last year, but Quinn would be pretty hard to pass up. I'm not worried about Oakland at all since they are in love with Russell and CJ and Quinn doesn't even fit their mold. I'm on the fence about Detroit taking him or not. They are said to like McCown and Kitna is a very capable QB, so their need doesn't seem that great, but again, there are some questions so I think ANY team that doesn't have a guy like Manning or Brady has to at least consider it.

So back to my point, the best scenerio would be Oakland taking Russell, Detroit Taking CJ, and Cleveland signing Carr and taking Peterson. If it went like that we could then trade our #9 and #60 to Washington for their #6 and take Quinn before the Vikings even had the chance, instead of gambling on knowing what they are thinking.

Totally agree on the Houston move because it obviously takes Quinn out of their equation, but the real deal there is it gives us Brown at 9 if Arizona doesnt take him. I think Houston made this deal with the notion that we are not interested in Brown. Brown is very much in our picture, make no mistake. Quinn is the golden egg.

I doubt we will trade up for anything. I think if anything we will trade down in mid rounds to get more picks later. Mueller will want 10 picks at least by the time he is done. The way Mueller is working it seems is making deals and talking about players as things happen. He is very hands on day to day. I think Muells is going to get this year what we need most to turn this thing around as quickly as possible. That means QB, LT, LG, TE, C, another CB, S, WR. TE is bigger than people think.