PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Launch in Europe. Microsoft crashes the party.

Amars
03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Sony gave away free HDTV. Still in some place more media then customers.

Microsoft crashes Sony PS3 launch

Berlin launch of the PS3, AFP/Getty

Trying out the PS3 and its rivals
The European launch of the PlayStation 3 has been met by both cheers and indifference across the continent.

London saw the biggest turnout and all those that turned up for the midnight event also got a free HD TV to go with their new console.

But in France, Germany and many other places crowds of keen gamers were conspicuous by their absence.

In both London and France Microsoft mounted publicity stunts to rub some of the gloss off Sony's launch events.

Stunt site

At the Virgin Megastore in London's Oxford Street, the software giant handed out chairs to those queuing that had a website address printed on them.

Anyone visiting the webpage saw an Xbox 360 branded site that "welcomes" Sony to the next generation and chides the electronics giant for being "late". Microsoft's Xbox 360 launched in late 2005.

PS3 HITS EUROPE
PS3 boxes
Clickable guide to the PS3
A voyage around the hardware

Sony rewards patient gamers
Gamer who prefers Xbox 360

In other European nations the response to the launch of the PS3 was more mixed.

In France several stores stayed open until midnight so gamers could pick up a PlayStation but few people took the opportunity to grab one.

Game news site Next Gen reported that French gamers were outnumbered by the media on the boat Sony moored by the Eiffel tower to act as a temporary electronics store selling the console.

The event was upstaged by Microsoft which drove its own boat covered in Xbox 360 logos up and down the Seine near the Sony craft.

In Germany several hundred people turned up at the Sony Centre in Berlin where the electronics giant was hosting a launch event.

Game website Kotaku reported that in Berlin, at a branch of the Saturn electronics store, 50 gamers got a free PS3 after smashing their Xbox 360 by throwing it off a wall.

Screengrab of Microsoft spoiler page, Microsoft
Microsoft had a cheeky message for Sony
In Amsterdam only a "handful" of gamers turned up to pick up a console.

One of the better attended events seems to have been in Prague in the Czech republic where more than 100 gamers queued for the chance to buy a PS3 soon after midnight.

In Sydney Sony and retailer Myer staged a launch event at which customers were also outnumbered by the media. Danny Zarka, the first Australian PS3 owner, was at the front of the queue despite only turning up after 9PM.

About 80 customers turned up for the midnight launch and the Sydney Morning Herald called it "feeble".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6485483.stm

Dolfan5000
03-25-2007, 12:37 AM
French people would...
lol

FinsNCanes
03-25-2007, 01:39 AM
Wow..

Microsoft fanboi's are ****ing ******ed.

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-25-2007, 08:42 AM
The PS3 launch in Paris was a scene of tragic, mass confusion. It seems the Sony people from Japan were asking the crowds:

"Do you want a PS3?" Again and again.

The crowds kept responding:

"Wii!! Wii!!"

:wink:

Amars
03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
:lol:

Pagan
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Wow..

Microsoft fanboi's are ****ing ******ed.
Like Sony fanbois are Mensa members. :rolleyes:

FinsNCanes
03-25-2007, 12:09 PM
I still think in the long run Sony is going to win the console war.

I just think the whole "hate" towards Sony/Micro/Nintendo that people have is dumb. Like you proved something buy buying a 360 and not a ps3.

JT Sack Attack
03-25-2007, 12:49 PM
i got 1 but i didnt get an HD TV :tantrum:

Pagan
03-25-2007, 01:13 PM

I just think the whole "hate" towards Sony/Micro/Nintendo that people have is dumb. Like you proved something buy buying a 360 and not a ps3.
On that we can agree...but if that's so, why call it a "console war" then? Who plays nice in a war, especially when massive amounts of money are concerned?

Deus Ex Dolphin
03-25-2007, 01:40 PM

I don't think Sony wins this round. They launched last, with the most expensive hardware, and have lost a lot of PS2 exclusive games.

The fact you can look around a bit and find a PS3, especially in Europe? That is INSANE. How can a just launched system have systems just sitting on shelves?

The answer? When the DEMAND is simply not there. Like 90% of Sony PS2 owners worldwide, most are waiting for a price drop on the PS3.

The hardware is powerful, Blu-ray is nice (if you have a newer HDTV), the online is somewhat there... it just lacks enough GREAT games and a better price versus value rating.

The Wii is dominating in Japan, while the 360 has a huge lead in North America and is stealing exclusives left and right. Both are much less expensive than the PS3. BTW, the "360 Elite" strikes me as a bad move by MS, if they release it at $479.

BTW, the fact Sony gave some PS3 buyers in Europe a free HDTV? I'd be upset I didn't get one at launch, and it's also a tacit admission by Sony that you NEED a HDTV to really enjoy the PS3. So be prepared to upgrade your TV and pay most for a game console.

Is it any wonder it will be tough sledding for Sony?