PDA

View Full Version : Third round question

Frayser
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Just working on a potential mock and came across an interesting question in the third round. Thought I would see what some of you might think. If the following were our draft up until our third round pick, who would you take?

1. Leon Hall
2a. Sidney Rice
2b. Manuel Ramirez

Trent Edwards (QB - Stanford) or Doug Free (OT - Northern Illinois)?

Edwards is rising, and I think if he is there in the third he is well worth taking. In fact, I think he would likely be a steal there. In this mock, Ryan Harris is still available, but I think Doug Free is probably a better choice. He's got size, experience, versatility, and heart. He and Ramirez could really solidify our line.

I'm torn.

Dol_Fan_4_Ever
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Actually I don't think Edwards will be there in the 3rd, I could see him going around the middle of the second round. If the tackle is there I would take him but if we can get a center like Dan Moses, that'd be awesome.

Frayser
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Another option I just realized is Samson Satele (C - Hawaii).

My apologies to Hawaiian fin fans.

Frayser
03-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Actually I don't think Edwards will be there in the 3rd, I could see him going around the middle of the second round. If the tackle is there I would take him but if we can get a center like Dan Moses, that'd be awesome.

I think it's just going to depend on where Stanton goes. If Stanton goes early in the second, I would expect Edwards to go towards the bottom . . . perhaps to us.

Dol_Fan_4_Ever
03-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Can't really tell at this point because we don't know how the other 32 teams will use their first and second round picks. Like taking a stab in the dark but it's fun to guess.

Frayser
03-25-2007, 10:20 PM

So would you take Edwards over the tackle if he were there?

Frayser
03-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Seriously, guys? 103 posts in the crazy Detroit trade rumor thread . . . and five in mine (three of which are my own)?

:boohoo:

miamiron
03-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Seriously, guys? 103 posts in the crazy Detroit trade rumor thread . . . and five in mine (three of which are my own)?

:boohoo:

I just posted because you are feeling a little neglected

Roman529
03-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Just working on a potential mock and came across an interesting question in the third round. Thought I would see what some of you might think. If the following were our draft up until our third round pick, who would you take?

1. Leon Hall
2a. Sidney Rice
2b. Manuel Ramirez

Edwards is rising, and I think if he is there in the third he is well worth taking. In fact, I think he would likely be a steal there. In this mock, Ryan Harris is still available, but I think Doug Free is probably a better choice. He's got size, experience, versatility, and heart. He and Ramirez could really solidify our line.

I'm torn.

Kevin Kolb. QB, Houston

Frayser
03-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks, man. I don't get like this often, but when it's because everyone is over in that ridiculous trade thread . . . it kinda hurts.

Frayser
03-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Kevin Kolb. QB, Houston

Not sure I have seen anything to suggest he should be ahead of Edwards.

GRYPHONK
03-26-2007, 02:09 AM
Kolb in the 3rd

oronde86
03-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Take John Wendling inthe third....he's the best free safety of entire draft

Boomer
03-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Miami has a much stronger interest in Kolb than it does in Trent.

jim1
03-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Miami has a much stronger interest in Kolb than it does in Trent.

Where did you hear that?

TampaFinsFan01
03-26-2007, 09:37 AM

1. Leon Hall
2a. Sidney Rice
2b. Manuel Ramirez

I'm torn.

If we sign David Carr, then we shouldn't draft a QB on the first day. Carr and Lemon give us the experienced veteran and a young developmental guy.

I think every draft its a good idea to pick a second day QB (unless you are totally set with a clear starter and a clear backup ala Pittsburgh, etc).

But QB isn't our only need. We need WRs, OL, youth on defense, and most of all, we need our first round pick to be an impact player. A guy that is in the middle of the ROTY voting, whether it be offense or defense.

Its a possibility that we don't get the QB position solved this year. But hopefully, if that unfortunate scenario plays out, we have gotten a starter on the oline, a contributor at WR, and few players on defense that by next year will be able to give us solid contributions (Matt Roth types).

Boomer
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Where did you hear that?

From a couple of different places and from information gathered at respective pro days.

Boomer
03-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Apropos of nothing, Miami was one of 5 teams that interviewed Manny Ramirez in Indy, but subsequent to that he's not heard a thing. Makes you think that they saw something in that rehabbed knee they didn't like one iota.

Borat
03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Apropos of nothing, Miami was one of 5 teams that interviewed Manny Ramirez in Indy, but subsequent to that he's not heard a thing. Makes you think that they saw something in that rehabbed knee they didn't like one iota.

It's a shame too, Manny Ramirez is as strong as an ox and he's a nasty run blocker. I liked him in the 3rd or 4th

musphinzfan
03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Take John Wendling inthe third....he's the best free safety of entire draft

:ban: :caveman:

Frayser
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Wow. Interesting tidbit. Thanks for the heads up, Boom. Now I guess I have to rework the whole thing.

And by the way, beware of the Gunners next year. :cooldude:

Frayser
03-26-2007, 07:53 PM
It's a shame too, Manny Ramirez is as strong as an ox and he's a nasty run blocker. I liked him in the 3rd or 4th

Yeah, I had loved everything I had read about him. Knees are rough man. I'm a year out from reconstructive surgery that effectively ended my soccer career. Gotta get the other knee done eventually too. Then I have total replacements to look forward to in about two decades, maybe less.

Boomer
03-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Wow. Interesting tidbit. Thanks for the heads up, Boom. Now I guess I have to rework the whole thing.

And by the way, beware of the Gunners next year. :cooldude:

No worries.

Arsene's got some outstanding youngsters, for sure. But it's Liverpool's time.

Frayser
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
No worries.

Arsene's got some outstanding youngsters, for sure. But it's Liverpool's time.

They are going to be fun to watch, for sure. I'm a bit worried about Denilson because he seems to be too much of a Fabregas clone. It just doesn't seem to "work" when they are together.

Liverpool would probably be my #2. Anybody but Man U and Chelsea.

Geforce
03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Where did you hear that?
Kolb was late to his Pro Day weight in because he was meeting a Dolphins assistant coach. :wink:

Finole
03-26-2007, 09:25 PM

1. Leon Hall
2a. Sidney Rice
2b. Manuel Ramirez

I'm torn.

As much as I like Ramirez, I don't think the Fins are going to draft a Guard this year (unless we steal Kasey Studdard in the 7th).

Most teams carry 4-5 Guards on their roster. Last year, these were our Guards...

Jeno James (injured)
Bennie Anderson (injured)
Kendyl Jacox
Toniu Fonoti
Joe Berger (injured)
Joe Toledo (injured)

...and then we moved L.J. Shelton to RG.

Yes, we lost James, Anderson, and Fonoti. But we haven't lost Jacox yet. We still have Shelton. And we recently signed Chris Liwienski. Also, we'll get Berger and Toledo back from injury.

Also, I believe the Fins are going to draft a Center and move Hadnot back to Guard (as well as backup Center).

So we've got 6 Guards on our team right now...

Hadnot
Shelton
Liwienski
Berger
Toledo
Jacox

Shelton and Hadnot will most likely start. Toledo is the wild card. Liwienski provides solid depth at both Guard positions and right tackle.

So forget about Grubbs, Blalock, Sears, Beekman, Ramirez, and Alleman. It ain't happening. And neither is Yanda, Free, Marten, or Frye because they're all better suited to play Guard in the NFL.

Ryan Harris is a possibility if he's still on the board in the 4th.

Tackle and Center. That's my prediction.

Phanatical
03-26-2007, 09:59 PM

1. Leon Hall
2a. Sidney Rice
2b. Manuel Ramirez

I'm torn.

Trend Edwards would be my pick if it was just between those two players.

Phanatical
03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
As much as I like Ramirez, I don't think the Fins are going to draft a Guard this year (unless we steal Kasey Studdard in the 7th).

Most teams carry 4-5 Guards on their roster. Last year, these were our Guards...

Jeno James (injured)
Kendyl Jacox
Toniu Fonoti
Joe Berger (injured)
Joe Toledo (injured)

Yes, we lost James, Anderson, and Fonoti. But we haven't lost Jacox yet. We still have Shelton. And we recently signed Chris Liwienski. Also, we'll get Berger and Toledo back from injury.

Also, I believe the Fins are going to draft a Center and move Hadnot back to Guard (as well as backup Center).

Hadnot
Shelton
Liwienski
Berger
Toledo
Jacox

Shelton and Hadnot will most likely start. Toledo is the wild card. Liwienski provides solid depth at both Guard positions and right tackle.

So forget about Grubbs, Blalock, Sears, Beekman, Ramirez, and Alleman. It ain't happening. And neither is Yanda, Free, Marten, or Frye because they're all better suited to play Guard in the NFL.

Exactly right!!! The team needs tackles!!! Center would be nice but I don't really think any of the Centers this year are worth a high draft pick. The two best OT's that are available this year IMO are in my sig.

GO PHINS~!

Danny
03-26-2007, 11:27 PM

1. Leon Hall
2a. Sidney Rice
2b. Manuel Ramirez

I'm torn.

I don't like those picks anyway.....If I'm going o-line in the 2nd I'd want Kalil or Blaylock if one of them is there....I'm not realy sold on Rice...much rather have Ginn at 9.

Ozzy rules!!

Boomer
03-27-2007, 07:00 AM

Jeno James (injured)
Kendyl Jacox
Toniu Fonoti
Joe Berger (injured)
Joe Toledo (injured)

Hadnot
Shelton
Liwienski
Berger
Toledo
Jacox

Dude, Joe Berger is a Dallas Cowboy.

They absolutely will draft at least 1 guard, possibly 2, one with the ability to play OC, like Alleman or Beekman.

MrEd
03-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Yeah, NFL and ESPN are even reporting that they think Edwards may be the 3rd QB taken in this draft. They stated that some teams in the middle of the 1st round are contemplating trying to trade down to the back of the 1st round and taking him in the 1st round! Whoa!

I don't want to go that far...but every single year, it never fails. Players that no draft analysts had falling farther than the late 1st or early 2nd end up still there in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Same with players that many mocks had going in the 3rd round, going in the 1st!

This is why I would slow down on that trade up bandwagon. And according to Cameron and Mueller's comments this past week, MIA isn't trading up. At least not for Joe Thomas.

Mueller and Cameron both have stated that they feel that they can win with the LT's that they have "currently" on the roster. Mueller mentioned Alabi, Shelton, and Carey. And Cameron mentioned "not needing a franchise LT" to win. That they have "good" ones on the roster now.

So, I would think that the Levi Brown and Joe Thomas proposals are just wishful thoughts.

Mueller only stated "possibly" taking a LT "somewhere" in the draft to develop. And by the 3 Mueller mentioned, we need one more to fill out the 4 OT's a team carries on the roster.

A starting LT, a backup, a starting RT, and his backup.

We have Shelton, Alabi, and Carey. Toledo is a possible OT as well. But I think MIA wants him at one of the G spots. So look for MIA to draft a backup/developmental LT "after" the 1st round.

As far as QB? I only see MIA using a post 1st round pick on a QB.

Finole
03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Dude, Joe Berger is a Dallas Cowboy.

Whoa. When did that happen?

They absolutely will draft at least 1 guard, possibly 2, one with the ability to play OC, like Alleman or Beekman.

It really depends on L.J. Shelton. I have no first hand knowledge, so I can't say anything for sure, but if Shelton is our starting RG, then I don't see us drafting a Guard.

RG - Shelton
backup - Chris Liwienski

LG - Rex Hadnot
backup - Joe Toledo

We're all set at Guard.

Now, look at our tackle situation...

RT - Vernon Carey
backup - Anthony Alabi

LT - NOBODY
backup - NOBODY

Finole
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Mueller and Cameron both have stated that they feel that they can win with the LT's that they have "currently" on the roster. Mueller mentioned Alabi, Shelton, and Carey. And Cameron mentioned "not needing a franchise LT" to win. That they have "good" ones on the roster now.

You can't believe anything anybody says prior to the draft. They're all playing mind games.

So, I would think that the Levi Brown and Joe Thomas proposals are just wishful thoughts.

I would not be surprised at all if we took Levi Brown #9 overall. Tremendous run-blocker. And Houck will improve his pass pro.

Mueller only stated "possibly" taking a LT "somewhere" in the draft to develop. And by the 3 Mueller mentioned, we need one more to fill out the 4 OT's a team carries on the roster.

A starting LT, a backup, a starting RT, and his backup.

We have Shelton, Alabi, and Carey. Toledo is a possible OT as well. But I think MIA wants him at one of the G spots. So look for MIA to draft a backup/developmental LT "after" the 1st round.

I don't think Shelton is going to be our LT. He was terrible at LT last year. Terrible. I never want to see him at LT again. But he seemed very solid at RG. In fact, I could see him developing into a Pro Bowler at RG (under Houck).

Alabi has an outside chance. I haven't seen Alabi play LT, so I can't really say either way, but he's had 2 years to crack the starting lineup of a very weak o-line. That's a red flag if you ask me.

Carey at RT is a safe bet.

So if Shelton is playing RG, we need two tackles: A starting LT, and a backup tackle.

As far as QB? I only see MIA using a post 1st round pick on a QB.

I agree. Stanton, Edwards, or Kolb.

Boomer
03-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Berger was waived a while ago, durig the season.

Finole
03-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Berger was waived a while ago, durig the season.

Oh, that explains it. I blocked out most of last season.

Pocoloco
03-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Miami is one of the few teams that hasn't scouted Trent Edwards much at all. I would say we'd lean towards Free, who is one of those monstrous athletic tackles that Houck would love to coach.