PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel with Patrick Willis at #9?

diego's fins
03-25-2007, 10:21 PM
He is an excellent lb who just ran a very good at his workout (4.37 I think). A very productive player and a tackle machine.
He also won the butkus award.
I know we all love zach thomas but we have to accept he is one injury away from retiring and we need to find a replacement. willis is a great value at 9.
We have more pressing needs, I know, but I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed at all with him being our pick.
Can you imagine this line-up?
DE Joey porter
DTkeith traylor
DT vonnie holliday
DE jason taylor
OLB Channing crowder
MLB Zach thomas
OLB Pat willis
We can have this lineup until Zach retires and then pat could take over at MLB

what do you think???

Stitches
03-25-2007, 10:27 PM
Willis would take Crowder's spot this season, he wouldn't play strong side.

I'd be perfectly happy with Willis at 9 though.

Frayser
03-25-2007, 10:29 PM
We don't really play a lineup like that anymore, and Porter could not play defensive end. Our front seven for next year is essentially this:

DE - Matt Roth
DT - Keith Traylor
DE - Vonnie Holliday

OLB - Joey Porter
ILB - Zach Thomas
ILB - Channing Crowder
OLB - Jason Taylor

Basically, what I am saying is you can't add Willis to the lineup and play Jason Taylor at end. Removing Roth makes our line to small.

That being said, Willis is a phenomenal player and good value at #9 ala Laron Landry. He could fill in for several positions when guys needed breaks or get hurt, and he can take Zach's spot in another 2 or 3 years.

Namor
03-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Willis is a great LB,but # 9 is to high for him.
He will go 15 thru 20 and the signing bonus is
way lower than what the 9th pick wiil get.

Frayser
03-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Willis will not make it past Buffalo or Carolina. He is borderline Top 10 coming off his impressive workouts.

VT Dolphan
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
He wouldn't be a real smart pick for us. Our LB corp is one of the best in the league right now as is, so I'd imagine there wouldn't be a whole lot of playing time to go around. I have little doubt that he'll become a very good linebacker in the NFL, just for another team. We have bigger needs to fill right now.

TexanPhinatic
03-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Way more pressing needs with players that are rated higher anyway-would be very dissapointed if Willis was drafted, even if we trade down I wouldnt consider him.
Not a bad player, but I dont believe in drafting for depth in the first round, as Willis would be for awhile until we could open a spot for him.

finfan54
03-26-2007, 06:41 AM

The winds of change are a blowin my friend. Dont get caught with your pants down in a tornado.

finfan54
03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Way more pressing needs with players that are rated higher anyway-would be very dissapointed if Willis was drafted, even if we trade down I wouldnt consider him.
Not a bad player, but I dont believe in drafting for depth in the first round, as Willis would be for awhile until we could open a spot for him.

Willis is great player. Thats all you need to know. He can play outside or inside and take over this D with authority. If its about drafting the BPA, then it doesnt matter if we have ZAch because zach is getting old and his hyperbolic chamber cant save his *** for 20 yeards of hard smakin football.

Sean
03-26-2007, 06:48 AM
I wouldn't mind Willis

cnc66
03-26-2007, 07:00 AM
we have one of the best LB corps in the league and YOU want to pick another one with our first pick.... no thanks, not today

Geforce
03-26-2007, 07:01 AM

There are not that many players rated higher than Willis right now. If he was underrated, it was because he played at Ole Miss instead of Florida or LSU. His workout just confirmed what many of us already knew. Willis is as instinctive as he is fast.

dolphin23
03-26-2007, 07:52 AM
I dont mind getting him only if Landry is out and of course Quinn. Theres just nobody else that I can think of who is worthy of being pick #9 Willis would probably be the BPA when #9 comes up. Brown to me has bust written all over him IMO, plus when he gets into the NFL I have a feeling that hes probably more suited to play RT. Staley to me is a way better prospect than him at this point.
And I dont want Branch or Okoye either at 9. If we don't get either of the first 2 players I mentioned then definetly we have to trade down and aquire more picks then and in that case im all for getting Okoye or even Brown.

finfan54
03-26-2007, 07:57 AM
I dont mind getting him only if Landry is out and of course Quinn. Theres just nobody else that I can think of who is worthy of being pick #9 Willis would probably be the BPA when #9 comes up. Brown to me has bust written all over him IMO, plus when he gets into the NFL I have a feeling that hes probably more suited to play RT. Staley to me is a way better prospect than him at this point.
And I dont want Branch or Okoye either at 9. If we don't get either of the first 2 players I mentioned then definetly we have to trade down and aquire more picks then and in that case im all for getting Okoye or even Brown.

I feel you cant miss with Landry or Willis or Quinn or Brown. It all depends on which direction Mueller wants to go but if you want to play lets make a deal, you start to tell Buffalo that we are very interested in willis. Thats how deals get done.

PyroDOLFAN
03-26-2007, 08:08 AM
we already have a good linebacker lineup. What this team needs is an offense that will rate higher than 20th overall. We got rid of 6 linemen, 2 running backs, tightend, and a quarterback. Yea Willis is a good pick up but we have more pressing needs.

MustangFinFan
03-26-2007, 09:22 AM
i mean its not terrible...yea it will be great for a 3-4. but we already have one of the best LB corps out there...we have MANY other needs to fulfill. with the 1st pick, i dont think Willis would be wise. maybe next year we can use our 1st pick on Thomas's successor. altho Willis DOES seem like a once in a lifetime...4.37 for an ILB??? dang!!

colmax
03-26-2007, 09:34 AM
I totally understand that many seem that offense is the way to go in the 1st, and in most cases, I would agree. But think about this, drafting Willis almost insures that Miami will continue to have great LB play for the future. Miami MAY win now, but it is unlikely that Miami is in SB contention even with a great year from whomever is taking snaps from center.

I am just looking at this realistically. IF Willis is there, and barring a tradeup or down, I think Miami has to take him if Landry is gone, maybe even before Landry. New England is reported to be high on this guy. Buffalo has had inteviews with him. Hell, even Detroit is really high on him! I would draft him just for the fact that NE wants him. Miami does not want to play against this guy twice a year, I can tell you that much.

Remember this, Willis was chosen as the SEC Defensive Player of the Year last season, and he and Landry play in the SEC West, which says coaches thought Willis was the better overall player. This holds water because these are the guys that played against Willis week in and week out. Tuberville (Auburn's coach) was reported as saying that he is glad he does not have to play against Willis again (after a game) because Willis reminded him of Ray Lewis when he coached at Miami. That's one helluva compliment.

Zach is old.....damn old. I love him, but damn he's old. He is not going to be there forever, I do not care how many chefs he has making his meals. I mean, it was reported that he weighed in at less than 230 last year! His days are limited. Channing Crowder is a knee away from going bye-bye. He was considered a stretch in the 3rd because of the injuries. We got lucky thusfar. Joey Porter still has a few years left, but he's not young by any means. JT has back issues that made him contemplate retirement last year. This LB corps needs to get younger like yesterday. Even if Willis plays sparingly to learn the system, he would become instrumental in keeping the LB corps fresh throughout the duration of the season. This defense is what makes this team. It has been that way for years now. Let's keep this defensive thing going and see what Cam Cam can do on the offensive end. He is the first offensive-minded coach Miami has had since.......??? Ever?

Willis is not a stretch by any means. I have heard rumblings of him going top-5. Does that mean he will go there? Of course not, but it should say quite a bit about his ability.

I think what separates Willis from everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in this draft is his demeanor off of the field. He is a 1st class character if there ever was one. He has had so many reasons to give up, but he hasn't. From his mother leaving him at the age of 5, to his father beating on him and his siblings, to his brother's drowning last year, he has simply had to put up with so much and somehow has had the strength to remain steadfast. He plays with a neverending motor, and the supposed holes in his game can be coached. EVERY PLAYER has holes in his game. I mean, he played at Ole Miss. Not saying that our (Ole Miss') coaching staff is incompetent, I'm just saying....

All-in-all, Willis will be productive and not give any flak to his coaching staff or teammates. He will never have an "off-the-field" issue, and is pro-active in the community. You just can't pass on talent and character like that!

Minibull
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I think what separates Willis from everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in this draft is his demeanor off of the field. He is a 1st class character if there ever was one. He has had so many reasons to give up, but he hasn't.

After thinking about it, I'm much more for taking him at the #9 pick then I was before reading his story. It's definately not a need for us but you don't get a chance at a true character guy like him very often. People who can help solidify a locker room as a true leader and be heavily into community service can only be a plus to a team.

However, I think the much more likely scenario is that Lions trade picks with the Dolphins so they can get him at #9.

Motion
03-26-2007, 09:51 AM
I could definitely live with it. He's a great player with amazing potential.

ckparrothead
03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Inasmuch as I want a relatively rare player at #9 that will have a big long term impact on the team, Pat Willis would be an excellent selection.

Almost all roster considerations drop to nil in the long term. When you're picking a guy top 10 I believe it is ok to have more than a three-year focus.

Picking Willis will give us two guys to man the Mike and Will spots when Zach retires. In 2007, Willis would very likely take over Crowder's spot on first and second downs, and Zach would likely come off the field in favor of Crowder on third downs and nickel packages.

I find zero lack of justification for using the pick on Willis. The only question is whether he's a rare enough player to take at #9. I think he might be. He's been a star at the position for a while now...and he only proved that he's got a rare combination of physical potential with the Combine and Pro Day stuff. He's a competitor on the field though, monstrous play maker. Get him and you have Zach's successor. And honestly, who says Channing Crowder is untradeable? If Zach wants to play another couple of years and you think Joey Porter can play in nickel packages alongside Willis...you know, that has to be a consideration too. You bring aboard impact players, upgrading positions as you can and doing your best to monetize excess value on your roster through trades.

If you just engage in simple hole-filling, you find holes springing up faster than you can fill them.

Pick Patrick Willis and your football team just got better. The argument, is would there be another guy there that is better than Willis that you could pick that would make your team even better.

alen1
03-26-2007, 11:27 AM
get pat willis n then trade zach for a second or mayb even first ........ i love zach but hes old n horrible at blitzing, ill take willis

colmax
03-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Pick Patrick Willis and your football team just got better. The argument, is would there be another guy there that is better than Willis that you could pick that would make your team even better.

Do you think, with what little everyone knows about this upcoming draft, that there would be a better option sans Johnson, Russell, Adams, Thomas, or Quinn?

Motion
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Do you think, with what little everyone knows about this upcoming draft, that there would be a better option sans Johnson, Russell, Adams, Thomas, or Quinn?

IMO Nelson/Landry and Willis would be about even. Although I would say an Elite MLB such as Willis is more rare than a Elite Safety, although equally important.

colmax
03-26-2007, 12:09 PM
IMO Nelson/Landry and Willis would be about even. Although I would say an Elite MLB such as Willis is more rare than a Elite Safety, although equally important.

Nelson is probably going to be on the at 9 board regardless (from what I am reading). Who knows about the other two?

Play GM for the moment. If all 3 were on the board at 9, what do you do? All options (trade out, etc.) are open....assuming Miami stays at 9.

See, I am lost. I do not know if I'd go with Landry or Willis. I really like both. I cannot say I know much about Nelson, but I have heard good things.

Stitches
03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Nelson is probably going to be on the at 9 board regardless (from what I am reading). Who knows about the other two?

Play GM for the moment. If all 3 were on the board at 9, what do you do? All options (trade out, etc.) are open....assuming Miami stays at 9.

See, I am lost. I do not know if I'd go with Landry or Willis. I really like both. I cannot say I know much about Nelson, but I have heard good things.

I would pick Willis over either safety, because of our depth and age at LB, and because of the importance of MLBs (elite ones) compared to safeties.

Pompy
03-26-2007, 02:40 PM
FinFan54 I like your draft.... smart and need and value oriented.... good picks ...

Motion
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I would pick Willis over either safety, because of our depth and age at LB, and because of the importance of MLBs (elite ones) compared to safeties.

See I disagree, I think you can get by with average MLBs but not at Safety, of course it depends heavily on the defensive system but generally I think so.

Jaj
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd personally go for a more pressing position of need even if it's on the defensive side of the ball. Secondary and the extremely difficult to get 3-4 DE are considerations.

We really need a cornerback. It's not even funny yet many reject the notion.

Myles Fynch
03-26-2007, 03:48 PM
We really need a cornerback. It's not even funny yet many reject the notion.

I don't reject the notion... I just wish there was a CB at #9 I could feel good about.

When we had Madison and Surtain and our QB threw a pick, we had a semi-decent chance of getting it back for him. We also put away some teams with a timely interception. Haven't been able to do either of those things in a while, unless JT did it. Our secondary is lousy. Bell is ok, and it remains to be seen about where and how well Jason Allen will play. But corner is definitely a need.

Jaj
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Hall is a legitimate top ten pick. He's right there in consideration at the 9th overall selection. I can see why people want to pick Willis, I just think there is the added bonus of immediate full-time starter in Hall over Willis.

I'd be happy witha 100 different directions this pick can go in. Off the bat I can list all the players that I'd be happy with

1- Quinn
2- Hall
3- Landry so-so, but I like him as a prospect
4- Nelson so-so
5- Willis
6- Revis so-so
7- Carriker
8- Branch

In no particular order I would be happy with all those guys. I'd be be even happier with the ones without a so-so rating.

Miami472
03-26-2007, 04:09 PM
we ned to worry about O-Line and secondary be for thniking about backups to the great players we have now

musphinzfan
03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
If we have Landry off the board at 9 and cant find a trade down partner I wouldnt mind either Nelson or Willis.

It would be to hard to pass up a guy like Willis even with Zach on the team.

PJack
03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
My order for 9 would be:
1) Quinn
then assuming Thomas, CJ, Adams, and Russell are gone I go BPA which I view as follows:
2) Landry - bigger need than 3)
3) Willis/Anderson/Okoye - would be happy with anyone of these up to this point and slightly disapointed if we had to go 4)-6)
4) Hall just don't think he's in the elite among a strong CB class. Quality CB will likely be found in the 2nd.
5) Brown - just does not strike me as a LT but more of a RT or guard. Worried about slow feet with most teams going with speed rushing DE's
6) Branch - just not a fan after watching combine and reading about his workouts.

Dolfan11
03-26-2007, 06:43 PM
a.) Porter will not play and does not play DE. Droping down on two hands from time to time to rush the QB is different than playing DE every down.
b.) I think Willis is projected to be a MLB not an OLB. I think he deserves the top 10, but no with the Fins after signing Porter.

Frayser
03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I think CK says it perfectly. In my opinion, there are three guys who could potentially be there at #9 who all represent great value in that they are Top 10 talents, fit our team well, and offer near-guaranteed long term solutions at important positions. Those three are Laron Landry, Patrick Willis, and Adam Carriker. When I see Landry, I think of an Ed Reed/Rodney Harrison sort of impact safety in our 3-4. When I see Willis, I think of an even better version of Zach (great instincts for plays) with slightly more appropriate measurables for the 3-4. When I see Carriker, I think of a Richard Seymour type end who might not go to the Pro Bowl but will be effective at breaking up plays and freeing our LBs.

Some of you don't see any of those positions as true need areas. While I acknowledge that is reasonable, I do think it is a bit short-sighted. Tell me that if you had a crystal ball that showed you that the above three players would develop into the players I compare them to you would still want to take a Levi Brown because LT is more of a need this year.

Unless we trade down, we are stuck with a Top 10 pick . . . and also a Top 10 salary. Because of that, I think we need to come at our pick from much more of a BPA position than a needs position. At #9, it just so happens that there are not a lot of great values on offense. You have two QBs, an LT, a RB, and a WR likely to be taken before us. That means there are going to be some GREAT defensive talents left for us to pick. Since we run a 3-4, we have very specific needs when it comes to our defense. Those three guys I think represent the best value for us over the long term, considering our specific needs.

The wildcard in all of this is Amobi Okoye. He is a work in progress, and it remains to be seen whether he could truly develop into the NT that we need to anchor the whole defense or whether he would ultimately be a 4-3 DT that we try to use as a 3-4 DE.

colmax
03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
I think CK says it perfectly. In my opinion, there are three guys who could potentially be there at #9 who all represent great value in that they are Top 10 talents, fit our team well, and offer near-guaranteed long term solutions at important positions. Those three are Laron Landry, Patrick Willis, and Adam Carriker. When I see Landry, I think of an Ed Reed/Rodney Harrison sort of impact safety in our 3-4. When I see Willis, I think of an even better version of Zach (great instincts for plays) with slightly more appropriate measurables for the 3-4. When I see Carriker, I think of a Richard Seymour type end who might not go to the Pro Bowl but will be effective at breaking up plays and freeing our LBs.

Some of you don't see any of those positions as true need areas. While I acknowledge that is reasonable, I do think it is a bit short-sighted. Tell me that if you had a crystal ball that showed you that the above three players would develop into the players I compare them to you would still want to take a Levi Brown because LT is more of a need this year.

Unless we trade down, we are stuck with a Top 10 pick . . . and also a Top 10 salary. Because of that, I think we need to come at our pick from much more of a BPA position than a needs position. At #9, it just so happens that there are not a lot of great values on offense. You have two QBs, an LT, a RB, and a WR likely to be taken before us. That means there are going to be some GREAT defensive talents left for us to pick. Since we run a 3-4, we have very specific needs when it comes to our defense. Those three guys I think represent the best value for us over the long term, considering our specific needs.

The wildcard in all of this is Amobi Okoye. He is a work in progress, and it remains to be seen whether he could truly develop into the NT that we need to anchor the whole defense or whether he would ultimately be a 4-3 DT that we try to use as a 3-4 DE.

Nice post and well said.

I totally agree with you in that there will be great defensive players when Miami picks at 9. Miami absolutely has to go BPA at that point because Brown, IMO, is a pretty big reach at 9.

It is funny that many here initially thought that Willis was a reach at 9 and now think otherwise. I have said all along that Willis is not the sexiest pick, but will bring great value (on and off the field) to the team at that position. The thing about Willis is that he can play OLB or ILB. He was an OLB in his first 2 years of college. I have seen where some have said that he cannot play OLB. Makes me want to laugh. Willis is a special player, and unless you have seen the guy play/met him, you will never know. He went to Ole Miss, by damn! I just hope that an AFC East team does not draft him!

Frayser
03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Nice post and well said.

I totally agree with you in that there will be great defensive players when Miami picks at 9. Miami absolutely has to go BPA at that point because Brown, IMO, is a pretty big reach at 9.

It is funny that many here initially thought that Willis was a reach at 9 and now think otherwise. I have said all along that Willis is not the sexiest pick, but will bring great value (on and off the field) to the team at that position. The thing about Willis is that he can play OLB or ILB. He was an OLB in his first 2 years of college. I have seen where some have said that he cannot play OLB. Makes me want to laugh. Willis is a special player, and unless you have seen the guy play/met him, you will never know. He went to Ole Miss, by damn! I just hope that an AFC East team does not draft him!

If Chicago indeed does swap 1sts with Washington for Lance Briggs, I think Willis could definitely be there pick. You are right. He can play outside (more in a 4-3 than 3-4), and that is what they will need to replace since they would be losing Briggs.

dolphin23
03-27-2007, 04:21 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty much on the same page on this one, BPA all the way.

ChuckKLINGBEIL
03-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Despite the negative things I've heard about Levi Brown, it still seems like lots of teams are thinking of potentially taking him before us....
All this stuff could just be smokescreens to what will really play out...

Elliott 1
03-27-2007, 06:48 AM
He is an excellent lb who just ran a very good at his workout (4.37 I think). A very productive player and a tackle machine.
I know we all love zach thomas but we have to accept he is one injury away from retiring and we need to find a replacement. willis is a great value at 9.
We have more pressing needs, I know, but I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed at all with him being our pick.
DE Joey porter
DTkeith traylor
DT vonnie holliday
DE jason taylor
OLB Channing crowder
MLB Zach thomas
OLB Pat willis

what do you think???

The Willis possibility goes like this:

Petersen slides to the 9 and we trade down with Buffalo or Green Bay.

However, I think we are taking Ginn if we trade down and he is still there.

dolphinzen
03-27-2007, 06:53 AM
The Willis possibility goes like this:

Petersen slides to the 9 and we trade down with Buffalo or Green Bay.

However, I think we are taking Ginn if we trade down and he is still there.

Why wouldn't Chicago go for Peterson since Benson isn't really a home run hitter.

RHoffman
03-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Willis is a stud...and an obvious replacement for Zach down the road...no reason that Taylor can't play end...or that Miami can't vary packages...you go for value in the draft not filling needs...Willis is that value.

MrEd
03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
DE Joey porter
DTkeith traylor
DT vonnie holliday
DE jason taylor
OLB Channing crowder
MLB Zach thomas
OLB Pat willis

what do you think???

:sidelol:

trate121hb
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
i think willis will be a beast....play like demco ryans did last yr......but i wouldnt like the pick bc we have alot of other needs to fill

MrEd
03-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Despite the negative things I've heard about Levi Brown, it still seems like lots of teams are thinking of potentially taking him before us....
All this stuff could just be smokescreens to what will really play out...

possibly. but i doubt it. mueller and cameron really sound like they aren't impressed by levi brown. and quite frankly, i wasn't impressed by him in the senior bowl or combines either

colmax
03-27-2007, 07:55 PM
If Chicago indeed does swap 1sts with Washington for Lance Briggs, I think Willis could definitely be there pick. You are right. He can play outside (more in a 4-3 than 3-4), and that is what they will need to replace since they would be losing Briggs.

Not taking anything away from Briggs, but I think that you can put almost anyone next to Urlacher and still have a very good D. With that said, I do not think Chicago makes this trade simply because no one in the top 6 is proven. Lance Briggs is a proven playmaker.

As far as Willis, I do not think he goes to the Bears if they happen to make the trade. With a pick that high, they could possibly get a playmaker on offense who could make a pretty good impact next year. Of course, they could trade out and salvage more picks.

Can a team trade out of a pick that is a traded pick? Anyone know?

Stitches
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Can a team trade out of a pick that is a traded pick? Anyone know?

Of course you can.

jlfin
03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
He wouldn't be a real smart pick for us. Our LB corp is one of the best in the league right now as is, so I'd imagine there wouldn't be a whole lot of playing time to go around. I have little doubt that he'll become a very good linebacker in the NFL, just for another team. We have bigger needs to fill right now.

ZT is going to be 35 yo. How much longer do you think he can play at this level?
Willis would be a very smart pick IMO. I would be happy with Quinn (if he falls), Adrian Peterson, Landry or Willis. Each of those guys would make a bigger impact (both immediate and long term) than Ginn or Levi Brown.
With respect to Peterson, if he falls to 9 we better take him. He's going to be a special back and he has high value. The Phins could trade him OR trade Ronnie Brown to the Packers or Giants much like the Colts did several yrs back with Marshall Faulk and Edge James.

colmax
03-28-2007, 12:46 AM
ZT is going to be 35 yo. How much longer do you think he can play at this level?
Willis would be a very smart pick IMO. I would be happy with Quinn (if he falls), Adrian Peterson, Landry or Willis. Each of those guys would make a bigger impact (both immediate and long term) than Ginn or Levi Brown.
With respect to Peterson, if he falls to 9 we better take him. He's going to be a special back and he has high value. The Phins could trade him OR trade Ronnie Brown to the Packers or Giants much like the Colts did several yrs back with Marshall Faulk and Edge James.

You know, I like Peterson, too. I really like Brown, so I am saying no on Peterson. Of course I am not GM.

Do you think Miami takes Peterson if he's there? Hmmmm......

diego's fins
03-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Miami won't take peterson, they may just pick him to trade him minutes later to another team in exchange for a pick or two but they definitely won't keep him on the roster. if they do draft and keep him, that's not a smart move in my point of view

colmax
03-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I do not think they would take Peterson, but stranger things have happened in the draft, like Bush going to the Saints instead of the Texans......real butthead move by the Texans' FO.

Kthurmus23
03-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I wouldnt be dissapointed if we took Willis. However there are bigger needs at the moment, plus Crowder is a ILB that would most likely move back when Zach goes.

miamiron
03-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I totally understand that many seem that offense is the way to go in the 1st, and in most cases, I would agree. But think about this, drafting Willis almost insures that Miami will continue to have great LB play for the future. Miami MAY win now, but it is unlikely that Miami is in SB contention even with a great year from whomever is taking snaps from center.

I am just looking at this realistically. IF Willis is there, and barring a tradeup or down, I think Miami has to take him if Landry is gone, maybe even before Landry. New England is reported to be high on this guy. Buffalo has had inteviews with him. Hell, even Detroit is really high on him! I would draft him just for the fact that NE wants him. Miami does not want to play against this guy twice a year, I can tell you that much.

Remember this, Willis was chosen as the SEC Defensive Player of the Year last season, and he and Landry play in the SEC West, which says coaches thought Willis was the better overall player. This holds water because these are the guys that played against Willis week in and week out. Tuberville (Auburn's coach) was reported as saying that he is glad he does not have to play against Willis again (after a game) because Willis reminded him of Ray Lewis when he coached at Miami. That's one helluva compliment.

Zach is old.....damn old. I love him, but damn he's old. He is not going to be there forever, I do not care how many chefs he has making his meals. I mean, it was reported that he weighed in at less than 230 last year! His days are limited. Channing Crowder is a knee away from going bye-bye. He was considered a stretch in the 3rd because of the injuries. We got lucky thusfar. Joey Porter still has a few years left, but he's not young by any means. JT has back issues that made him contemplate retirement last year. This LB corps needs to get younger like yesterday. Even if Willis plays sparingly to learn the system, he would become instrumental in keeping the LB corps fresh throughout the duration of the season. This defense is what makes this team. It has been that way for years now. Let's keep this defensive thing going and see what Cam Cam can do on the offensive end. He is the first offensive-minded coach Miami has had since.......??? Ever?

Willis is not a stretch by any means. I have heard rumblings of him going top-5. Does that mean he will go there? Of course not, but it should say quite a bit about his ability.

I think what separates Willis from everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, in this draft is his demeanor off of the field. He is a 1st class character if there ever was one. He has had so many reasons to give up, but he hasn't. From his mother leaving him at the age of 5, to his father beating on him and his siblings, to his brother's drowning last year, he has simply had to put up with so much and somehow has had the strength to remain steadfast. He plays with a neverending motor, and the supposed holes in his game can be coached. EVERY PLAYER has holes in his game. I mean, he played at Ole Miss. Not saying that our (Ole Miss') coaching staff is incompetent, I'm just saying....

All-in-all, Willis will be productive and not give any flak to his coaching staff or teammates. He will never have an "off-the-field" issue, and is pro-active in the community. You just can't pass on talent and character like that!

Thank you so much.
It was a pleasure reading your post...outstanding job

Players with Pat's ability and character dont come around very often and can you imagine him working with Zach on a daily basis learning from the best and using his incredible athletic ability and Zach's work ethic...you just might have yourself a probowler for the next 10 years...My God this could only be a win-win situation.

I know this team has other needs but to pass up on this opportunity to have the best player(by far) at his position in college and how much more he could improve with Porter,Taylor,and Zach there to push him his ceiling would be unbelievable as would his domination and play!!

JBinSD
03-28-2007, 06:14 PM

Dude... That makes absolutely no sense. If Brown is a bust -- he is a bust at #9 or #20. You stating that he is a bust and then being okay with him a few picks later is asinine.

JBinSD
03-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Dude... That makes absolutely no sense. If Brown is a bust -- he is a bust at #9 or #20. You stating that he is a bust and then being okay with him a few picks later is asinine.

colmax
03-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Thank you so much.
It was a pleasure reading your post...outstanding job

Players with Pat's ability and character dont come around very often and can you imagine him working with Zach on a daily basis learning from the best and using his incredible athletic ability and Zach's work ethic...you just might have yourself a probowler for the next 10 years...My God this could only be a win-win situation.

I know this team has other needs but to pass up on this opportunity to have the best player(by far) at his position in college and how much more he could improve with Porter,Taylor,and Zach there to push him his ceiling would be unbelievable as would his domination and play!!

Thank you very much for the compliment.

I've been behind Willis from day one, and I feel as though I have had to change minds because he was under the radar. Now everyone is on the bandwagon. I love it! He truly deserves the recognition he has been getting as of late. FINALLY!!!