PDA

View Full Version : MSoft Bashes Wii Owners....

Phinz420
03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
John Rodman, group product manager for the Xbox platform and Xbox Live, takes a quick shot at Nintendo in an interview discussing the newly revealed Xbox 360 Elite. “We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing,” he said. “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

James L. McQuivey, an analyst at Forrester Research (http://www.nytimes.com/mem/MWredirect.html?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=FORR), said that Microsoft hoped to encourage customers to spend more money downloading movies and games, which require considerable hard-drive space.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/28/technology/28xbox.html?ex=1332734400&en=249f5966d09eb762&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

:rolleyes2

mor911
03-29-2007, 12:02 PM
:lol:

Phinz420
03-29-2007, 12:07 PM

I admit it got a quick laugh out of me. But I was mostly laughing at MS for their mis characterization of the Wii. Now I have seen both Sony and MS bash Nintendo..but for what? For innovating the market instead of just putting another "high spec console" out there?

I never realized that there were people of all ages buying up the PS3 and the X360 like its being done with the Wii.

Motion
03-29-2007, 12:15 PM
:shakeno: MS must be some jealous mofos, they always seem to be taking shots or trying to run smear campaigns against Nintendo or Sony. Newsflash, you would be jack**** in this industry if it wasn't for those two.

Phin-o-rama
03-29-2007, 12:20 PM
:shakeno: MS must be some jealous mofos, they always seem to be taking shots or trying to run smear campaigns against Nintendo or Sony. Newsflash, you would be jack**** in this industry if it wasn't for those two.

LOL

oh...you're serious

Motion
03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
LOL

oh...you're serious

Not really :tongue:

But it is true :cooldude:

TrueDolFan
03-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I'll laugh at that as soon as MS puts out something half as good as Zelda.

Mike13
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
and yet the system continues to sell.

Motion
03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
and yet the system continues to sellout.

Everywhere!

mor911
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
:rolleyes2

Dolfan5000
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
lol
doesn't seem to matter since microsoft is right

Slappy8800
03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
what? hes right. Nintendo is general is aimed at kids.

Phinz420
03-29-2007, 01:21 PM

I wouldn't say that at all. There are a lot of people who own the 360 and the Wii, and his comment wasn't about Nintendo in General but the Wii Owners themselves. Characterizing Wii owners as "under 14".

Just because Nintendo makes content for the younger generation, doesn't mean that they specifically target them with the entire library of games or that the console is targeted at them either.

To me, the Wii targets people of all ages. I don't see how anyone could not grip with that reality.

Sethdaddy8
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I give Nintendo a ton of credit. They don't have the corporate muscle to compete with empires like Sony or Microsoft, but they found a nitch in the industry, and created a desirable product. Cheers to Nintendo.

TrueDolFan
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM

It is a shame so many people are so adverse to Nintendo, simply because they believe the hype that Nintendo is all "kiddie games".

Yes, Nintendo does have a lot of games aimed at children. But Nintendo also is the single best video game developer in the world.

Even though there are countless Pokemon and Kirby type games aimed at children, I'll still want to play their other first party titles.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM

The Wii isn't even aimed at kids. It's target audience is moms, and people who don't usually play games. They already knew people who play games, and kids would be interested because it's Nintendo. Their targets are the non-gamers who they had yet to ever own their products.

arsenal
03-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Stitches
03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
It is a shame so many people are so adverse to Nintendo, simply because they believe the hype that Nintendo is all "kiddie games".

Yes, Nintendo does have a lot of games aimed at children. But Nintendo also is the single best video game developer in the world.

Even though there are countless Pokemon and Kirby type games aimed at children, I'll still want to play their other first party titles.

That is certainly debatable.

Phinz420
03-29-2007, 01:56 PM

As are all opinions. :wink:

TrueDolFan
03-29-2007, 02:12 PM

True. Not everybody recognizes the genius of Miyamoto. For me, anything Miyamoto touches is worth my money.

What isn't debatable is that Nintendo is the single most successful developer in the world. They put out 19 games that sold over 1 million units last year.

TrueDolFan
03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't say that at all. There are a lot of people who own the 360 and the Wii, and his comment wasn't about Nintendo in General but the Wii Owners themselves. Characterizing Wii owners as "under 14".

Just because Nintendo makes content for the younger generation, doesn't mean that they specifically target them with the entire library of games or that the console is targeted at them either.

To me, the Wii targets people of all ages. I don't see how anyone could not grip with that reality.

People LOVE to hate, man. That's the only explanation.

Scatman
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM

hmmmm considering Zeldas wayyyyy over rated..... i think imo they already have..... so thats justa matter of opinion.

i like my wii and all, but damn they gotta make some flipping games for the thing..... ive had it sitting there since Christmas... and only played it a few times with my daughter. i got Zelda, and i think its a good game - dont get me wrong.... a lot of work went into that thing..... but i definetly think if it wasnt zelda people wouldnt look at it the same way.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
True. Not everybody recognizes the genius of Miyamoto. For me, anything Miyamoto touches is worth my money.

What isn't debatable is that Nintendo is the single most successful developer in the world. They put out 19 games that sold over 1 million units last year.

I would like to see the numbers for EA.

Edit(see bolded): That's how Nintendo doesn't have to put out top quality all the time(by that I mean state of the art, etc). There are plenty of people that will buy games and be bias regardless of quality. Not saying Miyamoto puts out inferior products, just saying even if he did it wouldn't stop it from selling. I mean, I'm pretty big into FF(more than any other series), but I won't buy every one Square-Enix puts out if I don't think it's worth my money.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 02:33 PM
As are all opinions. :wink:

:yes:

Motion
03-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I could play Wii Sports all day. :D

Agent51
03-29-2007, 02:40 PM

I would say Nintendo targets a younger generation. Just because Adults enjoy it too doesn't mean it isn't targeted at a younger demographic. What Nintendo games are specifically targeted at adults? I'm not talking about when they had some Resident Evils for GC either. I mean what games has Nintendo specifically dveloped and targeted adukts with? I can't think of any. Nintendo is successful, and adults do like their stuff, but its more of a novelty thing with adults. Like all the Mario stuff and those related games (Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, etc), they are popular with adults because they have all the characters we grew up with. If you take Mario and all those characters out of those games, how many adults would still rave about them? You don't see adults salivating over Fusion Frenzy, which is similar to Mario Party (a bunch of quick mini-games). Why? because it doesn't capitalize on their love for nostalgia.

Outside of Zelda I don't see one game that adults have said "wow, I HAVE to get a GC or Wii for that!" (MAYBE that Metroid game too), and even Zelda is basically a kids game (my friends 9 year old son has it and beat it in like 3 days).

Phinz420
03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
I would say Nintendo targets a younger generation. Just because Adults enjoy it too doesn't mean it isn't targeted at a younger demographic. What Nintendo games are specifically targeted at adults? I'm not talking about when they had some Resident Evils for GC either. I mean what games has Nintendo specifically dveloped and targeted adukts with? I can't think of any. Nintendo is successful, and adults do like their stuff, but its more of a novelty thing with adults. Like all the Mario stuff and those related games (Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, etc), they are popular with adults because they have all the characters we grew up with. If you take Mario and all those characters out of those games, how many adults would still rave about them? You don't see adults salivating over Fusion Frenzy, which is similar to Mario Party (a bunch of quick mini-games). Why? because it doesn't capitalize on their love for nostalgia.

Outside of Zelda I don't see one game that adults have said "wow, I HAVE to get a GC or Wii for that!" (MAYBE that Metroid game too), and even Zelda is basically a kids game (my friends 9 year old son has it and beat it in like 3 days).

My point is that Nintendo targets all ages, and those who criticize Nintendo for "targeting youth" are singling out specific games to make their argument for them. Well two can play that game.

How does Resident Evil franchise being on Nintendo not count for adult themed games? There is a new RE coming out only for the Wii as well, so its not just the GC.

Then theres other games like Mortal Kombat, The Godfather, Metroid, Splinter Cell, Sadness(Gothic Horror), Disaster, Manhunt 2, Scarface, Far Cry, Red Steel, and even Medal of Honor & Call of Duty 3.

The simple fact is Nintendo does not single out one audience like various fans of MS and Sony would like to claim.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
My point is that Nintendo targets all ages, and those who criticize Nintendo for "targeting youth" are singling out specific games to make their argument for them. Well two can play that game.

How does Resident Evil franchise being on Nintendo not count for adult themed games? There is a new RE coming out only for the Wii as well, so its not just the GC.

Then theres other games like Mortal Kombat, The Godfather, Metroid, Splinter Cell, Sadness(Gothic Horror), Disaster, Manhunt 2, Scarface, Far Cry, Red Steel, and even Medal of Honor & Call of Duty 3.

The simple fact is Nintendo does not single out one audience like various fans of MS and Sony would like to claim.

The Wii developers even said they were targeting Moms, and people who don't usually play games when they made the Wii. So while they don't try and single one audience out, it can certainly be the case that their target audience is not the 16-24 male demographic.

Motion
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Wii is huge at retirement homes :D

Mike13
03-29-2007, 03:08 PM
The Wii developers even said they were targeting Moms, and people who don't usually play games

And it worked, my dad kicked my *** in Wii Sports Baseball.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
And it worked, my dad kicked my *** in Wii Sports Baseball.

I never said it didn't work or was the wrong approach, all I'm saying is that the traditional gamer was not their target audience.

theghost
03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
All systems suck and they are all the best.....that about covers it.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
All systems suck and they are all the best.....that about covers it.

I wouldn't use either extreme actually.

rob19
03-29-2007, 03:56 PM
im just 600$ away from owning all 3 :lol:

see my thinking is... I love my wii... they do need more games for it though... i haven't touched it since i finished Zelda (which i thought was an excellent game)... but you cant ONLY have a Wii.. i feel its a complementary system to either the 360 or PS3... which ever you prefer.

TrueDolFan
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM

Whaaaaaaat? You can't be talking about Twilight Princess.

That game is 50-60 hours long. That kid would've had to play for over 16 hours a day!

Nearly every video game magazine and website named Twilight Princess the game of the year in 2006. There must be a lot of little kids reviewing games, right? Either that, or there actually ARE people who play games who can distinguish great gameplay from mature themes and/or good graphics.

While you say that adults who play Nintendo games are only into it because of the novelty, you couldn't be more wrong. Fun games are fun games, no matter how old you are.

I'll draw an analogy that all can associate with:

It's like Walt Disney World. On the surface, Walt Disney World is aimed at kids. Kids LOVE Disney World, man. They eat that stuff up. They love the bright colors, the characters, and the fun little rides they can go on. To a kid, it's the greatest place on Earth! But, adults love Disney World just as much! They just love it for different reasons. Adults love Disney World because it is a truly amazing place. We marvel at the amount of detail that goes into everything we see. We are amazed by the simple brilliance of Disney. There are even state-of-the-art roller coasters for us to enjoy!

That's kind of how Nintendo is.

Stitches
03-29-2007, 05:18 PM

That game is 50-60 hours long. That kid would've had to play for over 16 hours a day!

Nearly every video game magazine and website named Twilight Princess the game of the year in 2006. There must be a lot of little kids reviewing games, right? Either that, or there actually ARE people who play games who can distinguish great gameplay from mature themes and/or good graphics.

While you say that adults who play Nintendo games are only into it because of the novelty, you couldn't be more wrong. Fun games are fun games, no matter how old you are.

It's like Walt Disney World. On the surface, Walt Disney World is aimed at kids. Kids LOVE Disney World, man. They eat that stuff up. They love the bright colors, the characters, and the fun little rides they can go on. To a kid, it's the greatest place on Earth! But, adults love Disney World just as much! They just love it for different reasons. Adults love Disney World because it is a truly amazing place. We marvel at the amount of detail that goes into everything we see. We are amazed by the simple brilliance of Disney. There are even state-of-the-art roller coasters for us to enjoy!

I like Nintendo. Disney world on the other hand I perceive as not up to snuff.

Boston
03-29-2007, 05:41 PM

HALO anyone?

Windwaker sucked my balls dude, ugliest ****ing game ever made.:mad:

Bruzer
03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
HALO anyone?

Windwaker sucked my balls dude, ugliest ****ing game ever made.:mad:

Halo is one of most overrated games ever thats in my opinion of course. Although way I look at why does it matter what other people think of wii, xbox, playstation, halo, zelda or any other game/system for that matter as long as the person that buys it like for me I love playing the wii and zelda i could careless if people think zelda is overrated I love it and the wii I have fun playing it. So I guess thats my 2 cents.

Skeet84
03-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow thats a burn

mor911
03-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Halo is over rated. Zelda is over rated. Final Fantasy is over rated. Mario is over rated. Metroid is over rated. Fable is over rated. (God of War isn't :lol: ) The truth is, every big franchise gets cheese points just for their name. Every big franchise gets hailed by the media and fanboys everywhere. It's just the way it is.

rob19
03-29-2007, 09:39 PM
.... i liked fable...

dolphan117
03-29-2007, 10:05 PM

Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Nintendo initially intended its next-gen console to go on sale for under US $100 - but certain features pushed up the price...................
He explained that much of the thinking behind the Wii came from trying to imagine what would convince mothers to buy a console for their kids - "We talked about basic concepts and goals, not about the technical specifications of the console.
"Our goal was to come up with a machine that moms would want - easy to use, quick to start up, not a huge energy drain, and quiet while it was running," Miyamoto said.http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21162
It was built for moms. Moms. A momie friendly system. :dphan:

Phin-o-rama
03-29-2007, 10:17 PM
god of war is overrated and looks 'meh'

:)

Medieval954
03-29-2007, 11:05 PM
John Rodman, group product manager for the Xbox platform and Xbox Live, takes a quick shot at Nintendo in an interview discussing the newly revealed Xbox 360 Elite. “We don’t feel like the Wii customer and the Xbox customer are the same thing,” he said. “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”I think John Rodman feels the heat from Nintendo cutting their worldwide lead in half in just 4 months. I'd do some damage control and be afraid too.

However, "Nintendo is kiddie" is a Sega argument from the 16-bit generation. They should try something less ignorant since it wasn't true 15 years ago and isn't true now.

By the way, how's Sega doing?

mor911
03-29-2007, 11:19 PM
worked on the gamecube

Mike13
03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I never said it didn't work or was the wrong approach, all I'm saying is that the traditional gamer was not their target audience.

I didn't say that you said it wouldn't work.
I just said "the approach works"

I don't see why people got to be hating, save that fire for the Bills, Jets and Pats.

Bruzer
03-30-2007, 05:26 AM
Well my mom plays games like god of war and grand theft auto she plays all that **** so i guess around here wii is no different than a ps3 or xbox on whos playing it.

Stitches
03-30-2007, 08:57 AM
I didn't say that you said It wouldn't work.
I just said "the approach works"

I don't see why people got to be hating, save that fire for the Bills, Jets and Pats.

Sorry, I tend to get defensive because I have poor self esteem.

Dolfan5000
03-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Well my mom plays games like god of war and grand theft auto she plays all that **** so i guess around here wii is no different than a ps3 or xbox on whos playing it.
Your mom isn't the stereotypical mom then.

Agent51
03-30-2007, 09:20 AM

Those games have nothing to do with who NINTENDO targets, they are all 3rd party games (except Metroid, that is Nintendo's right?). My point was Nintendo as a company, menaing mainly the games they develope and even the system design, is geared more towards the younger audience. Like I said, I know adults enjoy them too, they cover the gamut from children to adults, but the games are specifically marketed towards the younger, more simplistic gamer, adults liking them is a given based on the nostalgia factor. Obviously the 3rd party games like RE and all of those may appeal to adults, but those aren't Nintendo developed games and therefore don't fit into the "Nintendo, as a company, is geared more towards the younger audience" dispute.

Agent51
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM

Yes, the brand new Zelda, Twighlight Princess, on the gamecube. I went over there on a Sunday when he had just gotten it and when I went back over in Thursday he had already beaten it, so 5 days.

And just because every game magazine gave it a 10 doesn't mean it is perfect. Plenty of great games have gotten low scores and crappy games have gotten high scores. I'm not saying Zelda is crappy (or great for that matter), I'm just saying just because a magazine rates it something doesn't mean it is. To me a perfect game is grounbreaking in both visuals, gameplay, ingenuity and concept. Also, for me, Zelda wasn't any of that. The visuals were nothing special, there wasn't any groundbreaking new feature that the video game world has never seen (aside from controlling the stuff with the "Wii-mote", but EVERY game for the Wii does that), and the concept was the same as it has been since the very first Zelda. Admittedly, I've never actually PLAYED the game, I've just watched it being played, but from what I saw, there was no reason that game deserved a perfect rating.

Off the top of my head I can only think of ONE game that deserves a perfect 10 (at the time of it's release anyway, now it seems a bit obsolete) and that would be GTA 3. It was the first time we had free reign over and entire city (which seemed massive at the time) in the 3d view, and it actually had a great story. That is an excellent example of new features, ingenuity, and concept.

I'm not wrong about the novelty. How many adults would pick up Mario Party if it were titled differently and didn't have any of those licensed characters? Hardly any IMO. Same thing with ALL of those titles that the adults play. Like I said before, Fusion Frenzy is basically the same game minus all the nostalgic characters and THAT isn't hugely popular with adults.

The Disney anaology actually helps MY point. Adults like it for it's novelty. They (well, WE since I guess I'm technically an adult) grew up on Micky and Goofy and all of those characters. I HIGHLY doubt adults would go to Disneyland/world if you took out the name Disney and all of the licensed characters and just had some rides and a big castle. It would be just another amusement park if you did that, people wouldn't go there and call it "magical" and all of that. The reason it's referred to that way right now is because of the childhood memories it envokes, and becasue it is basically a living version of the cartoons they grew up with.

THAT is how I view Nintendo.

I'm not saying all the games aren't fun, I'm just saying Nintendo definately uses that nostalgia to it's advantage when trying to draw initial interest from adults. Mario Party wouldn't get a second glance from anyone over the age of 10 on store shelfs if you called it, say, "Mini-Game Party" and didn't have Mario and all his frineds on the cover or in the game. It may be a fun game, I'm not disputing that, I'm just saying it is marketed in a way where the flashy colors and fun characters draw kids in, but adults will show interest too since they grew up with those characters and they are the characters who first introduced them to the world of video games.

Samphin
03-30-2007, 09:40 AM
See, even if the charactization was/is right about Nintendo, it makes no sense as to why Microsoft would say that. I will say this, there is a TON of money to be made on 13 and under children. If Microsfot is willing to bypass that entire market and poopoo Nintendo's presence in the teen and adult markets (where is is WIDELY POPULAR), than they are setting themselves up for failure.

This is coming from an XBOX360 owner who also doesn't have a Wii either. I simply don't see why anyone would want to take potshots at Nintendo right now considering they are outselling everyone at a record pace.

mor911
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
guys guys guys... It's all PR. It's all marketing. Get over it. Microsoft probably had 20 analysts discuss this before making a statement. Nintendo and Sony does the same thing when their ready... Why?

Because people do what we're doing now. It stirs the crowd. It creates a frenzy, and people choose sides. Microsoft just wants to target their audience (the 16ish - 30 i think) and try to create more 360 fanboys.

I think Sony and Nintendo have much more blindly faithful to-the-death (fanboys?) fans than Microsoft. They're just trying to get in. It's called PR.

Bruzer
03-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I can't wait to get my 360 though becuase I do want to get mass effect that game is gonna be awesome. Wii can hold me till then though no problem.

theghost
03-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I just wanna say coleco vison was way better than atari

TrueDolFan
03-30-2007, 11:32 AM
guys guys guys... It's all PR. It's all marketing. Get over it. Microsoft probably had 20 analysts discuss this before making a statement. Nintendo and Sony does the same thing when their ready... Why?

Because people do what we're doing now. It stirs the crowd. It creates a frenzy, and people choose sides. Microsoft just wants to target their audience (the 16ish - 30 i think) and try to create more 360 fanboys.

I think Sony and Nintendo have much more blindly faithful to-the-death (fanboys?) fans than Microsoft. They're just trying to get in. It's called PR.

You hit the nail on the head. And fanboys they will get. The type of moronic fanboys who truly believe that one system is for "men" and another is for "boys". Let's be honest. What is so manly about playing video games?

Why can't people understand that a great game is a great game, regardless if it is on 360, Wii, or PS3, or PC, etc...?

You know, all this hate on "kid" games reminds me of a phase a lot of kids go through in their young lives. A lot of kids will stop watching cartoons, because they want to be a "big" kid. They feel that if they stop watching cartoons, it makes them more of a "grown-up". That's what I believe drives a lot of the younger (14 to early 20's) gamers out there to dismiss Nintendo altogether and label it "kids" games.

To me, I just want to have fun. I don't care if the game is akin to Blues Clues or Teletubbies. If it's fun, I'll play it. No shame in my game.

mor911
03-30-2007, 11:33 AM
You hit the nail on the head. And fanboys they will get. The type of moronic fanboys who truly believe that one system is for "men" and another is for "boys". Let's be honest. What is so manly about playing video games?

Why can't people understand that a great game is a great game, regardless if it is on 360, Wii, or PS3, or PC, etc...?

You know, all this hate on "kid" games reminds me of a phase a lot of kids go through in their young lives. A lot of kids will stop watching cartoons, because they want to be a "big" kid. They feel that if they stop watching cartoons, it makes them more of a "grown-up". That's what I believe drives a lot of the younger (14 to early 20's) gamers out there to dismiss Nintendo altogether and label it "kids" games.

To me, I just want to have fun. I don't care if the game is akin to Blues Clues or Teletubbies. If it's fun, I'll play it. No shame in my game.You have also hit the nail on the head.

Phin-o-rama
03-30-2007, 11:42 AM
the problem is the wii has one great game...zelda....thats it

and for the record, sony and nintendo fanboys are just as bad as a microsoft one ffs....

and maybe this was this one spokesman's opinion? does he have to represent all of microsoft? how many crazy statements have we seen made by sony that were bs...? do they represent all of SCEA?

Agent51
03-30-2007, 11:57 AM

To me, I just want to have fun. I don't care if the game is akin to Blues Clues or Teletubbies. If it's fun, I'll play it. No shame in my game.

I don't know if this is intended for me or not, but 1, I am not a fanboy, 2, I never said videogames were manly and one system was solely for "men" and the other "boys", and 3, I NEVER said any of these games weren't great games.

What I SAID was going back to the original point that Nintendo markets more toward the younger generation and I've never seen them specifically market towards an older demographic. I never once said it was wrong, I never said their games suck, I never said adults don't play Wii, and I never said Wii was for "boys" and the rest for "men".

Nobody is disputing the quality of the games here (at least I'm not), the entire point here is that Nintendo MARKETS more stuff that is kid-friendly than the other two.

You're right, a great game is a great game regrdless of the system. However, I personally don't like Zelda nor do I think it's a perfect 10, and it has nothing to do with the systems, it has to do with the game. I'm sure people out there DO think it's a perfect 10, and that's fine, they aren't right or wrong, and neither am I, as it is an opinion and a matter of taste. However, just because someone is a fan of Zelda and this is a new one doesn't mean they should think it is a perfect 10. Like I said before, to me a perfect 10 game needs to be innovative both technically and graphically, as well as be original. There have been games I have loved to death that I wouldn't rate a perfect 10, because they don't blow the industry out of the water. Zelda doesn't blow the industry out of the water, while it may be a great game, there is nothing about it that hasn't been seen or done before, and being a well-done new installment of a storied franchise doesn't make a game a perfect 10.

Get Up And Go
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
23 year old old Wii owner here. (nonFanboy)

1. I have played a bunch of Wii games that I don't consider kiddie.

2. I just hate the "cocky statements. Yes, the 360 and PS3 are entertainment hubs. I don't care about that. I want to play games, thats it.

patinthehat
03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
who even cares about this crap?

all we need to know is that we are all huge nerds.

mor911
03-30-2007, 01:16 PM

all we need to know is that we are all huge nerds.:yes: :hi5:

VanDolPhan
03-30-2007, 01:22 PM
guys guys guys... It's all PR. It's all marketing. Get over it. Microsoft probably had 20 analysts discuss this before making a statement.

Highly doubtful. This comes off as an off the cuff response. Most Microsoft management have spoken well about Nintendo right up to Bill Gates. They just don't see it as direct competition because they market to different crowds.

Phin-o-rama
03-30-2007, 01:25 PM

all we need to know is that we are all huge nerds.

No...these are huge nerds

8O5RD0MjyxY

TrueDolFan
03-30-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know if this is intended for me or not, but 1, I am not a fanboy, 2, I never said videogames were manly and one system was solely for "men" and the other "boys", and 3, I NEVER said any of these games weren't great games.

What I SAID was going back to the original point that Nintendo markets more toward the younger generation and I've never seen them specifically market towards an older demographic. I never once said it was wrong, I never said their games suck, I never said adults don't play Wii, and I never said Wii was for "boys" and the rest for "men".

Nobody is disputing the quality of the games here (at least I'm not), the entire point here is that Nintendo MARKETS more stuff that is kid-friendly than the other two.

You're right, a great game is a great game regrdless of the system. However, I personally don't like Zelda nor do I think it's a perfect 10, and it has nothing to do with the systems, it has to do with the game. I'm sure people out there DO think it's a perfect 10, and that's fine, they aren't right or wrong, and neither am I, as it is an opinion and a matter of taste. However, just because someone is a fan of Zelda and this is a new one doesn't mean they should think it is a perfect 10. Like I said before, to me a perfect 10 game needs to be innovative both technically and graphically, as well as be original. There have been games I have loved to death that I wouldn't rate a perfect 10, because they don't blow the industry out of the water. Zelda doesn't blow the industry out of the water, while it may be a great game, there is nothing about it that hasn't been seen or done before, and being a well-done new installment of a storied franchise doesn't make a game a perfect 10.

It wasn't intended for you. It was all about John Rodman's quote, “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

That will attract the kind of morons I was talking about.

Now, on to you. I hear what you are saying, but I disagree with your criteria for judging a "perfect 10" game. The criteria is different for everybody. While you think that in order for a game to get a perfect 10, it needs to change the industry (ala Mario 64), others might think that in order for a game to score a perfect 10, the game needs cartoon nudity, and plenty of it.

I think that you said it best when you said what you did in bold up there. What is a perfect 10 for you might only be suitable as a beverage coaster for me, and vice versa.

Agent51
03-30-2007, 02:04 PM
It wasn't intended for you. It was all about John Rodman's quote, “We think that as soon as the Wii customer turns 14 they want something else.”

That will attract the kind of morons I was talking about.

Now, on to you. I hear what you are saying, but I disagree with your criteria for judging a "perfect 10" game. The criteria is different for everybody. While you think that in order for a game to get a perfect 10, it needs to change the industry (ala Mario 64), others might think that in order for a game to score a perfect 10, the game needs cartoon nudity, and plenty of it.

I think that you said it best when you said what you did in bold up there. What is a perfect 10 for you might only be suitable as a beverage coaster for me, and vice versa.

Oh, I thought you were calling ME a moron, I was like "WOA, this is going south fast" :cooldude:.

I agree on the different criterias for a perfect 10 thing. I have just always thought a game that gets a perfect rating should meet most of, if not all, of those standards. Like I said, there have been games that I have played my system into the ground with, games I have been addicted to and absolutely loved and played every free second playing, but I still couldn't fairly give them a "perfect" score because of the reasons I listed, even though I may have thought it was the best game ever.

Speaking of nudity in video games, remember Leisure Suit Larry? How you could "hack" the XBox one (maybe the PC too, I never played it on PC though) and get actual, uncensored stuff :lol: