PDA

View Full Version : Why O-Line with our first day Picks?

Phinsdude
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
I know it's a different regime, but I don't understand why people keep thinking if we draft O-lineman on the first day, we are going to sure up our O-line for years? We have put ourselves back by wasting picks on O-lineman.
Taylor Whitley, Seth Mckinney, Wade Smith, and Vernon Carey. Those are all first day guys in the recent drafts. Vernon is becoming a solid player, not a star. The other 3 aren't on the team. Why is it any different that if we go O-Line O-Line O-Line in this draft. I think we need to go BPA whether it's defensive or offensive. No trading up, maybe even trading down. This team lacks big time players. We've let players like Anquan Boldin go for Eddie Moore, Drew Brees go for Jamar Fletcher, traded a 2nd round pick to New England for their third, because we needed more 3rd round O-lineman. Vernon Carey actually cost us a fourth as well. It's time for a change. If the player is worthy of the pick, take him, but projects and needs can only set a team back.

Geforce
03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
We've only drafted 5 O-Linemen on the first day since 2000. That tells me we have tried to build an offensive line with free agents. That has not worked out too well. Now lets try building the offensive line through the draft to see how it work.

Playmakers can only do so much by themselves. They need the "big uglies" up front to give them time and space to be effective.

JFoxx
03-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I really think Cam/Meuller will grab play-makers in the early rounds and then use rounds 4-7 to get a bunch of linemen from lesser known programs. They've had success getting decent guys in the mid to late rounds and if they grab a number of them, it increases the chances of finding perhaps 2-3 decent guys for the future. I really think this is why we're loading up on so many later picks. Why we are trying to get a 6th for Mare and why we're going to try and save the 6th for Wilkerson. Even the extra 7th we got with the Welker deal could be useful in this philosophy.

miami234ever
03-30-2007, 05:19 PM
I really think Cam/Meuller will grab play-makers in the early rounds and then use rounds 4-7 to get a bunch of linemen from lesser known programs. They've had success getting decent guys in the mid to late rounds and if they grab a number of them, it increases the chances of finding perhaps 2-3 decent guys for the future. I really think this is why we're loading up on so many later picks. Why we are trying to get a 6th for Mare and why we're going to try and save the 6th for Wilkerson. Even the extra 7th we got with the Welker deal could be useful in this philosophy.

Yea I think that's what they'll do too.

jlfin
03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
I know it's a different regime, but I don't understand why people keep thinking if we draft O-lineman on the first day, we are going to sure up our O-line for years? We have put ourselves back by wasting picks on O-lineman.
Taylor Whitley, Seth Mckinney, Wade Smith, and Vernon Carey. Those are all first day guys in the recent drafts. Vernon is becoming a solid player, not a star. The other 3 aren't on the team. Why is it any different that if we go O-Line O-Line O-Line in this draft. I think we need to go BPA whether it's defensive or offensive. No trading up, maybe even trading down. This team lacks big time players. We've let players like Anquan Boldin go for Eddie Moore, Drew Brees go for Jamar Fletcher, traded a 2nd round pick to New England for their third, because we needed more 3rd round O-lineman. Vernon Carey actually cost us a fourth as well. It's time for a change. If the player is worthy of the pick, take him, but projects and needs can only set a team back.

If Carey had played for a winning team last season he would have garnered some votes for the pro bowl. I don't believe anyone has proposed trading up for any O-lineman or reaching for one. However, if the value is there, you take it.

finfan54
03-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Jimmy Johnson is that you?

finfan54
03-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Yea I think that's what they'll do too.

yeah, i think we are going to draft a WR because Chris chambers sucks and everyone else is a nobody.

WR's make teams great and Olinemen are just pieces of crap.

OneHondo
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Yea, the Jets are a good example of not picking OL on the first day. Look at the two they got on the first day, they sure blew it there.

Jaj
03-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Depends what part of the offensive line. Saying drafting OL on the first day is a waste is a poor statement. If you say it is a waste drafting a guard or a right tackle I can understand that, however the number of successful LTs not drafted in the 1st round is extremely low.

OneHondo
03-30-2007, 09:30 PM
There are two reasons this draft will be different.

1.) We finally have most of our draft picks to work with.

2.) We finally have an actual General Manager handling the draft who knows personnel. Not someone posing as a GM who's ego makes him think he is a great judge of personnel

Phanatical
03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
There are two reasons this draft will be different.

1.) We finally have most of our draft picks to work with.

2.) We finally have an actual General Manager handling the draft who knows personnel. Not someone posing as a GM who's ego makes him think he is a great judge of personnel

I'm hoping you are right, we haven't had a really good draft for a long time.

VT Dolphan
03-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Why should we spend high first day picks on offensive lineman? Ask the Jets how that worket out for them last year...

Brown42000
03-31-2007, 05:39 PM
If Vernon Carey had played for San Diego or Indianapolis he would have made the Pro Bowl but because he played for bad team he did not make it.

phinsfan1221
03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Yea, the Jets are a good example of not picking OL on the first day. Look at the two they got on the first day, they sure blew it there. could not say it better, 2nd and 3rd rounds will have some OL that we cannot pass on

PJack
03-31-2007, 09:00 PM
We already made two good moves this offseason by dumping our high price OL underacheivers and by not overpaying for the free agents available. It's one thing to give Hutchinson 48 mil as the guy is the best at his position. Other teams were giving average lineline the same dollars which will cost them dearly in the long run. Now we do it the right way and build through the draft. I don't want to reach, but there should be some very good O-line help available in rounds two and three.

NorFlaFin
03-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Paraphrasing Gary StevensCan't make Chicken Salad outa Chickensh!t.

phinsfan1221
03-31-2007, 09:17 PM
We already made two good moves this offseason by dumping our high price OL underacheivers and by not overpaying for the free agents available. It's one thing to give Hutchinson 48 mil as the guy is the best at his position. Other teams were giving average lineline the same dollars which will cost them dearly in the long run. Now we do it the right way and build through the draft. I don't want to reach, but there should be some very good O-line help available in rounds two and three.

well said

SgtPhin
03-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I can't believe I just read that WR's make a team and OL's are just crap! If you don't have an OL you don't have a team. Your QB has a bull'seye on his a$$ and your WR's can't catch passes that aren't thrown because your QB got killed. Without the big uglies to protect your high dollar prima donna's you're going to get what Detroit and Houston, and to some extent, we got last year.