PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayock vs. Mel Kiper Jr.

Boone
03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Who's the better draft analyst?

PhinsRDbest
03-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Boomer:D

TexanPhinatic
03-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Seems to me that there are alot of Kiper haters on this board, but I like him better. Mayock comes off as an arrogant *** to me. Complete opinion though.

Both are pretty solid as far as the draft goes, its their jobs.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-31-2007, 02:55 PM
They both have a lot of knowledge. I personally like Mayock. :wink:

finfan54
03-31-2007, 02:57 PM
I like mayock better cus he is associated with NFL Network instead of ESPN.

Mayock tends to favor guys and just put down others without looking at what they did in college. Instance: Jay Cutler being better than Vince Young. Nice try, never happen. Jay Cutler will be a fine QB, just not the winner that Young is. This is where Kiper can be better sometimes, he leaves himself open for a while and can change his opinion whereas Mayock tends to lock in and stay locked in.

Mayocks lisp is annoying and yes he does come acrossed as arrogant but arrogance is not correctly defined in this industry. Arrogance is just saying everyone else is full of it and your opinion is the only one that matters. I dont think these guys are like that, they just have conviction about what they say. In the earlier years, Kiper was considered arrogant but he like most people change as they get older.

Boone
03-31-2007, 02:58 PM
I wished I had posted a poll for this....

*Mods please feel free to add it for me*

Dolphin39
03-31-2007, 02:59 PM
I like both, but slightly perfer Mayock. BTW, he has never seemed arrogant to me? In fact, I think Kiper would give you that impression more than Mayock.

DaBills4life
03-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Mike Mayock was the only person I saw to make a mock draft that had Buffalo selecting Donte Whitner.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-31-2007, 03:01 PM
I like both, but slightly perfer Mayock. BTW, he has never seemed arrogant to me? In fact, I think Kiper would give you that impression more than Mayock.
Agreed brother, well said.:wink:

rafael
03-31-2007, 03:11 PM
I prefer Mayock. I think he's still willing to be critical when warranted. I ordered Kiper's book last year and it seems he makes sure never to say anything bad about anyone. I like to hear both the good and the bad about prospects.

Fin Fan in Cali
03-31-2007, 04:22 PM
I wished I had posted a poll for this....

*Mods please feel free to add it for me*
Done Bro!:wink:

Sean
03-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Both are good, but i prefer Kiper

CANDolphan
03-31-2007, 04:44 PM
I like mayock better cus he is associated with NFL Network instead of ESPN.

Mayock tends to favor guys and just put down others without looking at what they did in college. Instance: Jay Cutler being better than Vince Young. Nice try, never happen. Jay Cutler will be a fine QB, just not the winner that Young is. This is where Kiper can be better sometimes, he leaves himself open for a while and can change his opinion whereas Mayock tends to lock in and stay locked in.

Mayocks lisp is annoying and yes he does come acrossed as arrogant but arrogance is not correctly defined in this industry. Arrogance is just saying everyone else is full of it and your opinion is the only one that matters. I dont think these guys are like that, they just have conviction about what they say. In the earlier years, Kiper was considered arrogant but he like most people change as they get older.

I love how Vince Young is being praised as this end all be all quarterback.

Cutler and Young are both rookies, they both had tremendous rookie years.. and Cutler had a better rookie year as a pure passer..

Comp/Att
81/137 TD/INT 9/5 YDS 1001 Rating 88.5
184/357 TD/INT 12/13 YDS 2199 Rating 66.7

Boone
03-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Done Bro!:wink:
Thanks friend! :www:

RUDEbyallMEANS
03-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Looking at the TOP 20 lists of Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper, the person's list that I liked the MOST was Boomers.

In_Flames
03-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I prefer Mayock...

Paul 13
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
I like em both, but the way Mayock says "burst" just isn't natural. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

IdahoPhin
03-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Boomer:D

I agree with that. :wink:

Ronnieisabeast
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
I've always like Mayock more for a few reasons. 1. He has game tape for every strenght/weakness he says a player has. Which shows he reallys has done his homework. 2. He doesn't let how the outside world views of a player effect his view of a player(something Kiper gets caught up in).For example, nobody esle has jon benson as high as Mayock and if I recall I think Mayock had Jarrett low before everybody had him dropping. Bottom line: Neither is accurate as they should be, but I trust Mayock more.

NorFlaFin
03-31-2007, 09:06 PM
Mayock - Dude played in the league. Kiper to my knowledge never played.

phinsfan1221
03-31-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml kiper all the way how long has mayock been evaluating the draft i've only seen him on the nfl channel the past 2 years

Boone
04-01-2007, 12:18 AM
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/top100/index.shtml kiper all the way how long has mayock been evaluating the draft i've only seen him on the nfl channel the past 2 years
From 2005-present served with NFL Network, Mayock has served as a college football analyst for ABC Sports. Prior to ABC, he has called college football action for Fox Sports Net during the 2000 season, after spending four years (1996-99) as a member of CBS Sports' broadcast team -- during which time he served as both a game analyst (1996, '97 and '99) and lead sideline reporter (1998).

Good enough for me. :up:

Mayock played football and baseball at Boston College from 1976 through 1981 and was football team captain as a senior in 1980. He earned third team All-America honors and first team all-East honors. He was named the ECAC defensive player-of-the-year as a senior and won the Thomas F. Scanlan Award. Mayock posted 12 career interceptions, including two against John Elway and Stanford in a 30-13 BC win over the Cardinal in 1980.

He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 10th round (#265) of the 1981 NFL Draft. His playing career was with the New York Giants from 1982 to 1984.

I don't believe Kiper ever played football.

phinsfan1221
04-01-2007, 12:42 AM
From 2005-present served with NFL Network, Mayock has served as a college football analyst for ABC Sports. Prior to ABC, he has called college football action for Fox Sports Net during the 2000 season, after spending four years (1996-99) as a member of CBS Sports' broadcast team -- during which time he served as both a game analyst (1996, '97 and '99) and lead sideline reporter (1998).

Good enough for me. :up:

Mayock played football and baseball at Boston College from 1976 through 1981 and was football team captain as a senior in 1980. He earned third team All-America honors and first team all-East honors. He was named the ECAC defensive player-of-the-year as a senior and won the Thomas F. Scanlan Award. Mayock posted 12 career interceptions, including two against John Elway and Stanford in a 30-13 BC win over the Cardinal in 1980.

He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 10th round (#265) of the 1981 NFL Draft. His playing career was with the New York Giants from 1982 to 1984.

I don't believe Kiper ever played football. so i guess you take art shell because he played in the NFL over bill belichick that did not play in the NFL as head couch

PeterNorth
04-01-2007, 01:44 AM
I think they're both good in certain aspects, but if I had to pick one, I would take Mayock, even though he is annoying to look at.

Kiper is great if you want more of a numbers or measureables based approach, whereas Mayock tends to relate how players and their skill will translate to the NFL a bit better. Of course both guys get things wrong sometimes, but who doesn't? Plenty of league scouting people and GM's do every year as well.

Boone
04-01-2007, 03:06 AM
so i guess you take art shell because he played in the NFL over bill belichick that did not play in the NFL as head couch
Now your comparing apples to oranges...

CANDolphan
04-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Now your comparing apples to oranges...

Uh, not really... physical ability has nothing to do with one's grasp of the game nor their ability to evaluate talent. Comments like yours and the one he was making fun of are just plain ignorant

Boone
04-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Uh, not really... physical ability has nothing to do with one's grasp of the game nor their ability to evaluate talent. Comments like yours and the one he was making fun of are just plain ignorant
:lol: priceless...

GCD960
04-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I like em both, but the way Mayock says "burst" just isn't natural. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

its also weird how he says crack back block

finfan54
04-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I love how Vince Young is being praised as this end all be all quarterback.

Cutler and Young are both rookies, they both had tremendous rookie years.. and Cutler had a better rookie year as a pure passer..

Comp/Att
81/137 TD/INT 9/5 YDS 1001 Rating 88.5
184/357 TD/INT 12/13 YDS 2199 Rating 66.7

You cant stop Vince Young. He has too many ways in which he can do it. He is cool under pressure. He does it time and again.

I dont give a damn about stats when in the end you lose. Cutler came in and made mistakes and his team fell out of the playoffs when they were right in the driver seat. young came in when they were already losers and he single handedly beat his opponents just like he did in the National Championship game. How long will it take people to just suck up their white pride and give it up for a Black QB who can take it to the house?