PDA

View Full Version : Quinn at 9? Nahhhh he won't be there . . . What about Jamarcus?

Kdawg954
03-31-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm really starting to slowly believe that we may have a better shot at Russell than Quinn. Quinn is a polished QB that a team in need of a QB will grab w/ quickness. He was considered possibly the number 1 QB if he would have came out last year . . . and still is the best QB of this draft (tho I LOVE Russell's upside).

My Question is, if Russell were to slip to 9, should Miami grab him? At first I thought that was an impossible thought, but hmmmmm let's see.

1. Oakland - Calvin Johnson (they sign David Carr)
2. Detroit - Brady Quinn (they want a guy to make all the throws and reads in MArtz's system, he is an ideal fit)
3. Cleveland - Adrian Peterson (he is not sliding, too good to pass up)
4. Tampa - Gaines Adams (CJ dreams crushed, they take the best DE prospect)
5. Arizona - Joe Thomas (a dream come true)
6. Washington - Jamal Anderson (They need a DE, this guy possibly has the most upside at DE)
7. Minnesota - Laron Landry (They drafted Jackson last year in round 2, they are not going to draft another QB this early, take BPA)
8. Atlanta - Reggie Nelson (they wanted Landry, but decide to keep Nelson in the south, they need a Safety.)

If the draft unfolds like this . . . do we take Jamarcus Russell w/ the 9th pick?

Agent51
03-31-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm really starting to slowly believe that we may have a better shot at Russell than Quinn. Quinn is a polished QB that a team in need of a QB will grab w/ quickness. He was considered possibly the number 1 QB if he would have came out last year . . . and still is the best QB of this draft (tho I LOVE Russell's upside).

My Question is, if Russell were to slip to 9, should Miami grab him? At first I thought that was an impossible thought, but hmmmmm let's see.

2. Detroit - Brady Quinn (they want a guy to make all the throws and reads in MArtz's system, he is an ideal fit)
6. Washington - Jamal Anderson (They need a DE, this guy possibly has the most upside at DE)
7. Minnesota - Laron Landry (They drafted Jackson last year in round 2, they are not going to draft another QB this early, take BPA)
8. Atlanta - Reggie Nelson (they wanted Landry, but decide to keep Nelson in the south, they need a Safety.)

If the draft unfolds like this . . . do we take Jamarcus Russell w/ the 9th pick?

Please God, no! I want nothing to do with him. First, he is MAJORLY overhyped (which assures he WON'T get past Oakland, since Al Davis always falls for hype), and second he is said to be very lazy, and I want someone with an excellent work ethic that continues to try and get better. If he is lazy in college what happens once he signs the big contract that college is basically an audition for?

Also, I don't think he is the most accurate QB, and while he DOES have a huge arm, he has piss-poor mechanics. Watch his tapes, he always throws while moving backwards and throws with a hop or from the backs of his feet.

If Quinn isn't there for us then we better go Landry or trade down, since nobody else is #9 value. But PLEASE don't let us take Russell, let him be someone else's big money problem.

Frayser
03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
In that scenario, I think you do (draft him). Some people might hate that pick, but I think it is probably the smart thing to do. Russell is atop many boards not simply because people think the Raiders like to smoke crack. He has an absolutely incredible arm, is big and hard to tackle, has great mobility for a guy his size, and can create on broken plays. He needs to be a little more polished, but I think he is a bargain at #9 (in this draft).

The other possibility is that a team may see him slipping and want to jump up to grab him. I still say that trading down should be our first priority. If we can grab at least one extra first day pick, we should consider any offer.

daniel3
03-31-2007, 07:03 PM
I keep seeing people say they "heard" he was lazy when everything says he isn't. I'd like to know who said that. Russell at #9 would be almost unbelievable and if you're deluded enough to think Miami would pass him over then more power to you.

bakedmatt
03-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Would Russell fit in our offense?

PJack
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Would Russell fit in our offense?

What offense? Poor O-line, crap receivers, no TE to speak of, and a run game limited by the poor play of the other positions. Of course you draft Russell at nine even though you'll sooner hit Powerball than see that happen. He does have the upside that it would be a great value at nine despite any concerns mentioned.

Delfin 22
03-31-2007, 08:27 PM
:( i prefer to trade our 9 for someone that wants a QB

OneHondo
03-31-2007, 08:43 PM

Huh??? And we don't want a quarterback? Not that I am a Russell fan or anything but I could have sworn we might need a QB.

alen1
03-31-2007, 09:21 PM
russell wont get past skins or browns

Kdawg954
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
russell wont get past skins or browns

But Quinn will?

Not saying u think this, but if Quinn can slide to 9 . . . why not Russell?

Jaj
03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Russell won't slide past the Browns unless they Oakland and Detroit pass on a QB and the Browns choose to pass on the QB Savage likes more.

Vertical Limit
03-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Cam Cameran has a history with pocket passing QB's. Russell is Culpepper version 2.

I think if Quinn isn't there, we will go after Stanton, Beck, or Kolb in the other rounds.

Killer B's
03-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Cam Cameran has a history with pocket passing QB's. Russell is Culpepper version 2.

I think if Quinn isn't there, we will go after Stanton, Beck, or Kolb in the other rounds.

I take it you mean Culpepper currently and not when he had mobility.

TRUEPHIN
03-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Nooooooooo! Please no Russell! This guy looks like he has bust written all over him. When I have watched him play, he didn't look like he could read a defense at all. We don't have any 80 yard pass plays in our playbook so I really don't know what we would get by drafting him. I hope we get Levi Brown at 9 or trade down.

Sean
03-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Honestly, I thinkin he's on grandapa's old cough medicine. Jamacus won't go past the top 3. Oak will take him, but if they get rid of Moss, then that might make him fall out of the top 3 to the top 5. Either way he will be gone by when we pick.

Agent51
04-01-2007, 12:55 AM
I keep seeing people say they "heard" he was lazy when everything says he isn't. I'd like to know who said that. Russell at #9 would be almost unbelievable and if you're deluded enough to think Miami would pass him over then more power to you.

Show me one place that specifically says he ISN'T lazy, or that he has a great work ethic? Almost all reports I have read on him (aside from Sporting News' draft guide where they act like he was built in a lab as the perfect QB :rolleyes2) have mentioned his work ethic, or lackthereof, and how he was WAY overweight at the combine, and how he was lazy in college when it came to practices and all that. I have yet to see one person who HASN'T questioned his lazyness and/or work ethic. Plus, heard on NFL Total Access that he was at one point said to be at 300lbs by a few scouts. What QB getting ready for the NFL lets himself go to 300lbs? So the guy can throw a long ball, big deal, I'll take a smart, student of the game QB with good accuracy, mechanics, and poise who played in a pro system, and THRIVED in it, in college over a QB with a cannon arm but poor mechanics, who isn't a student of the game, and makes frequent mental mistakes and doesn't work hard in practice any day.

#1 Fan
04-01-2007, 03:09 AM
i'd love that pick

fastball83
04-01-2007, 06:46 AM
if cam like pocket QB and if quinn don't slide, we will go with stanton or trent edwards.

finfan54
04-01-2007, 04:55 PM

hello! Mcfly?

finfan54
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
You believe too much press clippings. Jemarcus Russell is a better QB than Quinn. Hands down. It was proven head to head. Best way to see it. In big games.

finfan54
04-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Show me one place that specifically says he ISN'T lazy, or that he has a great work ethic? Almost all reports I have read on him (aside from Sporting News' draft guide where they act like he was built in a lab as the perfect QB :rolleyes2) have mentioned his work ethic, or lackthereof, and how he was WAY overweight at the combine, and how he was lazy in college when it came to practices and all that. I have yet to see one person who HASN'T questioned his lazyness and/or work ethic. Plus, heard on NFL Total Access that he was at one point said to be at 300lbs by a few scouts. What QB getting ready for the NFL lets himself go to 300lbs? So the guy can throw a long ball, big deal, I'll take a smart, student of the game QB with good accuracy, mechanics, and poise who played in a pro system, and THRIVED in it, in college over a QB with a cannon arm but poor mechanics, who isn't a student of the game, and makes frequent mental mistakes and doesn't work hard in practice any day.

And Vince Young got a 16 on the wonderlic. Then look, the guy becomes ROY. Get rid of this lazy crap. The guy is a stud. Forget the rest.

Jaj
04-01-2007, 05:01 PM
You believe too much press clippings. Jemarcus Russell is a better QB than Quinn. Hands down. It was proven head to head. Best way to see it. In big games.

That's a load of garbage. So other circumstances namely the talent level of the team don't mean anything?

LSU has a substantially more talented defense.

PJack
04-01-2007, 05:22 PM
And Vince Young got a 16 on the wonderlic. Then look, the guy becomes ROY. Get rid of this lazy crap. The guy is a stud. Forget the rest.

Just to play devils advocate, being I already stated I would take Russell at 9 if he fell. You absolutely have to be concerned that Russell showed up at the combine looking like crap. For someone preparing for the biggest change in his life, that does show me a lack of dedication and potential laziness. I have not seen the proof that he ballooned up to 300 pounds but if true I would be very concerned. Let's not compare Vince Young to Russell as they are very different players and Young looked great in his predraft workouts. Plus Young's strength surrounds his terrific running and big moment playmaking ability and far less of his arm. In fact, Young's passing stats in his rookie year were god awful. He won games with his legs and his knack of making a big play in big moments. He'll be very scary if/when he learns the ins and outs of the passing game and gets some WR help.

Russell will need to win with his arm and good movement. You won't see him making 40-50 yard runs in the NFL ala Young. He will need good protection and the proper scheme to do well. Of course you can say that about any NFL QB. The one thing that is common between Young and Russell is that they both won a lot of games as leaders of excellent college teams and that has to count for something.

By the way Russell was ranked top 5 in all of college for QB rankings:

1. C. Brennan (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145275) Hawaii185.962. J. Beck (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=148066) BYU169.063. J. Russell (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146755) LSU167.034. T. Palko (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=134942) Pittsburgh163.255. K. Kolb (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=147493) Houston162.72

his completion percentage and TD's to picks were excellent in a very difficult conference.

daniel3
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM

Who are you talking about? Poor mechanics, not a student of the game, and doesn't work hard in practice? Where are you getting this from, honestly this is getting ridiculous now. You can question his decision making at times but Brady Quinn does boneheaded things all the time, but fortunate for him he's doing it against teams which can't capitalize on them, unlike Russell.

Also for my reference I go by the guys own coach which unless you want to say he's outright lying (which you probably will) has said Russell is one of the hardest workers on their team. The only reason (or only remotely valid one) people question Russell's ethic is because he is big, which isn't even that big of a deal since people were crying about his 265 combine weight when his playing weight is roughly 255 (a whopping 5~10lbs more than normal at combine, oh lets drop him into 2nd round).

Also I watch total access a lot and I've seen them comment about Russell. I must have missed that report though where they stated he was 300lbs overweight at one point. Could have been a special report specific to your area though. Man you guys just kill me every year with this stuff. Why every non prototypical QB has to go through the same fud campaign every year I have no idea.

Also from an earlier comment, if Russell isn't a pocket passting QB, what type of QB is he then?

Agent51
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM

You're right, I should stop listening to reports from HIS OWN COACHES that he is lazy and doesn't have the best work ethic just because his TEAM beat Quinn's in the Sugar Bowl :rolleyes2. If I'm not mistakin, Quinn faced a MUCH better defense in that game than Russell did. If you are telling me that all things equal Russell would outplay Quinn then I am sorry but you are crazy. You give these guys the EXACT same players and the EXACT same defenses to face and Quinn would outplay Russell. It's not Quinn's fault his defense was horrendous and let Russell have a field day.

I'll take the guy wth great work ethic and competitive drive and knack for studying footage over the cannon arm any day. Guys like Culpepper and McNabb are all beter athletes than guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and have bigger arms, but who are the better QBs? Manning and Brady, because they are students of the game, like Quinn. I don't even think Russell will be as good as McNabb or Culpepper (well, Culpepper in his prime), nevermind elite like Manning and Brady.

How does the wonderlic have anything to do with work ethic and being lazy? Dan Marino got a 15 and is a HoF QB, Jason Maas got a 43 and what the hell did he ever do? He was a BACKUP in the CFL. I fail to see your point here. We ALL know the wonderlic is a joke, and we also all know that your work ethic and drive is what sets you apart from the competition, moreso than physical abilities, so again, Russell is lazy and has a poor work ethic, therefore he is NOT better than Quinn, nor does he even deserve this much praise.

daniel3
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Just to play devils advocate, being I already stated I would take Russell at 9 if he fell. You absolutely have to be concerned that Russell showed up at the combine looking like crap. For someone preparing for the biggest change in his life, that does show me a lack of dedication and potential laziness. I have not seen the proof that he ballooned up to 300 pounds but if true I would be very concerned. Let's not compare Vince Young to Russell as they are very different players and Young looked great in his predraft workouts. Plus Young's strength surrounds his terrific running and big moment playmaking ability and far less of his arm. In fact, Young's passing stats in his rookie year were god awful. He won games with his legs and his knack of making a big play in big moments. He'll be very scary if/when he learns the ins and outs of the passing game and gets some WR help.

Russell will need to win with his arm and good movement. You won't see him making 40-50 yard runs in the NFL ala Young. He will need good protection and the proper scheme to do well. Of course you can say that about any NFL QB. The one thing that is common between Young and Russell is that they both won a lot of games as leaders of excellent college teams and that has to count for something.

By the way Russell was ranked top 5 in all of college for QB rankings:

1. C. Brennan (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145275) Hawaii185.962. J. Beck (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=148066) BYU169.063. J. Russell (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146755) LSU167.034. T. Palko (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=134942) Pittsburgh163.255. K. Kolb (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=147493) Houston162.72

his completion percentage and TD's to picks were excellent in a very difficult conference.

The guy didn't balloon up to any 300lbs, those are just outright lies. Ugh, now he even has others believing this stuff!! Also people will continue to compare Russell, VY and Vick. Even though Russell, VY, and Vick are each very different players. It's enough that they're not the prototypical Marino QB type to lump them all together.

late again
04-01-2007, 05:51 PM
I offer up a little food for thought to everyone who is convinced that Cam is locked into a certain type of QB to fit into his offense. Please just take a minute to read about his QB when he was HC at IU.
College career
Randle El was a quarterback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback) at Indiana University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_Bloomington), where he was considered one of the premier offensive threats in the Big Ten Conference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Conference) and received some consideration for the Heisman Trophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisman_Trophy) (coming in 6th in Heisman voting) during his senior season. Randle El was the first player in Division I history to pass for 40 career touchdowns and score 40 career touchdowns. He was the Big Ten Player of the Year in 2001, and was named the first-team All-American quarterback by the Football Writers Association of America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Writers_Association_of_America). He finished his college career as the fifth on the all-time NCAA total yardage list, and became the first player in college football history to record 2,500 total yards for four consecutive years. He finished his career with 7,469 passing yards, 3,895 rushing yards, and 86 touchdowns running and passing. He is considered to be the second most statistically productive dual-threat quarterback to ever play college football.
While attending Indiana University, Randle El also played varsity basketball. His coach during this season was Bob Knight. A standout defender, he joined the 1998-99 IU basketball team following the football season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwan_Randle-El

Agent51
04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Who are you talking about? Poor mechanics, not a student of the game, and doesn't work hard in practice? Where are you getting this from, honestly this is getting ridiculous now. You can question his decision making at times but Brady Quinn does boneheaded things all the time, but fortunate for him he's doing it against teams which can't capitalize on them, unlike Russell.

Also for my reference I go by the guys own coach which unless you want to say he's outright lying (which you probably will) has said Russell is one of the hardest workers on their team. The only reason (or only remotely valid one) people question Russell's ethic is because he is big, which isn't even that big of a deal since people were crying about his 265 combine weight when his playing weight is roughly 255 (a whopping 5~10lbs more than normal at combine, oh lets drop him into 2nd round).

Also I watch total access a lot and I've seen them comment about Russell. I must have missed that report though where they stated he was 300lbs overweight at one point. Could have been a special report specific to your area though. Man you guys just kill me every year with this stuff. Why every non prototypical QB has to go through the same fud campaign every year I have no idea.

Also from an earlier comment, if Russell isn't a pocket passting QB, what type of QB is he then?

For starters, I never said he isn't a pocket passing QB, so IDK where that came from.

Second, this isn't a smear campaign. Look at all my posts dating from when I joined this site, I never bash people or players for the sake of doing so or because everyone else is. The only time I talk negative of a player is when there are facts or evidence to back it up. I'm not one of those "Ronnie Brown is a bust" or "Chris Chambers sucks" idiots you find all over the main forum, so please, do NOT label me in with that group.

Third, don't even pretend like you HAVEN'T heard the reports of him being out of shape or lazy in college and lacking a great work ethic. This guy does NOT work out the way Quinn does, he doesn't show the dedication to the game, he doesn't spend as much time on film study as Quinn. If he did, you'd be hearing about it like you do with Quinn. I can't queste exactly what show and episode I have heard what quotes on Russell, there have been a bunch. I know I heard someone say there were reports he was up to 300 at one point, and another one where a scout said he was 280 at the Sugar bowl, and plenty of reports of the lazyness and lack of a hrd work ethic. Between NFL Total Access, Path To The Draft, and NFL Live I have heard all of those things, not to mention during the actual coverage of the combine. I'm obviously not going to be able to give the exact dates and times each quote was aired since those shows are on every damn day and I don't sit there typing everything they say like a stenographer, but I have no reason to make this crap up, and don't patronize me with your sarcastic "must've been a special report in your area" crap either.

PJack
04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
The guy didn't balloon up to any 300lbs, those are just outright lies. Ugh, now he even has others believing this stuff!! Also people will continue to compare Russell, VY and Vick. Even though Russell, VY, and Vick are each very different players. It's enough that they're not the prototypical Marino QB type to lump them all together.

Just to be clear, I specifically said I didn't see proof on him ballooning up to 300. I also stated not to compare Russell and Young. I also went on to state some positives regarding his prior performance. My sole concern is his recent lack of dedication since the season ended. He let himself get terribly out of shape for someone that will be a professional athlete in the coming year. If that doesn't concern people about his dedication it should. Would I still take him at 9? Yes! His upside it just to big to pass him over given our need.

PhinSoldia
04-01-2007, 08:42 PM

you remember when New Orleans kinda didnt need a RB but wouldnt let a talent like Bush go-well detroit kinda doesnt need a QB but even Millen wont let Russel go

PhinSoldia
04-01-2007, 08:48 PM
You're right, I should stop listening to reports from HIS OWN COACHES that he is lazy and doesn't have the best work ethic just because his TEAM beat Quinn's in the Sugar Bowl :rolleyes2. If I'm not mistakin, Quinn faced a MUCH better defense in that game than Russell did. If you are telling me that all things equal Russell would outplay Quinn then I am sorry but you are crazy. You give these guys the EXACT same players and the EXACT same defenses to face and Quinn would outplay Russell. It's not Quinn's fault his defense was horrendous and let Russell have a field day.

I'll take the guy wth great work ethic and competitive drive and knack for studying footage over the cannon arm any day. Guys like Culpepper and McNabb are all beter athletes than guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, and have bigger arms, but who are the better QBs? Manning and Brady, because they are students of the game, like Quinn. I don't even think Russell will be as good as McNabb or Culpepper (well, Culpepper in his prime), nevermind elite like Manning and Brady.

How does the wonderlic have anything to do with work ethic and being lazy? Dan Marino got a 15 and is a HoF QB, Jason Maas got a 43 and what the hell did he ever do? He was a BACKUP in the CFL. I fail to see your point here. We ALL know the wonderlic is a joke, and we also all know that your work ethic and drive is what sets you apart from the competition, moreso than physical abilities, so again, Russell is lazy and has a poor work ethic, therefore he is NOT better than Quinn, nor does he even deserve this much praise.

51 you know the media has to annoint someone

Agent51
04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
51 you know the media has to annoint someone

Yea, just once I wish it were someone DESERVING though :rolleyes2

Phanatical
04-01-2007, 09:42 PM

Or Troy Smith. :D

daniel3
04-01-2007, 09:46 PM
For starters, I never said he isn't a pocket passing QB, so IDK where that came from.

Second, this isn't a smear campaign. Look at all my posts dating from when I joined this site, I never bash people or players for the sake of doing so or because everyone else is. The only time I talk negative of a player is when there are facts or evidence to back it up. I'm not one of those "Ronnie Brown is a bust" or "Chris Chambers sucks" idiots you find all over the main forum, so please, do NOT label me in with that group.

Third, don't even pretend like you HAVEN'T heard the reports of him being out of shape or lazy in college and lacking a great work ethic. This guy does NOT work out the way Quinn does, he doesn't show the dedication to the game, he doesn't spend as much time on film study as Quinn. If he did, you'd be hearing about it like you do with Quinn. I can't queste exactly what show and episode I have heard what quotes on Russell, there have been a bunch. I know I heard someone say there were reports he was up to 300 at one point, and another one where a scout said he was 280 at the Sugar bowl, and plenty of reports of the lazyness and lack of a hrd work ethic. Between NFL Total Access, Path To The Draft, and NFL Live I have heard all of those things, not to mention during the actual coverage of the combine. I'm obviously not going to be able to give the exact dates and times each quote was aired since those shows are on every damn day and I don't sit there typing everything they say like a stenographer, but I have no reason to make this crap up, and don't patronize me with your sarcastic "must've been a special report in your area" crap either.

That came from Vertical Limit and his infinite wisdom. If he isn't a pocket QB then what is he Vertical?

Also most of the so called reports I'm hearing about him and his work ethic are from people like you on forums who state that he is lazy or whatever based primarily on the concerns of his weight. I haven't seen any credible report which that questions his dedication to improving at and study of the game. If there were such reports they would go in exact opposition to what Russell has done for the past 3 years.

As if a guy can make the strides that Russell has from his Freshman to Junior year being lazy and having a bad work ethic. He had just about the same level of talent then, so why was his accuracy, mechanics, and production improved so visibly year after year. Sheer luck? Same level of talent over the years surrounding him as well so you can't even say it was because someone else got markedly better.

2413fanphins
04-01-2007, 10:52 PM
That came from Vertical Limit and his infinite wisdom. If he isn't a pocket QB then what is he Vertical?

Also most of the so called reports I'm hearing about him and his work ethic are from people like you on forums who state that he is lazy or whatever based primarily on the concerns of his weight. I haven't seen any credible report which that questions his dedication to improving at and study of the game. If there were such reports they would go in exact opposition to what Russell has done for the past 3 years.

As if a guy can make the strides that Russell has from his Freshman to Junior year being lazy and having a bad work ethic. He had just about the same level of talent then, so why was his accuracy, mechanics, and production improved so visibly year after year. Sheer luck? Same level of talent over the years surrounding him as well so you can't even say it was because someone else got markedly better.

WHAT... you mean you don't believe the russell is lazy.. bad work ethic, can't read defenses S#IT you hear on these boards everyday? these guys just flat love quinn... trade up to get him at whatever cost... throw the whole draft away to get him... but than turn around and say don't draft russell at nine if he falls.. that all makes great sense let me tell ya.

I would pay double the fee to get to vip... just to read some reasonable posts everyday... where do i get the info?
Damn I get tired of this BS... how much to get into VIP???