PDA

View Full Version : "Action Sports" Games

Agent51
03-31-2007, 11:44 PM
Does anyone remember Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX? I LOVED this game (well, both of them actually) and I wish they'd bring the game bck on the next-gen consoles. This one was WORLDS above the Gravity Games one or the Matt Hoffman Pro BMX ones. Both of those felt jerky and very forced, Dave Mirra was smooth and flowing. I actually expected a lot out of the Matt Hoffman one since it was the same people who made Tony Hawk, but it was horrible.

Anyway, it would be awesome if they brought this game to the 360 and PS3, they were SO fun.

Also, Transworld Surf was an excellent game too, and that would be awesome on the 360/PS3. Just like with Dave Mirra's game compared to the others, this one was very smooth and the controls made sense and it just felt great. Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer felt jerky and twitchy and it was REALLY dumb how to ride a barrell you had to press a combo of buttons and then keep your balance. It made NO sense when compared to real surfing. You just slow down in real life, you don't have to do anything special, so why use button presses to ride a barrell in a game? Stupid.

So in closing they need to bring back some of these great "action sports" (extreme sports sounds so dumb, very "tool"-like, and I refuse to call them that) games to the next-gen consoles, because there are still fans of them out there (I still play both, and they both came out at the original XBox's launch)

Perfect23
04-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah I got that one Dave Mirra game and it is the ****

Agent51
04-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah I got that one Dave Mirra game and it is the ****

I wish they made a REAL 3rd one instead of the BMXXX one :shakeno:

banzaitrey
04-02-2007, 12:34 AM
What about that scooter game lol...Anyone ever play that?

Agent51
04-02-2007, 12:59 AM
What about that scooter game lol...Anyone ever play that?

The Razor Scooter one? Where you had to ride around and do tricks on those dumb things? Yes, yes I did :lol:. We had it on display when I worked on KB Toys to promote the game AND the scooters, since they were "all the rage" at the time.

Anyone remember those Tech Deck things? the little finger skateboards? We had some free videos to give away when you bought a certain $ amount of the merchandise and MAN, some people are CRAZY at the little finger skatebords! They were doing real life tricks but with their fingers, like kickflips and heelflips and even the more technical stuff like 360 flips and hardflips. They build these insane areas to "skate" in too, like minature city streets or entire mini skate parks. It was nuts.

Aqua4Ever04
04-03-2007, 05:33 AM
There is absolutely no beating Tony Hawk. Sure it's a little exageratted, but those games were just sick.

I agree with you on Transworld Surf Agent, that game is awesome. I still play it sometimes. It's either that, Tony Hawk Project 8 or Madden.

Agent51
04-03-2007, 06:18 AM
There is absolutely no beating Tony Hawk. Sure it's a little exageratted, but those games were just sick.

I agree with you on Transworld Surf Agent, that game is awesome. I still play it sometimes. It's either that, Tony Hawk Project 8 or Madden.

I love Tony Hawk because it does the control scheme perfectly. It just makes so much sense to have it that way, and I think a huge reason other skateboarding games have failed is they have horrid controls. I remember one game for PS1, and I can't remember the title exactly but it had Thrasher (like the magazine) in it's title, and it had cool levels and all but the controls were horrendus. You had to hold the ollie button, input your tricks with a button combo, then release the ollie button to jump and do the trick. Do you have ANY idea how hard it was to hold X, press left + square for a kickflip, then release X to do the trick while skating through a narrow passageway with things in the way? It was just horrible.

However, I have a few major issues with Tony Hawk. First, I am one of those people who likes to play REALISTICALLY. I like to go to free skate and jst find create lines and do only tricks you could do in real life. A triple kickflip off a ledge is possible, a backflip 360 flip to indy grab is not. I find that when I am trying to play realistically, the arcady mechanics screw me up. For example, if I want to kickflip a set of 10 stairs, the kickflip rotation should take the majority of the time, but it doesn't, it's done as soon as you jump, then the board magically sticks to your feet the rest of the way down, and it just looks unrealistic. Same thing with ollies. Sometimes I want a quick hop up onto a ledge to set up a biger ollie, but you always get so muchair when you ollie that you jump OVER what you want to jump onto.

2nd, I HATE all the stupid "jackass" stuff they have you doing from THUG up to American Wasteland and I'm SO glad they did away with it in Project 8. Some of it is still there but not NEARLY as much, and its for th better. Now they need to go back to the roots and have actual "levels". The free roam is cool but gets REAL boring, because you are still in the same location the entire game. Keep the free roam but scale the enviroments down some and have multiple locations instea dof just one MASSIVE city, have at LEAST 4 smaller ones. Not like THPS1 small, they need to be big enough to have good replay value, but just small enough so you can hae multiple destinations instead of being stuck with the same scenery the entire game. And for crying out loud, BRING BACK SKATE PARKS! Those were always my favorite levels, the indoor skate parks, most of which were modeled after real ones (Skate Stree in Ventura, CA, the Tampa Pro Am one in FL, hell, even the one from my hometown of Middletown, RI; Skater Island). They need to bring them back, and have that area be a contest area, just like the old ones. The premise of this TH was moving up through the ranks of amateur skaters, but in real life that includes contests IN SKATEPARKS or on street courses, none of which were present in ths game.

3rd, please go back to the old create-a-skater mode, where you just pick male or female and then you can change skin color or height and weight and you could put ANY item in the game on them. This new mode where you pick a "type" like surfer or ghetto guy or punk is lame. The reason it sucks is that every "type" doesn't have access to all the clothes and accessories, or even hair types, and it was crappy that you were FORCED to have tattoos because the body type did. Problem is EVERY body type besides the little kid was covered in tattoos, even the girls. IDK about everyone else but I like to make someone who looks like me in the games, ad I am not covered in tribal tattoos. And more often than not I found myself liking the pants in one "type" better but the shirts in another, and the hairstyle in yet a 3rd, so it was dumb tht I could only wear that stuff if I picked that body type.

DrewAlmighty
04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Mirra was awesome. I also loved "Shaun Palmer's Professional Snowboarder"

I think that's what it was called.

Motion
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm with you Agent, good games.

I really want a realistic Snowboarding game, none of that SSX crap.

Agent51
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm with you Agent, good games.

I really want a realistic Snowboarding game, none of that SSX crap.

Transworld put out a pretty realistic one in Transworld Snow (I believe was the name). It launched with the XBox, or close to it. IDK what ever happened to those two franchises (Transworld Surf and Snow), they were both great, realistic games.

@@@
04-03-2007, 12:22 PM
My favorite snowboarding game was coolboarders2 on the ps1, hilariously unrealistic (you could huck backflip 180's with a grab on the flat!) but great fun, you could punch other riders when you were racing and stuff, it was classic. I'm with Motion though something realistic would be awesome

Motion
04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Shaun White has a game coming out this year. I would think it'd be pretty realistic.

Agent51
04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
My favorite snowboarding game was coolboarders2 on the ps1, hilariously unrealistic (you could huck backflip 180's with a grab on the flat!) but great fun, you could punch other riders when you were racing and stuff, it was classic. I'm with Motion though something realistic would be awesome

Dude, the BEST part about Cool Boarders was that you could design your own boards. Remember that? I have always wondered why they could do stuff like that back on PS1 and never do it on PS2 or now 360/PS3. The Tony Hawk board creation doesn't count, because you just slap shapes an stickers on and pick colors. In Cool Boarders you could actuall DRAW, like freehand, your designs.