PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero/Music Fans..check this out..

Dubfire
04-03-2007, 10:09 AM
The geniuses behind Guitar Hero are expanding on that idea with a new game called Rock Band (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6168398.html?tag=topslot;title;1).

Click on the link for the details.

Here's a glimpse of the article:

Gamers and music fans alike have been eagerly awaiting the details of Harmonix Music System's next project. Today, the development team behind Guitar Hero announced Rock Band, a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game that expands on the formula of its monster hit by adding drumming and singing.

With MTV onboard as a partner, Harmonix was able to sign deals with the major forces in the music publishing industry and has access to the master recordings of music from popular artists. Electronics Arts is also involved and will use its global reach to help distribute the game.

GameSpot had a chance to chat with Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos and EA Partners vice president David DeMartini to get more details on this ambitious project.

GameSpot: Alex, please explain Rock Band in your own words.

Alex Rigopulos: Sure. I guess what I would say about it is that Guitar Hero is a game that we made with a tiny budget and a fraction of a year to build it. And we're fortunate enough now to be in a position as part of MTV, where basically we're being given the creative freedom and the resources to really make the huge game that we've wanted to make for years, which is Rock Band.

:woot:

Dubfire
04-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Here's more:

It's essentially taking the core play premise of Guitar Hero but just expanding it hugely along every axis. We're building it out into a complete band experience, with guitar and bass and drums and singing, including very deep and expansive online game play. Huge recording artists are going to be in the game, including original multitrack master recordings in a lot of cases, which has been amazing.

:drool:

Agent51
04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
:rocker:

I have wanted this since I got hooked on GH1. Now lets hope they don't drop the ball with it and the MTV partnership doesn't mean it will be all poppy emo whiny bands. If they continue to have GH-esq song lineups this game might possibly be the greatest video game EVER.

Gogonjdevil
04-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Remember when video games had a controller with 2 buttons and that was it...and they were more fun then half the crap coming out today? Who will come out with the first full body immersion suit/VR game?

DrewAlmighty
04-03-2007, 11:11 AM
As soon as I got GH1 I knew this would come. I CAN'T WAIT!

Pagan
04-03-2007, 11:18 AM
The best part will be when people who get good at this game actually start walking around thinking they're musicians.

You know it's gunna happen! :lol:

Dubfire
04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
I was thinking about you Pagan when I saw this.

You're absolutely right about that and I'll be one of those people!!:lol:

The premise, if executed properly, makes for an incredible game.

Motion
04-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Cool, I'll have to check the drums part.

Agent51
04-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Well let's see, GH2 for the 360 is NINETY dollars for just the game and one controller. This game will be for the 360 (and PS3) and will use 2 guitars (Guitar and Bass, like the article says), DRUMS, and a microphone. Wonder how much this one's gonna set us back.

Phin-o-rama
04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
well i heard it will use online...so basically you can buy the game w/ drums...or game w/ guitar...etc...so if you wanna play as a drummer, u buy the drum kit and go online, hook up with other band members to jam OUT....you will prolly also be able to buy each instrument seperately or a total jam package if you will have enough people locally to play like that (lol)

this is all just guesses....

and pagan i bet playing gh can help you learn guitar as it builds up your fingers on your left hand to move around...just a thought tho...

Agent51
04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
well i heard it will use online...so basically you can buy the game w/ drums...or game w/ guitar...etc...so if you wanna play as a drummer, u buy the drum kit and go online, hook up with other band members to jam OUT....you will prolly also be able to buy each instrument seperately or a total jam package if you will have enough people locally to play like that (lol)

this is all just guesses....

and pagan i bet playing gh can help you learn guitar as it builds up your fingers on your left hand to move around...just a thought tho...

Online is going to be awesome, I just hope there are no lag issues, because in a game like this that will ruin it.

As far as learning real guitar from GH, I don't think so. I've been playing real guitar since I was 10 and I don't see how GH would transfer over. They are SIMILAR movements, but I think the most it would do would get you used to the strumming motion with one hand and moving the other hand seperately. Maybe it would be good practice before going to play a real guitar, like to limber up the fingers, lol.

I think knowing how to play real guitar helps (to an extent) in GH because you are already used to those motions. However, I personally always get screwed when a song comes up that I know how to play in real life, because I start to finger the real chords and notes instead of what I'm supposed to in the game, lol. I even find myself going for bends and everything, even though there are no strings.

Phin-o-rama
04-03-2007, 02:14 PM
haha true..

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Remember when video games had a controller with 2 buttons and that was it...and they were more fun then half the crap coming out today? Who will come out with the first full body immersion suit/VR game?

yes but I also remember a VAST majority of those games really sucking. That was also back when I didn't think Paperboy was a stupid game. So if I didn't believe Paperboy was a crappy stupid game then there must of been a LOT of crap.

Agent51
04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
yes but I also remember a VAST majority of those games really sucking. That was also back when I didn't think Paperboy was a stupid game. So if I didn't believe Paperboy was a crappy stupid game then there must of been a LOT of crap.

I used to love Paperboy. My favorite part was the little stunt parks at the end of the levels. I DLed it though and I hate it now. Same thing with Excite Bike for NEW, that was my favorite NES game, I remember spending HOURSE playing it after school, creating tracks and all that. Well, the other day I'm digging around in my storage area and I found my old NES and all the games, so just for ****s and giggles I hooked it up (the old school RFU way :rocker:) and man, Excit Bike is B-O-R-I-N-G!

DrewAlmighty
04-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Apparently this game is to be released in 2007 around the Holidays.

One can only hope.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I used to love Paperboy. My favorite part was the little stunt parks at the end of the levels. I DLed it though and I hate it now. Same thing with Excite Bike for NEW, that was my favorite NES game, I remember spending HOURSE playing it after school, creating tracks and all that. Well, the other day I'm digging around in my storage area and I found my old NES and all the games, so just for ****s and giggles I hooked it up (the old school RFU way :rocker:) and man, Excit Bike is B-O-R-I-N-G!

Yea I noticed that from Excite Bike as well. That game is so hard to play now.

I just think games are so amazing now we have huge expectations. Basically all you needed for Excite Bike to be fun was making tracks and falling off your bike.

Pagan
04-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Actually it doesn't bro. It'll definitely improve your finger dexterity, but the game is basically hand-eye coordination. Guitar playing isn't. And the picking motion is completely different from the guitar itself.

Also, you only go side to side with the buttons, and there's only 5 of them. Now...imagine 24 buttons side to side, and FIVE other rows of 24 under those first 24. That's what's on the fretboard. :wink:

Agent51
04-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Yea I noticed that from Excite Bike as well. That game is so hard to play now.

I just think games are so amazing now we have huge expectations. Basically all you needed for Excite Bike to be fun was making tracks and falling off your bike.

Yea. I kind of notice that feeling even with the "last-gen" games (ps2 and XBox). Like, I have had every single Tony Hawk game since the very first one, and just for fun yesterday I popped in THUG2 (IDK why since it was my least favorite :confused2) for the PS2 and man, it was unbearable. I think I am just so spoiled with the next-gen stuff that the graphics which seemed fine before are HORRIBLE now. It seemed all blurry and I could hardly read the menus or the HUD, and I was playing on a 60" plasma, lol. I do not EVER remember all that stuff being blurry when I played it new.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Yea. I kind of notice that feeling even with the "last-gen" games (ps2 and XBox). Like, I have had every single Tony Hawk game since the very first one, and just for fun yesterday I popped in THUG2 (IDK why since it was my least favorite :confused2) for the PS2 and man, it was unbearable. I think I am just so spoiled with the next-gen stuff that the graphics which seemed fine before are HORRIBLE now. It seemed all blurry and I could hardly read the menus or the HUD, and I was playing on a 60" plasma, lol. I do not EVER remember all that stuff being blurry when I played it new.

Yea I found my old memory card which has Smackdown 2002 which is my friend's favorite smackdown. I can see why because IMO it has one of the most fun season modes and I still do not understand how they keep on having HUGE step backs with each new version, however the game looked horrible.

God of War II just looks so much better. Still though, much better looking than Combat!