PDA

View Full Version : The Internet Could Be FUBAR'd This Weekend

Muck
07-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Looks like there could be trouble.

http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/technology/2308623/detail.html

M-REAL
07-04-2003, 11:22 AM
That makes no sense to have that kind of competition!! Storage space? geeez, what a bunch of dorks out there! My friend from Georgia and I used to play counterstrike online, he had his own servers and such. Anyway, one person we were playing against got a little too cocky with us so my boy banned his silly a**. Like 10 min. later our entire server we were on gets totally disrupted. I call my boy on the phone and asked what happened? He told me the guy we banned sent a virus through the server network and screwed things up!! After hanging up the phone with him, I tried to get back online to play again and somehow this punk's virus destroyed my entire C: drive, which was my main drive at the time!!! I HATE HACKERS! They hide in their little rooms behind monitors, destroying people's stuff for nothing. Put me in front of one face to face and we will dance with no music i can promise that!!!

Muck
07-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Looks like you encountered a l33t h@x0r. That was a nasty virus he planted.

One thing you should always do (besides backup) is partition an extra drive. Make your C: drive your OS partition and a D: drive for Storage. Rarely does a virus attack anything other than your OS drive. So if the C: drive gets nailed, you've still got all your music and anything else you've got stored on your D: partition.

M-REAL
07-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanks bro! That is some very good advice. Now I have a pretty good virus scanner/ killer whatever installed here, but with someone who can inject something like that it may only redirect it. Don't know if there is such a thing as a ghost drive, but the partition thing should give me some security.

Muck
07-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Yup, it's really easy. And it will also speed things up a tad (since your splitting the drive up).

If somebody wants to mess you up.....and he's good enough.....he's gonna do it. All you can do is try and lower the percentages. A good anti-virus program is essential these days. But you also might want to look into getting a firewall. A hardware firewall is always the best option (like a router).

But if you only have one computer, or you don't have money to spend, look into getting a software firewall. ZoneAlarm makes a very good one for free. It will not only keep people from getting in, but it will also allow you to control what goes out (everything from programs to viruses). Takes a little configuring at first. But after a while, you don't even notice it's there.

M-REAL
07-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Thanx Muck again, I will definitely look into everything you've mentioned.:D