PDA

View Full Version : Is there an limit on the number of draft picks a team can have?

Lee2000
04-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I asked this question several weeks ago and no one really answered it. The only reason I am asking it that some poster indicated a team could have no more than 12 picks. I had never heard that before. If you know something please respond. I will post this same question in the draft forum, but I think it is an important question in both forums.

Lee2000

Finfan53
04-04-2007, 09:41 AM
I think its a good question.... I've never heard of a limit. But I'm sure it has to be a unique scenario to get over a dozen picks, with supplemental picks, and picks received from previous years trades, etc...
I think most teams that have alot of picks use them to trade away to improve their draft position. I don't see why the NFL would have a concern over that?

greatwade
04-04-2007, 09:47 AM
No, it's not Madden. A team could get 20 if they were so inclined.

Compensatory picks are limited to 4 per team however. Roster limits
are in-effect, making draft pick limits moot.

Bumpus
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Nope, teams are free to amass as many picks as they can get their hands on. See: JJ getting all of those picks for H. Walker / Ditka trading away his entire draft for RW.

Denverfinfan
04-04-2007, 10:06 AM
224 regular picks is the maximum, 32 teams, 7 rounds + a possible 128 Compensatory picks bringing it up to 352 total that a team could have

YetanotherFan
04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
So who came up with the 12 pick Max cause as stated before, its been posted over these forums more than once?

EBMisfit
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
224 regular picks is the maximum, 32 teams, 7 rounds + a possible 128 Compensatory picks bringing it up to 352 total that a team could haveExcept compensatory picks aren't tradeable.

Stasilli/32/SS
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
An NFL team may not exceed 10 draft picks

hof13
04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
224 regular picks is the maximum, 32 teams, 7 rounds + a possible 128 Compensatory picks bringing it up to 352 total that a team could have

Nice attempt, but according to Article XVI of the CBA:
The Draft shall consist of seven rounds, with each round consisting of the same number of selection choices as there will be Clubs in the NFL the following League Year, plus a maximum number of additional Compensatory Draft Selections equal to the number of Clubs then in the League, with such Compensatory Draft Selections reserved for Clubs losing certain Unrestricted Free Agents. Each Draft shall be held between February 14 and May 2, on a date which shall be determined by the Commissioner.That says to me that max comp picks would be 32 - not 128.

josephreese
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Except compensatory picks aren't tradeable.

Well that's something I didn't know.
Thanks.

Kendall
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
An NFL team may not exceed 10 draft picks Actually there is no limit, while it is rare that a team would have more than 10 picks (not including the comps) it has happend. I know for a fact that in the 1999 draft the Bears had 13 picks total and only one of those was a comp. They had a pick in every round plus two extra 3rd round picks, an extra 4th, two extra 5ths, and an extra 7th which was the comp. Now unless the rules have changed since then (and I am pretty sure they haven't) that would mean that either you can have as many picks as you can gather or the Bears broke the rules.

Kendall
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Just found out that the Cleveland Browns had 13 picks in the 2000 draft as well. One of those (6th round pick) was a comp. I am sure there have been other teams as well. If you don't want to take my word for it, check out http://www.drafthistory.com

Kendall
04-04-2007, 11:10 AM
That says to me that max comp picks would be 32 - not 128.
That is correct, there are 32 comp picks given out every year, most of them are usually at the end of the 7th but they can be handed out as high as the 3rd round.

MastR_EvaluatoR
04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Just found out that the Cleveland Browns had 13 picks in the 2000 draft as well. One of those (6th round pick) was a comp. I am sure there have been other teams as well. If you don't want to take my word for it, check out http://www.drafthistory.com

Looking at the level of play the Browns have had over the past 6 years, I'd assume they didn't do much with those 13 picks ..

Lee2000
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Where are you reading this?

Lee2000

greatwade
04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Where are you reading this?

Lee2000

it came to him in the sky

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/ouronlyhope-1.jpg

10 picks max!

/friends & noses

Kendall
04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Looking at the level of play the Browns have had over the past 6 years, I'd assume they didn't do much with those 13 picks ..
Put it this way the only guy from that draft that is still on their team is Dennis Northcutt. :eek:

cellman007
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Put it this way the only guy from that draft that is still on their team is Dennis Northcutt. :eek:

Actually the Jaguars signed him a couple of weeks ago.

Kendall
04-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Actually the Jaguars signed him a couple of weeks ago.
:lol:

footballer
04-04-2007, 12:08 PM

dude, madden is a game.
not real life.

Crunkcore
04-04-2007, 12:22 PM

:lol:

PHINANALYST
04-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't think the constraint is the # of picks ... it is more the $$$ a team is allowed to allocate for draft picks ...

The $$$ in a way limits the # of players you could pick, sign and pay

That's just another reason to manage picks every year a la the PATS to ensure you have extra picks year in and year out ... because:

1- You can't have a glut of guys 1 year, since most of the contracts would expire the same year -- and cost a great deal of CAP to resign them --- its puts the team in a bad financial position with bonuses, salary, etc

2- You can always get better 'value' by picking up picks for the next year ... meaning a 3d this year or 2d next year ... delayed gratification

My personal opinion is that you should 'strive' to accumulate an extra day 1 and day 2 pick every year for either flexibility or for the 'player' ..

Lee2000
04-04-2007, 12:39 PM
I don't think the constraint is the # of picks ... it is more the $$$ a team is allowed to allocate for draft picks ...

That's just another reason to manage picks every year a la the PATS to ensure you have extra picks year in and year out ... because:

1- You can't have a glut of guys 1 year, since most of the contracts would expire the same year -- and cost a great deal of CAP to resign them --- its puts the team in a bad financial position with bonuses, salary, etc

2- You can always get better 'value' by picking up picks for the next year ... meaning a 3d this year or 2d next year ... delayed gratification

My personal opinion is that you should 'strive' to accumulate an extra day 1 and day 2 pick every year for either flexibility or for the 'player' ..

I wouldn't think a team would be punished if they were able to have 12 or more picks through savy trading?

Lee2000

Lee2000
04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
The following is a summary of what has been said so far that is relevant:

1. There is no limit on picks (those picks you accumulate through trades).
2. There is some limit to compensatory picks.
3. There is a rookie pool (money earmarked to sign picks, but there is uncertainity as to whether a team is punished that has more picks, not given enough money to sign 13 guys!).
4. It is becoming apparent that the guys that said there was a limit on draft picks are basing such comments on Madden, and not some NFL policy.
5. There is evidence that having more picks doesn't necessarily lead to good drafting (Cleveland given as example).

Any other additional information would be appreciated.

Lee2000

Kinzua
04-04-2007, 12:57 PM

It's probably why the Pats were willing to part with a 2nd rounder to get Welker -- they have 2 first round picks, so they might have bumped up against the $$$ ceiling the NFL allows for draftees. If NE didn't have 2 1sts, the Fins might have gotten a 3rd and a 7th for Welker, but probably not a 2nd.

Kendall
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
The higher your draft pick the more money you get for signing them so it would seem to me that teams wouldn't have a problem paying the guys they drafted.

dolpns13
04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
The following is a summary of what has been said so far that is relevant:

1. There is no limit on picks (those picks you accumulate through trades).
2. There is some limit to compensatory picks.
3. There is a rookie pool (money earmarked to sign picks, but there is uncertainity as to whether a team is punished that has more picks, not given enough money to sign 13 guys!).
4. It is becoming apparent that the guys that said there was a limit on draft picks are basing such comments on Madden, and not some NFL policy.
5. There is evidence that having more picks doesn't necessarily lead to good drafting (Cleveland given as example).

Any other additional information would be appreciated.

Lee2000

each teams rookie pool is different, but it looks like the average is about 4 -5 million to sign rookies
A team's rookie pool is based on the number and position of draft picks, with teams holding higher picks being allocated more dollars per pick than teams holding lower picks.

phinphan11
04-04-2007, 01:50 PM
It's probably why the Pats were willing to part with a 2nd rounder to get Welker -- they have 2 first round picks, so they might have bumped up against the $$$ ceiling the NFL allows for draftees. If NE didn't have 2 1sts, the Fins might have gotten a 3rd and a 7th for Welker, but probably not a 2nd.

Don't think so.... he was tendered a second rounder but the teams made a deal for a second and seventh to avoid NE signing him to a huge deal.
If if NE didn't have two first rounders they still would have had to come up with a second round choice if the Phins didn't match the offer.

esafille
04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
No, it's not Madden. A team could get 20 if they were so inclined.

Don't you hate that? Trying to do franchise mode and you want to clean house and are limited to 10 picks.

I think Mueller will move Daunte for a pick or two, as well as Ricky (he got rid of him when he was in New Orleans)

E

Kendall
04-04-2007, 02:11 PM
I could see Ricky being traded if a team was stupid enough to give us a 3rd maybe a high 4th but I don't see that happening so we will probably keep him. Especially considering our depth at RB right now.

dolpns13
04-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Don't think so.... he was tendered a second rounder but the teams made a deal for a second and seventh to avoid NE signing him to a huge deal.
If if NE didn't have two first rounders they still would have had to come up with a second round choice if the Phins didn't match the offer.

you are correct sir, haha, yeeees!

trate121hb
04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
no limit to amount of picks...lets keep on getting some more....

PublixSubsRule
04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I don't think the NFL has a limit, but for you Madden fans it is 10!!