PDA

View Full Version : Why is Troy Smith going so low?

SabanHater
04-04-2007, 02:33 PM
He won the Heisman Trophy and isn't considered a first round pick??? I don't follow college football at all, but I thought that the Heisman winner usually goes in the top 5.

:confused:

banzaitrey
04-04-2007, 02:40 PM
bc he is under 6 feet and doesn't have the intangibles to become a starter in the Nfl...Eric Crouch won the heisman and i believe he is in the arena league now...

NYFCat
04-04-2007, 02:42 PM
It all comes down to long-term ability.

Troy Smith is a hair under 6'0 and has a very sloppy delivery.

A few heisman trophy winners have been passed by:

2003: QB, Jason White, Oklahoma - Undrafted
2001: QB, Eric Crouch, Nebraska - 3rd (Reach of the draft too)
2000: QB, Chris Weinke, FSU - 4th
1996: QB, Danny Weurfull, Florida - 4th
1992: QB, Gino Torretta, Miami - Undrafted

Jaj
04-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Troy Smith is just actually Drew Brees' height and his intangibles are not what's in question.

SabanHater
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh, I heard he threw a perfect ball.

FINdestructible
04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
I heard on NFL network a couple of weeks ago that 80% (not sure of the exact %, but i know it was very high) of the players in this years draft would want Troy Smith as their QB in the NFL. Maybe someone here remembers that &/or can post a link.

#1 Fan
04-04-2007, 03:37 PM
It all comes down to long-term ability.

Troy Smith is a hair under 6'0 and has a very sloppy delivery.

A few heisman trophy winners have been passed by:

2003: QB, Jason White, Oklahoma - Undrafted
2001: QB, Eric Crouch, Nebraska - 3rd (Reach of the draft too)
2000: QB, Chris Weinke, FSU - 4th
1996: QB, Danny Weurfull, Florida - 4th
1992: QB, Gino Torretta, Miami - Undrafted

also charlie ward

VT Dolphan
04-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Because he is a guy that looks better in pads and a helmet than shorts and people overlook his entire college resume simply because of his less than ideal height. I think someone will be able to get a bargain in the fourth round.

zach8111
04-04-2007, 04:01 PM
the reason isnt his height cuz he is 6 foot, drew brees hieght. he has a cannon for an arm. he has decent accuracy. i dont see the peoblem. he has a great deep ball. he is gonna be a steal in the 4th. he is very mobile. what else do you want. he is a proven winner. doesnt throw many interceptions. 2 of his four last year were in the rain and one was tipped and the one against Michigan wasnt his fault. the reason is he has ONE bad game in his career, but one many more. he only lost three games as a starter. i think he is top three QB in the draft. i wouldnt mind getting him if quinn isnt available and take WR in the First.

CC Coach
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
The correct answer is simple- he is a jerk with questionable habits.
This is from an OSU fan who along with the NFL scouts saw Troy Smith gain 15+ pounds between the Michigan game and the NC game vs. Florida. He didn't look at much films or prepare himself for that game.
Instead of attending a team banquet function at a high school, he stiffed the team and Tressel and went to the Cavs basketball game to buddy up with the NBA punks and LeBron.
After the embarrassing loss to Florida he didn't associate with the team or the coaches. He never apologized for his putrid showing and went drilled by reporters he acted like a scumbag.
He is a ahole. Period.

PJack
04-04-2007, 05:46 PM
The fact that he was awful in the final and most important game doesn't help. He had weeks to prepare and looked as bad as I've seen a QB look. He also had poor showings in the Senior Bowl and was not impressive at the combine.

These comparisons to Brees need to stop. Height is the ONLY thing they have in common. Brees was a prolific passer in college and makes Smith's stats look very small. He did this with far less talent around him but in the same conference. Brees' stats were magnified as they had to have a passing offense because Purdue generally can not run in the Big 10.

I would say that Smith showed up big in many important games, so I wouldn't be too upset if we got him in the later rounds, but not 1-4.

Boomer
04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
He certainly doesn't have a sloppy delivery.

There are also a number of off field issues that are a concern.

Finsfan1984
04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Positives - He has a strong arm, he is mobile, to name a few.

Negatives - Size, Very very very inconsistant, can be very inaccurate at times, quick decision making skills in question as well, to name a few.

At best, a 4th round project type QB IMO. I watched him play a good bit, I would see something really good, and the very next play something really bad. Very inaccurate and inconsistant on the dangerous type routes, i.e. the deep out, which can be taken the opposite direction for a TD. One time he throws it way behind the WR, the next time it bounces to the reciever. Like I said, very inconsistant.

Boomer
04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Positives - He has a strong arm, he is mobile, to name a few.

Negatives - Size, Very very very inconsistant, can be very inaccurate at times, quick decision making skills in question as well, to name a few.

At best, a 4th round project type QB IMO. I watched him play a good bit, I would see something really good, and the very next play something really bad. Very inaccurate and inconsistant on the dangerous type routes, i.e. the deep out, which can be taken the opposite direction for a TD. One time he throws it way behind the WR, the next time it bounces to the reciever. Like I said, very inconsistant.

Not buying that.

Finsfan1984
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Not buying that.
Which part? The 4th round stuff, or the inconsistant stuff?

CC Coach
04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
It is interesting that most fans aren't aware that all NFL teams hire private investigators to follow potential draft picks around. They dig deep to find out what kind of individual and citizen they are before giving them millions of dollars.
It is a fact that Troy Smith is a questionable citizen. At his interviews Smith came off as strange and not friendly.And considering that QB is the most important position, character is a huge issue.
On the other hand Ted Ginn is a great citizen, hard worker and much more likable.

DonShula84
04-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Heisman means nothing when it comes to the NFL

Finsfan1984
04-04-2007, 06:17 PM
It is interesting that most fans aren't aware that all NFL teams hire private investigators to follow potential draft picks around. They dig deep to find out what kind of individual and citizen they are before giving them millions of dollars.
It is a fact that Troy Smith is a questionable citizen. At his interviews Smith came off as strange and not friendly.And considering that QB is the most important position, character is a huge issue.
On the other hand Ted Ginn is a great citizen, hard worker and much more likable.
That's interesting CC Coach. I knew that he had a very checkered PAST, but was under the impression that he had change it around alot, partly due to Ginn SR. If what your saying is correct, then, yes it raises a few more eyebrows. Me personally, i havent been that impressed with his play, IMO i have seen some things, inconsistant throws, that makes me question his potential early on.

PhinFan0202
04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
1. He bombed dirty in the National Championship game. The team as a whole didn't play well but as soon as Ginn Jr. was not there he looked lost.
2. People question his character?
3. His Height

Finsfan1984
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Heisman means nothing when it comes to the NFL
Tru Dat!

daniel3
04-04-2007, 07:29 PM
1. He bombed dirty in the National Championship game. The team as a whole didn't play well but as soon as Ginn Jr. was not there he looked lost.
2. People question his character?
3. His Height

Choice #1 pretty much is a big part of it, plus an earlier poster mentioned his cockiness as being an annoying factor. I would put height as the #1 reason though, followed by NC game, and then character. Guy really is very underrated, but in many ways deservedly so.

jlfin
04-04-2007, 07:40 PM
He won the Heisman Trophy and isn't considered a first round pick??? I don't follow college football at all, but I thought that the Heisman winner usually goes in the top 5.

Gino Torreta? Eric Crouch?

Troy Smith won the Heisman, but he followed that up with a dismal 35 yd performance in arguably the biggest game of his life (to this point, at least)

VT Dolphan
04-04-2007, 07:57 PM
He may be short and have a questionable character, but if it weren't for that performance in the National Championship I'd say he'd be a legit 2nd rounder. Before that game, I had seen some mocks that had us taking him in the first round. Obviously he really choked in the championship, but that was really the only major blemish in an otherwise stellar college career.

Agent51
04-04-2007, 08:24 PM

He's going so low for the same reason Russell is going so high, a damn bowl game. I was never a huge Troy Smith fan (and the Heisman doesn't garuntee you are a top pick, or even a great player), but he was projected as a late 1st-rounder all last season, definately no lower than 2nd round, until that Florida game, and then suddenly everything else he had done went out the window and he was solely measured on that game.

Same with Russell, he wasn't high on boards until his bowl game performance.

It's just ridiculous that ONE game can shoot a player so far up or down, especially given he was obviously projected at a certain spot before that game for a reaon, and that would be all the tapes leading up to that game. So basically all college players need to know if they have to perform well in one big bowl game and their mediocre performance the other 3 years can be forgotten, or on the flipside, the performances that got everyone buzzing the previous years can all go out the window if they screw up in that one game.

I never though Troy Smith should be a highly-praised player, I always considered him 4th or lower material, but the fact that everyone else sayw him so high until that one game is ridiculous.

Every player has a game here and there that they play WAY lower than their abilites, and every player has a few where they play way ABOVE what they are expected to do. You should never judge a player on his highest, or lowest, performance, it should based on their overall perfomances, then the amazing, or poor, ones can be discussed when they happen.

Dolfan32323
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
If we don't get Stanton, Quinn, Edwards, or Kolb I wouldn't mind taking him on day 2.

TexanPhinatic
04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I would definately take a flyer on him as high as the third. Hes got all the intangibles you could want really. I have no idea where this inconsistent and cant make fast decisions stuff is coming from, that always seemed fine to me.
The guys height was initially the only thing keeping him from being named a top 10 pick along with Quinn and Brohm (who ended up not declaring).
However under scrutiny his off season has not been impressive like Quinn and Russell, he has some character/personality issues that are following him around-highlighted now with the recent Pacman/Chris Henry/upcoming rules changes.

Coupled with the disaster of a BCS game, it dropped him all the way down to a second day pick. But damn he has got some skills.

I can deal with the height issues easily-its not a big hindrance for a guy like brees is it? And the linemen at Ohio were massive guys, NFL size (if not talent). And as for the BCS game, Ohio as a team was not ready. I think the 3 (4?) week layover played a big part in that. They just werent ready to play. Not to mention losing his main target and playmaker hurt, as did a massively underachieving line and the need to play catchup with a panicing team.

The only thing that concerns me is the attitude/character. QB has to mesh with the team. If he wants to be cocky so be it, would be nice to have a QB who projects confidence. But you dont want a gloryhound who insult/take credit from teammates (not saying Troy did/does this) or a guy whos gonna get in trouble with Johnny Law.

If the psych dept. checks him out though, I think he would be a great 3-4-5 round guy.