PDA

View Full Version : Never spit in a police officers face !

dolphan39
07-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Man Gets Life in Prison for Spitting (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=3&u=/nm/20030703/od_nm/crime_spit_dc)
John Carl Marquez, 36, was convicted of "placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease of course, it will not withstand the appeal IMO

Miamian
07-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Well, since I'm a government employee I guess I have some added protection. Nobody had better spit in my face.

Joe Friday
07-03-2003, 07:23 PM
I had one guy spit on the back of my head, after I arrested him for DWI and Menacing. Let us just say, the word got out, never, NEVER EVER spit on Joe Friday.

t2thejz
07-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Yea well that guy sounds like a scumbag anyway, even if he didnt spit in the cops face then i wouldnt give a damn if he was in jail for the rest of his life

baccarat
07-04-2003, 12:07 AM
If the guy had siphlius(sp?), AIDS or anything like that, then I'd give him life but without diseases I'd give him 10-15 years with no chance of early parole.

Den54
07-04-2003, 10:59 AM
Speaking of spitting and Aids.....

How does a gay guy fake an orgasm with his partner?
He spits on his back.:lol: Alright yall better have a sense of humor.:D

Blitz
07-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a law straight out of Nazi Germany. I don't know about you, but I find this law distressing. Did millions of brave men fight against Nazi Germany for a society with laws like this? This is just another betrayal of the Post-War Dream.

Let's just ignore the fact that saliva actually has a property that inhibits infection of HIV. It would take A LOT of saliva (i.e., FAR MORE than one can possibly spit at someone once) to infect someone with HIV, and that's assuming the saliva gets in the right place (Namely an open cut).

So what's next? We arrest someone who just happens to be a minority (*cough* Look at the convict's last name in this case *cough*), especially an UNPOPULAR minority, or someone who has an unpopular opinion for BREATHING NEAR a government employee simply because he/she MAY transmit a POTENTIALLY deadly disease to the gov't employee through their breathing? (Ex. SARS)

And let's not forget how much of a waste of tax-payers' money this is too.

So much for the Republicans' BS about "small government." (Only the naive actually believed they would DECREASE the size of the gov't) It is truly baffling how moderates, even moderates who are deeply religious, who tend to vote Republican are not aligning with the Democratic Party or Libertarian Party. The Republicans are ridiculously conservative at the present. The DNC actually has far more moderates than the GOP today.

Den54
07-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Pick your poision, the puppet on the left or the puppet on the right.

Miamian
07-07-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Blitz
Sounds like a law straight out of Nazi Germany. I don't know about you, but I find this law distressing. Did millions of brave men fight against Nazi Germany for a society with laws like this? This is just another betrayal of the Post-War Dream.

Let's just ignore the fact that saliva actually has a property that inhibits infection of HIV. It would take A LOT of saliva (i.e., FAR MORE than one can possibly spit at someone once) to infect someone with HIV, and that's assuming the saliva gets in the right place (Namely an open cut).

So what's next? We arrest someone who just happens to be a minority (*cough* Look at the convict's last name in this case *cough*), especially an UNPOPULAR minority, or someone who has an unpopular opinion for BREATHING NEAR a government employee simply because he/she MAY transmit a POTENTIALLY deadly disease to the gov't employee through their breathing? (Ex. SARS)
I really have to disagree with that. First, nobody should have to deal with someone spitting in his/her face notwithstanding provocation. Second, although in some cases police officers will abuse their authority, e.g., brutality or the attitude that he/she is a bada$$, in most cases they're doing their jobs and in many of those cases their lives may be on the line.

So much for the Republicans' BS about "small government." (Only the naive actually believed they would DECREASE the size of the gov't) It is truly baffling how moderates, even moderates who are deeply religious, who tend to vote Republican are not aligning with the Democratic Party or Libertarian Party. The Republicans are ridiculously conservative at the present. The DNC actually has far more moderates than the GOP today.

Miamian
07-07-2003, 12:45 AM
My reply wasn't posted. I don't know why, but anyway in disagreement I said that first, nobody should have to deal with someone spitting in his/her face notwithstanding extenuating circumstances. Second, although in some cases, police officers may abuse their authority, most of the time their doing their jobs, and in many of those cases their lives may be on the line. Third, it's rediculous to use SARS as an a comparison as breathing has life support as it's primary function, spitting in someone's face is purely an act of provocation.

Joe Friday
07-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Blitz

You have obviously never been spit on.

Blitz
07-07-2003, 05:28 PM
disagreement I said that first, nobody should have to deal with someone spitting in his/her face notwithstanding extenuating circumstances.

I agree, but I do think sending someone to prison for life for SPITTING on an officer is going WAY TOO FAR. It's dangerous to support sentences for such crimes. And if you don't care about why this is alarming and what it could lead to, at least realize that keeping this scum in prison for the rest of his life is an incredible waste of YOUR money. But I guess that money is well spent because we are making sure he will never spit on another officer ever again, right? :lol: Oh wait, he could spit on a prison guard! It looks like we're going to have to give him the death penalty! :lol:

Second, although in some cases, police officers may abuse their authority, most of the time their doing their jobs, and in many of those cases their lives may be on the line.

I agree. I believe police officers should be making more than they currently are. They are an integral part of our society.

Third, it's rediculous to use SARS as an a comparison as breathing has life support as it's primary function, spitting in someone's face is purely an act of provocation.

In the mid '30s, Albert Einstein's property was confiscated by the Nazi government because he was Jewish, but their official reason for confiscating his property was the fact he had a "weapon" in his home. Do you know what the weapon was? A butter knife! So you tell me how ridiculous a determined government will go to further their secret agenda...

Miamian
07-07-2003, 09:24 PM
I agree that a life term is beyond excessive; perhaps we got different impressions from the replies, but it seemed that some were maintaining that the guy should get off scott-free.

But again, although certain skills would enable an individual to use a butter knife as a lethal weapon (Einstein, I'm sure was not an example) it is also used to butter bread. There really cannot be another reason for spitting in someone's face except provocation.

MOULDSROCKS
07-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Joe! People at BBI miss you! Come back!

M-REAL
07-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Spitting on anyone's face is disrespectful and demeaning! But to get that kind of sentence is ridiculous period. Assault on an officer carries a minimum sentence, if convicted in FLA, 10-15 yrs in prison. The last time someone spit in my face was in eighth grade while riding to school in the bus. He told me to shutup(but harsher) when I was only talking to my friend about a girl from our school, and turned around in the bus seat and spit right in my face when I didn't remain quiet. So I did what any guy would do usually in that situation. I stood up with saliva still dripping from my cheek and beat the living piss out of him so hard that the bus driver stopped and phoned in the police! When I stepped off the bus, I was arrested and spent 21 days in the juvenile detention center! The kid was taken to the local hospital for stitches to his face. That was the last time I was ever spit on; so tell me was 21 days in that gang-infested hole of a jail, right or wrong?

Miamian
07-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Only you can answer that.

M-REAL
07-22-2003, 10:30 AM
True. But it wasn't really a question to be answered, I was just sharing an experience.