PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Possible trade with the Steelers?

PSUFinFan
04-05-2007, 05:40 PM
According to ESPN, the Steelers have interviewed Levi Brown and might be interested in trading up in order to get him. And since we draft directly in front of the Texans, odds are we could be their target. After lookings at the draft value chart it seems a trade of our 1st (9) and 3rd(71) for their 1st (15), 2nd (46), and a 2008 mid round pick would be a reasonable deal. My question is would you take that trade? I would, that would give us 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and 3 in the second rounds, were I believe you get the best value for your pick and odds are one of the top players that we covet in the 9 spot will still be available at 15.

Dolfan1000
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
That is of course unless we want to take Levi Brown.

I know, I know, the staff "doesnt love him".

You cant believe anything draft-related you read in the paper. Its one big game of smoke and mirrors.

LAMiamifan
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Pitt is looking to move up to get Levi Brown and they had him in town yesterday. Apparently, they're very high on him and looking to move up to get him. The Steelers have a history of moving up in the draft and they're currently slated at #15. There are definitely a couple of potential suitors between us and Pitt including the texans. I'd be game to move down 6 slots if we could pick up a 2nd. It seems like every mock has us taking the same 4 or 5 players... none of which are very convincing as definitive picks for us. Why not just take who drops and try to snag another first day pick, as long as the 2 qbs are off the board... and thomas, calvin.

Rich22
04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Unless Quinn was there it's a no brainer. Trade down and pick up a 2nd rd pick is a given. We can go QB, OL, and DB in the 2nd rd!!!

Crypt Keeper
04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
According to ESPN, the Steelers have interviewed Levi Brown and might be interested in trading up in order to get him. And since we draft directly in front of the Texans, odds are we could be their target. After lookings at the draft value chart it seems a trade of our 1st (9) and 3rd(71) for their 1st (15), 2nd (46), and a 2008 mid round pick would be a reasonable deal. My question is would you take that trade? I would, that would give us 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and 3 in the second rounds, were I believe you get the best value for your pick and odds are one of the top players that we covet in the 9 spot will still be available at 15.Why should we have to give up a pick? The 9th pick for the 15th and 46th is a fair deal.

phinphan4life
04-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Why should we have to give up a pick? The 9th pick for the 15th and 46th is a fair deal.

Agreed. That's more than fair.

PSUFinFan
04-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Why should we have to give up a pick? The 9th pick for the 15th and 46th is a fair deal.

According the the chart I used we would benefit an extra 140 points in your scenario. Roughly the value of a late 3rd rounder or next years 2nd. While I would be all for this, I don't think the steelers would be willing to make such a trade.

Caldolfan
04-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I would take their 2nd to move back 6 spots, then take somebody elses to move back again. Second round picks are good players that play with a chip on their shoulders because they were not first round picks. As many second round picks as you can get. They cost less too.

pennPhinFan
04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
If we did this our draft could look like
15. Leon Hall/Greg Olsen
40&46. Dwayne Bowe/Sidney Rice and an OL prospect (Kalil?)
60. Kevin Kolb/Drew Stanton
71. BPA at TE/DB (depending on round 1) or OL

wow... talk about addressing tons of needs with great prospects.. i think i'd lose it if we pulled off
a draft day 1 like this

Konrad44
04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
i'm all for it. it sounds like a great deal and i won't have to sit through tormented games with quinn at QB

miami234ever
04-05-2007, 06:15 PM
If we don't trade up for Brady Quinn or if Quinn's not there, then I would do this trade.

Joneal7
04-05-2007, 06:17 PM
why do the Steelers want Levi Brown..they have Marvel Smith, and Max Starks, Willie Colon who both can play RT and Marvel at left...well hmm maybe we can get them to give us Marvel Smith to go along with some draft picks..i would take Marvel in a heart beat

Kdawg954
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I mean I would do this trade, but not with giving up a third. People need to understand . . . u don't do trades based on what a draft value chart says. It just gives u a general idea of what is needed. It's not like we don't need OL help either. If they want Levi, they gotta come out of there pocket and get him, and if it means givin up a little more, so be it. 9 for 15 & 46, and I pull the trade or 9 and a second day pick . . . not 2 first day picks, hell no.

retarmyfinfan
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
According to ESPN, the Steelers have interviewed Levi Brown and might be interested in trading up in order to get him. And since we draft directly in front of the Texans, odds are we could be their target. After lookings at the draft value chart it seems a trade of our 1st (9) and 3rd(71) for their 1st (15), 2nd (46), and a 2008 mid round pick would be a reasonable deal. My question is would you take that trade? I would, that would give us 4 picks in the first 2 rounds and 3 in the second rounds, were I believe you get the best value for your pick and odds are one of the top players that we covet in the 9 spot will still be available at 15.

Levi Brown is good but is he that good to pass at 9? If he makes it to 9 then I would say make the trade. There is lots of value at 15 and an additional 2nd, which would make 3, is too good to pass up in my opnion.

Minnphin
04-05-2007, 06:22 PM
According the the chart I used we would benefit an extra 140 points in your scenario. Roughly the value of a late 3rd rounder or next years 2nd. While I would be all for this, I don't think the steelers would be willing to make such a trade.

They're the ones trying to get up to get the guy they want. The onus is on them to come up with what is necessary. They don't want to do it, tough. No Levi Jones for them. The only thing to consider might be whether or not they can get up higher than 9 with 15 and 46.

PSUFinFan
04-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I mean I would do this trade, but not with giving up a third. People need to understand . . . u don't do trades based on what a draft value chart says. It just gives u a general idea of what is needed. It's not like we don't need OL help either. If they want Levi, they gotta come out of there pocket and get him, and if it means givin up a little more, so be it. 9 for 15 & 46, and I pull the trade

You do realize that you contradict yourself with your signature. You want us to trade our 1st and 4th to Green Bay for the their 1st and 2nd, both of which are one pick behind the Steelers. Why should be throw in the extra pick for the Packers and not for the Steelers when they are giving us slightly better picks?

Fineas
04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I would take their 2nd to move back 6 spots, then take somebody elses to move back again. Second round picks are good players that play with a chip on their shoulders because they were not first round picks. As many second round picks as you can get. They cost less too.

Agreed, although I'd want to see who was there at 15 before moving back again.

eomdtbtr
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
If that trade happens I would like us to draft like this:

1st: Ted Ginn Jr
2nd A: Staley/ Stanton
2nd B: Brian Robinson
3rd: Troy Smith.

PhinGeneral
04-05-2007, 06:38 PM
They're the ones trying to get up to get the guy they want. The onus is on them to come up with what is necessary. They don't want to do it, tough. No Levi Jones for them. The only thing to consider might be whether or not they can get up higher than 9 with 15 and 46.

I absolutely agree. The draft chart is for reference purposes, it's not set in stone. If Pitt really wants Brown bad enough, they might very well be inclined to pay it.

zach8111
04-05-2007, 06:45 PM
the only way i would do it is if quinn is off the board by number 6 pick, cuz we could trade up our 1 and 3 and get quinn. of coarse CJ, JR are off the board too at #9. then if they are all gone then do it. we could maybe take ginn at #15 and stanton in the second. kalil would be there and still have many picks for CB, young LB, and other youth for the team.

Fineas
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I absolutely agree. The draft chart is for reference purposes, it's not set in stone. If Pitt really wants Brown bad enough, they might very well be inclined to pay it.

With Marvel Smith on the roster and Max Starks an RFA, it's hard to imagine that they'd be so desperate. I'd think they have a better than even chance of Brown falling to them at 15. On draft day, depending on what has happened with the first 8 picks, I might even consider trading back to 15 for their 3rd rounder (no. 77). We come out about 100 points behind on the value chart but may be able to get as good a player at 15 as at 9. Obviously, I'd rather get more, but if our board has 7-8 guys with the same grade all sitting there at 9, I'd ultimately take whatever I could get to move back to 15 (or somewhere around there). I couldn't care less that they came out ahead according to the chart or that they are the ones initiating the discussions.

dominizzo
04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Get The 15th and 46 we would have a great draft

AquaAssasin
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
You do realize that you contradict yourself with your signature. You want us to trade our 1st and 4th to Green Bay for the their 1st and 2nd, both of which are one pick behind the Steelers. Why should be throw in the extra pick for the Packers and not for the Steelers when they are giving us slightly better picks?

could happen

Fineas
04-05-2007, 07:17 PM

:lol: :lol:

wazzy
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
This would be a very nice deal if we can get another 2nd and only move down 6 spots!

Hopefully some trade like this happens so we can cover a lot of wholes that need to be covered!

Kdawg954
04-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Yea I edited it right after I realized that I probably should clarify 2 first day picks for 2 first day picks in return I wouldn't do. Thats what got me like whoa . . . I mean whats the use of trading down if we have to give up an additional first day pick to make the trade work. Even if Pittsburgh is losing out on the deal from a "value chart perspective", if they want Levi, they gotta come up out the pocket.

Damn, I mean I pressed edit right after I read my post for any misunderstandings. . . u were quick draw on that one lol.

dominizzo
04-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Get The 15th and 46 we would have a great draft

Spinelord
04-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Just so we avoid another shellacking like we took at the hands of the Vikings' draft room, of all teams

The Confessor
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
If that trade happens I would like us to draft like this:

1st: Ted Ginn Jr
2nd A: Staley/ Stanton
2nd B: Brian Robinson
3rd: Troy Smith.

Ginn YES...

But, why would you draft both Stanton and Troy Smith:goof:

Brian Robinson in the second...:lol: Maybe the second pick of the 6th round.

Djavelin
04-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Bring it on.Need them picks.I think that the pick is going to be a draft day trade.We will see.

Landry is who i want.
But Quinn would be ok.

But if we trade

Think we could get
GINN and Olsen.

Maybe Ginn falls to the 2nd and we take Olsen at 15.
And then Ginn in the 2nd.And draft ol the next 2 picks the Defense.

eomdtbtr
04-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Ginn YES...

But, why would you draft both Stanton and Troy Smith:goof:

Brian Robinson in the second...:lol: Maybe the second pick of the 6th round.

I meant to put Brandon Siler there to, but must have forgotten, so we would only take on qb. Secondly here id the link the draft I would like to see. ( don't know why I had Robinson that high:goof: But I don't expect him to make it past the fourth round.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?p=1061951188#post1061951188

PSUFinFan
04-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Yea I edited it right after I realized that I probably should clarify 2 first day picks for 2 first day picks in return I wouldn't do. Thats what got me like whoa . . . I mean whats the use of trading down if we have to give up an additional first day pick to make the trade work. Even if Pittsburgh is losing out on the deal from a "value chart perspective", if they want Levi, they gotta come up out the pocket.

Damn, I mean I pressed edit right after I read my post for any misunderstandings. . . u were quick draw on that one lol.

Ahh, I see.

The Confessor
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Bring it on.Need them picks.I think that the pick is going to be a draft day trade.We will see.

Landry is who i want.
But Quinn would be ok.

But if we trade

Think we could get
GINN and Olsen.

Maybe Ginn falls to the 2nd and we take Olsen at 15.
And then Ginn in the 2nd.And draft ol the next 2 picks the Defense.

Whooaaaa.

I am the biggest advocate of Ginn on this site, but no way is he falling to the 40. Chances would be much better getting Ginn at the 15 and Olsen falling to the second:wink:

finfan54
04-05-2007, 09:38 PM
That is of course unless we want to take Levi Brown.

I know, I know, the staff "doesnt love him".

You cant believe anything draft-related you read in the paper. Its one big game of smoke and mirrors.

Your exactly right. its a good question because if "the staff" doesnt like him, I gotta wonder what it is they see thats wrong with him because its not what other teams are saying about Brown.

If you ask me, if the Steelers go after Brown, its cus they know something we do not (staff).

Smoke and mirrors is right, but if it were to happen, I could see Greg Olsen in our future for sure at that spot and then get Oline along with one of those speed recievers.

HybridPHIN 23
04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
i want more to move from 9 to 15...... we'll pro miss out on Ginn, Willis, Carriker, Okoye, and Branch by losing 6 spots and moving our 3rd up less than a full round isnt enough unless that 2008 pick is a 3rd.

HybridPHIN 23
04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Your exactly right. its a good question because if "the staff" doesnt like him, I gotta wonder what it is they see thats wrong with him because its not what other teams are saying about Brown.

If you ask me, if the Steelers go after Brown, its cus they know something we do not (staff).

Smoke and mirrors is right, but if it were to happen, I could see Greg Olsen in our future for sure at that spot and then get Oline along with one of those speed recievers.

or they just want him more

MastR_EvaluatoR
04-06-2007, 03:38 AM
I dont buy it that that Steelers want Brown .. The Steelers best LB is Haggans and he is average at best..

I would bet dollars to donuts that the guy the Steelers want is Willis to man the middle of their defense.. Them wanting Brown is just a smokescreen at best because everyone knows he'll be there at 9 .. It's common sense.

The Steelers are hurting more on D than on offense .. Their linebacking corps is Weak !

oronde86
04-06-2007, 06:14 AM
I think that the most probable trade down scenario would be with the Packers 'cause if the browns take Quinn and pass on Peterson, Green bay will give us their 1st and 2nd picks in a hurry (maybe we'll give them a 4/5th round of next year).......we can choose between Hall, Carriker, Okoye (if still available) or a WR in the 1st and take 2 OL (Ugoh, Sears) and a QB (Stanton, Edwards) in the 2nd :italy:
:bighug:

finfan54
04-06-2007, 06:49 AM
or they just want him more

Thats my point. For the life of me I cannot understand why Levi Brown is not considered worthy of the pick at 9. The Steelers understand about drafting OLinemen and we do not or have not over the years.

THIS IS OUR PROBLEM EVERY YEAR! We deny getting good Olinemen in the first round. Not very smart. Brown is a LT regardless of what anyone says. So that means, the Steelers know this and want him more, yes, but know its the future and then they can just move people to G and Brown starts from the get go as apposed to a Joe Staley who would require some time in at other spots or would have to wait a year. That is why levi Brown is worthy of the pick at 9, he is a LT that can start right away and has the power punch and athletic ability to do what Pittsburgh does on offense.

finfan54
04-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I dont buy it that that Steelers want Brown .. The Steelers best LB is Haggans and he is average at best..

I would bet dollars to donuts that the guy the Steelers want is Willis to man the middle of their defense.. Them wanting Brown is just a smokescreen at best because everyone knows he'll be there at 9 .. It's common sense.

The Steelers are hurting more on D than on offense .. Their linebacking corps is Weak !

Makes sense and there are guys in the second round they might want but would also go before their pick in the 2nd so.....

Maggot Brain
04-06-2007, 10:23 AM
How about this as a possible Dolphins/Steelers trade:

For the rights to Miami's R1-#9 (1350 pts) and R2b-#60 (300 pts) picks, Pittsburgh gives up-

R1-#15 (1050 pts);
R2-#46 (450 pts); and
R3-#77 (205 pts).

So, in this scenario, dropping back six spots in the first round would net the Dolphins an additional third round pick and bump the second of their second round picks up 14 spots. Not too shabby if you ask me. Having the 14th pick in round two as opposed to the 28th could allow one of the following:
1. Ensure the front office gets who they may have been targetting and crossing their fingers would make it to pick 60 (especially if that pick had been earmarked for a QB and a run on the second tier QBs were to take place in the middle of round two); or
2. Give them greater draft day trade flexibility be it either to package their two seconds to get another first round pick (point wise that's enough to trade up to pick 17) if someone they really like began to fall or trade back and pick up additional pick(s) assuming they found another willing trade partner.

I know point wise this trade is in Miami's favor (either +55 or +5 pts depending on the trade value chart you use), but the party moving up (i.e. Pittsburgh) usually has to pony up a little extra and take one for the team.

As always, apologies if anyone has already proposed a similar scenario.

VT Dolphan
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I remember reading a few days ago that the Steelers were supposedly high on Joe Staley. This is the first I've heard of them being interested in Levi Brown. But if it's true I'd definitely be willing to trade down and use that number 15 pick on either Staley, Ginn maybe Carriker if he is still on the board.

Elliott 1
04-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Actually the big issue is that the Steelers aren't hurting anywhere and their LB corps were ranked near the top in the NFL last year.

They have two high comp picks in the upcoming draft and they have hardly any roster spots open. Their draft picks aren't going to be very precious when it comes to trading up.

Last year they had comp picks as well and they traded up for Santonio Holmes and the only other player that made the team and saw any action was Willie Colon. They just don't have room on their team for less than exellent players. Nice problem to have huh?

They will be trading up with somebody, I just hope it's us. I would like to see us trade a player instead of our 3rd but if we could pick up another 2 anything sounds good.

If a deal like this goes down from what we here rumored we would take Joe Staley or Ted Ginn.

I'd go with Ginn because I like Doug Free with the #60.

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
If we did this our draft could look like
15. Leon Hall/Greg Olsen
40&46. Dwayne Bowe/Sidney Rice and an OL prospect (Kalil?)
60. Kevin Kolb/Drew Stanton
71. BPA at TE/DB (depending on round 1) or OL

wow... talk about addressing tons of needs with great prospects.. i think i'd lose it if we pulled off
a draft day 1 like this
Absolutely. A great possibility for us if, and only if, we dont land Quinn. He would be the only exception for me in that scenario. I just hope we dont pull the trigger too soon before the draft. Let the draft unfold, and then make the trade, but not before hand. We dont want another JJ pre-draft trade where we traded down in the first and could have had Moss and wound up with Avery. For "Christ Sakes" i hope we dont do one of those again.

jac4247
04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Just so we avoid another shellacking like we took at the hands of the Vikings' draft room, of all teams
What a sad signature:boohoo:

MastR_EvaluatoR
04-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Actually the big issue is that the Steelers aren't hurting anywhere and their LB corps were ranked near the top in the NFL last year. .

Then you are very unfamiliar with the Steelers.. Go to any Steelers board and ask what their #1 need on defense is, and the answer is linebackers .. Haggans is their best one and he is average .. They lost Porter and have no one to replace him with..

Like I said, IMO I think they are after Patrick Willis , they really need him .. The Steelers have been known as a linebacker based defense for many many years .. They are weak there right now ..

Elliott 1
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Then you are very unfamiliar with the Steelers.. Go to any Steelers board and ask what their #1 need on defense is, and the answer is linebackers .. Haggans is their best one and he is average .. They lost Porter and have no one to replace him with..

Like I said, IMO I think they are after Patrick Willis , they really need him .. The Steelers have been known as a linebacker based defense for many many years .. They are weak there right now ..

No I'm very familiar with the Steelers and Harrison is and has been an excellent LB for the past few years. Go back and see what the actually ranking of teams defenses and their different components.

Fan boards mean nothing. Last year on this fan board we had a thread ranking DE's and a lot of posters didn't even have Jason Taylor in their top 5.
And when I say a lot I'm not exagerating.

The Steelers may want to pick up a another quality backup but their LB's are very good and have been for the last 3,4 years as a unit.

It was their LB's that won them their superbowl.

It was their LB's that led them to a 15-1 year in 2004.

They don't have any holes in their roster. Everybody can get better but they aren't weak anywhere.

YetanotherFan
04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
No I'm very familiar with the Steelers and Harrison is and has been an excellent LB for the past few years. Go back and see what the actually ranking of teams defenses and their different components.

Fan boards mean nothing. Last year on this fan board we had a thread ranking DE's and a lot of posters didn't even have Jason Taylor in their top 5.
And when I say a lot I'm not exagerating.

The Steelers may want to pick up a another quality backup but their LB's are very good and have been for the last 3,4 years as a unit.

It was their LB's that won them their superbowl.

It was their LB's that led them to a 15-1 year in 2004.

They don't have any holes in their roster. Everybody can get better but they aren't weak anywhere.

Elliot, who do the steelers have to replace Porters production at LB? I am very unfamilar with them.

BlueFin
04-07-2007, 02:18 AM

No, But I'd give them our 4th rounder instead of our third rounder, that would pu them at 1480 and us at 1500, thats the vig for moving up.

fullerboy1
04-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Whooaaaa.

I am the biggest advocate of Ginn on this site, but no way is he falling to the 40. Chances would be much better getting Ginn at the 15 and Olsen falling to the second:wink:

Exactomondo bud!!

Jaj
04-07-2007, 03:22 AM
The most that you will get out of the Steelers is perfect value on the chart. You guys really need to relax with the attitude of no deal or else. Comon, seriously they're doing us a favor. At 15 we pay a lesser salary and still get a great player, probably the same guy we're looking at with the 9th pick. Unless Quinn slides it's time to trade down. Here's an idea to accomodate both teams.

- Alan Faneca is haggling over an extension with the Steelers and I think it would be a fair deal to swap picks gaining Faneca. In fact we'll probably owe them. Some of the money saved from the swap can be used to sign him long-term. It sure as hell makes our line look much much stronger.

Elliott 1
04-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Elliot, who do the steelers have to replace Porters production at LB? I am very unfamilar with them.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_499691.html

BlueFin
04-07-2007, 09:43 AM
The most that you will get out of the Steelers is perfect value on the chart. You guys really need to relax with the attitude of no deal or else. Comon, seriously they're doing us a favor. At 15 we pay a lesser salary and still get a great player, probably the same guy we're looking at with the 9th pick. Unless Quinn slides it's time to trade down. Here's an idea to accomodate both teams.

- Alan Faneca is haggling over an extension with the Steelers and I think it would be a fair deal to swap picks gaining Faneca. In fact we'll probably owe them. Some of the money saved from the swap can be used to sign him long-term. It sure as hell makes our line look much much stronger.

What I proposed is basically an even value chart trade, what you are proposing is a joke, no way the steelers do that.

PhinGeneral
04-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Thats my point. For the life of me I cannot understand why Levi Brown is not considered worthy of the pick at 9. The Steelers understand about drafting OLinemen and we do not or have not over the years.

THIS IS OUR PROBLEM EVERY YEAR! We deny getting good Olinemen in the first round. Not very smart. Brown is a LT regardless of what anyone says. So that means, the Steelers know this and want him more, yes, but know its the future and then they can just move people to G and Brown starts from the get go as apposed to a Joe Staley who would require some time in at other spots or would have to wait a year. That is why levi Brown is worthy of the pick at 9, he is a LT that can start right away and has the power punch and athletic ability to do what Pittsburgh does on offense.

Vernon Carey.

It all depends on the value system of the front office. Many teams don't feel spending a top 10 pick on an offensive lineman is wise unless he is an elite player, and there are some teams that question that about Joe Thomas much less Levi Brown.

There's a school of thought that says Top 10 picks should be reserved for difference makers, and that history has shown you can draft offensive linemen later on and develop them into very good players.

Despite the rhetoric coming out I certainly don't think Miami is in any way discounting using their pick on Levi Brown. But IMO, I feel Miami will be looking more for a playmaker first, and would either then move back or choose Brown depending on what's left on their draft board.