PDA

View Full Version : Merrill Hoge on Quinn & Russell

utahphinsfan
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
I was watching some special on ESPN. He said that Quinn is nothing special and is "okay" & "good". Further, there is a QB that comes out every yr.

Whereas, he said a talent like Russell is special and only comes out every 7 years or so. MH sounded like he hada man crush on JaMarcus.

Merrill even said John Beck is better than Quinn. Though, Merrill called him Paul (must be the concussion). Its better than calling him Glenn Beck.

disclaimer: These are Merrill's thought NOT mine. Personally, I could care less about either BQ, JR, or Stanton for that matter.

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Merrill Hoge has always been very good at evaluating the running game, smash mouth kind of guys, i guess cause thats his specialty.

But...MH sucks when it comes to the passing game and the QB position in particular. He gets constantly outmatched in his discussions with Ron Jaws.

I wouldnt put any stock, whatsoever, in his QB evaluations!!!

fin1
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Whatever, I think people on this site put way too much in the "Brady Quinn's gonna save our franchise" mentality. Its a crap shoot plain and simple. I saw him in college just like everyone else. How would you expect a qb under Charlie Weiss to play. To be honest he didn't look all that special to me. I would rather have the Smardja kid than Quinn.

Finfan53
04-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I was watching some special on ESPN. He said that Quinn is nothing special and is "okay" & "good". Further, there is a QB that comes out every yr.

Whereas, he said a talent like Russell is special and only comes out every 7 years or so. MH sounded like he hada man crush on JaMarcus.

Merrill even said John Beck is better than Quinn. Though, Merrill called him Paul (must be the concussion). Its better than calling him Glenn Beck.

disclaimer: These are Merrill's thought NOT mine. Personally, I could care less about either BQ, JR, or Stanton for that matter.
I'm not sold on Quinn either....everybody says he misses wide open guys and nobody can understand that. Beck has maybe the strongest arm and is the most accurate of all the QB's in this draft. I'd sure be happy if we traded down, got a couple of extra picks and still got a quality player that we didn't have to pay top ten money for decreases the risk of causing salary cap difficulties down the road.

rafael
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I'd prefer to take Beck in the third (or later) than Quinn in rd 1. I've said all along that Quinn was good, but not special.

Maggot Brain
04-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Merrill Hoge has always been very good at evaluating the running game, smash mouth kind of guys, i guess cause thats his specialty.

But...MH sucks when it comes to the passing game and the QB position in particular. He gets constantly outmatched in his discussions with Ron Jaws.

You nailed it on the head with that comment. While I like Hoge as an analyst (as long as I'm not exposed to his style sense-hair and suits in particular-for long periods of time) he doesn't have "it" when it comes to breaking down quarterbacks. You don't have to look back any farther than this time last year when he was on his soapbox proclaiming Vince Young was a work in progress, would take two or three years to be NFL ready and wasn't worth more than a third round pick. Yeah, not quite, Merrill, go color coordinate your tie and handkerchief and remold that Ch, Ch, Chia hairdo of yours.

Finfan53
04-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Whatever, I think people on this site put way too much in the "Brady Quinn's gonna save our franchise" mentality. Its a crap shoot plain and simple. I saw him in college just like everyone else. How would you expect a qb under Charlie Weiss to play. To be honest he didn't look all that special to me. I would rather have the Smardja kid than Quinn.
THANK YOU!!!...glad to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. That Smardija kid was a playmaker that made Quinn look good...but now his is Chicago Cub. I would like to know what Jaworski thinks of the QB's in this draft, guess I'll have to wait till draft day

JFoxx
04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
And Merrill Hodge has what qualifications/knowledge on evaluating QB talent ? Now if you tell me Jaws, Marino or someone like Dick Vermeil see a problem with someone or that another guy has great talent, then I'll perhaps take notice. Until then Hodge, stick to FB's or hard hitting RB's.
Not flaming you UtahFinsFan, just a comment about how stupid some of these so-called sports reporters get when they get a crush on one guy or don't like another because they are highly regarded by others.

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 10:40 AM
I would love to have Smardja too, he makes everything look so easy!!! Too bad he wants to play Baseball.

You never know, we might draft him in like the 7th in order to retain his rights in case he changes his mind or is a flop in baseball in a couple of years. That would be a shot i wouldnt mind taking.

VT Dolphan
04-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm not sold on Quinn either....everybody says he misses wide open guys and nobody can understand that. Beck has maybe the strongest arm and is the most accurate of all the QB's in this draft. I'd sure be happy if we traded down, got a couple of extra picks and still got a quality player that we didn't have to pay top ten money for decreases the risk of causing salary cap difficulties down the road.

Beck has the strongest arm in this draft? Not even close. I'm pretty sure JaMarcus Russell could throw further than Beck while sitting down. Beck is more of an accurate QB and can't really heave the ball downfield too well. Beck is also a lot older than any QB prospect in this draft. He went on some religious mission for three years and walked away from football. I think he is a good prospect, but has very limited potential IMO. He will probably be nothing more than another Chris Wienke/career backup type of player.

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 10:44 AM
And Merrill Hodge has what qualifications/knowledge on evaluating QB talent ? Now if you tell me Jaws, Marino or someone like Dick Vermeil see a problem with someone or that another guy has great talent, then I'll perhaps take notice. Until then Hodge, stick to FB's or hard hitting RB's.
Not flaming you UtahFinsFan, just a comment about how stupid some of these so-called sports reporters get when they get a crush on one guy or don't like another because they are highly regarded by others.
Exactly!!! MH seems to get something in his head, and thats IT, you cant convince him otherwise. He doesnt listen to a different opinion than his. He falls in love with some guy, and acts like thats it, theres no one else that can do it any different or any better than him. He makes me sick when he gets like that. He's just way too headstrong on his opinions!!!

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 10:50 AM
You nailed it on the head with that comment. While I like Hoge as an analyst (as long as I'm not exposed to his style sense-hair and suits in particular-for long periods of time) he doesn't have "it" when it comes to breaking down quarterbacks. You don't have to look back any farther than this time last year when he was on his soapbox proclaiming Vince Young was a work in progress, would take two or three years to be NFL ready and wasn't worth more than a third round pick. Yeah, not quite, Merrill, go color coordinate your tie and handkerchief and remold that Ch, Ch, Chia hairdo of yours.
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: Too Funny man!!!!

When i watch MH, i keep waiting on him to jump over the table and pounce on Jaws and start beating his a** or something. He is so intense in his opinions and acts like a jerk when Jaws talks about the passing game. You would think that him playing in the NFL for a number of years, that he would have a better grasp on the passing game than he does.

invertedboarder
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
hodge is a ****ing idiot

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
hodge is a ****ing idiot
Yep...that's what we think too. You just put it more simply than we did!!!

amir7
04-06-2007, 11:11 AM
did anybody hear him say that oakland should land the 1st two picks in the draft? what an idiot. he said that they should offer Moss and their second round pick to Detroit, and that they would accept that trade. hodge is a moron

invertedboarder
04-06-2007, 11:12 AM
"a guy like this comes around every 7-10 years" shut the **** up

he said that four ****ing times.

sorry im so grumpy, i havent had my morning chew

LarryFinFan
04-06-2007, 11:15 AM

I don't think it's a matter of people necessarily thinking Quinn is our next generation Marino, so much as he was (at one time) considered to be available to us and we certainly need a franchise type QB. If you had watched Cutler in college, you'd have thought the same thing, but he looks to be a very good pro QB. Whether BQ is that kind of guy, you're right, it's a crap shoot, but so is just about every other player coming out every year...there are no real certainties when dealing with these kids. Some look to fare better than others, after all Tom Brady was just another draft pick for his first season...

I'm not opposed to taking or not taking Quinn. But we need to draft some young gun to groom and/or start here.

But the main point here is that we need a QB to either start or groom and Quinn at one point looked to drop to us...so everyone joined in the bandwagon...

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
did anybody hear him say that oakland should land the 1st two picks in the draft? what an idiot. he said that they should offer Moss and their second round pick to Detroit, and that they would accept that trade. hodge is a moron
No I didnt hear that. But yes, he is a moron!!!

Finfan53
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Beck has the strongest arm in this draft? Not even close. I'm pretty sure JaMarcus Russell could throw further than Beck while sitting down. Beck is more of an accurate QB and can't really heave the ball downfield too well. Beck is also a lot older than any QB prospect in this draft. He went on some religious mission for three years and walked away from football. I think he is a good prospect, but has very limited potential IMO. He will probably be nothing more than another Chris Wienke/career backup type of player.
They also said Brees didn't have a strong arm coming out of Purdue.... I think we've learned that sitting down or throwing off your knees doesn't mean much in being a good quarterback, just ask the Baltimore Raven fans.
I don't think Beck walked away from football, alot of players at BYU do missions as such.

PhinfanUK
04-06-2007, 12:12 PM

Man, that is a dumb trade idea.

SgtPhin
04-06-2007, 12:21 PM
MH is a talking head that no real football fan should ever listen to. He's dumber than dirt about football, QB's especially!

utahphinsfan
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM

No worries. I thought Merrill's comments were amusing and agree w/ the consensus regarding MH's analysis of QB's.

For the record, I am skeptical of so-called experts and their opinions. I'd love to get paid to BS & be wrong at my job too.

I am not sold on Quinn but would rather have him than Stanton. Russell has alot of raw athletic ability but so does Michael Vick. JaMarcus has a better chance of being a bust than Brady.

If Cam & Randy decide Brady's the man then I'm fine with. I truly don't think that BQ will be all-world & an instant lock for the HOF from day 1. His success depends on the situation. He could have a Theisman like career or be the 2nd coming of Rick Mirer... Russell will either be an instant superstar or the next Marinovich/Leaf.

Truth be told; I'd rather get Rowe, Z Taylor, John Beck or Kolb this yr and if possible Brohm or Henne next year.

finfan54
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Every player has flaws. There human after all. To me for a good QB, you have to have a winning desire and know your stuff and look to improve every aspect of your game with a long term driven attitude towards doing something big other than earning a big *** paycheck. Quinn is that IMO, regardless of his flaws. Over time you become great, not right away. Peyton Manning sucked for years before he got really good.

taylormvp99
04-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Hoge has no idea about QBs. He said Vince Young would be drafted as a 3rd round reciever. Enough said.

zonk4ever
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Great points. This Brady Quinn love affair is insane. Right now he's a nice prospect: good size, athletic, strong, a productive "system" quarterback playing for arguably the best offensive mind in football (college or pro). He wouldn't / couldn't compete in the Senior Bowl, his Pro Day workout was ORCHESTRATED / CHOREOGRAPHED by Weis 100%. His arm is good not great and he has come up short in some big games. The problem is: because he played in such a great system with a great head coach, it's hard to say he'll be an unqualified NFL success. Russell has the "magic" about him because he really is "larger than life" . I pass on both at 9 because the learning curve for a rookie quarterback is too long to overpay and we have needs elsewhere. Not making any effort to pursue Carr was a really bad decision by the front office, and so far the offseason has been all about diarrhea of the roster and excluding, Joey Porter, nothing else.

PerfectFinz72
04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Hoge is an idiot who talks out his you-know-what. I don't take what he says with much merit. He thinks cause he used to play football he knows everything....but he's hardly a great analyst. Any sports fan who is a fanatic can be an analyst, thats the bottomline. If you know sports, you can draw some opinionated/factual conclusion about players and teams. I do it all the time as do many people who post on this board as do many of my friends. They just get the air time because they're former athletes.

PerfectFinz72
04-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Yeh, but you know what....at some point we have to take a chance. How many times are we NOT going to draft a QB and bring in an OLD QB vet or never have been backup QBs. At some point, you need to take a chance even if its a crap shoot. I'll tell ya what, agree or not....even guys like Peyton Manning are a crap shoot because you just never know what could happen to a player. Put him on the wrong team or wrong situational or if the player gets an injury...anything could happen. I say take a chance already, I'm tired of the perenial backup QB.

NE DOLFAN
04-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeh, but you know what....at some point we have to take a chance. How many times are we NOT going to draft a QB and bring in an OLD QB vet or never have been backup QBs. At some point, you need to take a chance even if its a crap shoot. I'll tell ya what, agree or not....even guys like Peyton Manning are a crap shoot because you just never know what could happen to a player. Put him on the wrong team or wrong situational or if the player gets an injury...anything could happen. I say take a chance already, I'm tired of the perenial backup QB.

I aggree. Plus, I like the idea of an offensive-mided coach like Cam working with a youg talented QB, as opposed to Wannstedt or Saban bringing in a QB from another NFL team that either failed or got mixed results. Even though we're taking a chance, I like our chances better under the current regime.

Fin-omenal
04-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Uh huh....people want a QB way too bad round here.....cant blame anyone but Id take any of the 3 last year over Quinn easy.

I didnt have a GF for like 5 years but that doesnt mean I started liking fat women just to say I did have a GF....Mueller will find us a qb but its not Quinn.

HybridPHIN 23
04-06-2007, 02:59 PM
i'll never forget what Hodgey said yesterday about the pats lining up Adalius Thomas and Mike Vrabel as corners and how scarey it would be...........:sidelol:

please ESPN stop him he is sabotaging the future of football IQ

utahphinsfan
04-06-2007, 03:26 PM
i'll never forget what Hodgey said yesterday about the pats lining up Adalius Thomas and Mike Vrabel as corners and how scarey it would be...........:sidelol:

please ESPN stop him he is sabotaging the future of football IQ

I forgot about that. I wonder what Randy Cross thought? :evil:

utahphinsfan
04-06-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't think Beck walked away from football, alot of players at BYU do missions as such.

You are correct. Not only, BYU but Utah & Utah St as well.

FWIW; Marvin Philip (Center from Cal) who was drafted by the Steelers last year served an LDS mission... I think the experts used his age last year as a concern. There are others such as Ben Olson who transfered from BYU to UCLA.

Phinzone
04-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Uh huh....people want a QB way too bad round here.....cant blame anyone but Id take any of the 3 last year over Quinn easy.

I didnt have a GF for like 5 years but that doesnt mean I started liking fat women just to say I did have a GF....Mueller will find us a qb but its not Quinn.

He's a fantastic prospect who's flourished in a pro style offense on an underachieving team. He can make all the throws, is a film hound, and in great physical shape (compared to his competition Jamarcus)

What more do you want from a prospect?

jlfin
04-06-2007, 04:26 PM

"Smardja" doesn't play QB :D
I don't anyone has stated that Quinn is going to save the franchise, but he's a solid prospect. Like most highly rated QB's after their Jr yr in college they get overscrutinized and overanalyzed. Historically, those QB's who started and had success for more than 2 yrs usually turn out to be the real deal.

josekareh
04-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Just Check this Kid Out...

Not a Savior, just a plain GIFTED QB

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=148066

LightsOut
04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
i like hoge. he's wrong a lot but at least he speaks his mind. he looks dead wrong on vince young but he will never admit it lol. he did say aaron rodgers wasn't any good. that prediction doesn't look to bad.

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 06:06 PM
He's a fantastic prospect who's flourished in a pro style offense on an underachieving team. He can make all the throws, is a film hound, and in great physical shape (compared to his competition Jamarcus)

What more do you want from a prospect?

That's it, there's nothing else to want!!!

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
i like hoge. he's wrong a lot but at least he speaks his mind. he looks dead wrong on vince young but he will never admit it lol. he did say aaron rodgers wasn't any good. that prediction doesn't look to bad.

Yea, i love to watch him and see what stupid crap he is gonna say, that, and what "new SPORTY hair style of the week he is got!":lol:

TexanPhinatic
04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Wow whats with all the delusional Quinn haters in this thread. This dude could be the best QB to come out since Manning (Peyton not Eli). Yes its a crapshoot and yes, he could bust, but guess what-so can anyone else.

Not that I think Quinn has really any chance of falling to us, but he would be best possible pick we could come away with by far and could propel this team to a new level. Is one player ever a savior? No. But Quinn is still a damn good QB who can elevate his team the way Tom Brady/Carson Palmer/Peyton Manning can.
Would easily take him over any of the QBs last year or JaMarcus this year.

Fin-omenal
04-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Wow whats with all the delusional Quinn haters in this thread. This dude could be the best QB to come out since Manning (Peyton not Eli). Yes its a crapshoot and yes, he could bust, but guess what-so can anyone else.

Not that I think Quinn has really any chance of falling to us, but he would be best possible pick we could come away with by far and could propel this team to a new level. Is one player ever a savior? No. But Quinn is still a damn good QB who can elevate his team the way Tom Brady/Carson Palmer/Peyton Manning can.
Would easily take him over any of the QBs last year or JaMarcus this year.

Quinn will NOT be there at 9, and Mueller is too smart to trade the house to move up and get'm.....bottom line Quinn might be great he might not..my point is he will not be a Dolphin..Why keep talking about it???

Danikus
04-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Quinn will NOT be there at 9, and Mueller is too smart to trade the house to move up and get'm.....bottom line Quinn might be great he might not..my point is he will not be a Dolphin..Why keep talking about it???

That is your OPINION, you nor anyone else here knows what will actually happen. People talk about it because they want it to happen, and it could:tongue:

Agent51
04-07-2007, 02:43 PM

You know what, yeah, Hodge IS a moron, and no way Moss and their 2nd equals Detroits #2, but can you IMAGINE if the Raiders figured out a way to get Detroits #2 also? IDK what they'd have to do, maybe the 2nd and 3rd this year, and a 1st next year? But man, the Raiders taking Russell AND Calvin Johnson? I can't stand Russell, and I don't even think he deserves to be in round 1, but if he IS as good as everyone says, then imagine him and Calvin Johnson together. You'd have Russell's big arm to give Moss his cherry pick TDs, since all he does is run outs, and you'd have CJ to do everything from running an out route to getting the touch yards to the inside.

This is purely for fun, obviously I don't REALLY think Oakland would get Detroits #2.

esafille
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Except in this case, Jaws AGREES with him that Beck is a good QB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MflFK7Q0o9E

Roman529
05-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Merrill should just focus on the frosted tips in his hair. Hoge and Salisbury steak rub me the wrong way. I like Jaworski's evaluations much more as he tells it like it is, and is honest. He also is a good evaluator of talent, especially at QB.

utahphinsfan
05-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Merrill should just focus on the frosted tips in his hair. Hoge and Salisbury steak rub me the wrong way. I like Jaworski's evaluations much more as he tells it like it is, and is honest. He also is a good evaluator of talent, especially at QB.

As Homer S might say,
Mmmmmm! Steak rub..

Retnuhrace
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Jaws was actually very insightful about the QBs during the draft, breaking down game tape for the audience and analyzing the specifics, using technical football jargon.

dlockz
05-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Jaws was actually very insightful about the QBs during the draft, breaking down game tape for the audience and analyzing the specifics, using technical football jargon.

Was he the one talking about Edwards as he went through multiple reads, that was impressive in analysis and Edwards performance on the highlight.

KB21
05-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Some of you guys really need to get a grip. Merrill Hodge and Ron Jaworski are two of the only legitimate analysts that actually sit down and watch the coach's film of these players. They are much better and much more qualified to give their opinions and evaluations on prospects than someone like Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, or any of the other talking heads when it comes draft time.

Both of these guys are more than just talking heads at ESPN. They are legitimate evaluators because of the work they do in the film room and for NFL Films.

Merrill Hodge is one guy you should definitely listen to. He may not have played quarterback, but he's been in the league and knows what type of quarterback that makes it in the NFL.

I'll give you two examples.

Mike Williams and Vince Young.

He and Mel Kiper almost had a fight over Mike Williams in the 2005 draft, with Merrill saying that Mike didn't have the suddeness or burst of speed to be a wide receiver in the NFL. Two years later, Merrill Hodge is being proved right.

I know most of you have bought into the media hype surrounding Vince Young, and it's really a shame when the media has so much control over you that you will believe the agenda that they are pushing. The fact is, Vince Young is nothing but a media creation at this time in his career. He was one of the least accurate passers in the NFL last season after completing only 51% of his passes, and this was despite having one of the NFL's best running attacks on his side. Vince also threw more interceptions than touchdowns. This is a guy that the media wants to push, and the media will completely ignore the facts to push their agenda on this issue.

The fact is, Vince Young is a terrible quarterback. He's no different than Michael Vick, and even with Vick, the media still hasn't let go and admitted that the guy simply cannot play quarterback in the NFL.

Phanatical
05-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Some of you guys really need to get a grip. Merrill Hodge and Ron Jaworski are two of the only legitimate analysts that actually sit down and watch the coach's film of these players. They are much better and much more qualified to give their opinions and evaluations on prospects than someone like Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, or any of the other talking heads when it comes draft time.

Both of these guys are more than just talking heads at ESPN. They are legitimate evaluators because of the work they do in the film room and for NFL Films.

Merrill Hodge is one guy you should definitely listen to. He may not have played quarterback, but he's been in the league and knows what type of quarterback that makes it in the NFL.

I'll give you two examples.

Mike Williams and Vince Young.

He and Mel Kiper almost had a fight over Mike Williams in the 2005 draft, with Merrill saying that Mike didn't have the suddeness or burst of speed to be a wide receiver in the NFL. Two years later, Merrill Hodge is being proved right.

I know most of you have bought into the media hype surrounding Vince Young, and it's really a shame when the media has so much control over you that you will believe the agenda that they are pushing. The fact is, Vince Young is nothing but a media creation at this time in his career. He was one of the least accurate passers in the NFL last season after completing only 51% of his passes, and this was despite having one of the NFL's best running attacks on his side. Vince also threw more interceptions than touchdowns. This is a guy that the media wants to push, and the media will completely ignore the facts to push their agenda on this issue.

The fact is, Vince Young is a terrible quarterback. He's no different than Michael Vick, and even with Vick, the media still hasn't let go and admitted that the guy simply cannot play quarterback in the NFL.

Sounds a lot like Culpepper.