PDA

View Full Version : raiders draft pick being signed soon!

zach8111
04-06-2007, 02:44 PM
i read an article that said the raiders might be naming their draft pick soon, even before the draft. they will even sign him too. i also heard it is between russell or johnson, but they have been leaning towards johnson now. they could be naming him within the next week or so.

Regan21286
04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
If it's Johnson, it could mean that Quinn could fall if Detroit decides they want Stanton and Browns pick Savage fave Russell.

SR 7
04-06-2007, 02:50 PM
no way? lets go CJ! c'mon QUINN! lol

pennPhinFan
04-06-2007, 02:52 PM
smoke screen.. they want Gruden's draft picks

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Link????

eomdtbtr
04-06-2007, 03:04 PM
smoke screen.. they want Gruden's draft picks
I instantly thought that, and if the raiders pick CJ I still think the Lions will pick Quinn.

Link?

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 03:15 PM
I instantly thought that, and if the raiders pick CJ I still think the Lions will pick Quinn.

Link?

Maybe so??? But hope not.

FrostyFinFan
04-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Another obstacle could be the Vikings. They too are interested in Quinn, and also Ginn. At least that is the rumor at this time.

CANDolphan
04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Where did you see the Vikings being interested in Ted Ginn?

The last thing they need is a blazing fast WR thats 6 feet tall with questionable hands, and their HC has said numerous times, before the draft, that he doesnt like WRs being taken in the first round

LarryFinFan
04-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Linky or opinion ??

colmax
04-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Link????

Exactly. I did not know a team could actually sign a player before the draft, but I guess it does not seem out of the question since they have the 1st overall.

You're in the "The Hub City" Fins? I'm originally from the coast. How are things down there?

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Exactly. I did not know a team could actually sign a player before the draft, but I guess it does not seem out of the question since they have the 1st overall.

You're in the "The Hub City" Fins? I'm originally from the coast. How are things down there?

Hey there fellow Mississippian!!! Love your sig man...too bad we dont need a LB and have needs everywhere else. Willis is gona be a MANCHILD and he will be there @ 9 too.

P.S. i have really good personal insight on Willis from a guy who has known him his whole life. He cant quit talking about how great a guy he is, about his ethics, work habits, etc.

Dfan06
04-06-2007, 03:36 PM

they did last year with mario williams. i think that is stupid you can't trade down at the last minute and teams knows who you are picking.

zach8111
04-06-2007, 03:38 PM

they usuaqlly sign the first pick before the draft day. last year mario williams was picked up a few days before the draft and had already signed a contract with the texans before the draft even started

Dfan06
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Link?

I doubt they would pass on russell. a man such a strong arm fits that offense perfectly.

colmax
04-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey there fellow Mississippian!!! Love your sig man...too bad we dont need a LB and have needs everywhere else. Willis is gona be a MANCHILD and he will be there @ 9 too.

P.S. i have really good personal insight on Willis from a guy who has known him his whole life. He cant quit talking about how great a guy he is, about his ethics, work habits, etc.

Hell yeah, bro! I know the likelihood of Miami drafting Willis is slimmer than slim, but I can dream, eh?

Yeah, Willis is a great dude. Genuine guy who does not make excuses for his past adversities. He is surely gonna be missed......

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Hell yeah, bro! I know the likelihood of Miami drafting Willis is slimmer than slim, but I can dream, eh?

Yeah, Willis is a great dude. Genuine guy who does not make excuses for his past adversities. He is surely gonna be missed......
Man that dude can really motor man. He gets to the ball quicker than a cat can lick his arz!!! He's gona be a great player for years i do believe.:bighug:

colmax
04-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Man that dude can really motor man. He gets to the ball quicker than a cat can lick his arz!!! He's gona be a great player for years i do believe.:bighug:

:lol:

СЯΘΜ
04-06-2007, 04:39 PM
If Oakland does sign the first pick before the draft does that allow Detroit, with second pick, an opportunity to a sign the player they would like to select? Seems like that would be like putting the eggs before the chicken but just wondering?:stuck:

MiamiMan147
04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
IMHO, the Raiders picking Johnson increases the likelihood of Detroit taking one of the 2 QBs in the first round. Reason being is that Oakland is more likely to take a round 2 QB, making it riskier for Detroit to depend of Edwards or Stanton being there.

Finsfan1984
04-06-2007, 05:13 PM
If Oakland does sign the first pick before the draft does that allow Detroit, with second pick, an opportunity to a sign the player they would like to select? Seems like that would be like putting the eggs before the chicken but just wondering?:stuck:

And then Cleveland can go ahead and sign theres...and so-on and so-on, that way we would have a good idea what everyone was doing and all...sounds great to me. lol

dolfan72734me
04-06-2007, 05:37 PM

:wave: Right on. I am from Biloxi myself.

pennPhinFan
04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
I doubt they would pass on russell. a man such a strong arm fits that offense perfectly.

since when have the lions had an offense? :D

TexanPhinatic
04-06-2007, 06:40 PM
The Raiders would be stupid to pass on CJ and I expect to have him signed before the draft. Hes the best WR prospect since Moss by far, and with none of the baggage that followed him around. He will make the QB better, rather than the other way around.
The #1 pick is actually often signed before the draft, but its rarer for the #2 pick.

Kdawg954
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
The Raiders would be stupid to pass on CJ and I expect to have him signed before the draft. Hes the best WR prospect since Moss by far, and with none of the baggage that followed him around. He will make the QB better, rather than the other way around.
The #1 pick is actually often signed before the draft, but its rarer for the #2 pick.

I would throw Larry Fitzgerald as not a better prospect . . . but the last high WR that had this much hype. CJ IMO is a can't miss pick

Jaj
04-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't remember it ever happening actually.

Dark horse for the second selection right now is Gaines Adams. Nobody is buying the Lion's attempts to trade down.

Some may laugh at this but it's possible:

1- Johnson
2- Adams
3- Russell
4- Here's the real shocker, Arizona knows they won't take a QB nor a RB nor a LT with Petitgout's contract, they end up taking Amobi Okoye at the 4 with a forced reach
5- Thomas

Dolfan11
04-06-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't remember it ever happening actually.

Dark horse for the second selection right now is Gaines Adams. Nobody is buying the Lion's attempts to trade down.

Some may laugh at this but it's possible:

1- Johnson
2- Adams
3- Russell
4- Here's the real shocker, Arizona knows they won't take a QB nor a RB nor a LT with Petitgout's contract, they end up taking Amobi Okoye at the 4 with a forced reach
5- Thomas

That could happen, but this is what I think could happen:

(1) Raiders - Adrian Peterson
(2) Lions - Gaines Adams
(3) Browns - Jamarcus Russell
(4) Buccaneers - Calvin Johnson
(5) Cardinals - Joe Thomas
(6) Redskins - Amobi Okoye
(7) Vikings - Jamaal Anderson
(8) Falcons - LaRon Landry
(9) Dolphins - Quinn, Ginn, Willis, Brown, trade?

Jaj
04-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Why would they draft Peterson over a much larger need and an even better prospect in Johnson?

Kdawg954
04-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Why would they draft Peterson over a much larger need and an even better prospect in Johnson?

I disagree in saying CJ is a better prospect than AP. AP is possibly the best RB prospect in years. HIs injury history is scary but his potential is amazing. Plus he can touch the ball 20+ times a game . . .. CJ maybe 5 or 6. CJ is the safer pick IMO.

trate121hb
04-06-2007, 07:28 PM
where is the link!!!

TexanPhinatic
04-06-2007, 07:29 PM
1)CJ to Raiders
2)Quinn to Lions
3)Peterson to Browns
4)Thomas to Tampa
5)Adams to Cards
6)Anderson to Skins
7)Willis to Vikes
8)Landry to Falcs
9)Ginn to Phins

TexanPhinatic
04-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I disagree in saying CJ is a better prospect than AP. AP is possibly the best RB prospect in years. HIs injury history is scary but his potential is amazing. Plus he can touch the ball 20+ times a game . . .. CJ maybe 5 or 6. CJ is the safer pick IMO.

No way is AP the better prospect. CJ may not touch the ball as much, but the way he will force defenses to respect him anyway means just as much. He also lacks the injuries of AP and WR is a longer lasting position to begin with.
AP has some scary talent to be sure, but CJ is just that good.

Kdawg954
04-06-2007, 07:37 PM
No way is AP the better prospect. CJ may not touch the ball as much, but the way he will force defenses to respect him anyway means just as much. He also lacks the injuries of AP and WR is a longer lasting position to begin with.
AP has some scary talent to be sure, but CJ is just that good.

If healthy . . . he has LT ability . . . believe that, except he is quicker than LT. Man I hope this kid stays healthy, he is gonna be Barry Sanders like in the NFL. I guess u are right in saying CJ is the best prospect, but AP is the steal of this draft IMO. He is gonna be an amzing RB in this league.

If AP was healthy in college . . . . he would be the hands down number one pick.

TexanPhinatic
04-06-2007, 07:43 PM
If healthy . . . he has LT ability . . . believe that, except he is quicker than LT. Man I hope this kid stays healthy, he is gonna be Barry Sanders like in the NFL. I guess u are right in saying CJ is the best prospect, but AP is the steal of this draft IMO. He is gonna be an amzing RB in this league.

If AP was healthy in college . . . . he would be the hands down number one pick.

I know its way early, but Id say both CJ and AP are legit hall of fame possibilities, both are just sick. IMO I think Quinn could be a HoF guy as well. This draft is just loaded with players up and down.

finfan54
04-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Oh I dont know about that my man. To me, it goes like this as far as #9 goes:

1. Brady Quinn
2. Laron Landry
3. Patrick Willis
4. Levi Brown (Levi gets the edge for me based on need and position but the others are definitely sure PB players while Brown is a sure LT IMO)
Okoye is also appealing because the guy can play DT/DE IMO but unlike mock draft experts, they do not really understand that DT is not a real heavy need.

Mike13
04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
I haven't heard this anywhere.

Agent51
04-06-2007, 09:12 PM
If it's Johnson, it could mean that Quinn could fall if Detroit decides they want Stanton and Browns pick Savage fave Russell.

How do we know the Browns liking Russell isn't a "smoke screen" (anyone else find that phrase INSANELY annoying? :tantrum:)? If Russell is the projected #1 (in terms of projected pick, not in terms of talent) but the Raiders are also rumored to be considering CJ, doesn't that make there a possibility that Russell AND Quinn could fall to the Browns? That would mean by them saying They are interested in Russell, people will want to trade up with them to get him if the Raiders and Lions don't. If they rave about Quinn then if both QBs slide everyone knows they aren't going to take Russell, but if thei fein interest in both, nobody knows what will happen if they both fall to 3, and then people get nervous and make (sometimes stupid) trades. It's a great strategy, especially if they plan on taking Peterson, because then yu have offers for BOTH QBs, and trading down some spots doesn't hurt you for the guy you want (depending on how far down though, because Peterson isn't going to be there mid-round).

IDK, I just don't believe ANYTHING this time of year, be it interest or non-interest in players.

Regan21286
04-06-2007, 10:41 PM
How do we know the Browns liking Russell isn't a "smoke screen" (anyone else find that phrase INSANELY annoying? :tantrum:)? If Russell is the projected #1 (in terms of projected pick, not in terms of talent) but the Raiders are also rumored to be considering CJ, doesn't that make there a possibility that Russell AND Quinn could fall to the Browns? That would mean by them saying They are interested in Russell, people will want to trade up with them to get him if the Raiders and Lions don't. If they rave about Quinn then if both QBs slide everyone knows they aren't going to take Russell, but if thei fein interest in both, nobody knows what will happen if they both fall to 3, and then people get nervous and make (sometimes stupid) trades. It's a great strategy, especially if they plan on taking Peterson, because then yu have offers for BOTH QBs, and trading down some spots doesn't hurt you for the guy you want (depending on how far down though, because Peterson isn't going to be there mid-round).

IDK, I just don't believe ANYTHING this time of year, be it interest or non-interest in players.

Because Phil Savage actually does have that relationship with Russell. He's scouted him in high school 7 years ago back when he was with the Ravens and he liked him back then. It's either that or this is the most complex and most planned out smokescreen in the history of planned strategies. And that must mean Savage is psychic or a genius for knowing around 7 years ago that Russell was going to be a top 3 pick this year, that he would eventually become the Browns GM, and that he can use Russell as a smokescreen to get Brady Quinn because the Browns would have a high draft pick (ok, that's not a surprise considering it's the Browns, but still). Pretty hard to bluff when your cards have been out in the open for 7 years. :ninja:

Dolfan11
04-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Jordan was hurt lat year, and is 29. You know the stereotype of running backs in their 30's. In his case almost 30. AP, IMHO, is as much an elite prospect as Calvin Johnson. Truth is Raiders could use Johnson, Peterson, or Russell. Everyone talks about them taking Johnson or Russell, but you never know.

fishypete
04-07-2007, 12:49 AM

Work habits and mental capacity have alot to do with football....Russell is being compared to a young Culpepper...that alone would scare me...to C. Johnson.

Phinfan31
04-07-2007, 03:08 AM
1)CJ to Raiders
2)Quinn to Lions
3)Peterson to Browns
4)Thomas to Tampa
5)Adams to Cards
6)Anderson to Skins
7)Willis to Vikes
8)Landry to Falcs
9)Ginn to Phins

Where the hell is Jamarcus Russell??

Jaj
04-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Apparently he thinks he's sliding to 23 to the Chiefs.

PhinfanUK
04-07-2007, 06:12 AM

They will come to an agreement over a contract, I don't think he can actually sign it until they draft him.

PhinfanUK
04-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Work habits and mental capacity have alot to do with football....Russell is being compared to a young Culpepper...that alone would scare me...to C. Johnson.

You mean the young Culpepper that made the pro bowl in his first season as a starter? Yeah, scary.

Kdawg954
04-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Where the hell is Jamarcus Russell??

If JAmarcus gets past Cleveland . . . . then he may slide all the way to us . . . but not sure if we take him (tho this franchise needs a QB, and he has a big big big arm).

I still think the top 3 will be CJ, Quinn, Russell. If AP passes Cleveland . . . he may get to us as well (Atlanta being a dark horse . . . tho if Landry is there . . . that is Atlantas pick)