PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the Madden 08 cover athlete?

DrewAlmighty
04-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Well, who do you think?

Personally, I think it's going to be Drew Brees. There's a darkhorse though, alot, ALOT, of talk saying that it could be Chad Pennington. He doesn't need help getting injured, so I don't want to see it.

Who do you guys think makes it?

Dolfan11
04-06-2007, 04:55 PM
:lolcry: Chad Pennington :lolcry:

Brown42000
04-06-2007, 05:05 PM
They would lose a lot of respect if they put Chad Pennington on the cover.

DrewAlmighty
04-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I've heard it alot of places.

Apparently there is a new "leadership" factor. They went with a random guy for NCAA too, the Boise State QB.

Majpain
04-06-2007, 05:38 PM
I honestly think its JT.

Agent51
04-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I've heard it alot of places.

Apparently there is a new "leadership" factor. They went with a random guy for NCAA too, the Boise State QB.

Well, the NCAA cover wasn't "random" if you think about it. Who would you have put? Troy Smith? He bombed in the big game. Anyone from the Gators? They were spotty and inconsistent all year and wo a LOT of games they shouldn' have, and none of them truely dominated the field. Adrian Peterson? Injured half the year. Calvin Johnson? His team did nothing. Brady Quinn? Had a horrible finish to his career. Jamarcus Russell? What did he do all year? Joe Thomas? An OL on the cover of Madden? (only even suggested Thomas because I was naming the projected top 5 draft picks)

So it makes SENSE Zabransky is the cover athlete. He put up big numbers all year, his team even GETTING a BCS bowl was a "cinderella story", nevermind knocking off a big time BCS team in a big time BCS bowl, and with last minute (literally) heroics to boot. I honestly can't see a BETTER candidate. Sure, there are better football players out there, but who had a better season from begining to end, and who had the better story to go with it?

As far as Madden goes, I'd give it to Peyton. He FINALLY won a SB, and I really can't think of anyone else who you could make a SERIOUS case for that would top the story of Manning FINALLY winning the big game.

Mike13
04-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I honestly think its JT.

STFU don't put it out there!

Dolfan11
04-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, the NCAA cover wasn't "random" if you think about it. Who would you have put? Troy Smith? He bombed in the big game. Anyone from the Gators? They were spotty and inconsistent all year and wo a LOT of games they shouldn' have, and none of them truely dominated the field. Adrian Peterson? Injured half the year. Calvin Johnson? His team did nothing. Brady Quinn? Had a horrible finish to his career. Jamarcus Russell? What did he do all year? Joe Thomas? An OL on the cover of Madden? (only even suggested Thomas because I was naming the projected top 5 draft picks)

So it makes SENSE Zabransky is the cover athlete. He put up big numbers all year, his team even GETTING a BCS bowl was a "cinderella story", nevermind knocking off a big time BCS team in a big time BCS bowl, and with last minute (literally) heroics to boot. I honestly can't see a BETTER candidate. Sure, there are better football players out there, but who had a better season from begining to end, and who had the better story to go with it?

As far as Madden goes, I'd give it to Peyton. He FINALLY won a SB, and I really can't think of anyone else who you could make a SERIOUS case for that would top the story of Manning FINALLY winning the big game.

I'd say Peyton as well, but if I remember correctly, they've never put a player who has won a Super Bowl the previous year. Coincidence or on purpose? Who knows.

I personally think Drew Brees is the guy who's going to be on the cover. if not, a shot of the whole entire Chargers offensive line (going out on a limb here, I know).

Desides
04-06-2007, 07:42 PM
LaDainian Tomlinson. This isn't even a serious question.

Agent51
04-06-2007, 08:57 PM

That would be cool, as he is my favorite NFL player, but it would suck if he got hurt "from the curse", as I always manage to nab him in Fantasy Football, and he SINGLE HANDEDLY wins me games. It was funny last year when everyone in my 4 leagues listened to the "experts" and picked Larry Johnson first and I was like HA!, suckers. I took LT 1st overall in 1 league and 3 people typed "you just blew that pick" (or something along those lines) in the chatbox. Oh I did huh? Another league I got LT at pick FIVE. It went Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, Peyton Manning, Randy Moss, my LT pick :lol:. The other 2 leagues he was gone before I picked, but Larry Johnson went before him in both of those too :shakeno:

Silverphin
04-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I honestly think its JT.

I hope to God that is not the case.

Majpain
04-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I hope to God that is not the case.

I hated to say it but I honestly think thats what EA wants to do.

Mike13
04-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I hated to say it but I honestly think thats what EA wants to do.

JT still has the choice to turn them down.

JuanchoColombia
04-06-2007, 11:34 PM

I don't think so, I don't see them giving the cover and the "new feature" to rb's two years in a row... I think the new feature this year could be either in passing defense or in WR's, so I'm guessing the cover could be Champ Bailey, Reggie Wayne or Chad Johnson

Desides
04-07-2007, 04:42 AM
I don't think so, I don't see them giving the cover and the "new feature" to rb's two years in a row...

How about two MVPs in a row?

Pagan
04-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Don't laugh so hard guys...it's gonna be Pennington.

I went into EB Games yesterday and the sign for pre-orders showed him on the cover. Unless of course, they're doing regional advertising.

:shakeno:

AirMarino83
04-07-2007, 03:30 PM
pennington? huh? no way...

Majpain
04-07-2007, 04:09 PM
:lol: Pennington. Well the madden curse continues.

JuanchoColombia
04-07-2007, 04:28 PM
How about two MVPs in a row?

what I'm saying is that EA won't go the same way two years in a row, they already focused on the running game last year: the main new features last year were the Highlight Stick and the Lead Blocker Control, the taglines were "run for daylight" and "year of the running back", so I don't see them focusing again in the same thing they did last year.

Wombat
04-07-2007, 04:44 PM
It better not be LT. :(

Desides
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM
what I'm saying is that EA won't go the same way two years in a row, they already focused on the running game last year: the main new features last year were the Highlight Stick and the Lead Blocker Control, the taglines were "run for daylight" and "year of the running back", so I don't see them focusing again in the same thing they did last year.

Repetitive or not, I just cannot envision Madden '08 without LT on the cover. Okay, fine, Payton Manning has a shot, but winning the Super Bowl is not a requirement to be on the cover of the game. (Just ask Shaun Alexander.)

Agent51
04-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Repetitive or not, I just cannot envision Madden '08 without LT on the cover. Okay, fine, Payton Manning has a shot, but winning the Super Bowl is not a requirement to be on the cover of the game. (Just ask Shaun Alexander.)

True, but Peyton also had a great storyline last season with finally becoming a complete elite QB by finally coming through in the clutch and winning the big game. Not to mention his impressive season on top of that. I know LT broke the record, but Peyton's story was a much bigger deal, and I think in the end it always comes down to politics, even in videogame covers.

Desides
04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
True, but Peyton also had a great storyline last season with finally becoming a complete elite QB by finally coming through in the clutch and winning the big game. Not to mention his impressive season on top of that. I know LT broke the record, but Peyton's story was a much bigger deal, and I think in the end it always comes down to politics, even in videogame covers.

Manning's reputation for choking is undeserved, IMO, but that's for another thread.

As for the cover selection coming down to politics... it actually comes down to popularity. Are more people receptive to LT than to Manning? An awful lot of people hate Peyton Manning. There aren't a whole lot of people who hate LT. While Madden '08 is going to sell an immense amount just because it's the only football game around, I'd wager that a version of the game with LT on the cover would sell more than another version with Manning on the cover.

JuanchoColombia
04-07-2007, 05:29 PM
if the "leadership factor" thing is true and it's the new key feature I think Manning would be the perfect fit for the cover...

if not I will stick with the ones I posted earlier.... I think the passing defense is the biggest flaw in the gameplay and the receiving could also be improved

rob19
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd like to see Hester get on the cover....

Agent51
04-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Manning's reputation for choking is undeserved, IMO, but that's for another thread.

As for the cover selection coming down to politics... it actually comes down to popularity. Are more people receptive to LT than to Manning? An awful lot of people hate Peyton Manning. There aren't a whole lot of people who hate LT. While Madden '08 is going to sell an immense amount just because it's the only football game around, I'd wager that a version of the game with LT on the cover would sell more than another version with Manning on the cover.

I know it's undeserved, I'm just saying that's all we heard since he started winning but never winning in the playoffs and never winning a SB.

Desides
04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I know it's undeserved, I'm just saying that's all we heard since he started winning but never winning in the playoffs and never winning a SB.

I realize that. But there's a difference between "people who buy the Madden game series" and "the sports media who wouldn't stop verbally fellating Peyton Manning."

AirMarino83
04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
I'd like to see Hester get on the cover....

i really cant see devin hester on the cover. i mean, when i think of madden cover athlete, its the top tier players that are recognizable by all football fans, and most casual watchers... hester is not this player.

VT Dolphan
04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
i really cant see devin hester on the cover. i mean, when i think of madden cover athlete, its the top tier players that are recognizable by all football fans, and most casual watchers... hester is not this player.

Yeah, I really don't see a return man making the cover. If I had guess I'd go with Peyton Manning.

Off topic but the Lawrence Arms are a FANTASTIC band...just had to get it out there.

Mike13
04-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Juan Huron perhaps?

FLOUNDER
04-07-2007, 11:54 PM
I would say Manning.

I believe they are doing that regional thing mentioned, because i went to EB games and they have steve smith on the cover. Charlotte is the closest pro city to southern wva...about 3 hours away. and pittsburgh is the 2nd closest with about 6 hours..lol

AirMarino83
04-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I really don't see a return man making the cover. If I had guess I'd go with Peyton Manning.

Off topic but the Lawrence Arms are a FANTASTIC band...just had to get it out there.

yeah, peyton is a good guess... like the majority, him or lt would be my guess.
yeah, i love the larry arms!! should hit up the louge, there is a punk thread... check it out.

DisturbedShifty
04-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Tom Brady. This way he breaks his throwing arm and is out the rest of the year and all this money they are spending to buy a Super Bowl will all for not! Can anyone tell I am bitter?

Agent51
04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Tom Brady. This way he breaks his throwing arm and is out the rest of the year and all this money they are spending to buy a Super Bowl will all for not! Can anyone tell I am bitter?

Well when you put it that way........change my vote to Brady, :lol:

He is my most hated player in sports, and the reason the Patriots are my most hated team. I'm not mad because he's good either (although it sucks for us, :lol:), I'm mad because he is good and was picked in the 6th round and we will NEVER be allowed to forget that from the media and fans. I'm sick of his story, and I'm sick of people thinking the same thing can happen to us every year at draft time. Yes, they found a crazy good guy in round 6, but is it the norm? No, so stop suggesting it like it is the end-all-be-all of our draft problems, sure, it COULD happen, but there's a 99.9% chance it won't, so don't base your draft strategy around it. And media, WE DON'T CARE ANYMORE. Every football fan on earth knows the story, so SHUT UP :fire:

Can anyone tell I'M bitter? :lol:

Speaking of bitter, I don't care WHO is on the Madden cover, but they had BETTER not have the entire draft in franchise mode be DEs again. Anyone who had the 360 version and didn't import draft classes knows what I'm talking about. I completed the franchise mode (30 years) and every single year 90% of the available draft picks were DEs, and that is NOT an exaggeration. Plus, the next non-DE position is always projected at like 9 or 10, so the first 8 picks are always DEs, and then the next is either a QB or RB, sometimes TE. I have never seen a CB, S, WR, or any other position be rated in the first round. It is just horrible. I used to look forward to the offseason and draft almost MORE than the season itself, but this year it was utterly ruined because of the draft basically being nothing but DEs.

dominizzo
04-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Tomlinson