PDA

View Full Version : Stanton or Edwards ?

PHINFAN 4 LIFE
04-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Who do you like better and why. I'm just trying to get more info. on these two QB'S. Thanks

Elliott 1
04-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Sorry I'd rather have Zabransky or Beck.

MustangFinFan
04-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Beck is 25 years old. Zabransky wont even be a QB in the NFL, teams have tried him out as a Safety. id rather have Drew Stanton

NatCyn
04-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Drew Stanton, no brainer. Who the hell is Edwards? That should be an indication right there.

Did y'all see the rumor about us trading up with Washington to take Quinn? Could be fun...

alen1
04-07-2007, 10:39 AM
i dont realy care who we get , as long as he gets us some wins and is finally consistent

colmax
04-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Drew Stanton, no brainer. Who the hell is Edwards? That should be an indication right there.

Did y'all see the rumor about us trading up with Washington to take Quinn? Could be fun...

Seriously? You've not heard of Trent Edwards? I actually think he'll be a better QB than Stanton in the NFL if given a shot. Unfortunately, he has a hx of injuries. Of course, he had a porous offensive line at Stanford.

He is 6'4" and 231 pounds. He recently got over a foot injury, but ran something like a 4.67/40 at his pro day. He throws really well on the run. Has a big-time arm, but is a little erratic with his deep throws. Very athletic. He is often compared as this year's Jay Cutler. Big and strong. Takes too many risks and holds on to the ball too long. Intelligent. Is considered the "3rd QB" in this year's draft.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/fv.htm??g=9cbbc19c-5a13-40bd-b956-9831396dbb62&f=33&fg=

colmax
04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Sorry I'd rather have Zabransky or Beck.

Zabransky? I mean, I like his heart, but I doubt the guy even gets drafted.....

calmrage
04-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmm, Troy Smith!

Vertical Limit
04-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Beck.

biggfish72
04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
hands down DS

Rubbin420
04-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Stanton. The guy has more heart than any other QB in the draft. Unfortunately I believe he will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. So we could pick up Kolb

Lab3003
04-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't really like any of the QB's after Russell and Quinn. If they are searching for a franchise QB, the FO should grow some onions and trade up for Quinn or Russell.

I believe we should stop panicking and build the pieces around Culpepper.

Lab3003
04-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Stanton. The guy has more heart than any other QB in the draft. Unfortunately I believe he will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. So we could pick up Kolb

He ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT have more heart. Did you see the ND v. MST game? He choked.

OneHondo
04-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Drew Stanton, Edwards is a project but may be successfull if given enough time and tutiledge, Beck has talent but he is 25 so he will be pressed to show results quickly and will have a shortened career. Smith is too small and not a prototypical quarterback for the NFL but someone will take a chance in the later rounds

Dolfan32323
04-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Stanton. And to whoever mentioned Zabranksy, I like the guy a lot and he was phenominal at BOise State but he won't make it as a QB in the NFL.

NoSoapRadio
04-07-2007, 11:59 AM
John Beck!!!
-can make all the throws
-very football smart
-quick release
-amazing ball placement
-great feet
-great under pressure
-good character

The knocks against him are:
-his height at 6'2" (1 inch shorter than Kolb, 2" shorter than Quinn...not too concerned)
-Age...he's 25, but it's not like he has extra wear-and-tear. He took 2 years off to do missionary work (went to BYU). If anything, this might add to his maturity.
-Arm Strength. A few reports say he doesn't have the greatest arm strength. I think the exact opposite. Check out YouTube you'll see he's got some hot sauce. 3 steps up into the pocket, launches a 70 yard pass right on the money (but his receiver didn't catch it). End of the Utah game (i think), he runs all the way right, throws across his body into the left side of the endzone. Plus his throw was rated the 2nd fastest velocity at the combine, just over 61mph.

I love this kid. NFL.com has him rated as the #3 QB prospect. If we could get him in the 3rd, freeing us up to grab an OT, C, and WR before him...i'd be ecstatic.

Check out this scouting report on him...very impressive:
http://craveonline.com/sports/articles/04647590/brigham_youngs_john_beck.html

eomdtbtr
04-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Yeah what he said :ninja:

Dphins
04-07-2007, 12:16 PM
John Beck or Kolb. I was leaning towards Kolb because more then one sight has him rated higher then brady quin, including sportingnews warroom which i have been a subscriber to for a long time and have alot of respect for there scouting reports. However, I heard Beck on serious NFl radio and this guy has all the intangables you could hope for. He is intelligent and an obvious leader of men the reason why he is 25 years old is he took a three mission for his church. Listening to him speak he is a very high energy guy who will inspire. He reminded me of Phillip Rivers because when he talks you can just tell he has passion for the game. John Beck said he met with Cam Cameron and Cam told him they are looking for a QB that armstrength is just an extra but it doesn't make a Qb.

scout01
04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
In all honesty I would rather pick up Kevin Kolb in the third round, address the other situations in need. Kolb had awesome stats (6'3" 225 lbs. [292 of 432 for 3,809 yds. with a 67.6 comp.% and 30 TD's only 4 INT.'s..] In my opinion the most underated QB coming out.

Boone
04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Kevin Kolb - Houston

Positives: Arm strength, especially on deep routes ... Size (6-3-plus, 218 pounds) ... Accuracy on short and intermediate passes ... Field vision ... Ability to avoid the rush and scramble ... Leadership skills and toughness.

Negatives: Limited exposure to pro-style, deep passing game in college ... Showed poor decision-making on throws through most of his college career, although he made significant strides as a senior.

Roman529
04-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Who do you like better and why. I'm just trying to get more info. on these two QB'S. Thanks

I would go with Kevin Kolb first, then Stanton, then Edwards, then Beck.

VT Dolphan
04-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I think Stanton is the better overall player, but he will probably be taken a round before he should considering this is a pretty weak QB class after Russell and Quinn. Edwards should definitely last longer than Stanton and would probably be a better value.

I think that Edwards game translates a little better to the NFL game, considering Stanton ran a lot of option plays and did a lot of running around in college. Not saying he can't run in the pro's, but running QB's generally have short careers. Edwards seems to always be hurt as well, but he has a nice arm and good understanding of the game.

If Stanton is there at 60, I'd take him there, anything before that is too high for him. If he is gone, then I'd take Edwards in the third if he is still there.

jason8er
04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Kevin Kolb - Houston

Positives: Arm strength, especially on deep routes ... Size (6-3-plus, 218 pounds) ... Accuracy on short and intermediate passes ... Field vision ... Ability to avoid the rush and scramble ... Leadership skills and toughness.

Negatives: Limited exposure to pro-style, deep passing game in college ... Showed poor decision-making on throws through most of his college career, although he made significant strides as a senior.
From what I've heard, it's more like zero exposure. He's been in the shotgun since high school.

Either way, I've been a Drew Stanton supporter all along, and I'm not budging.

Finfan Griff
04-07-2007, 02:42 PM
From what I've heard, it's more like zero exposure. He's been in the shotgun since high school.

Either way, I've been a Drew Stanton supporter all along, and I'm not budging.

If stanton is there in the second when we pick, i want him if dont select quinn....but didnt Vince Young mainly work out of the shotgun at Texas? He did a fine job as a rookie

so maybe kolb can adjust too if we get him

VT Dolphan
04-07-2007, 02:44 PM
If stanton is there in the second when we pick, i want him if dont select quinn....but didnt Vince Young mainly work out of the shotgun at Texas? He did a fine job as a rookie

True. Young proved that you don't necessarily need to be smart, or experience in a pro-style offense to succeed in the pros. But Kevin Kolb is no Vince Young.

jason8er
04-07-2007, 02:53 PM

You never know. But when I said high school, I meant even in high school. He's never known anything else....ever.

Finfan Griff
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
True. Young proved that you don't necessarily need to be smart, or experience in a pro-style offense to succeed in the pros. But Kevin Kolb is no Vince Young.

yeah, sorry if i made it seem like i was comparing kolb to young. i was just trying to state the fact that they both worked out of the shotgun. young was the first person to come to mind, otherwise i wouldve named someone else

MustangFinFan
04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Miami needs to try the no huddle shotgun offense that the Colts use...i notice that whenever Miami goes no-huddle at the end of games...we actually do real well. yea we dont win, but we complete passes, make gains, etc...

IF kevin kolb has been a shotgun guy since high school...he could be a good bet for that.

-Troy Smith is too small.
-John Beck will have a shorter career.
-Jared Zabransky wont get drafted...why hes on the cover of NCAA, IDK!
-Drew Stanton...perfect size. 6'2, 235 pounds.
-Trent Edwards...went to Stanford...must be smart.
-Kevin Kolb...product of a shotgun system u say??? Could be like Peyton Manning.

nolefin
04-07-2007, 04:42 PM
1.quinn

2.russell
3.stanton
4.kolb
5.beck

jlfin
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM

I didn't realize you were an NFL scout. You haven't heard of Edwards so that automatically dismisses him as a prospect? Please be serious and do some research before you make a post like that again.
He played at Stanford behind a horrid O-line. Many scouts think he can be pretty good with a solid supporting cast. He has prototypical size and a good arm. He is also very bright from what I've read.

chibully
04-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Zabransky? I mean, I like his heart, but I doubt the guy even gets drafted.....

well, i heard he was the cover athlete on NCCAA football 08...

but i think someone like stanton or t smith or leak in the 2nd. they really admire quinn but i think (and i think there's other people that think this too) that stanton or one of those guys are just as good as quinn.

daniel3
04-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I'd be more interested in Edwards or Troy Smith. I really don't get the John Beck or Kolb love. I doubt those guys even get sniffed before the 6th round much less the 3rd round picks I see some people are saying we should give up for those guys.

Zabransky and Leak? lol come on now, lets be serious :).

Regan21286
04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Of those two I'd prefer Stanton. He has the physical stats like Edwards but I think he's more NFL ready and I don't think Edwards is any better than the team he's on. Probably arises out of my utter contempt for Stanford but even then, I still don't think he'd amount to more than a backup/sub-par starter like Kyle Orton. People compare him to Cutler but difference is Cutler had success against top teams despite being on a bad team. Edwards sucked as much as his bad team did. Not to mention he's injury prone and sometimes looks like Harrington in the pocket. We gave him a solid pounding last season.

But the stock for those two are highly inflated due to the lack of QB prospects this year and both would need a very long developmental time. I don't think they'd go earlier that the 4th round in last year's draft. I'd much rather try to get Quinn, who's a head above those two. They said Quinn can't win the big game but Edwards can barely win any game (he couldn't even top Notre Dame's putrid D).

-Trent Edwards...went to Stanford...must be smart.

So should we dump all our QBs and get Harvard QB Ryan Fitzpatrick instead? Smarts on the field don't always translate to smarts in the classroom, especially when colleges all but hand them a passing grade.

VT Dolphan
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd be more interested in Edwards or Troy Smith. I really don't get the John Beck or Kolb love. I doubt those guys even get sniffed before the 6th round much less the 3rd round picks I see some people are saying we should give up for those guys.

Zabransky and Leak? lol come on now, lets be serious :).

I agree with you on Kolb, and Beck may be a little overrated...but they are not gonna be there in the 6th round. This is a pretty poor QB class and teams will definitely take them on Day 1.

23EmilioVasquez
04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
stanton

Hoot {MWB}
04-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Stanton over Edwards. Who I would really love to see the Phins draft in the latter rounds is QB Zac Taylor from Nebraska. His TD to INT ratio was excellent his final year at NU..as was his QB rating.

Completions:233 Attempts:391 Yards:3197 Comp%:59.6 YPA:8.18 LNG:78 TD:26 INT:8 Rating:146.12

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=134094

The guy can play. Strong arm. At times he makes mistakes, obviously if he's going later rounds...but I love what he brings to the table. I was able to watch him play for several years now and I've always been impressed. Probably more than anything, the kid is the definition of humility. OF COURSE he's not at Peyton Manning's skill...but he does have a Peyton attitude and approach to the game...without a doubt. Watching him at the combine, all the QBs would do their drills, get done, walk back to the group and not say a word. All trying to do their best individually. Everytime they showed Zac he was constantly pumping the other guys up, telling em nice work. I saw Troy Smith doing some of this as well. They were more concerned with the group as a whole doing well instead of just individual effort (rare to see at the combine).

A great attitude alone won't win games for you in the NFL, but with the decent skills Zac has...combined with his approach to the game, I'd build a team around him. If anything, you take him late rounds...groom him up. Give him a chance and see what he can do. I think he could be one of the steals of the draft from the bullpen rounds.

utahphinsfan
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree with you on Kolb, and Beck may be a little overrated...but they are not gonna be there in the 6th round. This is a pretty poor QB class and teams will definitely take them on Day 1.

All this love for Stanton and Edwards why is there none for Stanback sp?) from Washington... he'll be just lousy IMO. :sidelol:

Reiterating what I said elsewhere on this site, Kolb, Rowe, Zac Taylor or Beck this year and if feasible Henne or Brohm next year.

Let me throw these names into the ring; Getsy from Akron (JT's alma mater) or Hollenbach from Maryland... both s/b there late day 2 or as UDFA's.

ncdolfan
04-07-2007, 07:50 PM
For what it is worth, I heard Kiper today on ESPN radio (no link). For now, he thinks Edwards will be the 3rd QB taken ahead of Stanton (although from his comments, he views them as pretty close in talent). Beck and Kolb were QB's #5 & 6.

jlfin
04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
For what it is worth, I heard Kiper today on ESPN radio (no link). For now, he thinks Edwards will be the 3rd QB taken ahead of Stanton (although from his comments, he views them as pretty close in talent). Beck and Kolb were QB's #5 & 6.

I'd be happy with either one. Edwards, because of the team he played on, may be one of those NFL success stories (like Tom Brady, Jerry Rice) where 5 yrs later people wonder why they were drafted so late.
I'm not saying he's going to have that level of success, but realistically which GM ever thought Tom Brady would be what he is today.
When a player's talent is obscured by a poor team it is hard to evaluate them.

uga3406
04-08-2007, 10:40 AM
i be happy to get edwards in the 3rd...i really like the way he plays and he could be molded by cam and terry shea and be a project qb as either green or c-pep start for '07...he played with a bad oline at stanford that sometimes made him half to hurry the ball and make bad throws i got a good feeling about him and i love to him taken by this team

Vertical Limit
04-08-2007, 11:04 AM
All this love for Stanton and Edwards why is there none for Stanback sp?) from Washington... he'll be just lousy IMO. :sidelol:

Reiterating what I said elsewhere on this site, Kolb, Rowe, Zac Taylor or Beck this year and if feasible Henne or Brohm next year.

Let me throw these names into the ring; Getsy from Akron (JT's alma mater) or Hollenbach from Maryland... both s/b there late day 2 or as UDFA's.
Shut up.

VT Dolphan
04-08-2007, 11:57 AM

And I proclaimed my love for Stanton and Edwards where?

Phanatical
04-08-2007, 04:02 PM

I agree.

NorFlaFin
04-08-2007, 06:22 PM
So should we dump all our QBs and get Harvard QB Ryan Fitzpatrick instead? Smarts on the field don't always translate to smarts in the classroom, especially when colleges all but hand them a passing grade.

I seriously doubt Harvard hands out grades.

Regan21286
04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I seriously doubt Harvard hands out grades.

Well, you do see grade inflation among the Ivys but that's another topic. And every college has an easy major like sociology or history that have classes in the department which are packed with athletes.

marino1348
04-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Drew Stanton is the exact opposite of being clutch. no thanks.