PDA

View Full Version : Mock Out

NoSoapRadio
04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
This will be my final mock draft until I come up with another one. I have to say that I am so psyched about our prospects. All signs are pointing to the fact that Randy and Cam are making the right moves.

A few notes:
I don't believe in trade scenarios for mocks.
I don't believe that Brady Quinn will be there at #9.

1. Ted Ginn, Jr. - WR – Ohio St.
-He's one of a few special players in this years draft, and he fills so many needs for us. Immediately Ginn will be one of the premiere return men in the league, and if that equates to 6-7 yards more on returns, then that's 6-7 yards closer to scoring. Ginn also compliments our receivers perfectly...he will be our speedster flanker, Booker will be the sure-handed grinder and Chambers can work his magic in the slot (never underestimate how crucial “magic” is in this game). Could you imagine Ginn coming around for a reverse...I know the defense could, and they'd be scared poopless.

2a. Ryan Kalil – C – USC
-This is my only pick that is probably not likely to be available...but I've seen him going a little lower on some mocks and I couldn't think of a better fit. His only knock is he's a little undersized, but he makes up for it in strength, technique and heart.
If Kalil is off the board, I would go with Andy Alleman.

2b. Doug Free – OT – Northern Illinois
-Just an incredible specimen that could be very special. Let Hudson show him the way and LT could be set for the next 10 years.

3. John Beck – QB – BYU
-I can not understand why there isn't more talk about this player. He is a complete package. Excellent accuracy, feet, head, heart, arm, leader...the kid has it all. The knocks against him are his age, 25 (he took 2 ½ years off to do missionary work...went to BYU). But so what, that just made him a more mature college field general. The other knock I've read about was his arm, but I have no idea where that came from. Beck has a gun. He had the 2nd fastest ball at the combine (61.1 mph), and check out YouTube and you'll see the boy can bring the heat.
He is my favorite prospect for us in the draft!

4. Kevin Boss – TE – Western Oregon
-Kevin Boss reminds me of that riddle: What's 6'7”, 252 lbs., ran a 4.74 forty, has a 35” vertical and excellent hands?...Kevin Boss. Former basketballer who could be the type of TE that Cam loves.

6a. Courtney Brown – CB – Cal Poly
-A small school wonder who, like Kevin Boss, has amazing physical gifts perfect for cornerback. He's 6'2”, 200lbs., runs a 4.32 forty (yeah, you read that right), and has a 41 ½” vertical! Just needs to learn the position more, but a few seasons down the road, he could be a shutdown corner.
Probably won't be here cuz the word is getting out. In this case, I'd go with Dane Upresa from Hawaii.

6b. Joe Cohen – DT – Florida
-Brings some youth to the line, a solid addition to the rotation.

7a. Alonzo Coleman – RB – Hampton
-A stong, fast cutter who would be an ideal change of pace back to compliment Ronnie.

7b. Greg Peterson – DE – NC Central
-A small school project that has the tools to develop into a player. 6'5”, 286lbs., 4.73 forty.

I didn't go after the defense in the early part of the draft because, well frankly, we need all the help we can get on offense. Our D will be tough, and I'm hoping that Roth and the Wright's can step it up.

Go Phins!

Jets Suck!

SgtPhin
04-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I can agree with everything except your first pick and I'll explain again why. So far he hasn't shown anything except an inability to recuperate from injury. All reports were that it "wasn't that serious". Until he has a workout to show that he is healthy, as fast as advertised and can catch something other than headlines, no way does he rate a top 10 selection from me. I don't see wasting a top 10 pick on a special teamer who can't get healed from a "so-called" minor injury! Sorry, no personal animous, just not convinced that he's "all-that".

alen1
04-08-2007, 02:56 PM
i love it lol

endorPHINS72
04-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure about Kalil. He is an undersized center who struggles against big defensive tackles. He's smart and a good leader, but so was Tim Ruddy.

fullerboy1
04-08-2007, 03:01 PM
This will be my final mock draft until I come up with another one. I have to say that I am so psyched about our prospects. All signs are pointing to the fact that Randy and Cam are making the right moves.

A few notes:

-He's one of a few special players in this years draft, and he fills so many needs for us. Immediately Ginn will be one of the premiere return men in the league, and if that equates to 6-7 yards more on returns, then that's 6-7 yards closer to scoring. Ginn also compliments our receivers perfectly...he will be our speedster flanker, Booker will be the sure-handed grinder and Chambers can work his magic in the slot (never underestimate how crucial “magic” is in this game). Could you imagine Ginn coming around for a reverse...I know the defense could, and they'd be scared poopless.

2a. Ryan Kalil – C – USC
-This is my only pick that is probably not likely to be available...but I've seen him going a little lower on some mocks and I couldn't think of a better fit. His only knock is he's a little undersized, but he makes up for it in strength, technique and heart.

-Just an incredible specimen that could be very special. Let Hudson show him the way and LT could be set for the next 10 years.

3. John Beck – QB – BYU
-I can not understand why there isn't more talk about this player. He is a complete package. Excellent accuracy, feet, head, heart, arm, leader...the kid has it all. The knocks against him are his age, 25 (he took 2 ½ years off to do missionary work...went to BYU). But so what, that just made him a more mature college field general. The other knock I've read about was his arm, but I have no idea where that came from. Beck has a gun. He had the 2nd fastest ball at the combine (61.1 mph), and check out YouTube and you'll see the boy can bring the heat.

-Kevin Boss reminds me of that riddle: What's 6'7”, 252 lbs., ran a 4.74 forty, has a 35” vertical and excellent hands?...Kevin Boss. Former basketballer who could be the type of TE that Cam loves.

-A small school wonder who, like Kevin Boss, has amazing physical gifts perfect for cornerback. He's 6'2”, 200lbs., runs a 4.32 forty (yeah, you read that right), and has a 41 ½” vertical! Just needs to learn the position more, but a few seasons down the road, he could be a shutdown corner.
Probably won't be here cuz the word is getting out. In this case, I'd go with Dane Upresa from Hawaii.

-A stong, fast cutter who would be an ideal change of pace back to compliment Ronnie.

-A small school project that has the tools to develop into a player. 6'5”, 286lbs., 4.73 forty.

I didn't go after the defense in the early part of the draft because, well frankly, we need all the help we can get on offense. Our D will be tough, and I'm hoping that Roth and the Wright's can step it up.

Go Phins!

Jets Suck!

I´M down with it bud.:D

NoSoapRadio
04-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I can agree with everything except your first pick and I'll explain again why. So far he hasn't shown anything except an inability to recuperate from injury. All reports were that it "wasn't that serious". Until he has a workout to show that he is healthy, as fast as advertised and can catch something other than headlines, no way does he rate a top 10 selection from me. I don't see wasting a top 10 pick on a special teamer who can't get healed from a "so-called" minor injury! Sorry, no personal animous, just not convinced that he's "all-that".

i can understand your concerns, but he'll be running for scouts soon and i think your fears will be allieved. he was a sure top ten prospect going into the championship before the injury. his speed was a huge chunk of why he was so highly sought. so for him to run when he's not 100% is just silly (if you think the difference between a 2 million dollar contract and a 500k contact is silly). ted ginn needs to burn up the forty to show the scouts how valuable he is, so he's taking more time to make sure he's ready.

if he runs before the draft, then i don't think it's a healing thing...it's a money thing.

Fineas
04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure about Kalil. He is an undersized center who struggles against big defensive tackles. He's smart and a good leader, but so was Tim Ruddy.

Who are the big defensive tackles that he struggled against?

Haloti Ngata may be the classic big DT. In 2005, USC put up about 600 yards in total offense against them, with almost 300 on the ground, and scored 45 points. That's tough to do if you are struggling in the middle of the OL.

Kalil is a far better player and athlete than Ruddy.

Phanatical
04-08-2007, 03:59 PM
That's a very sexy draft, but, don't like the Ginn pick at #1 and there is no help there for the DE position, so, while I like some of your picks (especially Courtney Brown) I don't think it fills the need on defense. Check out my revised mock where we select two stud DE's and pick up a third in FA.

GO PHINS~!

rafael
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
I would be thrilled if that was our actual draft.

PhinstiGator
04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Well done NoSoapR.

I don't quite agree with every selection...but, That is a very solid draft that places the emphasis in the right areas. Getting Ginn & Boss & two quality linemen would juice up the offense.

Two thumbs up!

jim1
04-08-2007, 05:17 PM

A few notes:

2a. Ryan Kalil – C – USC

3. John Beck – QB – BYU

Go Phins!

Jets Suck!

This John Beck is interesting. I hadn't really heard of him until Boomer mentioned him. I checked out the youtube video, and the guy has really quick feet, looks like a great scrambler. His throwing motion reminds me of a right-handed Steve Young. Someone in an earlier post mentioned that he had the fastest ball at the combine- he must bring some serious heat with him. Congrats to you guys who picked him out- what little I have seen of Beck is very impressive, and I'm curious to see some game film of the guy if I can, and also see how high he goes in the draft.

Dolfan32323
04-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I would be thrilled.

bakedmatt
04-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I can agree with everything except your first pick and I'll explain again why. So far he hasn't shown anything except an inability to recuperate from injury..

Yeah, nothing... :err:

Vertical Limit
04-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't want to draft any receivers related to Chris Chambers. He may have inherited the hands. :shakeno:

Pocoloco
04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
tremendous mock, well done

Patkez
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice post, I agree with most of it,but it's all good reading.

Nicky Napoleon
04-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I like most of it, but I am a big fan of Levi Brown and would like to see him at #9. Then with pick 2b go after a WR. Depending on how many come off the board in the first, there could be some nice pickups in the second round as far as WR's go. The only way I would take Ginn in the first is if either he runs prior to the draft and runs in the 4.30 range, or if we trade down to the middle of the first.

Roman529
04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
I am happy with all but your first pick. :)

Hoot {MWB}
04-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Crossing the fingers for Kalil at 40.

NoSoapRadio
04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I like most of it, but I am a big fan of Levi Brown and would like to see him at #9. Then with pick 2b go after a WR. Depending on how many come off the board in the first, there could be some nice pickups in the second round as far as WR's go. The only way I would take Ginn in the first is if either he runs prior to the draft and runs in the 4.30 range, or if we trade down to the middle of the first.

I do not see the value of Levi Brown at #9. I could see Carriker, Okoye, Willis, Staley or Olsen there, but not Brown. He doesn't have the feet to play LT in the NFL. He is a tremendous player, but I think he'll need to be moved elsewhere on the line.

Nicky Napoleon
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I do not see the value of Levi Brown at #9. I could see Carriker, Okoye, Willis, Staley or Olsen there, but not Brown. He doesn't have the feet to play LT in the NFL. He is a tremendous player, but I think he'll need to be moved elsewhere on the line.

And I have read from professional scouts who say other wise, just for example if you read Scott Wright's opinion he calls him Nimble on his feet.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/levibrown.html

Ok I just re-read the post and you think that Okoye who is a 4-3 DT and not really a fit for what we do, Joe Staley who will be lucky to sneak in to the last 7 picks in the first, or Greg Olsen who is a middle first round pick would be a better pick than Levi Brown..... No offense but thats rediculous, Willis is an option but I think a LB is going to be far from the first pick we make. With Crowder Porter Zach and JT making up our 4 LB's this year we may take a LB'er but I think it may be in the middle of the draft.

NoSoapRadio
04-10-2007, 02:20 PM
And I have read from professional scouts who say other wise, just for example if you read Scott Wright's opinion he calls him Nimble on his feet.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/levibrown.html

Ok I just re-read the post and you think that Okoye who is a 4-3 DT and not really a fit for what we do, Joe Staley who will be lucky to sneak in to the last 7 picks in the first, or Greg Olsen who is a middle first round pick would be a better pick than Levi Brown..... No offense but thats rediculous, Willis is an option but I think a LB is going to be far from the first pick we make. With Crowder Porter Zach and JT making up our 4 LB's this year we may take a LB'er but I think it may be in the middle of the draft.

First off, my preference for #9 for the Phins is Ginn. The players I mentioned above were ones who I think may be available to us at #9, and are a better fit for our team than Brown.

Times and numbers are very important when it comes to the LT position. And the fact is that Brown had pretty poor results in the 40, Vertical, Broad Jump and Cone Drill. I my opinion, he is much better suited for RT in the NFL...and he could be a monster there. I just don't think he could handle the speed on the left side. Why do you think Staley is rising so high so quickly? It's simple, his combine and pro day resulted in some of the best numbers a 300lb plus OT EVER posted.

Who would you rather have going up against Jason Taylor, someone with marginal speed or someone with exceptional speed?

Nicky Napoleon
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
First off, my preference for #9 for the Phins is Ginn. The players I mentioned above were ones who I think may be available to us at #9, and are a better fit for our team than Brown.

Times and numbers are very important when it comes to the LT position. And the fact is that Brown had pretty poor results in the 40, Vertical, Broad Jump and Cone Drill. I my opinion, he is much better suited for RT in the NFL...and he could be a monster there. I just don't think he could handle the speed on the left side. Why do you think Staley is rising so high so quickly? It's simple, his combine and pro day resulted in some of the best numbers a 300lb plus OT EVER posted.

Who would you rather have going up against Jason Taylor, someone with marginal speed or someone with exceptional speed?

You should read the full scouting report on Brown, it lists his ability to handle speed rushers as one of his positives..... Looking at 40 yard dash times for OL is stupid, how many times do OLmen run the 40 on the field. The first 10 yards are the most important. Brown is an extremely gifted athlete and moves very well, he can handle speed rushers and when he gets his hands on a defender that guy is done. The only true knocks on him are his technique, and his concentration/inconsistancy. Joe Staley has yet to prove that he can play against top competition, something Brown has doen for 4 years.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE A PLAYER BASED ON COMBINE NUMBERS!!!!! I will take a football player over a workout warrior anyday.....

Nicky Napoleon
04-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Oh and if we take Ginn at nine I may pull all of my hair out....... The guy is fast, but his routes need alot of work

NoSoapRadio
04-10-2007, 03:19 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE A PLAYER BASED ON COMBINE NUMBERS!!!!! I will take a football player over a workout warrior anyday.....

What was that, I couldn't hear you?

I never judge a player by his combine numbers. I try to watch as much film as I can get my hands on, and I try to get word from scouts and sources who have seen him work out in person. The Phins have shown no interest in Levi Brown and he is falling out of the top 10 on most boards. Your boy Scott Wright has him ranked at #15, with all of the players I mentioned in the previous post, that you dogged on, ahead of him. So don't be naive and say that combine numbers don't mean squat, cuz they do. Why else would they even hold a combine (and it's not because Indy in late winter is beautiful)?

You can not base you decision solely on how well a player did in college either...look at Troy Smith. He had a fantastic career, but he isn't even a top 5 QB prospect. You go by their career, their workouts, and their interviews. For a position like LT that is so technically and athletically demanding, all 3 of the criteria are crucial.

So, please, please, please don't judge a player based on Scott Wright's opinion...and if we do pick Ginn, go easy on your hair. We could do a lot worse than a playmaker with the ability to score every time he touches the ball.