PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 gets keyboard plug-in for controller

Phin-o-rama
04-08-2007, 09:59 PM
While Microsoft's Xbox 360 Spring Update will integrate Windows Live Messenger into the system's dashboard for cross-platform chatting, the machine's text-window interface for standard control pads makes lengthy conversations a chore.

To ease the task of typing in messages without the aid of a full-sized keyboard, Microsoft today announced a new text input device for the Xbox 360 controller. The attachment snaps onto the bottom of the controller through the headset jack and features a QWERTY-style key layout with 47 keys.

The keyboard attachment has not been priced or even named yet, but it is expected to see release this summer.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

thoughts?

Agent51
04-08-2007, 10:03 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/news/04/05/text_screen001.jpg

thoughts?

Well when I read the title of the thread my first thought was "FINALLY!", but after seeing the pic, IDK. I quess it would be WAY better than using the onscreen one with the controller, but this looks like it will be too similar to a cell-phone, and that still isn't as fast or comfortable as a normal keyboard. Although I guess the design is pretty cool in terms of size and lap clutter (a full size keybord would get in the way).

If it snaps into the headset jack does the headset plug into they keyboard or can you not use both at the same time?

dolphinfan2k5
04-08-2007, 10:45 PM
If it snaps into the headset jack does the headset plug into they keyboard or can you not use both at the same time?

It looks like there is a little hole on the bottom there, at least there is something stickin out, so I'm guessing thats what it would be for.

Mike13
04-08-2007, 10:57 PM
It looks uncomfortable.

Majpain
04-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Wait thats not an attachment?

Agent51
04-09-2007, 12:31 AM
Wait thats not an attachment?

Yes it is, it's prolly just designed so when it snaps on it's flush, like the headset, it looks like an extension of the controller, like it's molded on.

dominizzo
04-09-2007, 02:02 AM
Whne is The 360 Elite coming out

Majpain
04-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Yes it is, it's prolly just designed so when it snaps on it's flush, like the headset, it looks like an extension of the controller, like it's molded on.

Looks great. Would make sending text messages easier.

DisturbedShifty
04-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Well if they are going to use MSN IM that would be great. I would totally pick this thing up

Stitches
04-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Would help make it easier for me to edit NCAA rosters, that's for sure.

Motion
04-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I think that looks pretty cool.

Phin-o-rama
04-09-2007, 09:12 AM
well it kinda makes playing an mmo, especially with cross platform with pc gamers more realistic....like age of conan or whatever..you HAVE to be able to type/communicate in mmo's

VanDolPhan
04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
well it kinda makes playing an mmo, especially with cross platform with pc gamers more realistic....like age of conan or whatever..you HAVE to be able to type/communicate in mmo's

Exactly. This is what I thought of when they announced it. So voice comm's wouldn't be an absolute thing. Gives the options. The big thing with the keyboard is that it absolutely needs to be lightweight. I would buy it if it is but I'd need to get my hands on it first...make sure it's not heavy.

They did also mention the ability to add a keyboard via the usb ports which could be useful to cause then I could use it only when needed which shouldn't be all that often.

Scatman
04-09-2007, 10:05 AM
yea... kinda weird but i guess it could work

FinsNCanes
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I'd rather just plug in a keyboard and set it next to me. There is no way in hell I'm playing an MMO with that stupid little thing.

I'm "kind of" upset at even buying the 360 really. I can only think of a handful of good games and most are single player.

Phin-o-rama
04-09-2007, 12:59 PM
just imagine how you'd feel right now if you got a ps3....there are only 2-3 good games right now....im not bashing ps3 but if you can't find games you like on the 360? you'd be going insane with a ps3.

what games do you have? what kind do you like? maybe we can recomend some for you to rent or w/e...

Phin-o-rama
04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
I'd rather just plug in a keyboard and set it next to me.

you can do that as well

phinmania
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Good idea, but it took long enough

VanDolPhan
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm "kind of" upset at even buying the 360 really. I can only think of a handful of good games and most are single player.

You'd be hella pissed with the other option. Lets not forget that before the year is out we see Mass Effect, Forza 2, Blue Dragon, Halo 3, GTA IV, Spiderman 3 (which looks amazing), Command and Conquer 3, Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, Shadowrun with possible but not likely debuts of Alan Wake, Lost Odyssey, Age of Conan and Assassin's Creed.

Hasn't been half bad to date with Lost Planet, Crackdown, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War, Dead Rising, the cultish following of Viva Pinata, Saints Row, Call of Duty 2 & 3, Condemned, Prey, WWE SmackDown! vs Raw 2007 (probably the first decent wrestling game to ever hit xbox or xbox360), The Godfather (I found surprisingly fun anyways) etc.

It's not a lack of games out there but I think the ever growing hunger for more games and the ever growing amount of shorter games leaving people ready for the next one.