PDA

View Full Version : Kiper- Okoye

CC Coach
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Kiper now has the Dolphins picking Okoye.
He has the top 8- Russell, Adams, Quinn, Johnson, Thomas, Landry, Peterson,Hall.
It does make some sense- if Okoye and Brown are there who do they pick?
Okoye has a better upside without question.

Fingers
04-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I'd take A. Carriker over Okoye. Okoye doesn't fit our defense as well.

elite14eva
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
no way we pick okoye.

Caps
04-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Okoye is gonna be a great player for some team, but he really doesn't fit with us at all. Carriker would slide in much better at that position like fingers said.

miabrown23
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Okoye is gonna be a great player for some team, but he really doesn't fit with us at all. Carriker would slide in much better at that position like fingers said.why is that? i rwally dont know much about either

Finfan53
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I never got to see alot of either playing.... I wonder about Okoye putting on weight and being able to keep it on.... Does he have the frame and build for it?? I don't remember how tall he is. I hope Caper's gets his two cents in with Mueller on defensive prospects and not just a Cameron/Mueller draft

NorFlaFin
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I never got to see alot of either playing.... I wonder about Okoye putting on weight and being able to keep it on.... Does he have the frame and build for it?? I don't remember how tall he is. I hope Caper's gets his two cents in with Mueller on defensive prospects and not just a Cameron/Mueller draft

At the Sr Bowl he was 6'1 287 lbs. He looked really quick at that weight.

miamiron
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM

I would take either one

Jaj
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Okoye's too short to play 3-4 DE. He's a undertackle in the cover 2. He'd be a nice for Tampa Bay, Washington, Houston, Buffalo, St. Louis, Cinncinnati, or Denver.

Caps
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
why is that? i rwally dont know much about either

The 3-4 hybrid we run calls for 6'3-6'6 280 lb DE's and stocky 330 lb NT's who can eat up blockers to free up our linebackers to make plays. Okoye's 6'2 and should be playing at a little under 300. That makes him too stocky for DE and too light for NT. He'll be a great tackle in someone's 4-3 though.

zonk4ever
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
We have no playmakers in the secondary. Questionable Playmakers at wide receiver. No return guy. Quarterback situation one of the worst in the league. No backup running back. No left side of the offensive line. And this headbanger wants us to take a DLineman easily the deepest position on our team: Jason Taylor, Matt Roth, Vonnie Holliday, Manny Wright, Rodrique Wright, Fred Evans, Vickerson, assorted returning free agents. Draftniks that would have us selecting a defensive lineman need their heads examined!

:shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

PhinfanUK
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Kiper now has the Dolphins picking Okoye.
He has the top 8- Russell, Adams, Quinn, Johnson, Thomas, Landry, Peterson,Hall.
It does make some sense- if Okoye and Brown are there who do they pick?
Okoye has a better upside without question.

He doesn't have Gaines Adams going before us? If Adams drops to us then we definitely trade down, pretty much all the teams picking between 11-20 will want him.

rabjr
04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Yes, we do have depth on the defensive line. The only problem is everyone we have is either unproven or on the verge of retirement.

Finsfan1984
04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
I think Okoye can be a 3-4 player, i really do. He has all the athletic ability in the world, is still growing as an athlete, and is still growing physically. I could see him being a squatty DE in a 3-4, and he could eventually bulk up to 320 or so and play the NT in a 3-4. With his speed, quicks, and agility, i think he can do it. He weighed in at 305 or so at the combine if im not mistaken.

Having said that, Im not sure if i would invest the #9 pick on this guy due mainly to our scheme. If we ran a 4-3 scheme, then it would be a no-brainer. But for our scheme, IMO it would be a bit of a reach for him at #9.

darsey
04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I think Kiper and Mcshay place players mainly based on their own draft boards. These boards are mainly based on overall talent of a player that is based on some formula that is conjured up by scouts. In my opinion, guys like Kiper and Mcshay do not put enough emphasis on team needs. Kiper and Mcshay have not changed their plans for the Dolphins much. (Kiper has us going DT and MCshay has us going OL and that has not changed in a while). I am not saying they are wrong, but a lot of things go on from week to week in regards to team needs that are not addressed in their draft boards.

He might be right in the end, but I doubt it. I think that our priority of needs have changed and are ever changing, so I try not to get sucked into what Kiper says because people who contibute to this board are right just as often as Kiper or Mcshay.

That being said... if Kiper is right I would take Branch over Okoye.

GCD960
04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Draftniks that would have us selecting a defensive lineman need their heads examined!

Yep, anyone that has us taking Okoye doesnt know football

Bofin
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
i also like carriker over okoye,,,motor and attitude and athleticism

PJack
04-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I would have no problem taking Okoye. Kid is 19 years old and now weights 305 and ran a 4.85. See what he looks like in 3 or 4 years (when most players come to the NFL). 320-325lbs seems very reasonable to me. IMO he has way more potential than others that will be available at 9.. I'd prefer Quinn, Landry, Willis or maybe Jamaal Anderson (in order) over reaching for Brown or Ginn at 9. Peterson would be a wildcard if he slips as I see great potential for trading for more picks if he's there at 9.

Bofin
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
yea, don't get me wrong i won't pitch a fit if we get okoye, i think he will be a force in 2-3 years and one heck of a player. i just have hopes for some of our d line players currently on the roster to develop and show some skills

Rubbin420
04-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Okoye's too short to play 3-4 DE. He's a undertackle in the cover 2. He'd be a nice for Tampa Bay, Washington, Houston, Buffalo, St. Louis, Cinncinnati, or Denver.

They said the same thing about some guy named Zach Thomas. Some people think that his 297 isnt enough for the NT in a 3-4. With the right D ends around him, his speed and endurance can work. He would be a great pick.

bakedmatt
04-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Without question? Really?

Jaj
04-10-2007, 01:22 AM
They said the same thing about some guy named Zach Thomas. Some people think that his 297 isnt enough for the NT in a 3-4. With the right D ends around him, his speed and endurance can work. He would be a great pick.

Zach Thomas is a completely different player, stop using the exception as the standard. Besides the risk we took with him was a fifth rounder not the ninth overall pick. At NT you'd be wasting Okoye's abilities. It isn't his size that prevents him, it's his style of play.

dolphinswin
04-10-2007, 02:09 AM
i realize we have some depth at dline but the years are short and for the most part most the depth we have is unproven and the young so if we went with okoye i wouldnt be mad as i think okoye is one hell of a player, I think the phins should be looking at a trade down with certain teams and play it by ear as to who's available. If players like Ap slip to 9th then teams will be calling....but if we keep the 9th and hes avaiable no question we take Brown

Jaj
04-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Had he showed better athletic ability at the combine and pro day I would say however I'm leaning towards Ginn Jr., considering what he could do for the running game and the passing game.

Roman529
04-10-2007, 02:16 AM

Carriker is the guy I want at #9.

MrClean
04-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Zach Thomas is a completely different player, stop using the exception as the standard. Besides the risk we took with him was a fifth rounder not the ninth overall pick. At NT you'd be wasting Okoye's abilities. It isn't his size that prevents him, it's his style of play.
Gotta agree with my learned associate. If we want a NT to fit our defense, in the 1st round, Alan Branch fits our D much better. With his stock seemingly falling due to his less than stellar workouts, we could trade down to the mid first and still have a shot at Branch. That said, I believe if we want a NT out of this draft we'd be better off looking for a guy like Paul Soliai in the 4th round.

Jaj
04-10-2007, 03:31 AM
Gotta agree with my learned associate. If we want a NT to fit our defense, in the 1st round, Alan Branch fits our D much better. With his stock seemingly falling due to his less than stellar workouts, we could trade down to the mid first and still have a shot at Branch. That said, I believe if we want a NT out of this draft we'd be better off looking for a guy like Paul Soliai in the 4th round.

A we've discussed on may occasions that middle of the first round has unbelievable value. Players seemingly could go from 9 to 23 or so in a sort of vacuum of talent. While 2006 was extremely strong at the top this draft has so much talent that's unpredictable in where it will land.

Now time for some real Jaj madness(NOTICE THIS IS A JOKE MEANT FOR HUMOR:lol: ):

If I could I would honestly try and find a way to get Ginn Jr., Branch, and Ben Grubbs. Sounds ridiculous but I wish it were possible. Here's a go at this ridiculous one (I love throwing out the far fetched, possible scenarios, that would require unbelievable ability on the part of a GM to accomplish).

Take a bad deal from Green Bay, something to the sound of a switch of our third rounder for their second rounder plus their fourth (Green Bay has a 1,3,3, instead of a 1,2,3,4). Green Bay gets Peterson while we take Alan Branch. Now with the two second rounders and our fourth rounder jump back into the first round and nab Meachem around 20 (hey maybe Ginn Jr. is there who knows, by the way if you can take out the fourth that'll be great:sidelol: ) or Bowe around 26. At 40 I think you'll still an interior linemen the likes of Aaron Sears/Grubbs available and if not that means Kalil is there.

So all in all let's say

1- Branch
1- Meachem
2- Sears

Jaj has gone bonkers...

Boomer
04-10-2007, 05:35 AM
I think Okoye can play the 3-4 as well. It's patently clear he could play the 3 technique in our defense and at aged 19, with the frame he has, he can add weight to get up to the 320+ range and be a full on NT.

He absolutely remains a strong possibility at 9.

Phanatical
04-10-2007, 06:55 AM
We have no playmakers in the secondary. Questionable Playmakers at wide receiver. No return guy. Quarterback situation one of the worst in the league. No backup running back. No left side of the offensive line. And this headbanger wants us to take a DLineman easily the deepest position on our team: Jason Taylor, Matt Roth, Vonnie Holliday, Manny Wright, Rodrique Wright, Fred Evans, Vickerson, assorted returning free agents. Draftniks that would have us selecting a defensive lineman need their heads examined!

VERY well put!