PDA

View Full Version : SportingNews Fantasty Football's rankings

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 09:34 AM
I just bought SportingNews Fantasty Football magazine yesterday and it is interesting how they ranks Miami.

Quarterbacks (rank 29th)(they ranks our quarterbacks before Miami signed Griese) Jay Fiedler doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but his lack of arm strength limits his opportunities to throw downfield. Fiedler also is undersized, so he has problems finding open receivers, and some of his passes get knocked down at the line. As a runner, Fiedler has the abiltiy to make defenders miss. He will get more opportunities in the red zone now that Ray Lucas is gone and no longer will replace him near the goal line.

That is what they says about Quarterbacks, I know I was not supposed to type in full article but there is no links as i got it from magazine, so is it allowed??? I want to know, so I can type in what they said about out running backs, receivers, offensive line, defense line, linebackers, secondary, kickers, and return game.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Running Backs (rank 1st) In his first season with the Dolphins, Ricky Williams led the league in rushing and set personal bests for yards, yards per carry and touchdowns. Williams worked hard to get into shape last offseason and showed improved explosiveness. Travis Minor and Robert Edwards will get some touches in relief of Williams. At fullback, Rob Konrad is a reliable receiver, and Deon Dyer is a physical lead blocker.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Receivers (rank 28th, don't know why they rank us that low???) James McKnight could replace Oronde Gadsden as starter opposite Chris Chambers, but McKnight drops too many passes to be considered a prototypical No. 2 receiver. Chambers is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, he hasn't shown the ability to beat double coverage. Derrius Thompson, coming off a 53-catch season for the Redskins, must prove it wasn't a fluke. He likely will beat out McKnight for the No. 2 job. At tight end, Randy McMichael has the speed to stretch defenses.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Offensive line (rank 19th) All five starters played better than expected last year and they return, but there are concerns. Left tackle Mark Dixon will turn 33 during this season, and he was hindered by ankle injuries the past two seasons. Dixon no longer shows the lateral mobility needed in pass protection. Wade Smith was taken in the third round, but it's doubtful he can contribute this season. At center, Seth Mckinney could push Tim Ruddy because Ruddy lacks the power to be an effective run blocker.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Defensive line (rank 1st) Miami's front four is talented and deep. Tackles Tim Bowens and Larry Chester do an excellent job of clogging the middle and keeping blockers off the linebackers. Free-agent acquisition Jeff Zgonina is the best pass rusher of the three and will provide quality depth. Jason Taylor, who led the league in sacks last year, is one of the best ends in the league, and he should benefit from the emergence of Adewale Ogunleye. Rob Burnett, Jay Williams and David Bowens provide depth. Each can move inside on obvious passing downs.

inFINSible
07-06-2003, 10:24 AM
:huh:....I'm not sure DOLBET, I'll leave it here until somebody smartur than ME decides what to do.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Linebackers (rank 10th) Free-agent acquisition Junior Seau might be aging, but he still is an explosive tackler who will force some fumbles. Zach Thomas is coming off a carrer-high tackles total. He is one of the few inside linebackers in the league who doesn't have to be replaced in the nickel package. A concern entering the season is the play of Morlon Greenwood on the outside. He has been something of a disappointment.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Secondary (rank 3) Surprisingly, Sam Madison gave up a lot of big plays last season, but still he and Patrick Surtain make up one of the best corner tandems in the league. Both have skills to provide big plays. At safety, Brock Marion always seems to be around the ball. Sammy Knight, a top playmaker with the saints, should be just as productive in this defense.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Kickers (rank 9th) Olindo Mare's accuracy dipped to 77.4 percent in 2002 after he made better than 90 percent of his kicks the previous two seasons. He should rebound.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Return game (rank 13th) Charlie Rogers, who returned a kickoff for a touchdown last season, has the moves to make defenders miss, but he lacks breakaway speed.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 10:39 AM
The reason I posted those ranks and comments was that I think they are very fair with rankings. I think we are around 18th to 20th at quarterbacks now because we signed Griese. One thing I don't understand is why they ranks our receivers 28th??? That means only 4 other teams have worse receivers than us.....

iceblizzard69
07-06-2003, 11:28 AM
These people are STUPID. There are not 28 teams that have better QBs than we do, even before Griese. Fiedler is one of the better QBs in the league.

Also, I can't name a single better secondary than ours. We have a bunch of STUDS and CB and Safety.

Our WRs aren't great or anything, but they are around 20th in the league.

The offensive line has a lot of depth and opened up lots of nice holes for Ricky last year. They are a lot better than 19th.

M-REAL
07-06-2003, 11:50 AM
According to Street & Smith's fantasy report, here goes the following: For WR, they have Chambers ranked at #30th. Thompson is ranked at #57! (I am trying to compare reports with you) For defense they have us ranked at #9 in the league. For TE's, they have McMichael at #15. Ricky is ranked the same at #1. They have Fiedler ranked at #27. Considering the fact that they don't rank teams, just the individual.

minus
07-06-2003, 12:00 PM
Is kinda stupid because Jay Fiedler is excellent pick for fantasy football.I had Vick and Fiedler on my team and Fiedler before injury avg. 30 points per game.Fiedler is good for 2 TD's passing and 1 rushing.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 12:22 PM
"These people are STUPID. There are not 28 teams that have better QBs than we do, even before Griese. Fiedler is one of the better QBs in the league."

Thats right, Fiedler is in upper half of NFL but the magazine look at second string and third string also. At the time of ranking, Miami have Jay Fiedler for starter, Sage Rosenfels for second string and nobody for third string, maybe that is why they ranked us at 29th for quarterbacks...lack of depth. With Griese, we should be ranked 18 to 20th in my opinion.

"Also, I can't name a single better secondary than ours. We have a bunch of STUDS and CB and Safety."

They ranked Eagles no. 1 and Buccanders no. 2 for secondary. I have to agree, based to last year's performance...

"Our WRs aren't great or anything, but they are around 20th in the league"

On that, I agree with you.

ckparrothead
07-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Yeah actually I would tend to want to rank the Eagles and Bucs' secondaries above the Dolphins, however you do have to take into account the addition of Sammy Knight and the subtraction of Dexter Jackson and Al Harris.

So likely I would put the Dolphins at #2 behind only the Eagles who have a very very very good secondary. I mean not only do they have Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor who form a CB duo that rivals (but does not surpass) Surtain and Madison, but they've got Michael Lewis and Brian Dawkins at safety, which might very well be the best Safety tandem in the league...Tim Hauck still backin them up. At nickel CB they have Lito Sheppard, which I would have to say is better than Terrell Buckley. So I'd rank the Eagles ahead of the Phins with the understanding that if Sammy Knight is the same productive ball-hawk in this defense that he was in New Orleans (ie his speed limitations dont hurt us) and if Sam Madison returns to his old form, this is the best secondary in the league bar none you can throw Tampa and Philly right out the window.

I was pretty surprised they ranked our DL #1. Not surprised they ranked the QB situation #29, nor am I surprised they ranked McMichael #15 or our WR corp so low. We're talkin about positions with somethin to prove. Everyone out there is kind of viewing McMichael's production as a little bit of a fluke, they still remember his aweful production in the 2nd half of the season rather than the 1st half. Those that saw the games and were paying attention though could clearly see that the guy's speed was almost completely gone because of his foot injury, and we just weren't throwing to the TE much anymore because of the QB situation. If he stays healthy he should be a top 5 or even top 3 tight end...especially since Norv wants to feature him more this season. And if you cant understand why they rank McMichael so low, well try and ask yourself where Deion Branch is on your radar screen? First 6 games he caught 37 passes for 408 yards for the Patriots and looked like 2002's version of Chris Chambers. Over the next 7 games he caught 6 passes for 81 yards. He didn't play in the final 3 games and I'm not even sure if it was injury or if it was just being benched.

DOLBET
07-06-2003, 02:02 PM
Regarding Deion Branch, he was benched last 3 games because he had a groin injury but he dropped off lot before he was hurt.

ZOD
07-06-2003, 06:01 PM
Where is Migs at ? I'm gonna tell !! :judge:

ZOD
07-06-2003, 06:11 PM
I'm writing the names down. Let's see there is DOLBET and Marcusreal and inFINSible just fell down on the Job !

I'm tellin ya...Ya better git ta deletin'...Migs is coming back and when he does.......:samurai:

He might even bring Wharfrat with him..:club:

OH NO !! Here they come...:couch:

Can we win a SB
07-07-2003, 01:58 AM
I think our defense should be alittle better, due to the fact that we have very good starters, and also very good reliable depth chart.. like arturo freeman and david bowens(before he got injured) and eddie moore and all the subs...

M-REAL
07-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey! I didn't mean to do that Mr. 72! And besides, Infin said he would leave it here because he wasn't sure if Dolbets post was okay, ok?:nana: :couch:

Al13
07-08-2003, 07:21 AM
charlie rogers lacks breakaway speedddd ??????????? :lol:

stan marino
07-08-2003, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure whats so surprising about a fantasy football mag picking our qb's and wr's so low??? We are a running offense first and foremost, with the QB's just supposed to manage football games and not make mistakes. That doesnt sound like a good thing for fantasy football to me. Factor that with the fact none of our wr's have had a 1000yard season, and I can see why our passing game is rated so low. If we werent Dolphins fans and had a general knowledge of the AFC east, we would look at Mcknight and see a speedster that is old and couldnt even break the line up last year, Despite the fact he was the only wr in all the camps in the offseason. Same could be said of Thompson with his team last year in and out as the starter and all(although that was with spurrier so a bit different), Chambers took a bad hit and never seemed to fully recover bringing up concerns of if he can last a season as the go to guy, and Gadsden was an injury case from the get go.(i'm shocked it wasnt his feet that took him out instead of his wrist) Like CK said above alot to prove, but with that and a run oriented offense doesnt make for a big ff league ranking.