PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Online Help!

Miami 13
04-09-2007, 11:18 PM
OK, today I bought a PS3 and I always got my PS2 online working but I am having trouble with my PS3. When I go to Network Settings to set up my connection I get prompted to enter my PPPoE Login and password. I have no idea what this is. My internet service is sadly AOL(I use Firefox web browser though) because my mom wont switch to anything else and I thought maybe the PPPoE was my AOL scree name and password but that didn't work. Please Help!

mor911
04-09-2007, 11:22 PM
AOL doesn't authenticate using PPPoE. You'll need to either run a connected internet connection (using sharing) from your PS to your PS3, or to a router which then connects to the PS3...

Wait. How do you have the PS2 setup? This is confusing.

Miami 13
04-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I would unplug my internet connection cable from my modem and plug in my CAT-5 cable into it which runs directly into my PS3, it worked for my PS2.

mor911
04-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Well in that case it's one of two things.

1. AOL does use PPPoE. In this case, it should be (unless AOL is stupid -- Which they are known to be)
your AOL username and password. PPPoE stands for Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet... In english, It requires a username and password. I'd have to assume that since AOL is your ISP, the AOL username and password is what it needs.

2. AOL might get outsource their actual ISP broadband to another carrier like Bellsouth or Verizon in which case, PPPoE is not the connection method. then you need to mirror the PS2's settings, or call AOL try to talk to a nice young man in India to see if you can find the problem.

Agent51
04-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I have no clue what "PPPoE" is, but I don't see why it isn't working if it worked fine on your Playstation 2. Have you tried calling Sony's help line?

Is your AOL dial-up or broadband? If it's dial up maybe PS3's online network only supports broadband :confused:

I have no clue man, just tryin' to be of SOME assistance.