PDA

View Full Version : All-Pro Football 2K8 Thread

Bruzer
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I figured I would start the thread for anyone that wants to latest info on it can post it here.

This is some if not all from game informer i am looking for article scans atm but here is a summary (found at another site).

Edit :: I just found out this is from someone who got a early copy (little suspicious so take this with some possibility of bad info (although unlikely because it sounds about right) once I can get article scans we will know for sure.)

-No crib

-No first person football

-They have late hits

-You wont be able to recreate NFL teams or players

-No euphoria engine (at least the way they spoke of it)

-greatlly improved animation engine

-Injuries actually take into account the type of hit and angle

-They do away with the 0-100 rating system. They now use a tier system that takes into account +/- rating in many different catagories.

-Stadiums are very animated, for example one team is named the Rhinos and the stadium has a giant animatronic Rhino built into it.

-Crowds now have 64 different types all with 64 different types of animation.

-AI is GREATLYimproved, running backs now actually use cutback lanes and dont get themselves caught behind the line

-O-line/D-line interaction has been greatly improved as well

-They say early footage they have seen shows great improvment in transition animation which makes the game run even more smooth than before.

-They have much more complicated animations now, for example a QB throwing on the run while being hit

Motion
04-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Sounds awesome.

UltraDol-Fan
04-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I will definitely buy this game, I have been looking forward to it since I heard about it. Are you sure it's an ESPN game?

Bruzer
04-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I will definitely buy this game, I have been looking forward to it since I heard about it. Are you sure it's an ESPN game?

I actually was going to fix that i was thinking espn 2k5 its actually just All Pro Football 2k8 so if a admin could fix this that would be great.

Pagan
04-11-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm psyched for this game. I may be in the minority, but I'm sick of Madden.

Motion
04-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Late hits should be fun.

Bruzer
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I will still get madden but i am really looking forward to this game as well.

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-11-2007, 10:48 AM
There is one badly scanned page here, if you want a B&W grainly look. :D

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/thmst30/2k8.jpg

No doubt someone will get the rest of the 5 page article posted somewhere on the internet, in the next couple days. The actually Game Informer issue this came from is due out next week.

Hard to know how good this might be, until we get more details, but it's nice to have another football game option.

phinmania
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
espn 2k5 was the best football game ever made i cant wait for this

americanmoose84
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm psyched for this game. I may be in the minority, but I'm sick of Madden.Me to...I dont know how much of a minority it is.

Majpain
04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Finally a game thats good.

mor911
04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
espn 2k5 was the best football game ever made i cant wait for this:hi5:

Madden is one of the most over rated franchises in history.

Medieval954
04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
-You wont be able to recreate NFL teams or players

:tantrum:

TheMageGandalf
04-11-2007, 04:02 PM
:tantrum:

That pisses me off as well.

Because that to me means no editing of players.

I guess its OK only because players in the game are most likely fake anyway but this was one feature I was really hoping for since Madden doesn't have it...yet.

We'll see whats up as time goes on because I really don't want another EA half-baked Madden this year.

Majpain
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
If it has a 20 price tag I'll buy it. I'm really sick of EA's halfed *** games.

Agent51
04-11-2007, 05:04 PM
What the hell is/was the "euphoria engine"?

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-11-2007, 05:16 PM

A "realistic" physics engine for games. It handles collisions and such in just the way you'd expect things to happen in real life. I think it will be used by 2K Sports in most of the sports games probably starting 2008. Maybe some this year.

This would be one of "next-gen" features that would take games to a new level, besides better graphics. We'll see if it lives up to the hype.

BTW, as a long time 2K football fan, it startles me to see so many of you being down on Madden. Has EA dropped the ball so badly on the next-gen systems that even long-time fans are annoyed? :tantrum:

Competition, it's a good thing in sports, and videogames.

Medieval954
04-11-2007, 05:20 PM
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/articles/772/772822/vid_1934355.html
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/articles/772/772822/vid_1934354.html

Agent51
04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
A "realistic" physics engine for games. It handles collisions and such in just the way you'd expect things to happen in real life. I think it will be used by 2K Sports in most of the sports games probably starting 2008. Maybe some this year.

This would be one of "next-gen" features that would take games to a new level, besides better graphics. We'll see if it lives up to the hype.

BTW, as a long time 2K football fan, it startles me to see so many of you being down on Madden. Has EA dropped the ball so badly on the next-gen systems that even long-time fans are annoyed? :tantrum:

Competition, it's a good thing in sports, and videogames.

Thanks for the info on the euphoria engine :up:

And yes, Madden has dropped the ball pretty bad, but it's not ALL due to the no competition. First, problems the franchise has ALWAYS had have still yet to be addresses, mainly DB AI. I am SO sick of me throwing to a 99 rated WR who is covered by a 78 rated DB and who has about 10 yards of seperation on the DB and yet the DB somehow tractor breams to the ball for the INT, yet I have DBs rated 91, 89, 98, and 92 and they are QUADRUPLE covering a WR rated an 82 and yet SOMEHOW the ball gets past all of them into the WR hands :confused:. Or how my 99 rated speed WR catches a ball 10 yards away from an 80 speed rated DB and the DB can chase him down from behind, but then my 98 rated DB NEVER gains ground on an 80 speed rated WR (in fact he LOSES it, even while holding sprint). Those aren't even extreme examples, they're every quarter of every game occurances. It's been happening like that since Madden '94 on Sega Genesis, so THAT isn't a result of the exclusive license.

Second, The next gen versions are just wretched. I never owned Madden 06 on the 360, but I do have 07, and I hate it. First, I ALWAYS played on PS2, I HATED Madden on the XBox because the control layout sucked and the gameplay itself felt more "arcady" than the PS2 version. However, with the DRASTIC controller upgrade with the 360, and the fact that I couldn't go back to PS2 graphics after having a 360, I took the plunge and got it for the 360. Big mistake. Tell me how it is that I pay $10 MORE for a game on a next-gen system yet it lacks half the features of the current-gen version? You CANNOT edit players at all, be it name or equipment. That is a big issue for me. Nothing like making a trade and a famous guy is the wrong number (a lot of the times he gets number ZERO) and you can't change it. You also cannot create players in the offseason of franchises, so any players you wanna create you have to do BEFORE starting a franchise and then they have to be on the default team rosters, which messes up games when you wanna play a friend or play a quick match with normal teams. I always loved to create players in the offseason and make the 99s and have the comp sign them to up the ante in the game, now I can't do that unless it's all done before hand and I put them on teams myself. It especially sucks when 7 seasons in you think "OH MAN! That guy would be awesome to create in Madden!" and you can't do it now (in the 360 version, you CAN in the PS2/XBox versions). The draft is also wretched in the 360 version. No lie, 90% of the players are DEs every single year, unless you import NCAA classes, but who plays enough NCAA to have 30 draft classes saved, which is how long franchise mode is, so EVENTUALLY you will get crappy drafts. Offseason and the draft are my favorite parts about Madden, and there is NOTHING to look forward to here because you know that you won't be finding ANY help in the draft unless you need a DE. Even the other positions are always QB, TE, or HB, and they are never rated higher than a 74. Good luck finding a worthwhile guy at ANY other position.

Thirdly, these new "Hall of Fame" players SUCK. They "reward" you for certain accomplishments/gamer levels by unlocking HoF guys and letting you sign them in the game. Problem is, there are so friggin many of them and they are ALL rated 99 and the age of 24, so when you do a franchise and wanna follow the careers of certain rookies (like Young or Leinert or Bush etc) or even look forward to playing them, you get a rude surprise because the Titans take the field and you are expecting Vince Young and you get Y.A. Tittle. Then Vince NEVER gets to play, cuz Tittle is 99 overall and only 24, so he isn't retiring anytime soon. I have tried many times t get around this by not saving rosters when it says I unlocked some, so they won't even BE there for the computer to sign, but as soon as you make a move you wanna save, or save the franchise, it saves them too and then they are there and there is no getting rid of them. If they wanna have them, fine, it could be cool to build an all-time team in Quickplay or something, but there should be an option to TURN THEM OFF for franchises and seasons etc.

I will continue to buy Madden for the sole fact that I am a football nut and it gives me my fix, but this stuff is ridiculous. I never liked the ESPN games anyway, so them not being an option doesn't effect me because I wouldn't buy them even if they were, and even if I was a fan, a football game without the real teams and players just wouldn't hold my interest (unless it was Mutant League Football :rocker:).

SKing29
04-11-2007, 07:04 PM

And yes, Madden has dropped the ball pretty bad, but it's not ALL due to the no competition. First, problems the franchise has ALWAYS had have still yet to be addresses, mainly DB AI. I am SO sick of me throwing to a 99 rated WR who is covered by a 78 rated DB and who has about 10 yards of seperation on the DB and yet the DB somehow tractor breams to the ball for the INT, yet I have DBs rated 91, 89, 98, and 92 and they are QUADRUPLE covering a WR rated an 82 and yet SOMEHOW the ball gets past all of them into the WR hands :confused:. Or how my 99 rated speed WR catches a ball 10 yards away from an 80 speed rated DB and the DB can chase him down from behind, but then my 98 rated DB NEVER gains ground on an 80 speed rated WR (in fact he LOSES it, even while holding sprint). Those aren't even extreme examples, they're every quarter of every game occurances. It's been happening like that since Madden '94 on Sega Genesis, so THAT isn't a result of the exclusive license.

Second, The next gen versions are just wretched. I never owned Madden 06 on the 360, but I do have 07, and I hate it. First, I ALWAYS played on PS2, I HATED Madden on the XBox because the control layout sucked and the gameplay itself felt more "arcady" than the PS2 version. However, with the DRASTIC controller upgrade with the 360, and the fact that I couldn't go back to PS2 graphics after having a 360, I took the plunge and got it for the 360. Big mistake. Tell me how it is that I pay $10 MORE for a game on a next-gen system yet it lacks half the features of the current-gen version? You CANNOT edit players at all, be it name or equipment. That is a big issue for me. Nothing like making a trade and a famous guy is the wrong number (a lot of the times he gets number ZERO) and you can't change it. You also cannot create players in the offseason of franchises, so any players you wanna create you have to do BEFORE starting a franchise and then they have to be on the default team rosters, which messes up games when you wanna play a friend or play a quick match with normal teams. I always loved to create players in the offseason and make the 99s and have the comp sign them to up the ante in the game, now I can't do that unless it's all done before hand and I put them on teams myself. It especially sucks when 7 seasons in you think "OH MAN! That guy would be awesome to create in Madden!" and you can't do it now (in the 360 version, you CAN in the PS2/XBox versions). The draft is also wretched in the 360 version. No lie, 90% of the players are DEs every single year, unless you import NCAA classes, but who plays enough NCAA to have 30 draft classes saved, which is how long franchise mode is, so EVENTUALLY you will get crappy drafts. Offseason and the draft are my favorite parts about Madden, and there is NOTHING to look forward to here because you know that you won't be finding ANY help in the draft unless you need a DE. Even the other positions are always QB, TE, or HB, and they are never rated higher than a 74. Good luck finding a worthwhile guy at ANY other position.

Thirdly, these new "Hall of Fame" players SUCK. They "reward" you for certain accomplishments/gamer levels by unlocking HoF guys and letting you sign them in the game. Problem is, there are so friggin many of them and they are ALL rated 99 and the age of 24, so when you do a franchise and wanna follow the careers of certain rookies (like Young or Leinert or Bush etc) or even look forward to playing them, you get a rude surprise because the Titans take the field and you are expecting Vince Young and you get Y.A. Tittle. Then Vince NEVER gets to play, cuz Tittle is 99 overall and only 24, so he isn't retiring anytime soon. I have tried many times t get around this by not saving rosters when it says I unlocked some, so they won't even BE there for the computer to sign, but as soon as you make a move you wanna save, or save the franchise, it saves them too and then they are there and there is no getting rid of them. If they wanna have them, fine, it could be cool to build an all-time team in Quickplay or something, but there should be an option to TURN THEM OFF for franchises and seasons etc.

I will continue to buy Madden for the sole fact that I am a football nut and it gives me my fix, but this stuff is ridiculous. I never liked the ESPN games anyway, so them not being an option doesn't effect me because I wouldn't buy them even if they were, and even if I was a fan, a football game without the real teams and players just wouldn't hold my interest (unless it was Mutant League Football :rocker:).

Wow,you hit the nail on the head in every aspect about the short comings of Madden lately. Great Post :D

Brown42000
04-11-2007, 07:52 PM
espn 2k5 was the best football game ever made i cant wait for this
:sidelol:

mor911
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I agree with Phinmania.... I don't see what's so funny

Dolfan11
04-11-2007, 09:12 PM
While I've always been a Madden fan first, I appreciated the 2K series. This new game should be intriguing, but without real licensed NFL players, teams, stadiums, it just takes a huge piece of the game out. Ever since Madden expanded to next-gen (2006?) the last two titles have sucked. At this point, if they don't redo the game completely and fix that garbage they call a game, I think I'd be fine without the licensed players, teams, and stadiums.

Medieval954
04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
:sidelol:

Agreed.

Still the king.
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

:D

AirMarino83
04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
yes tecmo super bowl is the king!
the 2k game sounds great and all, but without the team/player edit, im not sure i can play it all the time.. it would bother me to not be able to play as the fins (or a created generic version of them).

Medieval954
04-12-2007, 01:49 AM
GameInformer article:

"Although the developer won't go into detail about the game's league structure, we know there won't be a franchise mode. No guiding your team through multiple years or drafting for the future."No Franchise mode + No Team/Player Edits = No Sale.

Thanks for nothing 2KSports.

Some small color scans for those who still care...
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/image058ti5-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/image060df5-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/image059zk3-1.jpg

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-12-2007, 02:27 AM
GameInformer article:
No Franchise mode + No Team/Player Edits = No Sale.

Some small color scans for those who still care...
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6934/image058ti5.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/804/image060df5.jpg

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7368/image059zk3.jpg

I am with you. No Franchise = no sale here. I could live without team/player edits.

PublixSubsRule
04-12-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't know about this game but i will tell you that i was upset with Madden 07 for PS3, my parents shoveled out $60.00 For a crappy *** game that I played for like 2 hours then quit.

I never play it now, it didn't have the Owner Mode (which i love), and the Franchise mode was absolutely horrible. The Controls sucked as well the navigation through trades and such also were horrible.

Although the game play was decent, if it doesn't impove a lot i will probably get that game.

PublixSubsRule
04-12-2007, 08:00 AM

I also agree you hit the nail on the head!!!

burger13
04-12-2007, 10:44 AM
As long as there are on-line leagues, I really wouldn't mind if there isn't a franchise mode.

Online Leagues >>>>>>>>> franchise mode IMO.

That is THE biggest problem with Madden. The competition had online leagues 3 years ago and they still don't??

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-12-2007, 12:44 PM
A few more details from the article, by the guy who took those photos:

You have to pick some things and focus. The idea of this game is not to encompass every feature in every football game"

It then says "Likewise, although the game will feature a number of customization features for your team, including options beyond the standard package for online play, you wont be able to recreate NFL teams or players"

Also it mentions something about your team and the quote below comes after they mention of the new rating system.
Maybe this will be some insight to what type of Franchise mode or their version of it

Quote "Gamers will be able to build there team through a pool of players. Here is where you can play GM and mold the team to your liking . Because you dont have to wonder about the difference between 80 or 81 rated wide receiver, you have a better idea how to combine these individuals to shape your teams playing philosophy as well as overall strengths and weaknesses. Once play begins, you can create and expliot mismatches among players and taileryour game plan to your strengths. This will be immediately evidentwhen you take the game online. Here you can create multiple teams and pick which one gives you the best chance of winning when matched up against your opponents own creations." end quote

Also says that in regards to ratings, superstar players will have sperate special abilities such as being good at 4th qtr comebacks, however even lower ranked players will have key skills that will come in handy.

Note that it talks about "HAVING a number of customization features for your team" and that you can play GM by building a number of different teams for USE ONLINE. There is a STRONG focus on online play for this game, which Madden has ignored for years. That is the niche I think 2K is going for with this game, the online players.

I'm very interested in how this turns out.

Brown42000
04-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree with Phinmania.... I don't see what's so funny
There is no way ESPN 2K5 was the best football game ever and I find it funny that some people actually think that.

Agent51
04-12-2007, 04:54 PM
There is no way ESPN 2K5 was the best football game ever and I find it funny that some people actually think that.

Presentation was about the only thing that was the best IMO, and only the year they had Sportscenter and Chris Berman and all the ESPN graphics. I always thought the gameplay and controls were hideous, and I never saw anything great with the graphics that people always raved about.

UltraDol-Fan
04-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Put me in the boat with the guys who think ESPN 2k5 was and is the best football game ever.

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-12-2007, 05:27 PM
no front page sports football 95 fans?

DENVERDOLFAN
04-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Put me in the boat with the guys who think ESPN 2k5 was and is the best football game ever.

Ditto.

TheMageGandalf
04-12-2007, 09:52 PM
GameInformer article:
No Franchise mode + No Team/Player Edits = No Sale.

Ughhh...game over for me too.

Oh well, If Madden sucks again I'll just skip it this year altogether and keep playing the 2005 version.

Enforcerfin33
04-13-2007, 08:24 AM
I welcome any game that I dont have to listen to Madden say moronic things such as" he's not a good athlete, he's not a good runner, but he does basketball moves well in football..." :confused: