PDA

View Full Version : Sony kills 20GB PS3

Medieval954
04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Just as Microsoft's about to introduce a new Xbox 360 SKU, Sony's announced they're removing one from the marketplace. Sony Computer Entertainment America announced today they've officially dropped the PlayStation 3 20GB SKU and will no longer be offering the cheaper, Wi-Fi less model to North American retailers. Sony says a 10-to-1 retailer demand for the 60GB SKU has prompted the move.http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158656

$599 or nothing. Thanks Sony!

Agent51
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158656

$599 or nothing. Thanks Sony!

Smart. If nobody wanted it why continue selling it and losing money?

Medieval954
04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Smart. If nobody wanted it why continue selling it and losing money?

They lose massive money on the PS3 anyway. I just didn't like the fact they acted like they were doing everyone a favor by offering a gimped PS3 for $499. Seeing the beating they are taking worldwide, they should've lowered the 60GB PS3 to $499 if they are gonna kill off the 20GB version.

Either way, I expect a price drop at E3.

Agent51
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
They lose massive money on the PS3 anyway. I just didn't like the fact they acted like they were doing everyone a favor by offering a gimped PS3 for $499. Seeing the beating they are taking worldwide, they should've lowered the 60GB PS3 to $499 if they are gonna kill off the 20GB version.

Either way, I expect a price drop at E3.

I know they lose massive money on the PS3 period, that's why I'm saying dropping the version nobody is even buying is a smart move, it will cut the losses a little.

As far as it being "gimped" IDK about that, it was the same thing minus the wi-fi and a memeory card reader, it made sense for "casual" gamers because it still had a 20GB HD and HDMI and Blu-Ray. If that is a "gimped" version what would the 360 core system be? Not trying to start that huge debate again, I'm just saying the PS3's "core" system made sense, the 360's does not.

Medieval954
04-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I know they lose massive money on the PS3 period, that's why I'm saying dropping the version nobody is even buying is a smart move, it will cut the losses a little.

As far as it being "gimped" IDK about that, it was the same thing minus the wi-fi and a memeory card reader, it made sense for "casual" gamers because it still had a 20GB HD and HDMI and Blu-Ray. If that is a "gimped" version what would the 360 core system be? Not trying to start that huge debate again, I'm just saying the PS3's "core" system made sense, the 360's does not.

I agree as well, the $299 Xbox 360 Core is just as silly to me. Everyone knows the "real" Xbox 360 is $399. But, at least the option is there for $100 less. Sony just took away that option for the PS3. The minimum cost of entry for a PS3 just went up $100. Not very consumer friendly when everyone's sore spot about the system in the first place is the price.

Agent51
04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I agree as well, the $299 Xbox 360 Core is just as silly to me. Everyone knows the "real" Xbox 360 is $399. But, at least the option is there for $100 less. Sony just took away that option for the PS3. The minimum cost of entry for a PS3 just went up $100. Not very consumer friendly when everyone's sore spot about the system in the first place is the price.

This is true, but at the same time, if nobody was buying it they figured they'd only be isolating a small group of people. IDK, I can't speak for either company, I just know that if I'm gonna spend that much on a console I'm spending the extra money to get the best one I can, :lol:

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
The option is stupid. There should be minimal options when it comes to consoles. The 20 GB version should of never existed. Just like the "core" xbox360 should of never existed.

Agent51
04-11-2007, 06:46 PM
The option is stupid. There should be minimal options when it comes to consoles. The 20 GB version should of never existed. Just like the "core" xbox360 should of never existed.

I tend to agree, as the entire draw of console gaming is every ystem is th same exact thing witht he same specs and plays every game the same. If you want all these options buy a gaming PC. That seems to be where this is heading, as, for example, the core system of the 360 can't do what the "premium" one can, because you can't DL games/demos and that type of stuff. Can you even go online with it without a hard drive? If not, that isolates a lot of games "core" owners can play, meaning it is similar to a PC and nothing like a console.

Dolfan5000
04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Dude, your sig needs explanation. Do I have to see the movie to understand it?

Motion
04-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Dude, your sig needs explanation. Do I have to see the movie to understand it?

Sounds like that particular critic thought the movie was pretty bad. :lol:

Deus Ex Dolphin
04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
This is true, but at the same time, if nobody was buying it they figured they'd only be isolating a small group of people. IDK, I can't speak for either company, I just know that if I'm gonna spend that much on a console I'm spending the extra money to get the best one I can, :lol:

That is why the the 20GB PS3 should have been offered alongside the first price drop on the PS3. Right now, the hardcore are buying, and they'll spend that extra $100 to get a couple more features.

What Sony needs is the lowest price possible, as soon as possible. Introducing the 20GB PS3, at $399, along with a $499 60GB version would have given consumers some options, and $400 is the buying point for a lot more people than $500 is. Not the hardcore, of course, but just more casual gamers.

Sony went about this the wrong way.

Mike13
04-16-2007, 12:09 PM
That is why the the 20GB PS3 should have been offered alongside the first price drop on the PS3. Right now, the hardcore are buying, and they'll spend that extra $100 to get a couple more features.

What Sony needs is the lowest price possible, as soon as possible. Introducing the 20GB PS3, at $399, along with a $499 60GB version would have given consumers some options, and $400 is the buying point for a lot more people than $500 is. Not the hardcore, of course, but just more casual gamers.

Sony went about this the wrong way.

Agreed, but they'd lose even more $$$ that way, so "**** the customer"

Dol-Fan Dupree
04-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Agreed, but they'd lose even more $$$ that way, so "**** the customer"

so a company not wanting to lose an extra $100 on the already over $100 they are losing on each console is "curse word for having sex" the customer?

Phin-o-rama
04-16-2007, 12:34 PM
could you add wifi to the 20gb model to make it like the 60gb model?

the hdd's are swappable easily by the consumer (i really like that) so the size doesn't mean anything...

are there any other differences between the 20 and 60?

Dolfan5000
04-16-2007, 02:49 PM
could you add wifi to the 20gb model to make it like the 60gb model?

the hdd's are swappable easily by the consumer (i really like that) so the size doesn't mean anything...

are there any other differences between the 20 and 60?
in the 20 GB there are no memory card slots for sandisk cards and two other slots that I have no clue right now as of their uses.

Dolfan5000
04-16-2007, 02:51 PM
in the 20 GB there are no memory card slots for sandisk cards and two other slots that I have no clue right now as of their uses.
these
"Memory Stick, Secure Digital and CompactFlash media card slots"

Predaphin
04-17-2007, 09:55 AM
It's only logical. Who would want to buy the 20 gig? If you're going to buy a next gen console, go all out and get the best one.

Megatron
04-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I sell the PS3 and nobody really wanted the 20GB model. I haven't had them in my store in months so this isn't a shocker.

Fresh
04-22-2007, 02:27 AM
Don't know why in the hell anyone would buy the 20gb to begin with.